Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Apple Jack said:

I mean this to be constructive, not condescendingly. You need to pay attention to what is happening. Most are not concerned with getting it themselves. We are concerned with being carriers and getting compromised people exposed. I would very, very likely survive it and likely have very mild symptoms, if any. I'm not worried about me.

This. Please all the ‘it’s not that bad’ guys read this. Several times. 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Some serious paranoia in here.  Ya’ll do realize that touching something someone else has touched does not mean you end up on a respirator in a hospital bed three days later, right?  I mean, this isn’t “the floor is lava” game from when you were 6. If you touch it, you die.
wear a glove on the off hand if you’re that worried about it.  Not that tough. 

Whoa everyone, look out.... we got a bad ### up in here! :eek:

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

Hopefully the feds help. Wasn't it something like $600 extra a week for up to 4 months?

Yup. Direct deposit folks will get money faster. They just said people who don't have dd it could take up to 4 mo to get your check! 

Through the pitch-black night, the captain sees a light dead ahead on a collision course with his ship. He sends a signal: "Change your course ten degrees east." The light signals back: "Change yours, ten degres west." Angry, the captain sends: "I'm a Navy captain! Change your course, sir!" "I'm a seaman, second class," comes the reply. "Change your course, sir." Now the captain is furious. "I'm a battleship! I'm not changing course!" There's one last reply. "I'm a lighthouse. Your call."

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, matttyl said:

First positive case in my county, I’m sure there will be more.  Hospital respiratory therapist there lives across the street.  Her daughter has been coming over to watch our 4 year old while wife and I telecommute.   At what point do you stop that?

Only 1? We just surpassed 50 in my county (FL).

15 minutes ago, CB1037 said:

I’m trying to follow along but the stimulus deal went through and just pending Trump signing it in?  Is that correct?  The extra unemployment would be amazing for myself and coworkers as our restaurant went to take out only and left many of us with no work.

It's still in the senate but Pelosi claims it'll get signed quick. Once the house gets it they do have 24 hours to read it. So I'm guessing Friday for the prez to get it is the soonest.

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

I mean this to be constructive, not condescendingly. You need to pay attention to what is happening. Most are not concerned with getting it themselves. We are concerned with being carriers and getting compromised people exposed. I would very, very likely survive it and likely have very mild symptoms, if any. I'm not worried about me.

I think I read that close to half the people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the US are under 40. We really need to stop the mindset that if you are under 60 you’ll just get a little cold. That may be true for a lot of people, but for a not insignificant percentage of younger people it will cause serious lung scarring and potential death.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Only 1? We just surpassed 50 in my county (FL).

We’re very low population.  In fact, the positive case doesn’t even live in county, was just diagnosed as positive in the hospital here.

Edited by matttyl

Just now, GroveDiesel said:

I think I read that close to half the people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the US are under 40. We really need to stop the mindset that if you are under 60 you’ll just get a little cold. That may be true for a lot of people, but for a not insignificant percentage of younger people it will cause serious lung scarring and potential death.

I'm definitely seeing more stories of younger people experiencing severe symptoms and fatalities. Do you have a link for this? That would be useful.

filed for unemployment today.  first time for everything i guess.  my job will be there when all this crap ends.  still not cool..

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

I mean this to be constructive, not condescending. You need to pay attention to what is happening. Most are not concerned with getting it themselves. We are concerned with being carriers and getting compromised people exposed. I would very, very likely survive it and likely have very mild symptoms, if any. I'm not worried about me.

I would’ve been condescending about it. What he said is stupid. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

That’s not accurate there were 81 during the day today by 6pm

I use this link

Note the Yesterday and Now tabs

12 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

I mean this to be constructive, not condescending. You need to pay attention to what is happening. Most are not concerned with getting it themselves. We are concerned with being carriers and getting compromised people exposed. I would very, very likely survive it and likely have very mild symptoms, if any. I'm not worried about me.

That's life in the punch bowl.

13 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

You would say that applies to every city in the USA?

Yes. Every city that has people. 

If elderly people(and immuno compromised) died at the same rate as everybody else there is no way we would have all of these shelter in place situations and every school in the country closed.

So if I am going to hole up in my house for days on end, they can do the same. 

3 minutes ago, JAA said:

I use this link

Note the Yesterday and Now tabs

so the counters reset at 00:01 GMT, so from 00:01 GMT yesterday until today there were 14. But since 00:01 GMT tonight (8pm EDT) there have been 81

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

filed for unemployment today.  first time for everything i guess.  my job will be there when all this crap ends.  still not cool..

Felt the same as I’ve always worked but we’ve been paying into unemployment for years and it’s a justified time to be filing for it.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kutta said:

Looks like that’s what’s happening:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/25/politics/senate-stimulus-unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

In a historic expansion of unemployment insurance, the federal government would give jobless workers an extra $600 a week on top of their state benefits for four months as part of the $2 trillion stimulus deal lawmakers agreed to early Wednesday.

So if $600 is more than the 20% of pay that unemployment doesn't pay (at least in my state) then the employee makes more money getting laid off while the employer saves money by laying the employee off. Hmmm.... sounds like an unwise way to handle this...

52 minutes ago, Otis said:

Watching the TV and staying up on the news somewhat, and I find it impossible to decide for myself whether I think this will be resolved in a month and back to business as usual, or it’ll go into the Fall. Or something else. Just no idea. 

US Leadership is doing an awesome job playing the role of the indecisive high school sweetheart. 

11 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Yes, more and more stories seem to be surfacing that detail people in their 30s and 40s crashing and burning. It seems less and less like a #oldmanflubro every day. Maybe there's undiagnosed underlying conditions but the "old people die" narrative should really slow down. I'm still afraid it's going to take some stark numbers from a younger demographic to make that a big harder for everyone to repeat.

Edited by Flying Elvis
unintentional but hysterical omission of "off"

For those filing... first off, sorry 😞 

Second, was it done online or in person? If in person how were lines/etc? 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Flying Elvis said:

So if $600 is more than the 20% of pay that unemployment doesn't pay (at least in my state) then the employee makes more money getting laid while the employer saves money by laying the employee off. Hmmm.... sounds like an unwise way to handle this...

My understanding is that you would only get up to what you make, or the benefit, whichever is lower.

But I’m not 100 percent on that - heard it from a lobbyist who looked at the bill.

Edited by kutta
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Would love to see this link because I am pretty sure it is not even close to accurate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

Don't know where you live but AZ unemployment benefits are tiny.

Amount and Duration of Unemployment Benefits in Arizona

The most you can receive per week is currently $240; the least you can receive is $122. You may receive benefits for a maximum of 26 weeks. (In times of very high unemployment, federal and state programs may make additional weeks of benefits available.)

Wtf?!

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Everyone I know has done it online. SS offices are closed. Not sure about EDD places.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I did it over the phone a week before the #### actually hit the fan. Online is also available. 
IMPOSSIBLE to get through over the phone for over a week here.

There are no in person facilities available in Pa to my knowledge 

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Wtf?!

Legislative priorities. AZ once again setting the example.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Would love to see this link because I am pretty sure it is not even close to accurate.

Ages 18 to 49 make up 50 % of CA state + cases. Per Newsom 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Wtf?!

How much do you think you get from unemployment?  It's my understanding its fairly low all over

Just now, CurlyNight said:

Ages 18 to 49 make up 50 % of CA state + cases. Per Newsom 

Grovediesel said hospitalized. And the entire US.  And under 40.

• Like 1

Just now, need2know said:

How much do you think you get from unemployment?  It's my understanding its fairly low all over

Max per week is almost 600 in Pa

Posted (edited)

Max unemployment in Florida is $275/wk according to a friend who had to file the other day.

Edited by Wingnut

I believe MN is 50% of weekly wages with Max payment of $740/week. 

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I did mine online.  Filed last Monday when PA first shut down their restaurants and got my PIN number in the mail to file my claims this past Monday.  Seemed like a quick turnaround but I’ve had friends file later in the week that have been waiting and feel like I beat the rush.

23 minutes ago, kutta said:

My understanding is that you would only get up to what you make, or the benefit, whichever is lower.

But I’m not 100 percent on that - heard it from a lobbyist who looked at the bill.

Yeah, I believe that’s the amendment a senator from Nebraska wants to put in place but said he would vote to pass it either way but wanted a chance to amend that.

Pelosi urging house that this is the best we can get. Vote it through.There will be a phase 4 and we can visit what you don't like then. The Senate is worried unemployment will be giving more money than what someone earns and may cause people to quit if so. 

18 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

"Think of it this way: There are now only two groups of Americans. Group A includes everyone involved in the medical response, whether that’s treating patients, running tests, or manufacturing supplies. Group B includes everyone else, and their job is to buy Group A more time. Group B must now “flatten the curve” by physically isolating themselves from other people to cut off chains of transmission. Given the slow fuse of COVID-19, to forestall the future collapse of the health-care system, these seemingly drastic steps must be taken immediately, before they feel proportionate, and they must continue for several weeks."

I almost never get into political discussions so I have no idea of the source leanings, but this is true from any source, anywhere, while we deal with COVID. As such, it seems like the right time to say again that the strong measures (lockdowns / shelter-in-place / flatten the curve) are intended to prevent our the US healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Lots more people die when that happens and many could survive if we just slow it down enough for hospitals to keep up with the demand for treatment. Extreme social distancing is the way to help right now. This IS happening here.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

9 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Grovediesel said hospitalized. And the entire US.  And under 40.

Yes, I read that post a bit too fast. Saying "half" the cases can't be right. However, there definitely have been far more stories in the US (and elsewhere) about people in their 30s and 40s losing the fight. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

Pelosi urging house that this is the best we can get. Vote it through.There will be a phase 4 and we can visit what you don't like then. The Senate is worried unemployment will be giving more money than what someone earns and may cause people to quit if so. 

So be it. It's temporary. Surely there are bigger concerns than somebody making $7 and change getting a little more than that for a few months. Jfc people. (not you)

Edited by Apple Jack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

So be it. It's temporary. Surely there are bigger concerns than somebody making $7 and change getting a little more than that for a few months. Jfc people. (not you)

I’m not a well off FBG.  The extra $600 is going to have me making the same if not more than I made when work is running.  I think it’s excessive but am looking forward to being able to save a lot of this aside while staying inside and seeing what happens with all of this.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Especially for those that live in high cost of living areas. They should pass it with the extra 600 a week. There's no doubt there's going to be a 4th package deal. You can always fix it later. This tight wad #### at a time of not only economic crisis but health as well pisses me off. 

Edited by CurlyNight

They're voting on that unemployment is too generous ammendment now. Saying probably won't pass. Then vote on package. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Whoa everyone, look out.... we got a bad ### up in here! :eek:

I just want to know what river actually is the Rubicon.  @Caesar

Well?  Well?!?

Edited by Sand

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

If you are over 65 the only valid reasons to go out right now and be near other people are if you have a medical need or a medical need. 

Maybe also if you have a medical need. 

I am sure there are some seniors that literally have no family, no internet, no phone, live outside an assisted living facility, and no other means to get food, so fine all 5 of those people in the country can go to the grocery store. 

Both my paternal grandfather (90) and my maternal grandmother (87) live on their own in towns that no relative lives close to. They have to go shopping weekly, the benefit is that they live in a different extremely small towns in the boondocks.

edit, I feel for them, they have no other option at this point in their lives. I hope they have stockpiled food, but I am afraid to bring it up.

Edited by MTskibum
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, CB1037 said:

I’m not a well off FBG.  The extra $600 is going to have me making the same if not more than I made when work is running.  I think it’s excessive but am looking forward to being able to save a lot of this aside while staying inside and seeing what happens with all of this.

The extra 600  isnt going to make it through imo

Mods...if this isn’t the place, then please remove, but my wife and I produced a parody music video to encourage people to stay inside... Just trying to spread some positivity..

https://www.facebook.com/chris.taylor.75685962/videos/10216621895205897/?__tn__=%2CdlCH-R-R&eid=ARAnMpDT-1XmRycZo9el1-E1R_WrjwnGByDZg3o3we7K6lKrwPSZYowj9PeKYuPCetdvVrnd5zWxh0fe&hc_ref=ARQdaOTHluyR6M03Kj7PlzzOiTLeoj94LIY1E1wQjdBcUVcPJQ3hBoPlH2bA3igU4ls

OR

https://youtu.be/3USob_ol5Mg

• Like 5
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, CurlyNight said:

They're voting on that unemployment is too generous ammendment now. Saying probably won't pass. Then vote on package. 

Im going to have some people asking me to lay them off. Meanwhile our 1099 contractors get jack and aren’t allowed to work.