What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

South Korea and Japan, perhaps?

IF officially-reported numbers are correct ( :shrug:  ) Japan’s case count was somehow stopped cold (virtually) in late February.
Australia also in 6 days of decline. Of course, those are relatively tiny numbers. Peak (hopefully) was 537 positives on Mar. 22nd.

IF officially-reported numbers are correct ( :shrug:  ) Japan’s case count was somehow stopped cold (virtually) in late February.
I thought I saw a tweet about a new record daily total in Japan?  Seems it is surging there?

How close would they be coming to you?

I'm one to be a little bit cavalier with the transmission risk (a very little bit). Like, I don't think people walking around nearby is a special risk so long as no one is hacking and sneezing everywhere, or being gross about lack of handwashing, or things like that.

So, if people are brushing the back of your chair all day on their way to the kitchen ... then, yeah, move. But if people are passing and staying several feet away from you, no problem.

However, really I would just advise to trust your gut. If you feel better moving, then by all means move. Sounds like floorspace availability is not a problem.
See, I can be a bit OCD, but I completely struggle with how this thing is transmitted.  Like I honestly wonder if you just "pass through the air"  of someone that had it (asymptomatic) and simply exhaled...is there a way to get it that way?
I saw this when I was in the drive-thru line at the pharmacist yesterday and had intended to respond.

The “Can you get it ‘passing through the air’ of an infected person?” question is one that medical professionals kind of hold at arm’s length. A doctor was talking about this scenario on NPR yesterday (in the context of hiking trails) and said that “it’s a hard question to answer.”

To me, in my layman’s opinion, such transmission is barely possible in theory, but essentially does not happen in real life. I can understand why a doctor wouldn’t want to say it never, ever happens, but for my own safety concerns and those of my family ... I’m comfortable going with “never.”

I saw that Dezbelief responded to you later, and I co-sign his post.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the downtime right now I’m working on a few projects around the house and needed to pick some supplies from Lowe’s. With the state on lockdown I figured there might be a few people there but not your typical Saturday. Was I wrong! Parking lot was packed. Workers were standing elbow to elbow with customers as they loaded their trucks. I saw no regard for social distancing at all. 

Sat in my truck for a few minutes, debating if I should go in wearing my n95 mask. Decided the project can wait. There is no way the curve is going to flatten if scenes like this continue to play out. 

The shortage is not temporary. My boss fought hard to get PPE for us in the pharmacy. You know how much she got for us? 10 boxes. Not 10 boxes per store, but total for her entire district which about 40 stores. We’re not talking about good masks, just the simple ones. That’s all we can get right now and we’re one of the largest supermarket chains in the US.
Shortage is temporary.  These things arent hard to make.

With all the downtime right now I’m working on a few projects around the house and needed to pick some supplies from Lowe’s. With the state on lockdown I figured there might be a few people there but not your typical Saturday. Was I wrong! Parking lot was packed. Workers were standing elbow to elbow with customers as they loaded their trucks. I saw no regard for social distancing at all. 

Sat in my truck for a few minutes, debating if I should go in wearing my n95 mask. Decided the project can wait. There is no way the curve is going to flatten if scenes like this continue to play out. 
I did the same.  Sat in the parking lot deciding if fertilizing my lawn was necessary to take the risk.  I guess the bright side is that I won't have to mow as much.

Thank you!  When I was stocking up before the epidemic took off in the US, I didn't bother with hand sanitizer for exactly that reason.  In hindsight, I wish I had picked some up just for the occasional trip to the grocery, but I can get by just fine for weeks with the little travel-sized bottle that I had in my toiletries bag from my last trip.  Loading up on this stuff makes about as much rational sense as hoarding TP. 
Exactly!

I do have a pallet 3/4 full of cases of Orange Crush though. But that's just because I like to karaoke R.E.M. :whistle:

Desantis now blaming New Yorkers while he stupidly left the state and beaches open an absolutely insane amount of time
Really? Because about as soon as the pics rolled in of Spring Breakers partying in bunches it seemed like the beaches were closed. They have been closed for almost two weeks now, Easter isn't for another 1-2 weeks so the largest portion of Spring Break the State of Florida has been closed. Businesses relying on tourists and also the Winter rush of folks from the North, some of those spots are never going to re-open after this. 

I wouldn't be so quick to take out your frustrations on DeSantis, he's a native of Tampa/St Pete area and in general has been very effective. 

You must have voted for Andrew Gillum, think we can clearly see which of the two was the better decision after he was recently found with drugs and male gigolos in a Miami hotel room a couple weeks ago not keeping his social distances from what we've been told. 

But I understand why folks are complaining about Gov Ron, I think in general he has been up front about what he is doing, it's just not enough for some folks. 

On the ground or around the neighborhoods I've been exercising and riding my bike thru, folks don't seem to want to adhere to the warnings, how is DeSantis or any leader going to enforce? You want civilians arrested for leaving their homes? 

Louisa Lim

@limlouisa

5h

Seeing recalls of Chinese facemasks from Holland, complaints about Chinese coronavirus test kits from Italy, Turkey, Philippines, Czech Republic. Beijing's medical diplomacy not off to a great start.

Stuart Lau

@stuartlauscmp

· 15h

China sent the Netherlands 1.3 million N95-type face masks. All of them are recalled, Dutch health ministry announced, citing poor quality in design and filter functionality. Doctors and nurses who treat critically ill #Covid19 patients almost used them

Link (in Dutch)
:thumbup:   China continuing to do what China does.  Thanks again guys...bang up job.

Congratulations? 

Turns out there are people who are leaving their houses... who own businesses that are open. Some of these people are in need of sanitizer, so I thought I'd share a good price on a big jug of it. 

You just keep on washing those hands GB. 🙂 

No this is good info. Didn't mean to come across as my typical snarky self

I have wipes that I use when I do leave the house. Was more just wanting to remind people that good old soap and water works just fine if it is available

Really? Because about as soon as the pics rolled in of Spring Breakers partying in bunches it seemed like the beaches were closed. They have been closed for almost two weeks now, Easter isn't for another 1-2 weeks so the largest portion of Spring Break the State of Florida has been closed. Businesses relying on tourists and also the Winter rush of folks from the North, some of those spots are never going to re-open after this. 

I wouldn't be so quick to take out your frustrations on DeSantis, he's a native of Tampa/St Pete area and in general has been very effective. 

You must have voted for Andrew Gillum, think we can clearly see which of the two was the better decision after he was recently found with drugs and male gigolos in a Miami hotel room a couple weeks ago not keeping his social distances from what we've been told. 

But I understand why folks are complaining about Gov Ron, I think in general he has been up front about what he is doing, it's just not enough for some folks. 

On the ground or around the neighborhoods I've been exercising and riding my bike thru, folks don't seem to want to adhere to the warnings, how is DeSantis or any leader going to enforce? You want civilians arrested for leaving their homes? 
Ok. So maybe he can stop blaming New York. 

How often do you rinse?
When I started, I did it daily after my morning shower. Mostly these days, I do it a few times a week if I notice I'm more congested than usual.  This particular time of year, I will resume daily use again, because of all the pollen around. It really helps with that. I would get a sinus infection almost every year during pollen season before I began using the rinse.

Most of my family is in FL. Desantis has been brutal thru this. 😞 
That's just not true and it's a very one-sided politically charged statement that solves nothing I might add. 

Beaches have been closed and will remain closed for the largest chunk of Spring Break...technically Spring starts about March 21st if I'm not mistaken, beaches already closed, all the way past Easter. It sounds good though to beat upon the Republican Gov...the person that ran against him, Andrew Gillum, what has he been doing while all this has unfolded? Seem to have seen his name pop up in the news lately...

He hasn’t been proactive. Let Disney and the beaches stay open way longer than needed severely furthering the spread. State is being overrun and he still hasn’t issued quarantine orders. He’s behind on everything.

Why in hell would I care where he is from? Just because I am from Tampa doesn’t mean I like the guy. I can’t stand most of these idiots here.

And who I voted for makes no difference, he’s the guy in charge now and he needs to start being proactive rather than reactive. 

I thought I saw a tweet about a new record daily total in Japan?  Seems it is surging there?
It's all relative, I guess. "Stopped cold" was an overstatement ... but then look at Japan -- which was once a legit hot spot -- vs. some other countries' totals on February 28th (Worldometers):

Japan    226
  Germany    60
  USA    60
  France    41
  Spain    33

Today?

USA 123,781 (right this second)
  Spain    78,797
  Germany    58,247
  Iran    38,309
  France    37,575
  Japan 1,693

Another success story is Taiwan: 34 cases on 2/28, 298 today.

Ok. So maybe he can stop blaming New York. 
I can understand why you say that. But flights were coming in every half hour from NY and NJ with folks wanting to pile in down here when NY was being pushed towards a Stay at Home. 

How about the people who knew they were high risk of having the CV-19 and then boarding a plane to take it and infect Floridians?

Why should the airlines be free of blame, they should stop flying planes in and out of New York to the general public? 

We likely should be pointing fingers but there is plenty to go around. 

That's just not true and it's a very one-sided politically charged statement that solves nothing I might add. 

Beaches have been closed and will remain closed for the largest chunk of Spring Break...technically Spring starts about March 21st if I'm not mistaken, beaches already closed, all the way past Easter. It sounds good though to beat upon the Republican Gov...the person that ran against him, Andrew Gillum, what has he been doing while all this has unfolded? Seem to have seen his name pop up in the news lately...
You’re the only one constantly adding politics to this. Nobody is saying he is doing a bad job because he’s a republican. He’s doing a bad job because he’s a bad governor. The Ohio governor seems to be doing a super job and he’s an R. Some of us are able to think critically outside the political lines, sorry you aren’t able. 

Enough with the Gillum talk. You are the only one in here showing your political side

Yeah, hand sanitizer is the go to if you have to leave the house, like getting gas or groceries.  Personally, I don't like the "film" it leaves afterwards (yes, I rub until it's dry):oldunsure:
You'd probably like the homebrew sanitizer (7 pts 91% isopropyl, 3 pts aloe vera gel), then -- no film at all.

They have this thing called local government. For example, Clearwater took it upon themselves and Pinellas County backed them mightily in closing those beaches. 

How many local officials, town mayors, beach officials are crying on the News that they can't get their beaches closed and are blaming the State and Fed Gov't?

Palm Beach Mayor elected NOT to enforce a Shelter at Home yesterday...is he to blame for the spread of the Virus or do you think the Gov should supersede him and all other local government from managing their districts and areas of FLorida?

You’re the only one constantly adding politics to this. Nobody is saying he is doing a bad job because he’s a republican. He’s doing a bad job because he’s a bad governor. The Ohio governor seems to be doing a super job and he’s an R. Some of us are able to think critically outside the political lines, sorry you aren’t able. 
That's bologna Cap. I'll let it go but to not see that a fairly Hard Leaning Left Forum doesn't pound down on Republican leaders any chance they get whether they inject the (R) or (D) is kind of silly. 

The folks who seem to be leading the charge also seem to be from one side of the aisle which adds a little bit of validity to what I'm saying. I haven't posted all that much in this thread and nothing I posted in the last couple days was anything political so I don't know where this is coming from.

Cheers

That's bologna Cap. I'll let it go but to not see that a fairly Hard Leaning Left Forum doesn't pound down on Republican leaders any chance they get whether they inject the (R) or (D) is kind of silly. 

The folks who seem to be leading the charge also seem to be from one side of the aisle which adds a little bit of validity to what I'm saying. I haven't posted all that much in this thread and nothing I posted in the last couple days was anything political so I don't know where this is coming from.

Cheers
There's a whole different forum for this stuff MOP.  This is a politics free zone.

Cheers
Take it to the PSF pls.

Enough with the Gillum talk. You are the only one in here showing your political side
How about the moral compass of the people who flew in from the hot spot areas into Florida? 

How about the moral compass of the people who flew into Florida that actually make up the SPRING BREAK crowd and then took it home to the rest of the country to spread?

You gotta have someone to blame as many others want to point the finger, as a Native Floridan I find it short sighted to just blame the Governor. 

Cheers
Like I said, you’re the only one talking about what side of the aisle he is on. 

It's all relative, I guess. "Stopped cold" was an overstatement ... but then look at Japan -- which was once a legit hot spot -- vs. some other countries' totals on February 28th (Worldometers):

Japan    226
  Germany    60
  USA    60
  France    41
  Spain    33

Today?

USA 123,781 (right this second)
  Spain    78,797
  Germany    58,247
  Iran    38,309
  France    37,575
  Japan 1,693

Another success story is Taiwan: 34 cases on 2/28, 298 today.
So would this be a true statement?  No country with a spread curve similar to ours has seen a peak in cases yet.    

If so, the time required to resolve our current situation can't be reasonably estimated.

DeSantis has received criticism for letting local officials make decisions about closing beaches. Most beaches have been closed for days or weeks, but just yesterday, the St. Augustine area beaches were finally closed after public outcry about large crowds. In this photo of the beach crowd, you can see the line between counties: https://mobile.twitter.com/travisakers/status/1243990179557359616

Like I said, you’re the only one talking about what side of the aisle he is on. 
Again you pick and choose what you want to read. I clearly expressed that I felt he reacted about as quick as he could. 

I think local government is responsible to enforce their beaches and most have. 

We just have a difference of opinion. I keep reading Gov of Florida BAD and I don't think that's true. I responded to yours because we usually can exchange and keep moving.

I can understand why you say that. But flights were coming in every half hour from NY and NJ with folks wanting to pile in down here when NY was being pushed towards a Stay at Home. 

How about the people who knew they were high risk of having the CV-19 and then boarding a plane to take it and infect Floridians?

Why should the airlines be free of blame, they should stop flying planes in and out of New York to the general public? 

We likely should be pointing fingers but there is plenty to go around. 
Right. If only there was someone responsible for what happens in Florida boarders, given all the realities you note.

So would this be a true statement?  No country with a spread curve similar to ours has seen a peak in cases yet.
I would agree with that, even looking at active case counts (numbers you quoted are cumulative , where recovered cases remain in the count).

If so, the time required to resolve our current situation can't be reasonably estimated.
It's so early yet. Is a reasonable estimate necessary right this second?

Well it depends on how you define peak.  Other than China (and many people don’t believe their numbers) no country with more than 10,000 cases has truly peaked yet.  Italy’s exponential growth has gone down dramatically.  But we are 3 weeks into a quarantine and they still have 6k new cases a day. 

Then where are they? It’s been months since they’ve been available. If they can ramp up production and meet the demand, why haven’t they?
It isnt ramping up that will solve the crisis. "Ramping in" might be a better description. More companies will start to make them if the demand is pretty much every person in the country. The CDC has already put on their website that in times of emergency they can be reserved for members of the medical community. 

Instead they decided to cap demand by lying. 

February 6th was the first article I read telling people masks dont help and people are too stupid to put them on right. Within the next few days every publication was printing that.

Almost 7 weeks wasted. 

It appears that Italy peaked on Mar 21.
"Peaking" meaning "highest individual day for new cases added", then yes.

If "peak" means "active case count begins decline", then not yet for Italy. Only China and South Korea (assuming accurate numbers) have achieved that.

Users who are viewing this thread