What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Trump just put Pence in charge of the response for Covid-19.   The guy who said smoking doesn't cause cancer,  climate change doesn't exist and lobbied against HPV vaccines.  

We're all gonna die.
:lol:  

Yeah I'm not putting any more of my life in these clowns' hands than I have to.

Hard pass.

You guys up in Washington just focus on staying out of researchers' way, mmmmkay? 

Yes, how much meat we storing?
ironically, we have a subscription to a meat supplier. He is due to drop off the next 6 mo order in a few days. I may try and move it up. So i'll have plenty stocked to ride though most anything, assuming the power stays on (I am sure it will, just know its been mentioned upthread), but I have a generator too. 

Me, to someone who covers this kind of thing for a living:  over or under on the actual Coronavirus death rate, per the CDC in 2025, assuming no medical advances, if I set it at .5% (1/200)?

Her:  by 2025 we'll have anti-virals that will have the death rate under .5%.  But absent those, I'll take the over (barely).

That jibes with my opinion that the 2-3% rate getting reported will look irresponsible when this is said and done.  But even 1/4 that (.7%) is 7 people per thousand who become infected.

We may disagree on the severity of this virus, but Blanton's is freaking great.   3 more days of sober February.  I'm gonna go get a bottle for the tournament.
Actually don’t think we disagree much. I just had an issue with a certain poster posting items that were not accurate and blaming unrelated items on the virus. I have been in this thread from beginning it has been a constant theme from that poster. 

Healthcare providers are working intimately with sick people - with commensurate risk for exposure to infectious bodily fluids/secretions. In most everyday interactions, this isn't the case.
OK I'll bite...

Would masks reduce (Not eliminate) someone's risk of being infected if, say, A sick person coughed in their face while They were talking? 

Let's assume we are wearing sweet wraparound Oakleys in this scenario.  

OK I'll bite...

Would masks reduce (Not eliminate) someone's risk of being infected if, say, A sick person coughed in their face while They were talking? 

Let's assume we are wearing sweet wraparound Oakleys in this scenario.  
Glasses (eye protection) and masks are part of all Hospital PPE protocol.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue all along with this virus is that a large % need hospital level care at some point, and there aren't enough beds or doctors or nurses to tend to that volume of patients simultaneously.  That's what needs preparation, and I'm assuming that all hospitals are preparing as should all emergency services.

Those masks are a bit of a pain to come by in general, I have to take an annual "fit test" involving them.. and for years I had to go to a specific Lowe's to get em.

[icon] said:
Not sure why you feel need to mock, but whatever makes you feel GB. :)  

Now, yes I'm making a point to keep a little extra space where convenient. I'm not avoiding people altogether but for those of us not in the sardine can that is Manhattan, this is pretty easy ;)  

The plan to meet up with my buddy if something bad happen was hatched over a campfire talk, like I said. Was prob a couple hour general chat about preparedness.

With things escalating globally and our CDC warning folks to start preparing for What might be significant disruption, I had a 1hr chat with two of the buddies last night while helping him work on his Jeep. Seemed like as suitable topic as any. :shrug:  

Like I said, prob won't be a big issue... but if my city ends up like some of these cities in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran..... it'll be a few hours well spent. If not, we'll we were prob just going to bull#### about sports or whiskey anyway so we didn't miss much. 

I'm sure you'll be totally fine up there, not much chance of it spreading In Manhattan. You're right, I wouldn't worry about this much at all if I were you. 
I knew it was a Jeep Bud!

The issue all along with this virus is that a large % need hospital level care at some point, and there aren't enough beds or doctors or nurses to tend to that volume of patients simultaneously.  That's what needs preparation, and I'm assuming that all hospitals are preparing as should all emergency services.
Yep. Once this is in the wild here, Being being responsible and taking smart precautions to not transmit the virus will go a long way to ease the load on our healthcare system, and will have a direct impact on the complication & fatality rate at the end of it all. 

I have not read any of this thread.   What % of people posting in the last few days are like totally freaked out by this?

China CDC Situation Report on Feb-26 
31 Provinces & XPCC
  Suspected: 2358 (+508)
  Confirmed: 78497 (+433)
  Severe: 8346 (-406
  Dead: 2744 (+29
  Recovered: 32495 (+2750) 
Hong Kong - Confirmed: 91 (Dead: 2, Recovered: 24) 
Macau - Confirmed: 10 (Recovered: 7) 
Taiwan - Confirmed: 32 (Dead: 1, Recovered: 5)
Ooooo ooooo! Now unweld everyone's apartment doors and let folks go back to work, and see what happens! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally I prefer free market economics but I love this move by Italy

"PRICE GOUGING PREVENTION: Italy raids Amazon and Ebay centers and confiscates documents and data of sellers involved in price gouging of masks and disinfectants. (source in german);"

Unconfirmed tweet featuring video of Iranian Nurse (male) in Qom: 

In Iran, #CoronaVirus is wreaking havoc. Listen to this nurse from the Kamkar Hospital of Qom.

He says during his night shift alone, he witnessed 8 people die. Iran's officials are trying to cover up Corona deaths by lying and underreporting them.

The situation is very serious

top dog said:
I need to buy a couple airline tickets for a domestic flight at the end of may.  Tickets are pretty cheap right now.  What are the odds that the tickets drop more as we get closer due to fears of this?  

My wife is not concerned about this stuff yet, but being an irrational germophobe to begin with, I can't help but keep popping into this thread to read the news on this.   :bag:
If you can fly on Tuesdays or Wednesdays (maybe Saturdays), get on the Spirit Airlines email mailing list.  They just had an 85% off sale a couple of days ago.  They will probably have a 95% off or 99% off sale within the next couple of weeks.  They post their sales mid-morning and the sale will only last until midnight of that same day.   You definitely don't need to buy a ticket now because cheap tickets aren't going away anytime soon.  You'll probably be able to buy your tickets a few days before your flight at the same price as now.

On my way to Whole Foods right now. Folding down all rows in my Beast and filling her up with water and the best non-perishables I can find. She’ll also be fully gassed at all times. 

That #### is obviously already here in NYC. Gonna put cash into a safe deposit box, get some protection, and be prepared.

I’m not a doomsday kinda guy, but I will be prepared.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED:
Open Transmission on US Soil

"BNO Newsroom @BNODesk

BREAKING: California reports 1 new case of coronavirus in someone with no recent travel, no known links to previous cases - WaPo"

Yay! (/sarcasm)

I can't see the results.   Say poll was to end today, but it ended 2/25.
I didn't bother to change the subject heading: 

2. What impact do you expect COVID-19 to have on your life here in North America (Or where you live)?

Major Impact   5

Significant Impact  38

Negligible Impact  114

No Impact  32

I read in another thread this morning that people in here were posting about travel insurance.  What was the verdict on this?    

I'm 6 weeks out from four days in Rome, 8 day cruise to barcelona, then four days in Spain.

Wife went to doctor yesterday for annual check up.  Doctor said we should be fine.   For wife not to panic over something like this is pretty remarkable.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED:
Open Transmission on US Soil

"BNO Newsroom @BNODesk

BREAKING: California reports 1 new case of coronavirus in someone with no recent travel, no known links to previous cases - WaPo"

Yay! (/sarcasm)
US Identifies First Coronavirus Without Outbreak Ties

U.S. health authorities said they’ve identified the first case of coronavirus that doesn’t have known ties to an existing outbreak, a worrying signal that the virus is circulating in the U.S. despite reassurances from the Trump administration that it’s contained.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the patient doesn’t appear to have traveled to China or been exposed to another known case of the coronavirus. Health authorities are increasingly concerned about what’s known as community spread, where the virus begins circulating freely among people outside of quarantines or known contacts with other patients.

“At this time, the patient’s exposure is unknown,” the CDC said in a statement. “It’s possible this could be an instance of community spread of Covid-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States.” Covid-19 is the technical name for the disease caused by the virus.

The CDC said the case was picked up by doctors in California, and that the patient may have been infected by a traveler who brought in the disease. It didn’t give more information on the patient’s status. The new case brings the total of known infections in the U.S. to 15, not counting repatriated Americans.

The California Department of Public Health said the patient is a resident of Solano County, an area between San Francisco and Sacramento, and that the person was receiving medical care. The patient didn’t have a close contact with a known case or a travel history to China, the state said, a sign that health workers are examining the patient’s history to try and find out how they may have caught the virus and whether other people may be infected without knowing it.

“We have been anticipating the potential for such a case in the U.S., and given our close familial, social and business relationships with China, it is not unexpected that the first case in the U.S. would be in California,” Sonia Angell, the director of the California Department of Public Health, said in a statement. The state said the risk to the general public remains low.

I read in another thread this morning that people in here were posting about travel insurance.  What was the verdict on this?    

I'm 6 weeks out from four days in Rome, 8 day cruise to barcelona, then four days in Spain.

Wife went to doctor yesterday for annual check up.  Doctor said we should be fine.   For wife not to panic over something like this is pretty remarkable.
Every provider I spoke with (3) said it wasn't covered. Speak with your provider directly to confirm but expect a no, not covered. 

Do you already have travel insurance?  If not, then I wouldn’t say get it now.  If you do, do you have “cancel for any reason”?  Unless you do, you’re unlikely to be able to use it for this unless you actually become sick from this and unable to travel.

I have a European trip in seven weeks I don’t plan to cancel unless I have to (I.e., Delta isn’t flying).  I have a Caribbean cruise in a week that I’m also not canceling.  This is just based on my risk tolerance, though.  I could see others reasonably making different decisions.

It usually costs next to nothing, I would get it. 

Every provider I spoke with (3) said it wasn't covered. Speak with your provider directly to confirm but expect a no, not covered. 
I'm assuming this.   I got the insurance for the first time ever due to the cost of the trip and I had some health issues a year ago.  Got it Jan 8.

Do you already have travel insurance?  If not, then I wouldn’t say get it now.  If you do, do you have “cancel for any reason”?  Unless you do, you’re unlikely to be able to use it for this unless you actually become sick from this and unable to travel.

I have a European trip in seven weeks I don’t plan to cancel unless I have to (I.e., Delta isn’t flying).  I have a Caribbean cruise in a week that I’m also not canceling.  This is just based on my risk tolerance, though.  I could see others reasonably making different decisions.

It usually costs next to nothing, I would get it. 

I'm assuming this.   I got the insurance for the first time ever due to the cost of the trip and I had some health issues a year ago.  Got it Jan 8.
Cost was $648.

I have an ample supply of wine and spirits but just placed an order at Total Wine for four more cases of wine and four big bottles of JD should this go to tax day or something. 

Doug B said:
Incubation period, unfortunately, seems to vary wildly. You can find accounts of ~3 days, you can find accounts of nearly a month.

@Terminalxylem or other MedicalGuys -- is that also generally true of influenza? Viral infections in general?
Most infections have a range for incubation period. The range for COVID-19 is big because we’re still learning about it.

Users who are viewing this thread