What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (19 Viewers)

Another "would you?" question -

considering inviting bro-in-law & family over for Easter.  Two parents, 3 kids, youngest is an infant and the other 2 are same ages as my kids.  They have been quarantining as much as we have.  SIL is a former nurse and has been taking this very seriously.  They would be traveling 4 hours.

Thoughts?
Seems safe-ish to me ... that will be after however long you're both been quarantining already plus two more weeks.

It's not totally without risk, however. I will say it will be difficult -- and a little mean -- to make small kids (<8 y.o.) remain apart from each other. If the non-infant kids are more like 8 y.o. and older ... maybe they can chill in a big room playing video games, sitting far apart. And everyone needs to be washing/sanitizing hands a good four times an hour or better.

I dunno ... it can be made fairly safe, but everyone involved has to be scrupulous about it. That's a hard ask for a lot of kids, depending on age and maturity levels.

On the worldometer site, other countries show their cases broken down by Mild or Critical.

Is there a place to chart the critical cases in other countries to follow that trend?

I don't see the same data on the USA page. Anyone know where that can be found?

can someone please help me. I don’t work with google docs very often (I am afraid I am past the age/technology barrier). 

This google doc is not updating for me. It still shows data from Wednesday. I tried removing and reloading, but that didn’t help. 
It's not you --that data is missing from the doc right now. Either @shader never added it, or else it was inadvertently deleted,

On the worldometer site, other countries show their cases broken down by Mild or Critical.

Is there a place to chart the critical cases in other countries to follow that trend?

The main page shows the number of "serious" cases for each country including the USA.

More and more people are going to start ignoring quarantines. Which will just make things worse. Which will cause more and more people to ignore the quarantines. Which will just make things worse.

By July, the vast majority of the country will basically say "Screw it. If I die, I die."
My personal prediction is that in 10-14 days the healthcare system in this country will be in such shambles that a national quarantine will happen. This will be a very late and reactive measure by the govt. 

I think that in 14 days, many urban heathcare systems might be in shambles.....but sparsely-populated and/or isolated areas will be just fine. That will create a false impression that the pandemic is not bad enough to justify a national quarantine.

Of course, that will just make things worse for the rural areas 28 days from now.

This data is not reported the same from country to country, and therefore doesn't mean a ton. Both South Korea and Iran, for example neglected to track critical cases accurately (South Korea went weeks without updating, Iran never reported them).

considering inviting bro-in-law & family over for Easter.  Two parents, 3 kids, youngest is an infant and the other 2 are same ages as my kids.  They have been quarantining as much as we have.  SIL is a former nurse and has been taking this very seriously.  They would be traveling 4 hours.

Thoughts?
Easter in June.

This data is not reported the same from country to country, and therefore doesn't mean a ton. Both South Korea and Iran, for example neglected to track critical cases accurately (South Korea went weeks without updating, Iran never reported them).
I was looking more for Europe to see a trend and then hope that the US follows.

What are your thoughts on trips to Home Depot? There's so much I can be doing around the house but that would require several trips to HD. So frustrating. 
I’ll go back to my usual MO: all depends on context and nuance of your particular situation.

Most important of all in my estimation is that none of us spread the virus / harm others. If there is little to no chance you have been exposed, and you take precautions while in public, that should apply.  Go out, don’t be sneezing, touching your face then touching things, maintain 6 feet as much as possible. Take the responsibility that if ANY hint of infection or even exposure occurred, do what is right and do a true 100% self quarantine. 

Other than that, let’s mitigate your risk and chance to get infected (which then extrapolates to not infecting others)... if possible, order it to be delivered. Or order ahead and pick up.  If you need to walk the aisles, I’d suggest go when it’s not too busy and just be super cautious and smart.

Ive had to run out for office supplies, and also for some items to make life bearable and work productive - I try my best to follow what is stated above. 

I also tried to “get ahead of the curve” recognizing that a week ago was sort of an invisible line in the sand of when there was any legit chance for me to be exposed. Learning from Seattle and NY, and as talk was beginning that restaurants etc may be shut down, that’s when I said it’s “now or never” - I didn’t hoard anything but loaded up for 6 weeks of key food stuffs and supplies including basics like paper goods and necessities like medicines and items to help me through if I did end up contracting and wouldn’t be able to leave the house at all. The week following I made a couple last trips for a few items. .. in and out of target as described above, still knowing it was before this “invisible line” where statistics would warrant even more extreme measures and caution.  Over the past week I’ve been prepped well enough to hardly need to leave other than pick up my gal who is self isolated at her place and for a rare in and out errand (maybe one or two at that).  

FWIW, whenever I could over the past two weeks I’ve ordered for delivery of goods.  It’s only when amazon went to the month delivery time (since reduced it seems) that I was “forced” to take some calculated risk of venturing out.

At this point I barely need to leave the apartment, and barely do. 

I don’t see it

Trump will do everything he can to “open things back up” as soon as he can imo

Even if it’s counties in states that havent been hit hard yet
As the eye of a hurricane passes over, there's Trump outside screaming "Come on everyone! We've got to get the economy restarted. Get out and do business now! Do it now!!!!"

Meanwhile, all the meteorologists are saying the calm of the eye is only temporary and the what is about to come will be worse that what you experienced before the eye.

What is really unbelievable is the amount of people that will support him and tell him he's doing the right thing.  :wall:

IMO we will know when we can let off a little bit when (1) testing is ubiquitous (2) the number of new infections per day is clearly decreasing and (3) our hospitals can handle it.
(4) there are enough masks being produced that requiring people to wear masks in public is reasonable.

Asked my wife to get some active dry yeast at the store yesterday.

“Sold out, been sold out for weeks, and no idea when they will have more” is what she was told 
A total of three trips to two local grocery stores in the last two weeks and no flour.  Found some Gold Medal at Fresh Market.  Wish I had grabbed some yeast last week when I saw it at Safeway.  Somewhere in Arlington County/Alexandria, there is at least one household with 200 lbs of flour.

NEW: CDC guidance on masks expected to change in next 10 days. Americans will be advised to wear masks in everyday life. Current recommendation is for high-risk groups only.

https://twitter.com/drmattmccarthy/status/1243891663162019841?s=21
This may just be a rumor. Nonetheless, I have always believed that the current CDC recommendation was based solely on 1) lack of supply, and 2) fear of causing panic.

But #2 is out the window now, and #1 will be addressed soon enough. Once we have enough masks, they will become mandatory equipment for all public appearances.

I think that in 14 days, many urban heathcare systems might be in shambles.....but sparsely-populated and/or isolated areas will be just fine. That will create a false impression that the pandemic is not bad enough to justify a national quarantine.

Of course, that will just make things worse for the rural areas 28 days from now.
I mean, not every single healthcare system will be in shambles.  If that's the requirement to quarantine, there is no hope.

In 2 weeks we're going to be dealing with 3-6k deaths per day.  That should be enough to cause a strict quarantine. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't about American politics...it's a dig at Spanish politics. The last line made me laugh...

",The Spanish do not seem to be worried about the government’s taking a few days holiday: It’s worse when they’re actually on the job. The government is currently returning 650,000 defective coronavirus tests bought a few days ago. The president appeared on TV to show them off last Saturday, saying: “These are approved tests and that is very important, very important.” They don’t work. They weren’t from an approved Chinese supplier. Spain has been ripped off. A joke going around here in Spain says: “I took the government’s coronavirus test and… it’s a girl!”  :lol:

A total of three trips to two local grocery stores in the last two weeks and no flour.  Found some Gold Medal at Fresh Market.  Wish I had grabbed some yeast last week when I saw it at Safeway.  Somewhere in Arlington County/Alexandria, there is at least one household with 200 lbs of flour.
Celiac here... FWIW the Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour is pretty good if you're in a pinch. There's still a decent amount of GF stuff available.  About time I caught a break 🤣

This is good advice.  Its entirely possible I (or any of us, really)  have it now and am in the asymptomatic phase.  I would hate to be responsible for spreading to bro-in-law and family.
As far as I know, being asymptomatic is not necessarily a "phase". Some people develop symptoms right away, while others remain asymptomatic for the entire duration that the virus is inside them (~20 days).

Thoughts?
No way

We can finally start wrapping our heads around what's happening in Germany.  What they are doing is testing like crazy and catching people far earlier than anyone else.  Their low death rate is slowly starting to rise, much like it did in South Korea.  The reason it was low early is simple.  People don't die at the beginning of this virus.

South Korea is around 1.4%. Germany will no doubt get there.

The big difference in Germany and South Korea, however, is that the virus is 5 times more widespread in Germany, so they may end up dealing with hospital issues as this goes on if they can't stop the spread.  

Yesterday's mission was to drop the FDA official response link on all the "DON'T TAKE IBUPROFEN" posts I saw. :coffee:  It's the little things. 

ETA: It did some good for at least one friend who is caring for her immuno-compromised mother, and all they had was ibuprofen for pain relief so she was freaking out and trying to research it when she saw my post. 

Yesterday in Palm Beach County we went from 141 cases to 241 cases overnight and I feel strongly that we simply are not testing enough here in Palm Beach and South Florida in general.

100 New Cases last 24 Hours

We are in no way anywhere close to to the high water mark here. 

It might be a little late but we need a tighter lockdown order and we need to re-assess all the exceptions to the one currently in place because just about anyone that isn't a small retail shop is open for business one way or the other right now. I know March and April are like heaven for many down here but we have to be honest about the number being reported right now. 

That's an incredible jump in one day after being on partial lockdown around here for well over a week now, its getting worse here. 

This is interesting too:

"We now know that neither Germany nor France is counting the deaths from coronavirus that occur outside of hospitals, and that the Germans don’t call it “death from coronavirus” if the patient had a previous illness."

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-europe-wasnt-ready-it-may-never-fully-recover/#slide-1
I've read so many articles on this and I just don't know what to say.  It's hard for any of us in our quarantined homes to really know what's going on.  But there is a LOT of smoke that deaths aren't being recorded accurately.  Until we get some clarity, all we can do is go with the numbers, but it does makes you wonder..

Many have said numerous times that we don't know the denominator.  I think there is enough smoke for us to realize that we may not know the numerator either.

Yesterday's mission was to drop the FDA official response link on all the "DON'T TAKE IBUPROFEN" posts I saw. :coffee:  It's the little things. 

ETA: It did some good for at least one friend who is caring for her immuno-compromised mother, and all they had was ibuprofen for pain relief so she was freaking out and trying to research it when she saw my post. 
Tylenol any better? I'm asking as I have both in the house and likely aspirin as well. 

More and more people are going to start ignoring quarantines. Which will just make things worse. Which will cause more and more people to ignore the quarantines. Which will just make things worse.

By July, the vast majority of the country will basically say "Screw it. If I die, I die."
I don’t believe your final sentence at all. Zero chance. 

My personal prediction is that in 10-14 days the healthcare system in this country will be in such shambles that a national quarantine will happen. This will be a very late and reactive measure by the govt. 
This is 100% my expectation as well and has been for quite a while.

The only question is timing... will war zone level images coming out of New York be enough to cause the public to put enough pressure on the federal government... or will hospital overrun disasters have to start happening in enough other regions of the country to force a national quarantine.

This was my thinking, as well.

I don't think I've missed any posts in here... @Atomic Punkmake it home from LAX?
Thanks for looking out for me! My wife and I got home and luckily right before the Canadian government put in there “isolate in place” policy in, which would have meant staying in a Vancouver hotel for 14 days instead of at home. Neither of us have any symptoms and are counting our blessings in that, as well as being at home.

I don’t believe your final sentence at all. Zero chance. 
Hey Cappy, you know there are folks who feel that way now. That's why they had to lock up all these parks and beaches down here...people definitely have that mind set when they say "If I catch it I catch it, just a terrible cold anyways"...

I'm not arguing with you but I can't believe you don't think folks think that way. Maybe not all of them but certainly some of them do. 

Hey Cappy, you know there are folks who feel that way now. That's why they had to lock up all these parks and beaches down here...people definitely have that mind set when they say "If I catch it I catch it, just a terrible cold anyways"...

I'm not arguing with you but I can't believe you don't think folks think that way. Maybe not all of them but certainly some of them do. 
That mindset will change as the body count goes up. Those people were saying those things when there were a handful of deaths per day. 

I feel this.  I'd heard that declaration  and found on CDC that there's no evidence of any harm from ibuprofin.  On my second trip out for supplies, I realized I had no pain/cough and cold medication, so I stocked up.

Users who are viewing this thread