What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Our neighborhood (and I sure we aren’t unique) has been doing bear hunts for the little ones. Houses put teddy bears in their windows and families walk about and the kids count bears. Stupid? Maybe, but I can see the stress this virus causes my 15 year old and any way we can take the stress off a four or six year old for even a minute, seems to be worth it. 
Bear is delicious. Wild game meat FTW

Last edited by a moderator:
My work is doubling any charitable donations I give right now for next month.

Who has some good ones that are in extra need right now? 

I suspect I have already recovered from CORVID-19 and would like to take an antibody test when it becomes available.
I had a mild fever no other symptoms a few days after seeing her (I babysat their 3 month old daughter who also has a mild cold). I think I had it but would love an antibody test. 

My work is doubling any charitable donations I give right now for next month.

Who has some good ones that are in extra need right now? 
I don't have a specific one, but I think replacing meals for children who are missing out because of shuttered schools would probably top my list. Only decent meal some kids get is in the lunchroom each day.

Is it my imagination or have things really ratcheted up today? I have been one of those people who really have believed this was going to be bad, but it seems the sense of urgency has really gone up a notch in the last 24 hours. 
We've blown through 100k cases and are not slowing down.  We are just not taking this seriously enough.

I mean...the last time I went to work in NYC (2 weeks ago this upcoming monday) the building had a cleaning employee (wearing a mask and glove) walking around with a box of wipes wiping down the elevator buttons continuously every single time a person touched them to go upstairs.

The fact that people are still having freaking 20 person cookouts 12 days later even with what we know is going on is just absurd.

We're just a country full of incredibly stupid, selfish people.

And because of our "freedoms", the government simply wont enforce anything official.  

Combine this with the messages we're getting from the government, we're all going to be stuck in our house eating stockpiled canned soup through the Fall.
No doubt there is a lot of selfishness, but I honestly think ignorance is a large part of the problem.

The messaging coming from our Federal government officials is... not good.

We need truthful messaging and leadership like many state governors are providing.

We need constant, credible, government supported advertising on all the social media platforms showing people what to do and why to do it - use top celebrities to help with this.

People also need to be shown graphically what's already happened and is now happening in Italy and in New York. 

Put a warning on the screen to get the kids out of the room, then show what the hospitals in those places are really like right now. 

Show them what exhausted doctors wearing makeshift PPE look like. 

Let them hear doctors describing how heartbreaking it is to have to choose who lives and who dies due to lack of equipment.

I'm just barely old enough to remember seeing Vietnam war footage on the news every night.  We're basically in a war now, and anyone that doesn't understand that needs to be quickly brought up to that level of realization so they can start making choices that help rather than hinder.

I do believe that a meaningful amount of people would do the right thing if they were made aware of what they need to do and why they need to do it.

Our neighborhood (and I sure we aren’t unique) has been doing bear hunts for the little ones. Houses put teddy bears in their windows and families walk about and the kids count bears. Stupid? Maybe, but I can see the stress this virus causes my 15 year old and any way we can take the stress off a four or six year old for even a minute, seems to be worth it. 
Our town library put up a video, read the book to the watchers. Asked the town to put bears in the window. Thought it was a cute idea when I heard it. Took a walk today, work has been rough and it was a nice day... Imagine my surprise when I saw bears all over. About 1/3 of the neighbors when to town. Bears in wagons, chairs, stuffed into windows. It was awesome. I realized I was still a kid at heart cause I was looking for those darn bears on my entire walk. (No! I totally wasn't peeping at those windows! :unsure: )  It was a legit great walk. Who ever had this idea was brilliant. Just brilliant.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/19 - 164,646 reported cases - 6,800 dead - USA 14,299 cases - 218 dead

3/20 - 194,589 reported cases - 8,126 dead - USA 19,383 cases - 256 dead

3/21 - 225,885 reported cases - 9,771 dead - USA 26,112 cases - 325 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/23 - 297,299 reported cases - 13,221 dead - USA 43,449 cases - 545 dead

3/24 - 340,116 reported cases - 15,527 dead - USA 53,595 cases - 696 dead

3/25 - 387,081 reported cases - 17,899 dead - USA 65,652 cases - 931 dead

3/26 - 450,923 reported cases - 20,798 dead - USA  85,594 cases - 1,300 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Some good news there. Not expected to mutate into more lethal strains.
It’s roughly two mutations per month, regular flu is 10 per month. The basic sequencing doesn’t change.

Whereas seasonal flu needs a new vaccine every year, the first Covid-19 vaccine will likely be effective for several years (e.g., you might need a booster y2y but they won’t need to develop the next vaccine for awhile.)

Our town library put up a video, read the book to the watchers. Asked the town to put bears in the window. Thought it was a cute idea when I heard it. Took a walk today, work has been rough and it was a nice day... Imagine my surprise when I saw bears all over. About 1/3 of the neighbors when to town. Bears in wagons, chairs, stuffed into windows. It was awesome. I realized I was still a kid at heart cause I was looking for those darn bears on my entire walk. (No! I totally wasn't peeping at those windows! :unsure: )  It was a legit great walk. Who ever had this idea was brilliant. Just brilliant.
This popped up here in RI, as well. Got one of those big bears and will be participating starting tomorrow. 

https://turnto10.com/news/local/social-distancing-bear-hunts-uniting-neighbors-across-nation

This popped up here in RI, as well. Got one of those big bears and will be participating starting tomorrow. 

https://turnto10.com/news/local/social-distancing-bear-hunts-uniting-neighbors-across-nation
We have a couple of small ones in the windows now. I think we have have a large one buried someone in storage, somewhere. Tomorrow's goal is to try to find it and do something fun. Current idea is to have it sit on my porch roof. It will be outside, somehow. Maybe on one of my porch chairs. We'll see. 

We have a couple of small ones in the windows now. I think we have have a large one buried someone in storage, somewhere. Tomorrow's goal is to try to find it and do something fun. Current idea is to have it sit on my porch roof. It will be outside, somehow. Maybe on one of my porch chairs. We'll see. 
We have a huge one to put out, but unfortunately have snow coming in tonight. 

We have the virus to worry about, but man is the center of the country in for it the next day or so. The power of the wind today/coupled with snow tonight, means big thunderstorms for the Midwest the next few days.☹️ Watch the skies, guys. 

@BrianEntin: COVID-19 South Florida Law Enforcement numbers:
-Miami Police: 2 officers positive, 37 in isolation
-Broward Sheriff’s Office: 4 positives, 207 self isolating/monitoring 
-Miami Dade PD: 1 positive, 19 in isolation
-Coral Gables Police: 2 positives

We have a huge one to put out, but unfortunately have snow coming in tonight. 

We have the virus to worry about, but man is the center of the country in for it the next day or so. The power of the wind today/coupled with snow tonight, means big thunderstorms for the Midwest the next few days.☹️ Watch the skies, guys. 
The one saving grace of this isolation has been the great weather here.  Between having a large park nearby and working on the lawn, it has been great to break up the work at the CPU and go outdoors.  Of course, a bunch of idiots got all the state parks around closed by crowding them last weekend :wall:  

Really feel for you guys with ####ty or dangerous weather.  Stay safe GB

Run it up a flagpole and see if anyone salutes it.

For the record, right now in Rhode Island State Troopers are instructed to pull over anyone with a NY plates to check on their status. I guess it's a reaction to the amount of beachhouse vacation homes here. We're the smallest state but sandwiched between Boston and NY. 

Does the WHO count?  Or will you not recognize their expertise?
I've worked with WHO in Afghanistan. They're a large organization with a lot of good people - but there are also a lot of bureaucrats. There are many times they're not in a position to challenge what they're told (and it's really not their mission). There were many times our medical teams would get briefings from WHO and we'd just look at each other like "OK I guess that's the official line".  These villages are perfectly fine, these need your help. Don't go here, go over here.

WHO is actually who I had in mind when I specified an org not parroting what they're told. When this first broke and China was covering it up and doctors who were trying to get the word out on social media and then disappearing, WHO was repeating verbatim what the Chinese authorities were presenting. I wasn't the least surprised because I'd already seen it first hand. Again, not disparaging WHO, the problem is China, but frequently the data WHO has can't be trusted.

If you are going to read anything on COVID moving forward, please read this.

We are in big, big trouble.
Interesting read, but don’t get this

Despite exponential math being super predictable, the virus continues to use exponential math against all of us in a very tricky way: one of the biggest problems is all of our brains are designed to process information logarithmically (linearly), as opposed to exponentially, which is the way the virus spreads and why it has kicked our butt as a planet.
logarithmically and linearly aren’t the same thing

Link?

And to clarify, I'm asking for a link to any epidemiologist or health organization making their own report based on first hand observations and not simply parroting Chinese propaganda. 
Does the WHO count?  Or will you not recognize their expertise?
The original line of questioning is lost several pages back. What are you guys talking about? Topically, I mean?

The original line of questioning is lost several pages back. What are you guys talking about? Topically, I mean?
I don't trust numbers and information coming out of China. Specifically I don't believe China has the coronavirus under control.

ETA: How do you quotes with nested quotes?

It sounds like a French study really had great results for the hydroxychloroquine and z pack combo. 
Was a thing last week, got some juice after Trump talked about it earlier this week. That study had some methodological problems and was actually inconclusive. Search this thread for the lead doctor’s name, Didier Raoult, to read lots about that study.

ETA: How do you quotes with nested quotes?
(Drag cursor over both the quote and “body text” you want to nest together. A little black rectangle titled “Quote selection” should pop up. Click on that rectangle and it will nest quotes for you.

Really helpful in a thread like this where I might be quoting something from a few pages back.)

If you are going to read anything on COVID moving forward, please read this.

We are in big, big trouble.
That’s a freaking awesome post.  As was his update from this week.  So many of the things I can’t express because I’m a crappy writer were said.  And he also enlightened me in a number of ways.

Thank you very much for sharing.  His points about exponential growth were so true. No one gets it.  As an example, I’ve been warning about the exponential growth to friends for a month. Only one friend really gets it and he’s freaked. The rest can’t seem to process it.

That’s also why the whole “but the flu kills x number a year” argument is so infuriating. Yeah we know this hasn’t killed as many as the flu, But when it passes the flu, it’s gonna quickly be killing as many people as the flu killed in a year, in a single day.  That’s not doomsday, that’s math and it’s coming with 100% certainty

Unless we quarantine. 

Users who are viewing this thread