Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, shader said:

Really seems like we are doubling every 5 days or so.  If that holds, we will be at 200k in a month and it will go exponential from there.

Right in time for spring to kick in, temperatures to rise, and hopefully start to battle the spread of this.

It's about time global warming came in handy for something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Good thing you have the camping stove!

Nah, cold Chef Boyardee straight from the can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, bradyfan said:

Worldometer

  1. China: 77,345 (+409) confirmed, 2,592 (+150) deaths
  2. South Korea: 833 (+231) confirmed, 8 (+2) deaths
  3. Diamond Princess: 691 confirmed, 3 deaths
  4. Italy: 226 (+69) confirmed, 5 (+2) deaths
  5. Japan: 146 confirmed, 1 death
  6. Singapore: 90 (+1) confirmed
  7. Hong Kong: 79 (+5) confirmed, 2 deaths
  8. Iran: 61 (+18) confirmed, 12 (+4) deaths
  9. Thailand: 35 confirmed
  10. U.S.: 35 confirmed

WorldometerIran has surpassed Singapore and Hong Kong.

  1. China: 78,064 confirmed, 2,715 deaths 
  2. South Korea: 1,146 confirmed, 12 deaths
  3. Diamond Princess: 691 confirmed, 4 deaths
  4. Italy: 323 confirmed, 11 deaths
  5. Japan: 161 confirmed, 1 death
  6. Iran: 95 confirmed, 16 deaths
  7. Singapore: 91 confirmed
  8. Hong Kong: 85 confirmed, 2 deaths
  9. USA: 57 confirmed
  10. Thailand: 37 confirmed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, adonis said:

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 

@Donald Trump bro, now would be a good time to invade Chyna and take back our bonds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, adonis said:

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 

Apparently you can get reinfected with this virus. But if willing to wear a space suit, you could have a cruise ship of your own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Ham said:

Apparently you can get reinfected with this virus. But if willing to wear a space suit, you could have a cruise ship of your own. 

That hasn't been confirmed.  There is a thought that someone got a false positive, got better, then got a real positive.  The test accuracy needs to be solid to make this call and it wasn't and isn't.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

WorldometerIran has surpassed Singapore and Hong Kong.

  1. China: 78,064 confirmed, 2,715 deaths 
  2. South Korea: 1,146 confirmed, 12 deaths
  3. Diamond Princess: 691 confirmed, 4 deaths
  4. Italy: 323 confirmed, 11 deaths
  5. Japan: 161 confirmed, 1 death
  6. Iran: 95 confirmed, 16 deaths
  7. Singapore: 91 confirmed
  8. Hong Kong: 85 confirmed, 2 deaths
  9. USA: 57 confirmed
  10. Thailand: 37 confirmed

I think Iran’s numbers are a joke. They likely have the 2nd most cases after China. 

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, culdeus said:

That hasn't been confirmed.  There is a thought that someone got a false positive, got better, then got a real positive.  The test accuracy needs to be solid to make this call and it wasn't and isn't.  

 

At the least, there is no permanent immunity in the same way there isn’t for seasonal flu. This will similarly mutate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CDC Updates: 

From CDC press call: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.”

More: "The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232347657332576256?s=21)

Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232351586925645824?s=21)

From BNO - U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232360016079917058?s=21)

U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232361367732183041?s=21)

[Audio of the briefing](https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3)

----

The window to get supplies without feeling like a contestant on American Gladiator is rapidly closing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they gauging for surgical masks on amazon because of this or do they just cost a lot more than you’d think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, [icon] said:

CDC Updates: 

From CDC press call: "Disruption to everyday life might be severe," says Dr. Nancy Messonnier. She said she told her children this morning, "While I didn't think they were at risk right now, we as a family ought to be preparing for significant disruption to our lives.”

More: "The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and certainly raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here."  [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232347657332576256?s=21)

Outlook for coronavirus in the U.S.: CDC is "preparing as if we are going to see community spread in the near term," says Dr. Messonnier on media call. [Source](https://twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1232351586925645824?s=21)

From BNO - U.S. CDC: "We can have community spread in the United States and have it be reasonably mild, we can have community spread in the U.S. and have it be very severe. So that's what we don't completely know yet." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232360016079917058?s=21)

U.S. CDC: "We're asking folks in every sector, as well as people within their families, to start planning for this, because as we've seen from the recent countries that have had community spread, when it hit in those countries, it has moved quite rapidly." [Source](https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1232361367732183041?s=21)

[Audio of the briefing](https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19-update.mp3)

----

The window to get supplies without feeling like a contestant on American Gladiator is rapidly closing.

 

 

Yeah I think I’m gonna do some shopping this weekend. 
 

we need to come together and create a master fbg Supply list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shader said:

Really seems like we are doubling every 5 days or so.  If that holds, we will be at 200k in a month and it will go exponential from there.

Except that cases in China are decelerating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, BassNBrew said:

Except that cases in China are decelerating.

At this point you’d have to be a fool to believe a word that comes out of that country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shader said:

 

At this point you’d have to be a fool to believe a word that comes out of that country.

And even it is, they've done by keeping everyone inside and non-mobile. How long that possibly last? You gotta figure as soon as people start moving back to their jobs, this explodes again.

Edited by IrishTwinkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, shader said:

 

At this point you’d have to be a fool to believe a word that comes out of that country.

No reason for them to show a trend up then a trend down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

No reason for them to show a trend up then a trend down.

Won’t waste my time on this.  Believe China all you want.  It’s a massive mistake, but go for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U.S.

AMERICA HAS 30 MILLION MASKS, NEEDS 300 MILLION FOR HEALTH CARE WORKERS FIGHTING CORONAVIRUS, HHS SECRETARY SAYS

annnnnnnd Maskmania just shifted into overdrive. FYI Walmart had 5pk of nice 3M N95 pro masks for 14.88 in the  paint dept today. Grabbed a couple more and left 8. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

soldier at Camp Carrol in South Korea is first US service member to test positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), a US Forces Korea statement released within the past hour says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, adonis said:

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 

We took our first cruise ever after 9/11 (over Thanksgiving) because most people weren't 100% comfortable floating around the oceans with 2000 others. Guess the same thing would apply here for much different reasons. 

It was more expensive to stay at home...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, shader said:

Yeah I think I’m gonna do some shopping this weekend. 
 

we need to come together and create a master fbg Supply list.

All I’ve got is water and canned tuna :kicksrock:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adonis said:

One pro-tip here could be to seek out the coronovirus, get infected, and if you survive there's going to be a whole lot of things you'll be able to do a lot cheaper than normal. 

Cruises come to mind, but maybe some performances...disney world/land may be a little less populated.  Maybe it's a frugal choice to get infected and then capitalize on all the discounted, low populated places. 

I was thinking the same thing, except that a hospital wouldn't be overwhelmed yet, so you'll get good treatment instead of a cargo container full of other sick people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought some bulk dry food and TP at Costco today.  My wife the public health professional got mad at me for giving into the fear.  I didn't see anyone else stocking up like me.  I only shelled out $200, but I figure that we could now last a month on the food we have in the house as long as the water, electricity and gas keep working.

We have no masks though...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I just bought some bulk dry food and TP at Costco today.  My wife the public health professional got mad at me for giving into the fear.  I didn't see anyone else stocking up like me.  I only shelled out $200, but I figure that we could now last a month on the food we have in the house as long as the water, electricity and gas keep working.

We have no masks though...

Wait...your wife thinks it’s no big deal?

She should know better than us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after much prodding, I got my wife to do some prepping over the weekend.  not a ton of food stuff, but a good bit of cleaning supplies, kleenex, toilet paper, bleach, soap, etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Wait...your wife thinks it’s no big deal?

She should know better than us. 

She thinks that enforced social distancing here in the US is a ways off, and may never happen.  She thinks I'm giving into fear and groupthink (from fbg...)

I told her that she's not an epidemiologist. That didn't go over well...

  • Laughing 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I just bought some bulk dry food and TP at Costco today.  My wife the public health professional got mad at me for giving into the fear.  I didn't see anyone else stocking up like me.  I only shelled out $200, but I figure that we could now last a month on the food we have in the house as long as the water, electricity and gas keep working.

We have no masks though...

I also bought into the mania today.

 

I picked up a display chest freezer at Home Depot for a hundred dollars and bought 1-2? months worth of food. In the freezer I have 20 pounds of ground beef and 10 loaves of bread, along with a serious amount of canned/nonperishable food.

 

I live in a community that is 50% asian and I did not feel alone at Costco. I got one of the last remaining 50 pound bags of rice and toilet paper. Although I am sure they will restock. The lines were 15 carts deep when I checked out.

 

This is probably not the case in middle america though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, moleculo said:

after much prodding, I got my wife to do some prepping over the weekend.  not a ton of food stuff, but a good bit of cleaning supplies, kleenex, toilet paper, bleach, soap, etc.  

You plan on cleaning the house or something while you're in quarantine?

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

You plan on cleaning the house or something while you're in quarantine?

someone's got to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Wait...your wife thinks it’s no big deal?

She should know better than us. 

You know ... if you’re not on a Coronavirus thread in a message board somewhere, this stuff is pretty much off your radar. It’s happening “somewhere else”, somewhere far away. In China, in Iran, South Korea, Italy. Might as well be Mars.

It’s Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, so I’ve been to several family gatherings over the past few days. No one says jack about the coronavirus. Not even to make light of it.

It hasn’t been in the paper except for wire-service reprints. None of the local opinion writers have touched the topic. Local TV news is similar — stories from overseas, always “somewhere else”.

I would bet locally, at present, the masks and such are still stocked close to usual levels. Maybe that changes in a week or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MTskibum said:

This is probably not the case in middle america though.

Being totally ignored here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Being totally ignored here.

 

There are no masks to be bought were I live, I have checked a few times over the last couple weeks. My parents bought some in denver and will mail them down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still not getting the mask stuff.   In what situation will those get pressed into service?  Mass transit?  Grocery stores? 

If someone in your house get it the whole house has it before you can unbox the things.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been wondering if any types of masks could be re-used? Throw em in a hot dryer for 10 minutes? Bake em in a 200- or 250-degree oven for a bit? Launder then in bleach? Soak them in boiling water, or in mild bleach solution

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck, are bandannas a better option? Those can be laundered for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

Are they gauging for surgical masks on amazon because of this or do they just cost a lot more than you’d think?

Make sure not to buy masks recycled from Wuhan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Heck, are bandannas a better option? Those can be laundered for sure.

I posted this a while back Experts devise DIY face masks (YouTube)

I think you’re supposed to throw out disposable masks as you enter your home.  
How to wear and dispose face masks (YouTube)

WHO and CDC also recommend eye protection because the virus can transmit through eyes.

Edited by bradyfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The timing of the Pandemic series on Netflix was interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Don Hutson said:

Nah, cold Chef Boyardee straight from the can.

My jam! :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also gave in over the weekend, acknowledged that my skepticism is unwarranted, and bought two bottles of scotch and some mezcal.  I feel I"m ready for anything now.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Economically—if you are in any stocks or funds that have exposure to Italy or Italian companies—be very careful.  The two provinces where Coronavirus is most prevalent in Italy account for nearly 33% of it’s GDP.   If you factor that in with the money they will inevitably lose from tourism—there is a very real chance that Italy slips into recession.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

Power has been out last 6 hours, and occurred to me that we don’t have a land line. Utilities go out, within hours we’re literally on our own with no ability to call for help. Good idea to keep a power brick charged in case you need mobile for 911. Unlikely to be an issue, but a way I hadn’t thought about that makes us even more vulnerable if there were a meaningful interruption of basic services

Reading this reminded me of 9/11.  We live on Long Island, and that day I got sick of the coverage and decided to just go for a drive.  It was an otherwise beautiful day here. 
 

I hoped on the LIE (main road that runs from both ends of LI) only to god out it was cut off by the police at a certain point westbound. That’s it, we were cut off from NYC.  And if anyone knows LI, there is only 1 way out of here by car...through NYC. It was a real eye opener and pretty scary.   
 

if this thing gets to Ny, i could see something similar happening.  Nothing in or out of LI, it’s just cut off.  
 

I need to make some friends who have boats.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Economically—if you are in any stocks or funds that have exposure to Italy or Italian companies—be very careful.  The two provinces where Coronavirus is most prevalent in Italy account for nearly 33% of it’s GDP.   If you factor that in with the money they will inevitably lose from tourism—there is a very real chance that Italy slips into recession.  

Italy could be a trigger for the rest of the European Union...hmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Chef Boyardee contago ETF has me taking possession of 12 pallets of  Jumbo Spaghetti & Meatballs and 12 pallets of Overstuffed Beef Ravioli on Friday

Timing couldn't be better

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, beer 30 said:

It's all snake oil...hardly any supplements have any scientific data to support their use. Yet, the multibillion dollar nutraceutical business thrives while people are more and more distrustful of conventional medicine, the kind that has actually been studied.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

I wouldn’t go throwing home brews at this virus until we know more about it, or you do some research that backs the science of what you’re specifically trying to achieve (what biological process(es) you’re trying to influence.) Probably no harm in it, but harkens me back to when cardiologists in the 80s prescribed low fat diets that caused insulin resistance and an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

You may think you’re closing a door, only to find you’re opening a window. 

In a thread full of hyperbole, this may take the cake.

The obesity epidemic is multifactorial, but cardiologists' dietary recommendations aren't a part of it. Ekahi-Ornish is a low fat diet proven to cause regression of heart disease, for example.  And Mediterranean diets aren't particularly high in fat.

Heavily processed foods are never healthy, whether they are low-fat, low-carbohydrate, or somewhere in between.

But I agree that supplements and homeopathic nonsense will likely do nothing to slow COVID-19.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Terminalxylem said:

In a thread full of hyperbole, this may take the cake.

The obesity epidemic is multifactorial, but cardiologists' dietary recommendations aren't a part of it. Ekahi-Ornish is a low fat diet proven to cause regression of heart disease, for example.  And Mediterranean diets aren't particularly high in fat.

Heavily processed foods are never healthy, whether they are low-fat, low-carbohydrate, or somewhere in between.

But I agree that supplements and homeopathic nonsense will likely do nothing to slow COVID-19.

Serious question: What about my Jumbo Spaghetti & Meatballs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.