Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

34 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Serious question: What about my Jumbo Spaghetti & Meatballs?

Will probably kill you before COVID-19, but might be useful to keep the hippos at bay.

4 hours ago, culdeus said:

Still not getting the mask stuff.   In what situation will those get pressed into service?  Mass transit?  Grocery stores? 

If someone in your house get it the whole house has it before you can unbox the things.  

Agree with the latter. 

Our plan is kinda one of stages. Obviously it's quite unlikely we will get to all stages... but I like at least having a plan, and happen to have outdoorsy/military buddies who do as well: 

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios. 

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely) 

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely) 

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design. 

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Love 1

I think I'd rather just die right away than live in some sort of extreme paranoia of something that might kill me if it catches me.  YMMV.  Good luck, Rambos.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Laughing 6

10 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I think I'd rather just die right away than live in some sort of extreme paranoia of something that might kill me if it catches me.  YMMV.  Good luck, Rambos.

Certainly your call. If that happens I hope someone else will be looking out for your wife and kids, GB. 

I don't really understand the need for some to use hyperbole and personal digs to belittle folks who take a few steps to look out for their families. 

I wouldn't really call it extreme paranoia. We are living normal lives now, and will continue to do so until (if) spread begins here. If you walked around my house you'd have zero idea I had set a couple months supplies away. Same with my buddies. We are all white collar folks who make good livings and lead VERY active social lives. 

The plan to relocate to his house was made with lots of good laughs and whiskey over a campfire during annual guys camping trip.

We aren't those guys on TV hunkered down in underground bunkers chattering away on HAM radios and shooting up their white trash shipping container homes. :lol: 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I also gave in over the weekend, acknowledged that my skepticism is unwarranted, and bought two bottles of scotch and some mezcal.  I feel I"m ready for anything now.

When budgeting for "entertainment" I figured my 200 bottle whiskey collection and a deck of cards had us covered ;) 

Completely unconfirmed report with "unofficial" numbers from inside Iran. These numbers are unconfirmed but do seem more in line with the scope of the problem given the large numbers of infected individuals caught departing Iran and infecting other countries; 

Canadian researchers independently came to a similar (only more dire) conclusion. 

Iran unofficial stats revealed by a hospital resident.

I will translate the script from Persian which is my native language to English. It is not official, take it with a grain of salt. 

از یک رزیدنت بیمارستان سینا یک صدا گرفتم. صدا رو گفتن نزنم. خودم صدا رو متن کردم: درباره یک جلسه با رییس بیمارستان و معاون پژوهشیه. شیوع اپیدمی رو به همه گفتن. ورودی‌های اورژانس بین ۱۰۰۰ تا ۲۰۰۰ هزار رو پیش‌بینی کردند. ۹۰ تا رزیدنت سینا هستند و براشون شیفت‌های ۸ ساعته چیدن. دوتا از بخش ها رو خالی کردن و بخش کرونا کردند. ۸ تایی کرونایی توی اون بخش دارند. یکی از استادها درباره آمار گفته اجازه اعلام نمیدن. توی فرم نمی‌زنن. می‌فرستن برای تست، جواب نمیدن. میگن توی پرونده درج نکنید. از فرم حذف کردند.  کد ۵۵۰ کرونا رو از سیستم بیمارستان حذف کردند. چیزی حدود ۲۵۰۰ تا تشخیص قطعی و
۱۳۸ مورد مرگ. 

I asked a resident who works in sina hospital. He insisted me to not record his voice. These are his quotes related to a meeting that took place between the head of hospital and a research deputy :

The virus is widespread,  they estimated emergency entries to be between 1000 to 2000 people.

There are 90 residents in sina hospital and they are working in 8 hours shifts. Hospital dedicated 2 sections to corona treatment. There are 8 corona patients in those sections.

A professor revealed that they are not allowed to share the real numbers. They are not recorded in the hospital forms. When the samples are sent for testing they don't show any results and they don't allow any recording of these samples.

There are about 2500 confirmed cases and 138 people have died so far.

End of translation. 

This report is not official, however they tend to show more realistic numbers compared to the official ones that are heavily curbed out.

Edited by [icon]
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, [icon] said:

Agree with the latter. 

Our plan is kinda one of stages. Obviously it's quite unlikely we will get to all stages... but I like at least having a plan, and happen to have outdoorsy/military buddies who do as well: 

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios. 

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely) 

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely) 

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design. 

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy. 

:lmao: Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing”

And, serious question — to what extent are you discussing all this with, like, other real life people?  Based on the above it sounds like you and your military buddies have been spending a lot of time on this. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I also gave in over the weekend, acknowledged that my skepticism is unwarranted, and bought two bottles of scotch and some mezcal.  I feel I"m ready for anything now.

Mezcal is highly effective when adminstered rectally.  

• Laughing 2

18 minutes ago, Otis said:

:lmao: Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing”

And, serious question — to what extent are you discussing all this with, like, other real life people?  Based on the above it sounds like you and your military buddies have been spending a lot of time on this. 

Not sure why you feel need to mock, but whatever makes you feel GB. :) 

Now, yes I'm making a point to keep a little extra space where convenient. I'm not avoiding people altogether but for those of us not in the sardine can that is Manhattan, this is pretty easy ;) 

The plan to meet up with my buddy if something bad happen was hatched over a campfire talk, like I said. Was prob a couple hour general chat about preparedness.

With things escalating globally and our CDC warning folks to start preparing for What might be significant disruption, I had a 1hr chat with two of the buddies last night while helping him work on his Jeep. Seemed like as suitable topic as any. :shrug: 

Like I said, prob won't be a big issue... but if my city ends up like some of these cities in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran..... it'll be a few hours well spent. If not, we'll we were prob just going to bull#### about sports or whiskey anyway so we didn't miss much. 

I'm sure you'll be totally fine up there, not much chance of it spreading In Manhattan. You're right, I wouldn't worry about this much at all if I were you. 

Edited by [icon]
  • Love 1

Can’t really envision any reasonable scenarios where social order breaks down.

At most, High number of deaths of those over 60, slammed healthcare facilities, possible quarantines, limited travel maybe, but police, fire, national guard, utilities, and basically the entire social order backbone is unlikely to be affected significantly.

The major issues I see are inconvenience levels, loss of wealth in a global economy slipping into recession, lack of healthcare options for me and family if we get sick near height of outbreak, and maybe some supply chain disruption where items I’ve been able to rely on aren’t available for a good long while anymore. 

To me that’s about worst case which is still pretty bad.  I just can’t realistically envision looting or folks coming for another persons supplies.  It’s no big deal to be prepared for that scenario in the incredibly unlikely event it takes place, but I can’t help but rate it as almost vanishingly unlikely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

The moisture from your breath breaks them down pretty quickly, so they're not supposed to be reused.

Something unconventional, then? Perhaps something not used in health-care settings, but could be repurposed?

Bandannas, for example? Balaclavas?

4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

The moisture from your breath breaks them down pretty quickly, so they're not supposed to be reused.

Wait — if this is true, masks don’t do hardly anything to prevent a healthy person from getting infected. It’s nothing much more that a “Don't touch your face!” reminder.

For infected people, yes, masks will obviously serve as a physical barrier for their sneezes & coughs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, adonis said:

Can’t really envision any reasonable scenarios where social order breaks down.

At most, High number of deaths of those over 60, slammed healthcare facilities, possible quarantines, limited travel maybe, but police, fire, national guard, utilities, and basically the entire social order backbone is unlikely to be affected significantly.

The major issues I see are inconvenience levels, loss of wealth in a global economy slipping into recession, lack of healthcare options for me and family if we get sick near height of outbreak, and maybe some supply chain disruption where items I’ve been able to rely on aren’t available for a good long while anymore. 

To me that’s about worst case which is still pretty bad.  I just can’t realistically envision looting or folks coming for another persons supplies.  It’s no big deal to be prepared for that scenario in the incredibly unlikely event it takes place, but I can’t help but rate it as almost vanishingly unlikely.

I agree with this. Think no harm buying some extra stuff on grocery trip this week and buying a few masks but I don’t see social order breaking down.

Light Social Distancing would be a pretty good yacht rock band name 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [icon] said:

Now, yes I'm making a point to keep a little extra space where convenient. I'm not avoiding people altogether but for those of us not in the sardine can that is Manhattan, this is pretty easy ;) 

The plan to meet up with my buddy if something bad happen was hatched over a campfire talk, like I said. Was prob a couple hour general chat about preparedness.

With things escalating globally and our CDC warning folks to start preparing for What might be significant disruption, I had a 1hr chat with two of the buddies last night while helping him work on his Jeep. Seemed like as suitable topic as any. :shrug: 

Like I said, prob won't be a big issue... but if my city ends up like some of these cities in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran..... it'll be a few hours well spent. If not, we'll we were prob just going to bull#### about sports or whiskey anyway so we didn't miss much. 

I'm sure you'll be totally fine up there, not much chance of it spreading In Manhattan. You're right, I wouldn't worry about this much at all if I were you. 

I hear you.  But, like, what’s your concern?  You’re gonna catch it, and has a healthy 40 something, what, have a cold for a couple weeks?

Is your concern really that the US government is going to allow people to starve?

And gangdamnit if you’re wearing a mask around town we’re not friends anymore.

This thread needs an ***OFFICIAL*** Voice of Reason, so the rest of us can know when it’s really, seriously, time to go buy canned soup and hazmat suits.  Who is best suited for this role?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

And can someone change the stupid Tencent thread title pls?  KThx 

• Thanks 2

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little impatient on this thing hitting the US.  I'm trying to plan a summer vacation and I'd really like to know if certain places are going to be less crowded due to millions of dead people.  

• Laughing 3

16 minutes ago, Otis said:

I hear you.  But, like, what’s your concern?  You’re gonna catch it, and has a healthy 40 something, what, have a cold for a couple weeks?

Is your concern really that the US government is going to allow people to starve?

And gangdamnit if you’re wearing a mask around town we’re not friends anymore.

If I thought there was nothing more than a cold for a couple weeks, I obviously wouldn't be trying to avoid it.

I think we have much better odds as middle aged vs old guys, but I feel a responsibility to ensure myself and my girl are kept safe. I don't really feel like rolling the dice with this. This is exacerbated given hospitals will likely be completely overwhelmed and substandard care is a contributing factor to complications/death with this bug. 

Also, the US government has let people starve before... numerous times. I find your blind faith that our government is capable of feeding/sheltering everyone to be a bit alarming. No way I would want to put my family in the hands of it.... not after Katrina, Puerto Rico Quakes, etc. 

We are just different people GB, and that's okay. I prefer to be self sufficient, and to be able to provide for / protect my family in case the Government does fail me, like it has others. 

Like I said, I'm sure you'll be fine up there in Manhattan if this does start to spread up there. All good, GB. 

And no, all my masks are still in packaging. ;) 

Edited by [icon]

4 hours ago, [icon] said:

I wouldn't really call it extreme paranoia

But of course you wouldn't. Self diagnosis in such cases is rare.
;) sort of...

• Laughing 1

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

In a thread full of hyperbole, this may take the cake.

The obesity epidemic is multifactorial, but cardiologists' dietary recommendations aren't a part of it. Ekahi-Ornish is a low fat diet proven to cause regression of heart disease, for example.  And Mediterranean diets aren't particularly high in fat.

Heavily processed foods are never healthy, whether they are low-fat, low-carbohydrate, or somewhere in between.

But I agree that supplements and homeopathic nonsense will likely do nothing to slow COVID-19.

I’m not talking about Mediterranean diets (very healthy.) I’m talking about diets with too little heathy fat, and way too much flour, sugar and other long chain carbs like starches.

Recommend  you read the Better Brain Solution and Wheat Belly.

Don’t believe me, fine. Don’t call it hyperbole. 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/have-low-fat-diets-made-us-fatter/

According to Harvard:

“Over the past 20 years, Ludwig has conducted research aimed at teasing out what low-fat diets do to our bodies. He’s found that low-fat foods brought to market over the past 40 years—high in refined carbohydratesaimed at making the foods more palatable—actually raise our insulin levels, trigger our fat cells to hoard calories, slow our metabolism, and make us hungrier.”

Edited by Mr. Ham

9 hours ago, shadyridr said:

You plan on cleaning the house or something while you're in quarantine?

CDC precautions, if someone in your household is infected:

Household members, intimate partners, and caregivers in a nonhealthcare setting may have close contact2 with a person with symptomatic, laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 or a person under investigation. Close contacts should monitor their health; they should call their healthcare provider right away if they develop symptoms suggestive of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, shortness of breath) (see Interim US Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of Persons with Potential Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Exposure in Travel-associated or Community Settings.)

Close contacts should also follow these recommendations:

• Make sure that you understand and can help the patient follow their healthcare provider’s instructions for medication(s) and care. You should help the patient with basic needs in the home and provide support for getting groceries, prescriptions, and other personal needs.
  • Monitor the patient’s symptoms. If the patient is getting sicker, call his or her healthcare provider and tell them that the patient has laboratory-confirmed COVID-19. This will help the healthcare provider’s office take steps to keep other people in the office or waiting room from getting infected. Ask the healthcare provider to call the local or state health department for additional guidance. If the patient has a medical emergency and you need to call 911, notify the dispatch personnel that the patient has, or is being evaluated for COVID-19.
  • Household members should stay in another room or be separated from the patient as much as possible. Household members should use a separate bedroom and bathroom, if available.
  • Prohibit visitors who do not have an essential need to be in the home.
  • Household members should care for any pets in the home. Do not handle pets or other animals while sick.  For more information, see COVID-19 and Animals.
  • Make sure that shared spaces in the home have good air flow, such as by an air conditioner or an opened window, weather permitting.
  • Perform hand hygiene frequently. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60 to 95% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • You and the patient should wear a facemask if you are in the same room.
  • Wear a disposable facemask and gloves when you touch or have contact with the patient’s blood, stool, or body fluids, such as saliva, sputum, nasal mucus, vomit, urine.
    • Throw out disposable facemasks and gloves after using them. Do not reuse.
    • When removing personal protective equipment, first remove and dispose of gloves. Then, immediately clean your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Next, remove and dispose of facemask, and immediately clean your hands again with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid sharing household items with the patient. You should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding, or other items. After the patient uses these items, you should wash them thoroughly (see below “Wash laundry thoroughly”).
  • Clean all “high-touch” surfaces, such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, and bedside tables, every day. Also, clean any surfaces that may have blood, stool, or body fluids on them.
    • Use a household cleaning spray or wipe, according to the label instructions. Labels contain instructions for safe and effective use of the cleaning product including precautions you should take when applying the product, such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good ventilation during use of the product.
  • Wash laundry thoroughly.
    • Immediately remove and wash clothes or bedding that have blood, stool, or body fluids on them.
    • Wear disposable gloves while handling soiled items and keep soiled items away from your body. Clean your hands (with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer) immediately after removing your gloves.
    • Read and follow directions on labels of laundry or clothing items and detergent. In general, using a normal laundry detergent according to washing machine instructions and dry thoroughly using the warmest temperatures recommended on the clothing label.
  • Place all used disposable gloves, facemasks, and other contaminated items in a lined container before disposing of them with other household waste. Clean your hands (with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer) immediately after handling these items. Soap and water should be used preferentially if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Discuss any additional questions with your state or local health department or healthcare provider.

There's a lot of cleaning involved.  It's my opinion that people should be stocking up on cleaning supplies and protective gear more so than food.  Hand sanitizer, paper towels, soaps, bleaches, etc.  IMO disposable gloves are more important than masks, but no one talks about that.

and, cleaning supplies don't go bad.  Once this all blows over, it's not like you won't use paper towels or hand sanitizer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Concern meter definitely rising for me, I think we should all prepare for a good amount of disruption at this point, when you see the r naught (the rate of which something spreads), unchecked in China, one person was infecting 4-6 people.  Locking down has helped stem that number because if you didn't take measures, that would be an exponential explosion.  

Where and how fast that comes, I guess we shall find out.  Will we be playing the NCAA Tournament in empty buildings?  

So unless you buy a N95 type mask - masks are marginal at best according to doctors.    sigh

I get why people are making light of this, and certainly the stuff about generators and 55-gallon drums of water is overkill. But we've all gotten so used to just-in-time supply chains functioning without a hitch. Like any other leveraged position, the potential downsides here are non-linear. Most of us will have no idea what to do if stuff just stops showing up at stores.

I'm going to stock up non-perishable food items this weekend. Why not have some extra pasta/rice/soup in the house? Literally the only negative is that somebody on the internet might now think less of me. I can live with that.

Edited by Murph
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

I'm not saying you should not worry and people have the right to do what they feel is right for them but this sentence coming from you made me laugh  ;)

But we're all guilty of it ....

Edited by belljr

18 minutes ago, moleculo said:

CDC precautions, if someone in your household is infected:

There's a lot of cleaning involved.  It's my opinion that people should be stocking up on cleaning supplies and protective gear more so than food.  Hand sanitizer, paper towels, soaps, bleaches, etc.  IMO disposable gloves are more important than masks, but no one talks about that.

and, cleaning supplies don't go bad.  Once this all blows over, it's not like you won't use paper towels or hand sanitizer.

If someone in your house gets it, you're all getting it. I don't care if you're Mr Clean himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got a major surprise Disneyland trip scheduled with the family in April, and if this stupid thing screws that up I’m gonna be mousemad. 

In my screenplay version, we open with the campfire talk and well laid plans. Then social order breaks down and you arrive at your buddy’s compound. He yells from a window that you’re too late and may be contaminated, you can’t come in. After you argue and say you have nowhere to go he fires warning shots and you are forced to flee. Rushing back to your house, it’s occupied by MS-13 and gets hit by a FedEx plane whose pilot had COVID-19. Now it’s on. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Otis said:

I’ve got a major surprise Disneyland trip scheduled with the family in April, and if this stupid thing screws that up I’m gonna be mousemad. 

My wife has a 2 week trip with the kids to Disneyworld in May. I’m told her to keep planning. No need to reassess until April, but I suspect it’s going to be evident that it’s not a good idea by then. As stated earlier, cancelled the 10 day Mediterranean cruises in June. Still planning to spend a month in Ireland in July-August. Well before then things will resolve and that will either be a reasonable thing to do, or it will be apparent otherwise.

11 hours ago, NREC34 said:

Are they gauging for surgical masks on amazon because of this or do they just cost a lot more than you’d think?

I haven’t looked at prices lately, but I ordered a 20 pack of N95 masks from Menards about a month ago and I think it was $16 or so.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Murph said:

I get why people are making light of this, and certainly the stuff about generators and 55-gallon drums of water is overkill. But we've all gotten so used to just-in-time supply chains functioning without a hitch. Like any other leveraged position, the potential downsides here are non-linear. Most of us will have no idea what to do if stuff just stops showing up at stores.

I'm going to stock up non-perishable food items this weekend. Why not have some extra pasta/rice/soup in the house? Literally the only negative is that somebody on the internet might now think less of me. I can live with that.

Somewhere early in the thread, someone said they’d worry when and only when Wall St. recognized there is a problem. Until then, it was catastrophizing. Well... People have a normalcy bias, but there have been a few major warning signs that this is still very much a calm before a storm. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Ham said:

My wife has a 2 week trip with the kids to Disneyworld in May. I’m told her to keep planning. No need to reassess until April, but I suspect it’s going to be evident that it’s not a good idea by then. As stated earlier, cancelled the 10 day Mediterranean cruises in June. Still planning to spend a month in Ireland in July-August. Well before then things will resolve and that will either be a reasonable thing to do, or it will be apparent otherwise.

Right there with you. Switzerland trip planned for mid June. Bought travel insurance for airfare and chartered trip and so glad I did. We’ll make the decision to go or back out in May. I’m not freaking out, but I am certainly concerned.

7 minutes ago, Jobber said:

I haven’t looked at prices lately, but I ordered a 20 pack of N95 masks from Menards about a month ago and I think it was $16 or so.

I thought they’d be way cheaper. 

5 hours ago, [icon] said:

Does your friends name rhyme with DAM!

58 minutes ago, Otis said:

This thread needs an ***OFFICIAL*** Voice of Reason, so the rest of us can know when it’s really, seriously, time to go buy canned soup and hazmat suits.  Who is best suited for this role?

@Terminalxylem and it's not even close

58 minutes ago, Otis said:

Thread owner is in FBG's quarantine for 6 months, probably not gonna happen unless somebody is in good with a Mod :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

31 minutes ago, Murph said:

I get why people are making light of this, and certainly the stuff about generators and 55-gallon drums of water is overkill.

To be clear, the 55 gallon drums of water collects and filters rain water to irrigate his garden/yard… Actually quite functional, paying for themselves several times over. It's a pretty slick system that you wouldn't even really know is there unless you were looking for it.

The added benefit of having over 100 gallons of clean water on hand Is really just the cherry on top.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Eventually it will be accurate :shrug:

35 minutes ago, belljr said:

So unless you buy a N95 type mask - masks are marginal at best according to doctors.    sigh

N99 is 4 better...just saying

And you can also still find them for a reasonable price

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

I thought they’d be way cheaper. 

You can still get a 20 pack from lowes for like 20 bucks....

No one is really considering the drywall/sanding masks -   everyone is swarming to the paper "nurse masks" which they recently said are "meh"

• Thanks 1

Can we get this ####### cruise ship under control? I'm feeling like a good portion of the virus being spread outside of China is due solely to this ####### ship and the mismanagement of the containment thereof.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8046727/45-passengers-allowed-Diamond-Princess-ship-symptoms-coronavirus.html

Matter of fact, can we just cancel ####### cruises until this thing gets under control?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8045997/Cruise-ship-carrying-6-100-turned-away-two-ports-coronavirus.html

Edited by beer 30

Have a trip to Rome scheduled for first week of April. Completely non-refundable. So screwwweeeed.

For the record, I am rooting for this to be a non-issue along with the rest of you guys.

i've got about five grand tied up in a trip to Canada at the end of March, +2 concerts in St. Louis and Nashville in early April.

oh and we are collecting about $70,000 from sponsors and tying it up in the barbecue festival in early May…

and interruption of any of those would suck pretty damn bad. Definitely hoping that we've been doing nothing but some advance grocery shopping :lol: 

1 minute ago, belljr said:

You can still get a 20 pack from lowes for like 20 bucks....

No one is really considering the drywall/sanding masks -   everyone is swarming to the paper "nurse masks" which they recently said are "meh"

I didn’t think that kind would work. Can those be reused?

19 minutes ago, [icon] said:

To be clear, the 55 gallon drums of water collects and filters rain water to irrigate his garden/yard… Actually quite functional, paying for themselves several times over. It's a pretty slick system that you wouldn't even really know is there unless you were looking for it.

The added benefit of having over 100 gallons of clean water on hand Is really just the cherry on top.

Once I get my own place again I'll install a rainwater collection system with filtration. It'll be used for brewing beer (and garden irrigation, potentially washing clothes)

21 minutes ago, belljr said:

No one is really considering the drywall/sanding masks -   

I have a pack of these in the garage. Are they any good against the virus?

Edited by jamny

Hearing that the travel insurance plans are trying hard to not payout for this.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, msommer said:

Once I get my own place again I'll install a rainwater collection system with filtration. It'll be used for brewing beer (and garden irrigation, potentially washing clothes)

Mmmmmm beer. I had no idea you brewed :thumbup: 

1 minute ago, culdeus said:

Hearing that the travel insurance plans are trying hard to not payout for this.  

Absolutely true.

Allianz has a disclaimer on their site saying they're not covering, and offering refunds to folks who purchased plans. My travel protection with Chase Sapphire said flat out they're not covering it when I called.

I'm guessing most/all will decline coverage unless you have a doctors note saying you're too sick to travel. Thankfully I know some doctors ;) 

• Sad 1