What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Just as a counter note to all of the people out partying, my neighborhood in Minneapolis is dead quiet. I occasionally see a couple of people walking a dog down the street, but I've never seen anyone grouped or partying or anything. In my few trips out for supplies the roads have been clearer than I've ever seen and people are distancing in line, in the aisles, etc. Hopefully we're doing enough up here.

Read my post just above. This is exactly what my experience today was.

My neighbors are having a cookout right now. I can see their entire yard from my 2nd story window with about 10 people. My next door neighbor have their front door open all day blasting music. Everyone is out. 
The government has to outlaw this activity or it will happen.  It’s just human nature. We just got a letter from the govt with the guidelines saying keep groups at 10 or less.  If that’s what the govt (local and federal) suggests, that’s what people will do.

If people need to isolate in their own homes and see no one, the govt needs to say that.  Otherwise they won’t do it.  

Just as a counter note to all of the people out partying, my neighborhood in Minneapolis is dead quiet. I occasionally see a couple of people walking a dog down the street, but I've never seen anyone grouped or partying or anything. In my few trips out for supplies the roads have been clearer than I've ever seen and people are distancing in line, in the aisles, etc. Hopefully we're doing enough up here.
I mean this in a completely non discriminatory way. It also could be a cultural issue for me? I live in an almost entirely Dominican neighborhood. Backyard cooksout, BBQs and loud spanish/mexican music is always on blast. FWIW I chose to live here, I love my neighborhood and I'm glad they love me, but at least in my neighborhood, everyone is out and about. MY african american neighbor hasn't left his house in weeks. We text back and forth to stay in touch in case one of us needs something but we've been the quietest 2 houses on the block. (I'm the biggest gringo in the world BTW, other than being able to speak fluent Spanish)

Last edited by a moderator:
So yesterday our city announced that they will be removing all basketball hoops from city parks this morning.

Facebook blew up with all those people who still think this whole thing is a hoax to get.... (oh wait... that's political... so I can't mention that here).

Anyway, all these pissed off women with kids who can't play basketball anymore decide to turn to the tides to the subject of golf courses... which Ohio Governor DeWine's press secretary told the public may remain open as long as they follow some guidelines. These pissed off parents who think it's all a hoax are now up in arms about how unfair it is the poofor kids can't play basketball, but "rich folk" can still play golf. They start defining "essential" by their own opinions. It took off on a life of it's own.

Well guess what... they just got their way. Despite the Governors press secretary giving them the okay to remain open, our City just ordered them to close. 

I don't golf. So this isn't a personal thing. But I honestly do not see the problem with golfing as long as the guidelines they must follow are followed. In my opinion, while we are all doing this "shelter in place", people need to get out and get some sun and fresh air. They need to walk in parks. Walking a golf course while playing a game of golf is just as good. I guess the golfers in our city will just have to commute to other cities to golf, as again, the state allows golfing even during this. 
Local news had a video segment this afternoon  of a number of groups (perhaps 10-15 people) fleeing a soccer field, jumping fences, and tearing out in their vehicles after news cameras began fiming. Apparently, the police had already instructed them to leave.  This occurred in Gaithersburg, MD, just outside of DC.

Has there been any updates/developments with the use of blood plasma from recovered people for treatment?  Was a cool angle when I first read about it a week ago or so

Yeah, I've been surprised to read those types of posts.  Not seeing it at all where I am (Seattle area).  Went to the grocery yesterday for the first time in two weeks, and everyone was very purposefully staying a safe distance from each other.  The grocery helped by having tape down everywhere showing six-foot distances, cashiers behind large plastic shields, gloves and sanitizer available all over the store, wiping down the conveyor and credit-card machine after every customer, etc. 

I've also done a few walks this week, and when I come across anyone we all naturally move far apart.  I live within blocks of three schools and have seen no kids on any of the athletic fields, playgrounds, etc.  In fact I've barely seen anyone out at all.  Guess different areas are having different results.  Of course, people in Seattle are generally unfriendly and socially distant anyway, so maybe that helps.  🙂 

Yeah, I've been surprised to read these types of posts.  Not seeing this at all where I am (Seattle area).  Went to the grocery yesterday for the first time in two weeks, and everyone was very purposefully staying a safe distance from each other.  The grocery helped by having tape down everywhere showing six-foot distances, cashiers behind large plastic shields, gloves and sanitizer available all over the store, wiping down the conveyor and credit-card machine after every customer, etc. 

I've also done a few walks this week, and when I come across anyone we all naturally move far apart.  I live within blocks of three schools and have seen no kids on any of the athletic fields, playgrounds, etc.  In fact I've barely seen anyone out at all.  Guess different areas are having different results.  Of course, people in Seattle are generally unfriendly and socially distant anyway, so maybe that helps.  🙂 
2 weeks ago when it was 40 degrees out, it was a ghost town. Today when it hit near 70 for the first time in many months, it was like Dorothy stepping out of her house into Munchkin Land. 

I almost thought about calling the police on the liquor store. They have the sign posted no more than 4 people at a time but people kept walking in. 

My CVS doesn't have a drive thru either. 

I'm officially worried now (I was taking all the precautions before) but I was literally out of food, dog food, and my medicine that I need
CVS was one I remember who said free rx delivery.

I mean this in a completely non discriminatory way. It also could be a cultural issue for me? I live in an almost entirely Dominican neighborhood. Backyard cooksout, BBQs and loud spanish/mexican music is always on blast. FWIW I chose to live here, I love my neighborhood and I'm glad they love me, but at least in my neighborhood, everyone is out and about. MY african american neighbor hasn't left his house in weeks. We text back and forth to stay in touch in case one of us needs something but we've been the quietest 2 houses on the block. (I'm the biggest gringo in the world BTW, other than being able to speak fluent Spanish)
It sounds like a very cool neighborhood.    :thumbup:

(100 year pandemics excepted of course)

Yeah, I've been surprised to read these types of posts.  Not seeing this at all where I am (Seattle area).  Went to the grocery yesterday for the first time in two weeks, and everyone was very purposefully staying a safe distance from each other.  The grocery helped by having tape down everywhere showing six-foot distances, cashiers behind large plastic shields, gloves and sanitizer available all over the store, wiping down the conveyor and credit-card machine after every customer, etc. 

Glad to hear that since my mom is in Kent.  We don't have this level of containment in my area.

Is it my imagination or have things really ratcheted up today? I have been one of those people who really have believed this was going to be bad, but it seems the sense of urgency has really gone up a notch in the last 24 hours. 

Wow. In New Orleans, need to use mask until soiled.
Ohio hospitals are saving their used masks in hopes that they can eventually be sterilized.

ETA - in today's press conference, Dr. Amy Acton said some New York doctors are wearing trash bags for PPE.

It's a national nightmare.

Is it my imagination or have things really ratcheted up today? I have been one of those people who really have believed this was going to be bad, but it seems the sense of urgency has really gone up a notch in the last 24 hours. 
I think part of it is that each day ppe and ventilators are not arriving to hospitals where they are counting down their days to their individual doomsday is elevating the urgency and fear. 

We Minnesotans are used to being more or less homebound 3 or more months every year. That may have something to do with it. In my city, the streets and neighborhoods are quiet and when my family and I are out for walks joggers and dog walkers cross the street out of courtesy.  Also, this city isn't very large and has very few densely packed areas. May be the safest place in the country right now. 

Ship from Panama wants to dock in FL. Holland America Cruise Ship.

134 sick from ?

4 passengers died

2 have tested cv-19 +

Ship from Panama wants to dock in FL. Holland America Cruise Ship.

134 sick from ?

4 passengers died

2 have tested cv-19 +
People are still getting on these cruise ships? good lord.
Not really.  This one started March 7, and the cruise was supposed to end about a week ago in Chile.  It's been floating around looking for a place to go for a while, and finally headed back to Florida a couple of days ago.

Of course, people in Seattle are generally unfriendly and socially distant anyway, so maybe that helps.  🙂 
Seems like they’re also smart and understand what’s at stake.

Another interesting point that you mention about different areas having different results. The Seattle area is pretty well known for having a highly educated populace. I would guess that trait helps in a situation like this.

Glad to hear though. There were a couple of articles today about Washington that we’re fairly optimistic.

Not really.  This one started March 7, and the cruise was supposed to end about a week ago in Chile.  It's been floating around looking for a place to go for a while, and finally headed back to Florida a couple of days ago.
Of course, Florida. 

I am curious about self diagnosing because this thing is so ####ing insidious.  A close friend of mine tested positive today and was admitted immediately because he’s high risk due to medical condition. No fever, just felt a bit off since Saturday. Then some fatigue, and his doctor ordered a test which came back positive for C19.  He’s been in lockdown, albeit with his family home, for almost two weeks. 
Almost impossible since it has so many traits like the common cold, flu, or allergies.    Runny nose, upset stomach, diarrhea, aches and pains.     If your temperature is elevated means you may have been a carrier possibly.  GL

Another interesting point that you mention about different areas having different results. The Seattle area is pretty well known for having a highly educated populace. I would guess that trait helps in a situation like this.

Glad to hear though. There were a couple of articles today about Washington that we’re fairly optimistic.
Yup. Love reading about what UW is doing. 1988 grad from there.

I'm in northern Utah. Our health district has 170,000 people. 7 positive for cv only one so far from community spread. I don't see very many people that have really changed their activities. I hope we are doing better than it looks like. 

The general mood here seems to be slightly optimistic, all things considered.  I do feel like businesses and people here took some of the more extreme precautions pretty quickly, and of course since we were the first to get cases, we're a little ahead of the curve in that way, too.

Of course, Florida. 
Fort Lauderdale, if that helps at all.  (Are you in Tampa?)

Our neighborhood (and I sure we aren’t unique) has been doing bear hunts for the little ones. Houses put teddy bears in their windows and families walk about and the kids count bears. Stupid? Maybe, but I can see the stress this virus causes my 15 year old and any way we can take the stress off a four or six year old for even a minute, seems to be worth it. 

I mean...the last time I went to work in NYC (2 weeks ago this upcoming monday) the building had a cleaning employee (wearing a mask and gloves) walking around with a box of wipes wiping down the elevator buttons continuously every single time a person touched them to go upstairs. And even with that level of care, NYC is a disaster right now.

The fact that people are still having freaking 20 person cookouts 12 days later even with what we know is going on is just absurd.

We're just a country full of incredibly stupid, selfish people. And because of our "freedoms", the government simply wont enforce anything official.  

Combine this with the messages we're getting from the government, we're all going to be stuck in our house eating stockpiled canned soup through the Fall. (and tens of thousands will die anyway)

Our neighborhood (and I sure we aren’t unique) has been doing bear hunts for the little ones. Houses put teddy bears in their windows and families walk about and the kids count bears. Stupid? Maybe, but I can see the stress this virus causes my 15 year old and any way we can take the stress off a four or six year old for even a minute, seems to be worth it. 
I think that's an awesome idea, I love it.

The general mood here seems to be slightly optimistic, all things considered.  I do feel like businesses and people here took some of the more extreme precautions pretty quickly, and of course since we were the first to get cases, we're a little ahead of the curve in that way, too.

Fort Lauderdale, if that helps at all.  (Are you in Tampa?)
Yes, Tampa. Keep them all as far away as possible. (None of them are coming into my living room so whatever I guess) 

I worry about this myself 
Reminds me about what my oncologist told me regarding cancer. All it takes is for 1 sleeper cell to have been missed in treatments and when it wakes up, bam. It's back. So it's a similar feeling of possibly being cvoid asymptomatic and with the possibility of getting worse, especially those of us with a sucko profile to begin with. Except for us it's for life.

Minnesota’s proactive plan... thoughts?

https://theweek.com/articles/904964/why-minnesotas-coronavirus-response-different

On Wednesday afternoon, my family gathered in our living room to hear Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D) announce the next phase in our state's response to the novel coronavirus. Walz has issued nearly two dozen executive orders pertaining to COVID-19, but this was the big one: a state-wide stay-at-home order running from March 27 through April 10.

I will grant from the outset that Minnesota, as a state, is a little self-obsessed. (Woe betide the coastal journalist who runs afoul of us.) So perhaps there is some of that Minnesota bias in play when I say: The plan Walz outlined is unique — in a good a way. Of course, it inevitably has a lot in common with what other states are doing. Recommendations of social distancing, for example, are universal. But there are ways the Minnesota proposal is different, and in these uncharted waters, they're worth a closer look.

ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not sure what I expected when we turned on our radio, but a message substantially devoted to explanations of statistical modeling wasn't it. That is, however, what Walz delivered. Minnesota has 235 ICU beds, Walz said, and if we changed nothing about our regular routines, we'd fill every one with coronavirus patients within six weeks. By nine weeks, the models from the Minnesota Department of Health and the University of Minnesota predict, we'd reach an epidemic peak of about 2.4 million infections, 60,000 hospitalizations, and 6,000 people in need of an ICU bed — a need current capacity obviously couldn't meet. The death toll would climb accordingly.

That dire prediction is already off the table, because we've already done some mitigation. Cellphone data shows Minnesotans have reduced our movement by nearly 50 percent, better than many states have achieved. But also off the table is successfully staving off a large peak of infections. "It's too late to flatten the curve as we talked about," Walz said, because large-scale testing was not available soon enough to pursue a less disruptive response, so the goal now "is to move the infection rate out."

The stay-at-home order Walz debuted is designed to that end. If the statistical models prove correct, those 235 ICU beds won't be full until the 11-week mark, and the infection peak will come in 14 weeks rather than nine. With the extra time, local stadiums and hotels will be converted to temporary hospitals to dramatically increase ICU capacity. "The attempt here is to strike a proper balance of making sure our economy can function; we protect the most vulnerable; [and] we slow the [infection] rate to buy us time and build out our capacity to deal with this," said Walz. So it's two weeks of the stay-at-home order, followed by three weeks of social distancing, followed by ongoing distancing for vulnerable populations.

That timeline could change, true, but the fact that we have it at all is a key distinction. Comparable orders in many states either have no expiration date (e.g. California) or have an expiration date much further out (e.g. Delaware, which started its shelter-in-place earlier and intends to continue until May 15). Minnesota's plan has not only a short period for the most stringent limits but also an end in sight for the lesser distancing measures to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Also distinct is the promise of concrete action while the order is in place. The whole reason this is a major crisis is that though its still-to-be-determined fatality rate is pretty low, COVID-19's novelty and transmissibility let it rapidly overload our hospital capacity, resulting in deaths that would be preventable with adequate health-care resources. So, as far as I can tell, there are two ways to prevent deaths until a vaccine is available: reduce infections or increase medical care. (Mass testing would help with both — see the enormously compelling evidence from Germany — as well as with economic turmoil, as it could allow those identified as recovered and therefore immune to move about normally without endangering themselves or others.)

Distancing and stay-at-home orders reduce infections, but those who warn we can't do this forever are correct. As adamantly as I support distancingmeasures and reject the idea that vulnerable populations must die for the greater (economic) good, I'm as worried as any about the economic and social consequences of a national shutdown.

But if we can expand our hospital capacity before the pandemic peaks, we have a shot at getting back to something approximating normalcy relatively quickly without paying an unacceptable human cost. Minnesota, far from coastal ports and with a low caseload so far, can do this before the worst arrives in a way places hit earlier and harder could not. States in similar circumstances can copy this plan and maybe even extend help to neighboring states in more acute crises of care.

I’ve been absent a few days, checking in but not posting.

Of the things that have given me optimism, the American spirit of rushing to help has been in full display.  What a crisis like this allows us to see is the best of humanity on display.  To our first responders, healthcare professionals and all those support workers...your efforts are truly Herculean amidst these times.

I worry that not only are we playing catch-up...but more so that we’ve got a pretty big deficit.  Even if the game-changers as they’ve been called materialized, the extent that we can disseminate the execution of treatment...we just waited an unnecessary week for GM to be compelled to start producing 10,000 ventilators every two weeks.

We just passed 100K cases.  This time two weeks from now, we’ll likely be 2M+.  To think that the number were at will be 5% of the national total...and were already seeing a stretched healthcare response.  Imagine this 20x...you won’t have to.  It’s 14 days away.

I’ve  gone from tracking countries tallies, to counting county tallies (try saying that 3 times fast).  But while we are watching N.Y. fight this in earnest as their healthcare system gets submerged...this is something now at all of our doorsteps.  In some ways, the national response to this is going to become secondary to many communities.  They’ll be knee deep in it.

Theres been a ton of great info here, it’s been a lifeline of community for me.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread