What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

We had two big things against us as far as reacting properly. 
1. Most in North America don’t know much about how bad SARS was because it didn’t impact us here much. The Asian countries had a trial run and were willing and able to react more quickly. 
Really good point...our first rodeo, not theirs.

Don't knock the local dollar stores. They've been the only places I've been able to find paper towels over the last two weeks. Also have (some) TP and a good amount of refrigerated groceries, at least around here. It seems like the big club stores get ravaged first, then WalMart/Target, then the major chain groceries, then the "budget" grocery stores (Save-A-Lot, Budget Saver, etc.) ... and then finally, the dollar stores.

The Dollar General a few blocks from my home got their shipment of paper Friday morning ... and still had about 1/4 of it left Saturday afternoon (a little better on paper towels, a little worse on TP).
This and independent grocers. I have a store a block away which has never been hit hard on paper products. Or anything else. Pay a few more pennies but I'm grateful I have never had to buy in bulk (NYC apartments would be the worst for those of you with prepper tendencies.)

Meanwhile Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - at the height of panic buying - would have 20-30 feet of empty shelves.

This and independent grocers. I have a store a block away which has never been hit hard on paper products. Or anything else. Pay a few more pennies but I'm grateful I have never had to buy in bulk (NYC apartments would be the worst for those of you with prepper tendencies.)

Meanwhile Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - at the height of panic buying - would have 20-30 feet of empty shelves.
At the very height there wasn't any TP anywhere in King County.  Still no sanitizer. Office Max is sleeper store for those too. 

Governor DeWine held a special 2 PM press conference today due to this issue.

He did not hide his frustration with the FDA, and said that he had called both Trump and the FDA this morning to discuss getting the 10k restriction lifted.

The FDA told DeWine it would be resolved today.

A reporter asked if Ohio would ignore the FDA restriction if it didn't get approval to sterilize the full amount of masks per day... DeWine said he wouldn't get into hypotheticals, but that the need is urgent and this issue must be resolved today... I took that as a Yes.

Switching gears a little. I have a bucket list 2 week family trip to Europe we had booked back before all this started. Late June thru mid July. London, Paris, and Rome. I’ve been thinking I’m going to need to cancel, but the past few days I’ve been thinking that it will be as safe as I could hope for and less crowded as well and to keep planning and securing lodging, etc..

thoughts? 

Exactly my experience at 3 nearby kosher grocers. A couple of days ago, I bought 4 rolls of TP, some great challah and pita bread, and several fresh fruits and veggies. 

Switching gears a little. I have a bucket list 2 week family trip to Europe we had booked back before all this started. Late June thru mid July. London, Paris, and Rome. I’ve been thinking I’m going to need to cancel, but the past few days I’ve been thinking that it will be as safe as I could hope for and less crowded as well and to keep planning and securing lodging, etc..

thoughts? 
Pushing it. Any family members at risk?

ETA In June, Italy would have already cycled through and might prohibit Americans who would be several weeks behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

thoughts? 
Ultimately, in the near term - travel decisions are going to be made for you.  Certainly 3 months seems like a long enough time to pass for us all to crest.  But the levers of humanity’s re-interaction back with the world will be a gradual process.  You’ll likely need all the 3 governments cooperation related to travel restrictions, etc...

thoughts? 
I wouldn’t do anything yet. I just canceled our trip at the end of May but that is more a forgone conclusion. End of June, I’d wait until May before making a decision.

From presser: There are 1,100 patients in NY on a treatment of hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack to observe potential impact. Also mentioned the blood plasma results and interest moving forward with trying that.
Would be informative to reveal the source of that info (e.g., who was speaking.)

Would be informative to reveal the source of that info (e.g., who was speaking.)
It was from the opening remarks from the President. I'm hoping we get to hear more on that during Q&A with others.

ETA: Sorry, I wanted to avoid the potential for politics to creep into the discussion.

I’m close to that.  I get great coverage, but it’s definitely not cheap.
The rates were much better when I was working.  I got the double whammy when I retired ...you get to stay on the company plan, but they stop paying half. 

- So it immediately doubled

- Then they separated the retirees into a "separate pay group" so that rate increased

- Then rates have steadily increased at sizable amounts every year.  

- fun.

Went to Costco today in suburban Minneapolis. It wasn’t nearly as busy as a normal Sunday afternoon. Shoppers were very good at observing social distancing and waiting to go into the dairy and vegetable cooler sections until other people had cleared out. Also, tons of toilet paper available. 

There’s a running joke here in Minnesota that we are all socially awkward introverts who are used to social distancing six months out of the year so this isn’t really that hard for us. I’m not seeing a lot of the horror stories that some of you are reporting and it may be a factor of weather or cultural. We have a very Scandinavian/German collectivistic culture here where you are expected to do what’s best for the rest of your community.  Also a higher trust in local government and we tend to be rule followers as well.

this combined with the fact that nobody has been vacationing here in the last two months and I have a feeling that our case peak will be much lower than most states and metros our size.

thoughts? 
I doubt it will be an option but I hope I am wrong cause that would be great news if vacations to europe are a thing in a few months.

I was hoping to take a "last trip" with mom (83) and my family to Portugal this summer to see some aunts (her sister) and uncles from my dads side.

At this point, I hope they all survive....

I have a bunch of family in Portugal and some in France. The aunts/uncles all over 70.

Hope you make it over there!

Wondering if because due to a lack of national and international travel in the next six months or so that people will have more discretionary income to spend locally? Maybe people prioritize supporting local businesses and attractions and spend less at large resorts or big vacation destinations?

For those on the fence, I had a very good first experience with Instacart this afternoon. Had a promo for free delivery with one of our grocery stores. Process was easy. Had everything on my front porch in a little over an hour.

Wondering if because due to a lack of national and international travel in the next six months or so that people will have more discretionary income to spend locally? Maybe people prioritize supporting local businesses and attractions and spend less at large resorts or big vacation destinations?
I spent like 13k in groceries the last 3 weeks....I think I get no vacation this year 😞

There’s a running joke here in Minnesota that we are all socially awkward introverts who are used to social distancing six months out of the year so this isn’t really that hard for us
Still my favorite...

Mike Milligan: I like him. I like you. Met another fella from Minnesota yesterday. Big guy. Sheriff, I think. I liked him too. 

Lou Solverson: We're a very friendly people. 

Mike Milligan: No! That's not it. Pretty unfriendly actually. But it's the way you're unfriendly. How you're so polite about it....Like you're doin me a favor.

For those on the fence, I had a very good first experience with Instacart this afternoon. Had a promo for free delivery with one of our grocery stores. Process was easy. Had everything on my front porch in a little over an hour.
One day, I’ll make this leap. Been wanting to try stuff like this and WalMart Pickup service ... but 40 years of running out of the house for groceries is deeply ingrained.

• Smile
Reactions: RnR

thoughts? 
I would

It was from the opening remarks from the President. I'm hoping we get to hear more on that during Q&A with others.

ETA: Sorry, I wanted to avoid the potential for politics to creep into the discussion.
Yeah, I wasn’t being snarky, and I actually appreciate that you took that into consideration. I intensely dislike when this thread wades into it briefly.

That said, if it’s anything medical or epidemiology, most folks will give greater to credence to Dr Birx or Dr Fauci since they specialize in those areas.

• Thanks
Reactions: RnR
:goodposting:   probably gonna try this today just for something to do, thanks for the vid.
Let me know how it turns out, stuff coming in next week for me.

Why is it even political? The people were warned too. My facebook feed was filled with memes claiming "it's hoax/it's like the flu/etc/etc...". These posts were responses to other people warning everyone about it. 
My FB still has plenty #####ing about the shut down. The hoax stuff has died down a lot as news coverage has picked up but you can still feel the undercurrent of, “this isn’t gonna affect me” out there.

Trump just announced national guidelines extended until April 30. (No more Easter talk)
Phew — good.

That puts the bull back in a lot of states” and local governments’ courts. For instance ... our public schools are still supposed to re-open on 4/14. Don’t see that happening.

Germany will issue coronavirus antibody certificates to allow quarantined to re-enter society (The Telegraph [UK], 3/29/2020)

(The article is pay-walled, but you can read the first few paragraphs without a subscription)
Explain this to me like I’m dumb...we’re def going with the can’t get reinfected theory here?  Unlike the flu, which mutates often and you or I can get the “flu” numerous times, this procedure/process banks on the supposed lack of mutation of SARS-cov-2?

This sounds awesome, I’m just curious why so quick.

Phew — good.

That puts the bull back in a lot of states” and local governments’ courts. For instance ... our public schools are still supposed to re-open on 4/14. Don’t see that happening.
I doubt any school that's closed will open before summer break. Kids are settling in not to mention scared and hopefully things settle in the summer so fall is possible. It wasn't long ago LA mayor said shut down could go to late fall. 

same exact sentiment. he's gonna win a lotmof votes w his handling so far

that's possible but the provincial election is 2 1/2-3 years away iirc so that will give him lots of time to go back to who he really is  
im in BC so only have media reports to go on so im interested in how Ontarians perceive him in real time

Im not an NDP voter but have been impressed by Horgan on how he has handled it out here in BC and truthfully with  his tenure as premier with a minority government   
Simmer down hosers.

Trader Joe's was just as busy as any normal Sunday. Fred Meyer was maybe 70-80% as busy as a normal weekend (they were 50% or less when I've stopped during the week).  Lots of stores open that must be "essential": GNC Supplements (food I guess?), the Dollar Store (technically they do sell food), auto parts stores (i can see how this could be essential), Sherwin William's and Aqua Quip (I guess they fall into necessary hardware catagory).  Pot store busy.  Tobacco stores open. 

For sure not as many people out and about compared to last weekend but, I suspect that's because of the weather. Will be interesting to see what the next sunny weekend is like. 
I am are sure there are tons of things that we could list that we hope would improve for if something similar ever happens again, but one of mine is above.  

I get that people still have to go to the store, but for sure the traffic there needs to be throttled down and done in a safer way.   Right away stores that were allowed to remain open needed to adhere the max of X # of the people in the building that is set forth by guidelines, and probably bare minimum a mild screening of some sort - temps?, only allowing in 1-2 family members?, places that have cards like Costco only allowing 1 visit every 10-14 days? - SOMETHING.   Just baffling that we are limiting elsewhere, but it's as busy as you are talking at all these retail stores that allowed to stay open.    As have been joked about in the thread a few times, and I get that they are trying not to close everything, but the list of "essential businesses" is pretty lax.  

I think some of this just becomes an excuse for people to get out on the weekend, not so much stocking up on essentials.  I think it also adds to the psychological component and makes it worse to try to tell people to stay at home and stay away from large groups - why is my restaurant closed and I am out of a job if 200 people can go into Costco?  Why can't I have a cookout with 15 friends if Menards parking lot is full? etc..  

Like I've said before we are a "shelter at home" state, but you would hardly know it based on traffic, our DT business, and what some of the stores look like.   It's weird.   

For those of us out of articles - what is the gist of this article?  I saw people on Twitter talking about it too.
“So Mr. Falwell — a staunch ally of President Trump and an influential voice in the evangelical world — reopened the university last week, igniting a firestorm. As of Friday, Dr. Eppes said, nearly a dozen Liberty students were sick with symptoms that suggested Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. Three were referred to local hospital centers for testing. Another eight were told to self-isolate.“

Watching the afternoon presser. 

I'm glad we are starting to be a bit more honest about things like Duration and Casualties.

Admiral Giroir said as of close of business yesterday the U.S. has conducted 894,000 COVID-19 tests. That's the first time I've heard a national number on that.

Watching the afternoon pressure. 

I'm glad we are starting to be a bit more honest about things like Duration and Casualties.
Agreed, but It's impossible to not start using more honest numbers when everyone can see what's going on in NY.

Users who are viewing this thread