What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Someone correct me if I am wrong (like I need to state that amirite? :lol:  ) but "eating the virus" (heckuva band name there, IMO) kills it, no?  What I have done the couple of times we have gotten takeout, once receiving the food, is: 1) open all packages and have all the food items accessible where you only have to touch the food itself 2) hand sanitize or wash hands thoroughly 3) NOMNOMNOM 4) discard packaging 5) repeat step 2  6) profit?

*HUGS*

:lol:

excuse what may seem to be a dumb ### question, but ...

how are folks trusting take-out/delivery food?  surely the staff can sneeze or cough or spread it via their hands (even in gloves, yes - lest they change into a fresh pair every 30 seconds).

dying for a friggin pizza, but, what do ya do?  rinse it in sanitizer prior to eating? (<---- sarcasm).

what assurances have been given that this is safe?  best i ascertained was "we can't say it does spread the virus at this time" - not "no, it cannot spread this way"

thanks, i'll hang up n' listen. 
We take the pizza outs of the box and basically reheat in oven. My understanding is it doesn’t last long on hot surfaces so hot food is very low risk but containers have some risk which is why we do extra heating. 

see, that's what i told my gf ... seems logical, but she's very sketchy on it - we are decently stocked on can goods, pasta, rice, cereals, etc ... but sometimes ya just wanna taste something. 

thanks for the tip, had not seen that recommended in any of the digging i did.   :thumbup:
Yea we’ve done it 4 times now. My wife is super freaked but I read the virus is killed at a 125 or something so it should be fine. 

how are folks trusting take-out/delivery food?  surely the staff can sneeze or cough or spread it via their hands (even in gloves, yes - lest they change into a fresh pair every 30 seconds).

dying for a friggin pizza, but, what do ya do?  rinse it in sanitizer prior to eating? (<---- sarcasm).

what assurances have been given that this is safe?  best i ascertained was "we can't say it does spread the virus at this time" - not "no, it cannot spread this way"

You're really unlikely to get it from food unless a fecal-oral method of transmission is established, which I don't think is the case.

You're more likely to get it from the packaging by touching it with your hands and then touching your nose or your eyes. So just take your food out, wash your hands really well, and don't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think fried chicken is the safest. Dunked in boiling oil for 20 minutes, then transferred to your box using tongs. 

You're really unlikely to get it from food unless a fecal-oral method of transmission is established, which I don't think is the case.

You're more likely to get it from the packaging by touching it with your hands and then touching your nose or your eyes. So just take your food out, wash your hands really well, and don't worry about it.
This was the exact advice Sanjay Gupta provided on a podcast last week.   

I've heard of some people using wipes or disinfectant on the packaging.   I was wondering why those people simply don't have gloves or napkins to handle the packaging. 

Alright, help me out here. How the #### do I break the habit of touching my face? There's got to be some method that's helpful aside from wearing a mask 24/7 (which I am close to doing). I quit smoking 20 years ago, I feel like I can overcome this but it feels like I'm trying to climb Everest. Every time I turn around I'm leaning on my hand or scratching my nose or rubbing my eye. Everything you shouldn't be doing now, I've done in triplicate this weekend (aside from licking handrails, I have standards).
I am always "itchy". I have been using tissues to cover skin to skin contact.

You can't keep your hands clean enough without washing them a hundred times per day. 

If your face itches, at least use the back of your hands or a sleeve. Or the back of a knuckle.
Here's just one example:

Your phone is one of the filthiest things you own. We touch it constantly, put it down, touch it again, etc.

Unless you wash your hands every time you touch your phone, they are just as dirty. So you can either wash your hands hundreds of times until they bleed or you can just stop touching your face (particularly your nose, mouth, and eyes). 

I haven’t dug into their methodology really at all but based on that thread it seems they are using curve fitting to capture the phenomenological trends rather than use something more mechanistic or first principles. That’s has me concerned already. 

Birx seemed to align with its general predictions, I suspect, because the midpoint estimate of US deaths was under 100k and perhaps less alarming to the public. She specifically drew contrast to other models that were much more dire. Maybe it’s just my impression but she’s seemed to be much more willing to downplay the potential for this getting way out of hand. 
it seems that lack of available tests limits knowlege about first principle parameters.  I suppose you could use parameters from other countries as a surrogate, but that really just introduces more variables that may or may not be confounding.  

Alright, help me out here. How the #### do I break the habit of touching my face? There's got to be some method that's helpful aside from wearing a mask 24/7 (which I am close to doing). I quit smoking 20 years ago, I feel like I can overcome this but it feels like I'm trying to climb Everest. Every time I turn around I'm leaning on my hand or scratching my nose or rubbing my eye. Everything you shouldn't be doing now, I've done in triplicate this weekend (aside from licking handrails, I have standards).
this is what you need. this is what we all need.

The PA "lockdown" seems like a joke. Every day I get emails from another business boasting that they're OPEN FOR BUSINESS AS USUAL! along with a summary of how they've successfully petitioned the government to be deemed "essential". The latest was a fishing guide I follow on FB. I mean, it seems pretty innocent, but I havent heard of a single business of any sort being denied. Additionally, some boroughs are taking upon themselves to publicly announce that they won't be enforcing the "essential businesses only" rules in their town. Meanwhile, the State handed out a few warnings the first day of the "lockdown", but I haven't seen or heard of any since. SMH.

Delivered or takeout food is fine. 

Food delivery has been recommended as a simple way to maintain social-distancing practices during the global COVID-19 outbreak, because there is little risk of virus transmission through food itself, says Ian Williams, Ph.D., chief of the Outbreak Response and Prevention branch of the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which investigates food and waterborne illnesses. The United States Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture concur; no organization has reported that COVID-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging. The biggest risk of transmission, Williams says, is in exposure to individuals who are symptomatic.

“There is no evidence out there, so far with [COVID-19], that it’s foodborne-driven or food service-driven,” Williams said in an information webinar. “This really is respiratory, person-to-person. At this point, there is no evidence really pointing us toward food [or] food service as ways that are driving the epidemic.”

Here's just one example:

Your phone is one of the filthiest things you own. We touch it constantly, put it down, touch it again, etc.

Unless you wash your hands every time you touch your phone, they are just as dirty. So you can either wash your hands hundreds of times until they bleed or you can just stop touching your face (particularly your nose, mouth, and eyes). 
What if i scratch my balls a lot and never touch my face? I am safe right? 

A nurse friend shared this with me, and I'm sure it's been posted in here at some point. Nice and clean, and you can select each state and see it's projected peak. 

Before I share it (on social), does this look to be accurate (or close) to our resident experts?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR3Uy3tZ1XNbdDbR-KsAhmHLc2g-xphx68sJaRgJouNNy7j5G5wrbEfrXi8
I posted a Twitter thread critiquing this site yesterday.

The assumption behind those curves is that when a state does 3 out of 4 of closing the schools, ordering social distancing, closing restaurants and bars and... some other thing, the US is in a similar state to Wuhan when authorities there clamped down.

They also assume that any state that hasn't done those three of those things yet will do so by Saturday.

IOW, that by Saturday the US has enacted similar countermeasures as the Chinese.

0 chance for me.   I will take food home from here, because I know that corporate has made us do certain things and we are good about disinfecting protocols.  But I know that seemingly 1/2 of the staff still think this is silly, so there is no way I would trust them in a delivery scenario.   

Take out maybe if I knew the business well and thought they were taking extra precautions too.   There is a local pizza joint that I would trust for take out, but not delivery, and no way would I go through fast food drive through other than ours.  

Thats not really addressing the issue. This is like the fact checking about bleach killing the virus and telling you not to drink bleach.

If food packaging is perfectly safe, which he doesnt say, then all surfaces are perfectly safe. 

So yes the slice of pizza is fine. But the pizza doesnt teleport into your mouth.
The author did actually address food packaging.

no organization has reported that COVID-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging. The biggest risk of transmission, Williams says, is in exposure to individuals who are symptomatic.

“There is no evidence out there, so far with [COVID-19], that it’s foodborne-driven or food service-driven,” Williams said in an information webinar. “This really is respiratory, person-to-person. At this point, there is no evidence really pointing us toward food [or] food service as ways that are driving the epidemic.”

Food packaging also poses little risk; Dionne-Odom says she encourages people to continue shopping for needed items, including food, via delivery services. Just remember to wash your hands frequently, she cautions. 

Get the latest COVID-19 information at uab.edu/coronavirus.

“Packages will be coming from a number of hands, and you might not know the symptom status of everyone who touched it along the way,” Dionne-Odom said. “Wash your hands after opening and handling the package. That will kill the germs.”

One guy's plight with cv. Comments are others who had it sharing. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShirazMaher/status/1243554346396246018
I don’t think I had It, but man some of my symptoms in late January were really close. I had a mild fever to start and just felt bad almost more like a cold but the coughing was bad at time (definitely milder than him). The main thing that got me was that my coughs did nothing and sometimes felt like a cough attack. It all just sat in my chest. I finally went to an urgent care and my BP was high (enough that they started me on medicine) and they gave me an inhaler and I took Mucinex. That stuff really helped clear out the lungs but it really was difficult and in a much different way from getting the flu a couple years ago. Never had a tough time breathing and getting that nasty stuff out.

Again, I doubt I had it that early but I was flying around the country every week from Thanksgiving through the third week of January. I’m pretty good at not spreading colds around the family and work from home so not a bad carrier. Anyway, the coughing and having to use Mucinex was definitely not an ordinary sickness for me. They told me it was an upper respiratory infection, which it probably was, but it did start with a fever too.

I don’t think I had It, but man some of my symptoms in late January were really close. I had a mild fever to start and just felt bad almost more like a cold but the coughing was bad at time (definitely milder than him). The main thing that got me was that my coughs did nothing and sometimes felt like a cough attack. It all just sat in my chest. I finally went to an urgent care and my BP was high (enough that they started me on medicine) and they gave me an inhaler and I took Mucinex. That stuff really helped clear out the lungs but it really was difficult and in a much different way from getting the flu a couple years ago. Never had a tough time breathing and getting that nasty stuff out.

Again, I doubt I had it that early but I was flying around the country every week from Thanksgiving through the third week of January. I’m pretty good at not spreading colds around the family and work from home so not a bad carrier. Anyway, the coughing and having to use Mucinex was definitely not an ordinary sickness for me. They told me it was an upper respiratory infection, which it probably was, but it did start with a fever too.
Mucinex is the bomb. Works fast too. 

YOU STOP!!!

I responded to Cap who ripped the Florida Governor along with several others and you didn't have any problem with any of them taking their shots at the Florida Governor but as soon as I simply defended the Florida Governor ONCE because I am a Floridian and have my own OPINION and you want to try and shut me up and shut down any opposition to anything you FEEL shouldn't be in this thread. I respect the rules of this board as much as anyone else and I have just as much right to my opinion as you do. 

Cheers
Everyone - please take any political talk to the political forum. Don't post it here. 

0 chance for me.   I will take food home from here, because I know that corporate has made us do certain things and we are good about disinfecting protocols.  But I know that seemingly 1/2 of the staff still think this is silly, so there is no way I would trust them in a delivery scenario.   

Take out maybe if I knew the business well and thought they were taking extra precautions too.   There is a local pizza joint that I would trust for take out, but not delivery, and no way would I go through fast food drive through other than ours.  
thank you for the sobering counterpoint, lotta weight coming from someone in the biz. 

Packages will be coming from a number of hands, and you might not know the symptom status of everyone who touched it along the way,” Dionne-Odom said. “Wash your hands after opening and handling the package. That will kill the germs.”
I probably should read the whole thing next time, but she certainly hedges her statements. 

My point remains though, if food packaging is safe, all surfaces are safe, which we cant assume yet. 

Eta: also how does remove shoes make the cut in there?

Here's just one example:

I wipe my phone each time I return from "the outside".  

A nurse friend shared this with me, and I'm sure it's been posted in here at some point. Nice and clean, and you can select each state and see it's projected peak. 

Before I share it (on social), does this look to be accurate (or close) to our resident experts?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR3Uy3tZ1XNbdDbR-KsAhmHLc2g-xphx68sJaRgJouNNy7j5G5wrbEfrXi8
That May 3rd date for Florida seems really late. I'm expecting the numbers to explode this week due to the delay with last week's test results.

Not doubting things could get bad here but i would've expected to top out a couple weeks sooner.

You can't keep your hands clean enough without washing them a hundred times per day
Well ...

I'm for sure north of 50 if you count hand-sanitizer uses. Actual soap-&-water washings is ~30x/day. I'm also using the aloe vera gel I bought to make homebrew sanitizer on my hands by itself to ward off rashes/cracking skin.

Shove them down your pants.

Honestly, we should probably be washing our hands before we scratch our balls than vice versa as our hands are much dirtier. 

But yes, you're fine.  "Scratch" away.
I assume that if you're giving medical advice that you specialize in this area.

I just went through this timeline with my daughter yesterday but I don't think it marries up. I was fine going into Christmas break but on Christmas day I woke up feeling like I was coming down with something and by the end of the day was out. Body ache, severe fatigue, no appetite, runny nose and coughing. Stayed that way for 4 days, trying to fight it with Dayquil. Finally broke down and went to urgent care on the 5th day, got tested for flu (negative) and was diagnosed with bronchitis. My wife gets bronchitis almost every year so I'm familiar with it and it sure didn't feel like that but a Zpack knocked it out in a couple of days.

My daughter had just come back from NY on the 23rd and we saw her then, she was also fighting a cold at that point. Was trying to convince myself I've already had this thing but I don't think the timeline marries up at all.

thank you for the sobering counterpoint, lotta weight coming from someone in the biz. 
You make it so prestigious.  :wub:

Just being honest - in normal circumstances we have a battle with some of the staff about hygiene, washing clothes, etc..  Hell, I had to ask a fellow manager the other day to put on gloves at the drive thru and they seemed annoyed by it.    What would the car situation be like for these people who are bringing the delivery to you?  Who was in their car the last couple days?  Hard pass on that.   

Like I said, if there is a local take out place that you trust and it looks like they are being vigilant with gloves, have signs posted, etc..  a lot less risk there.   

I think fried chicken is the safest. Dunked in boiling oil for 20 minutes, then transferred to your box using tongs. 

Mmm thanks for the lunch recommendation 
I’d actually survived the first 3 weeks of our shelter-in-place lifestyle without any fast food; doing so good making all our meals.  And then wifey on Saturday said “we haven’t had Popeye’s in a long time” and dang it if I didn’t lose the internal battle of resistance quickly.

So good, yet so destructive to our TP stock

Well ...

I'm for sure north of 50 if you count hand-sanitizer uses. Actual soap-&-water washings is ~30x/day. I'm also using the aloe vera gel I bought to make homebrew sanitizer on my hands by itself to ward off rashes/cracking skin.
Which is fine.  And it's a good habit.

But the reality is this:  There are SO many environmental things that are dirty/carry disease that we interact with every day.  Phones, keyboards, door handles, elevator buttons, pens/pencils.  It's impossible to eliminate pathogens from all of these different areas.  Yes, you can wipe your phone and keyboards and other things, but in the end, it's still going to be there.

For the same reason, your hands are constantly going to come into contact with many of these surfaces.  You can wash them repeatedly but the next time you touch one, you're right back where you were.

The main problem and how you eventually get sick is when you bring those pathogens in contact with a point of entry to your body.  Your eyes.  Your nose.  Your mouth. 

As great as wiping shopping cart handles and using Purell constantly is, if you were to never touch your face with your hands, you'd virtually eliminate the need to do any of those other things.  Since I know I can't fully eliminate what's in the environment and I'm unlikely to get my hands clean enough all the time, I've just eliminated touching my face with my hands.  If I have to touch my face (itch, eating, whatever), I wash my hands.  Or I use something else to touch my face (tissue, paper towel, sleeve, etc.).  So that cuts down the number of potential exposures significantly if I rarely touch my face.  Which cuts down the probability of me catching something significantly.

Even with all the handwashing, I would say 99% of you aren't washing your hands well enough EVERY TIME to get them fully clean.  Especially under your nails which technically should be cleaned each time as well.  But you could dip your hands into a petri dish of stuff and as long as you didn't bring it into contact with your face, you're very unlikely to get sick.

Just think of your hands as absolutely filthy all the time and avoid doing that and you'll keep yourself pretty healthy overall. 

Well ...

Are you still having to leave for work? 

Heading to the doctor today at 11a.  I am a chronic ear infection person due a crustacean tube issue.  Friday, I started to feel flushed and ear hurty, with a scratchy throat.  I am quite sure I don't have the plague, but likely need an augmentin or zythromicin round.  1% nervous, but I know I've had this before. 

I would like to see the government offer some incentive to social distancing. Say $1000.00 to everyone who does not catch Covid 19 by June 1.
Its a way to keep people away from hospitals for non-emergencies.  

More with the virus may die, but it would lower the spread.  

Andy Dufresne said:
Here's an idea for a drinking game.

Every time you hear "uncertain times", take a swig.
Add in "tough" "troubling" or "trying" times and you'll die of alcohol poisoning.
I do voiceovers and every other audition now contains similar terms. Of course, accompanied by "we'll get through this" "america will come back" etc.

Well ...

Are you still having to leave for work? 
Nope. Not since Friday the 20th. I was washing/sanitizing about as often at work, though (desk jockey).

Users who are viewing this thread