What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (17 Viewers)

Sadly, the party is only getting bigger. People are out walking and end up checking in to see what all the hubbub is all about and then end up staying. Like a moth to a flame. It’s multiple houses on the closest side street. Free Bird currently playing at max volume. 
Many of them are going to regret this decision in due time.  Sad but almost certainly true.

CNN reporting in the Chicago area a baby (less than one year old) has died from the virus. 

So awful. This isn’t just affecting the elderly. 
That is tragic but do have some good news for those with kids as wife and I just zoomed with good friends of ours.  The wife is a pediatric infectious disease doctor in northern NJ (this is her first day off in two weeks).  She confirmed that kids still get it but all reports about being mild are true.  She is aware of a handful of kids that needed ventilators (only 1 at her hospital) and she has spoken to colleagues throughout the Northeast and all such kids have very serious other conditions.  Even those cases are rare as many kids with serious medical conditions such as Cancer that would weaken their immune systems still usually have mild cases.  They don't understand at all why that is the case.  

Yep. But then the USA seems to the the only country in the world that is handling this from a state level, rather than a national one.  So when you have 50 different solutions to a problem, you’re bound to get all sorts of solutions ranging from terrible to great. 
It really does matter what kind of state you're in.

This:lmao:    Mr. krista really likes them, and I thought they'd be a great treat for him while quarantined.

We have been taking deliveries directly into the garage, disposing of the outside box into the recycling bin, wiping down the inside contents, and then hand-washing/sanitizing before touching anything else or coming back in the house.  I'd wondered if that was overkill, but now I'm glad we've done it.  Hopefully that will take care of any issue here.
@Mr. Ham would be proud. And those cookies are like crack.

Why wouldn’t that alert apply to everyone (regardless of age)?  People should be staying home unless there is an essential need to leave.
Its a poor alert because it is too short and is ambiguous. But There should be a different standard. 

People over 65 or immuno compromised should literally not leave unless it is for medical reasons. 

40 year old healthy individual? Ok to go to grocery store. 75 year old man needs to make arrangements to have food delivered. 

That is how much different the risk is. 

Sadly, the party is only getting bigger. People are out walking and end up checking in to see what all the hubbub is all about and then end up staying. Like a moth to a flame. It’s multiple houses on the closest side street. Free Bird currently playing at max volume. 

ETA - sorry, I’ve been binge watching early Sopranos seasons. See @boots11234 post above.

Are you in an Open Carry state?

Do you happen to own a shotgun?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neighbors had party last night. Not young 20 somethings. Adults. I called cops. Felt good. F them. 

The 3blue1brown video I posted about modeling an epidemic looked at a few interesting scenarios. One of them was.. what happens if most people isolate but a small percentage basically go about business as usual. The result was, well, intuitive but depressing. 
Can you post this again

If you’re under some kind of order I’d call the cops. 

Yep. But then the USA seems to the the only country in the world that is handling this from a state level, rather than a national one.  So when you have 50 different solutions to a problem, you’re bound to get all sorts of solutions ranging from terrible to great. 
Right, and it's not like the borders to the states are closed, so what overall good will it do? 

And I heard mention that leadership wants the governors to treat each county differently? :loco:

I missed where the new bill gives an extra 600/week to unemployed. Wow, that means some people might make more while unemployed.  

I cannot understand why we don’t have a super strict quarantine in place!! All the structures are in place for it to happen.  Everyone is getting a check soon, unemployment money will be substantial.  Lock the country down for 4 weeks.  Right now.  It’s the only option.
It depends on the state but the number of people making more unemployed than if they were working is likely more than 'some.' Obviously only temporary, but the incentive to just sit on the couch for a couple months couldn't be more clear. 

If you’re under some kind of order I’d call the cops. 
The owner of one of the houses involved is a cop. This has been an issue many times in the past. The cops won’t intervene. They won’t get involved when it’s one of their own. There was a party last summer and they got hundreds of complaints. They partied and shot off fireworks until one or two in the morning. The cops didn’t care. 

The owner of one of the houses involved is a cop. This has been an issue many times in the past. The cops won’t intervene. They won’t get involved when it’s one of their own. There was a party last summer and they got hundreds of complaints. They partied and shot off fireworks until one or two in the morning. The cops didn’t care. 
Would local news be interested in sending out a camera crew?

Wow, that's the longest "until" date I've seen yet - that's encouraging they set a date that's farther out than mid April or some such.
Oregon is under a stay at home order until further notice. People are still being stupid though. My wife went to Costco the other day to get a prescription for her grandma and said there were several families with both parents and their kids. Maybe just one of them could have gone?

Years ago I read that cities can’t forbid hens, but I think hoas can. Nobody wants roosters. 
You prompted me to take another look at our city ordinances.

Chickens are lumped in with the definition of livestock, and keeping livestock is prohibited unless you are zoned agricultural or it's approved by the Board of Zoning.

So they're saying there's a chance...

Isn’t that being done on FB through shaming?
Sadly, I would guess there would be more people here high fiving the partiers than shaming them. Even with everything going on, a lot of people feel they are young and healthy and it won’t impact them. Lots of folks not supporting or engaging in shelter in place. Publicizing the party on FB could actually get more people to go. 

Can you post this again
https://youtu.be/gxAaO2rsdIs

Lots of interesting scenarios. He notes that identifying and isolating (contact tracing) is the only real way to stop these things in their tracks. Everything else just delays the inevitable. 

What’s missing here are therapeutic interventions which could be a dramatic help. If we were to find effective treatments that slow the spread (make people less contagious) or a vaccine that makes people less susceptible, that would have a profound effect on spread and mortality rate (the latter of which he intentionally avoids). 

I think what we all understand implicitly is that half baked measures are pretty bad. What probably propagates this in our current state of social distancing are the “central hubs.”  Those serve to increase the chances of spread even if people are trying to be careful. We all need to eat so some of these trips and encounters are unavoidable. 

Thanks for posting. How do you find adherence to the lockdown is going there? Your perspective is very valuable and I hope you are doing well and can post here more often because you bring a unique experience which is our future.

As you can likely tell we are having a somewhat difficult time with adherence to a lockdown here and NYC is facing a huge problem, including scorn from other parts of its own country.
Just for some background on my personal timeline:

Thursday, March 12: Macron announces all schools and universities closed
Friday, March 13: French Government bans gatherings of more than 100 people starting Saturday. My work (European-wide) initiated a business continuity test day for all across Europe to stay at home and work.
Saturday, March 14: Government orders all non-essential businesses to close, restaurants, cafés, cinemes, etc. Work initiates stay at home for two weeks as a precaution for all European employees
Sunday, March 15: Was a beautiful day, no one listened to social distancing guidelines and people were out in droves at parks, etc.
Monday, March 16: French President announces government mandated lockdown for two weeks beginning the next day at noon under threat of a fine. Police will be out all over the country to enforce this. Went to the grocery store this day and it was crowded and certain things were out of stock but we were able to get everything we needed. In general here though, people go out to the store more often and buy less each trip. Our refrigerator is only about 4 cubic feet (think college dorm size).
Tuesday, March 17: Ban is in effect, I think 4,000 people were fined on the first day. To date I think they've given out over 100,000 fines nationwide, each is at least 135 Euros.
Friday, March 27: Ban is extended until at least April 15th. Working at home indefinitely.

Right now we are only able to go out for the following reasons: 1) work, 2) doctor, 3) family emergencies, 4) purchase groceries/essential items, 5) exercise that cannot be more than 1km from your home or to walk your dog. Must fill out a form each time you go out with the time and date you leave your home.

From everything I'm seeing here vs. back in the US, it's going to get way, way worse for my fellow Americans. Our deaths in France are just ramping up and hitting their peak now, and even Spain and Italy are still seeing continuously higher death tolls. It's clear that the virus takes a few days to show itself in people and longer to wear them down. I am quite certain that our lockdown is working, it's just that it should have been done maybe two weeks earlier than it was.  And if it was late in being enforced here it is definitely WAY late being enforced in the US. America has has more time to see what is going on though and something should likely be done at a national level to enforce it. Otherwise it will be like playing whack-a-mole with the states that are not enforcing and then those people will travel again and it will keep spreading.

It's quite surreal here though. I go out for runs and it's amazingly empty in quiet on Parisians streets that are usually bustling. No cars, hardly any people, and when you see someone they act as if you're a leper. Just today I was walking back from getting groceries and a lady asked me the time from about 10 feet away. I couldn't hear her and instinctively took a step forward and she almost jumped out of her shoes.

For me, the problem now that the lockdown is so heavily enforced and fear is instilled in all is.......how does it end??? The government and world has been telling everyone to not get close to anyone and do not have any interactions with those outside of your home. You can't just say, "Okay guys, that's it, all better." and expect people to go back to normal without this virus being removed from the planet. And honestly, if the government is waiting for it to go away altogether we will likely be in lockdown for many more weeks. I don't see any other ending and not sure anyone has really thought of an end game to let people out of lockdown.

If anyone has any Euro-related virus questions feel free to shoot. Good luck and best of health to everyone across the pond!

It depends on the state but the number of people making more unemployed than if they were working is likely more than 'some.' Obviously only temporary, but the incentive to just sit on the couch for a couple months couldn't be more clear. 
“Likely” more than “some?”

You do realize that more than “some” of those on unemployment are there through no fault of their own, right? Even POTUS has said many are suffering through no fault if their own.

“Likely” more than “some?”

You do realize that more than “some” of those on unemployment are there through no fault of their own, right? Even POTUS has said many are suffering through no fault if their own.
You're reading something in my post that isn't there. 

https://youtu.be/gxAaO2rsdIs

Lots of interesting scenarios. He notes that identifying and isolating (contact tracing) is the only real way to stop these things in their tracks. Everything else just delays the inevitable. 

What’s missing here are therapeutic interventions which could be a dramatic help. If we were to find effective treatments that slow the spread (make people less contagious) or a vaccine that makes people less susceptible, that would have a profound effect on spread and mortality rate (the latter of which he intentionally avoids). 

I think what we all understand implicitly is that half baked measures are pretty bad. What probably propagates this in our current state of social distancing are the “central hubs.”  Those serve to increase the chances of spread even if people are trying to be careful. We all need to eat so some of these trips and encounters are unavoidable. 
Thanks. What a nightmare. 

First suspected COVID-19 death of one of my pharmacy patients. Family said that she was given 6 months (cancer) but deteriorated quickly with symptoms that make them suspect CV. The last few days I’ve had several calls from hospitals to get med lists, looks like AZ might be getting worse.

From everything I'm seeing here vs. back in the US, it's going to get way, way worse for my fellow Americans. Our deaths in France are just ramping up and hitting their peak now, and even Spain and Italy are still seeing continuously higher death tolls. It's clear that the virus takes a few days to show itself in people and longer to wear them down. I am quite certain that our lockdown is working, it's just that it should have been done maybe two weeks earlier than it was.  And if it was late in being enforced here it is definitely WAY late being enforced in the US. America has has more time to see what is going on though and something should likely be done at a national level to enforce it. Otherwise it will be like playing whack-a-mole with the states that are not enforcing and then those people will travel again and it will keep spreading.
Thank you for posting this. It’s fantastic perspective and I hope the best for France, the US and the rest. Will the US listen? A lot of anecdotal evidence says we’re not listening. But anecdotal evidence isn’t a complete picture. I hope you continue to post and that you and your loved ones stay safe.

Guess my chances. I have to go back to work next week. I will drive to work, walk into the building, avoiding people. Then I can either take the elevator or walk up stairs (5th floor to the 12th). Leaning taking the stair case. Then  going to move my computer to a back area where not alot of foot traffic will be. There will be a total of 5 people including me in our office. I will have a men's bathroom to myself. Help.
Honestly, this sounds like a "good" situation if you can't get WFH approval. Gloves, if you have them, and lots of hand washing/sani and move if you're within spitting distance... literally. How odd it feels to type that. GL... Be smart and safe and consider rocking the full-bandit with something covering your mouth. 

Cuomo on CNN now saying he could sue Rhode Island if they don't stop their policy towards NY.
I don't really understand this. You'd think he'd get it by now. Slowing the spread is the primary objective. Sure, it's literally against the constitution, but this SoE and they're just being asked to do what is best for everyone. Are these NYers actually planning to do anything BUT self quarantine when they know exactly what they are fleeing from?

Just seems like a stupid nit to pick given the situation. :shrug:

@Harris Thanks. As others mention, it's helpful to hear your account of this. The one thing that really sticks out is one that sticks out in many outlets/articles/etc.

"I've seen elsewhere: I am quite certain that our lockdown is working, it's just that it should have been done maybe two weeks earlier than it was."

This is a lesson that clearly needs to be at the forefront of CV news everywhere.

First suspected COVID-19 death of one of my pharmacy patients. Family said that she was given 6 months (cancer) but deteriorated quickly with symptoms that make them suspect CV. The last few days I’ve had several calls from hospitals to get med lists, looks like AZ might be getting worse.
Where in Az are you?

This:lmao:    Mr. krista really likes them, and I thought they'd be a great treat for him while quarantined.

We have been taking deliveries directly into the garage, disposing of the outside box into the recycling bin, wiping down the inside contents, and then hand-washing/sanitizing before touching anything else or coming back in the house.  I'd wondered if that was overkill, but now I'm glad we've done it.  Hopefully that will take care of any issue here.
Tate's are amongst the best of anything you can buy in a bag and don't make fresh. Think they have gluten free ones which are delicious as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread