Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

18 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

For work I am working with a place that does surveys, we’re getting them to do a survey for us that’s unrelated to the virus.  But when I just talked to the guy on the phone he said they were swamped because they’re doing a ton of surveys in different areas where they’re just calling people to ask if they have a fever.  That information will be used to estimate how widespread the virus is in particular areas so that hospitals will be able to better predict how bad the onslaught will be. 

I thought that was pretty cool, hope it works.

Kinsa (?) thermometers doing a great job on this

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I need some advice- non political: 

my 17 year old daughter is begging me to be allowed to go to the park and hang out with 2 of her friends. She swears she will stay 6 feet apart. She’s going stir crazy. 

Thoughts? 

Sorry Tim, no way.

I have a 15 year old daughter in the same boat--she is just itching to get out and see friends. I keep telling her, it is just for a short period of time and we all have to do our part. She isn't happy, but with my health, I can't take the chance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Is the cycle on this still 10 days or is it higher / lower? Meaning from point of exposure to symptom presenting.

Reason I ask is - are we at the point where we should be seeing the effect of the stay at home efforts?

If we're seeing this rate of growth when the stay at home effort should be bearing fruit, then we're in some deep trouble.

If not, maybe we'll see the spread slow down in the next few days as a result of the stay at home push.

We also don't really know what effect the fact that tests themselves are ramping up is having on the growth rate. It could be a whole different slope.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Do you all know what's in the pipeline for replicating the initial study? I assume your guys want to do a similar study with many more patients now that proof-of-concept is established. Is there an issue with sharing results with other researchers in other countries? Is this all proprietary resource or more "open source" in the world medical community?

I don't think there will be an issue sharing results with other countries.  I know they have been in contact with China and I think Italy too.

Many hospitals volunteering to provide patients for the studies so enrollment shouldn't be an issue.  CYDY CEO said he thinks enrollment could be done in 1-2 weeks.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

We also don't really know what effect the fact that tests themselves are ramping up is having on the growth rate. It could be a whole different slope.

Good point. The ramped up testing is simultaneously rapidly increasing the case rate while lowering the death rate.

Disclaimer: Stating that the death rate is declining does not equal pushing the idea that there is no danger or that there's no reason to stay diligent.

32 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

Where are the non-danger zones?

At this rate, Jupiter would be my best guess.

Not Florida...the planet

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if we have efforts racing to develop widespread antibodies testing? 

2 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Leave an few cases unquarantined and without protective measures for the population, and you get an explosion.  It's likely to happen in Canada and Mexico, but maybe they'll clamp down hard on people coming in from the USA as they might be carriers.

Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anybody coming into Canada (only started this week, though)

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/03/new-order-makes-self-isolation-mandatory-for-individuals-entering-canada.html

Earlier today everyone in Ontario received a text message with a "you are required by law..."  message. I think there is a tip line to rat out anyone who isn't obeying.  

It wasn't retroactive to anyone who came in, say a week ago so I'm not really sure how many people are still coming in.

As for our numbers being low, I';m sure part of it is the fact our entire population is slightly more than California. Possibly because we drink Maple syrup straight from the bottle as well. :whistle:

18 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

Only a few areas have had stay at home efforts that are 10 days or longer.

Maryland was one of the first to shut down schools and many businesses, but the general statewide shutdown was only ordered earlier this week.

NY statewide shutdown was 3/20, 1 week ago today.

Why it took so long is baffling. Glad for the response now but that extra week earlier could have made a huge difference. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

They're going to start cordoning off the parking lots to San Luis Obispo County, CA beaches this weekend. Sucks. Seems a bit overboard to me.

The problem is that in many places with shelter in place orders (like here) people can’t help themselves and they swarm the beaches and parks on the weekend, ending up with overcrowding and the opposite of social distancing. So they close the parking lots - keeps people from driving and flocking to these public spaces while allowing locals who can walk there to still utilize. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Indeed. Everyone. Can we make that happen? How close can we get?

I think it is a big ask given the inconsistent messaging coming from the White House and individual states.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Kinsa (?) thermometers doing a great job on this

Saw this on a TV show the other night. Florida seemed to have a whole bunch of fever going at the time (compared to the norm for this time of year).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, falguy said:

I'm in Ontario. Small town about 30k. I believe it was Monday when the order to close all but essential services came out. That list if pretty extensive tho so there are still lots of "essential" services.   I'm in I.T. and working from home so, fortunately, still getting paid and as safe as possible from this.  Grocery stores are open, as this thing has progressed they've made changes to limit quantities on many items, limit people in the stores,limit hours  etc. My go-to store has employees there to clean off the cart handles and also apply hand sanitizer to you if you wish.  Physical distancing in place with tape on the floor at checkouts.  It's pretty well managed as far as that goes. 

Dining rooms in all restaurants and coffee shops are closed. As of yesterday, any restaurant that has a liquor license can sell liquor to it's customers provided they buy food as well.  So your take-out can come with a beer.  That's an Ontario thing. Maybe it will help sales for these places.  

We've had a couple of positive cases in my town and they haven't' released any names and I have no idea what would be told to any co-workers of anyone who tests positive.  

As of Wednesday Canada has mandated 14 day quarantine for passengers returning to canada. Our PM speaks every morning at 11am EST for about 15-20 minutes. Q&A follow.  Government has  implemented policies and funds to try to help those in need. Today offering money to small businesses. Earlier this week money to anyone unemployed due to this.  

I personally feel our government is doing as good a job as can be expected but they are definitely not pleasing everyone. 

LOL.....How's the WestMount Mall doing?  My wifes family came down to the states before she was born....but pretty much her whole family were born, raised and lived in London.  We used to go up there all the time and when I mentioned I was from Delaware, they all thought it was right down the street.  

Edited by Thunderlips

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zoobird said:

Also most areas had almost no testing ten days ago, so the actual numbers then were likely MUCH higher than the official numbers, meaning that the growth rate since then is actually lower than it appears to be.

And on the other hand we appear to only be testing the very ill or those who have been in contact with positive patients. So the numbers are terribly difficult to get a handle on.

Edited by cap'n grunge

28 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

So yesterday our city announced that they will be removing all basketball hoops from city parks this morning.

Facebook blew up with all those people who still think this whole thing is a hoax to get.... (oh wait... that's political... so I can't mention that here).

Anyway, all these pissed off women with kids who can't play basketball anymore decide to turn to the tides to the subject of golf courses... which Ohio Governor DeWine's press secretary told the public may remain open as long as they follow some guidelines. These pissed off parents who think it's all a hoax are now up in arms about how unfair it is the poor kids can't play basketball, but "rich folk" can still play golf. They start defining "essential" by their own opinions. It took off on a life of it's own.

Well guess what... they just got their way. Despite the Governors press secretary giving them the okay to remain open, our City just ordered them to close. 

I don't golf. So this isn't a personal thing. But I honestly do not see the problem with golfing as long as the guidelines they must follow are followed. In my opinion, while we are all doing this "shelter in place", people need to get out and get some sun and fresh air. They need to walk in parks. Walking a golf course while playing a game of golf is just as good. I guess the golfers in our city will just have to commute to other cities to golf, as again, the state allows golfing even during this. 

Makes sense to appease, given the circumstances. Then enforce at the courts if it's anything other than properly distanced games of HORSE and do the same at the golf course if they are complying, as well.

22 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens where I am (North of Boston). We don't yet have a ton of people requiring hospitalization, but we are designated to cover overflow for the Boston hospitals. They have been at it non-stop prepping and converting places here in NH (outpatient medical facilities, a college, a high school, a nursing home, and a psych hospital so far that I know of), adding hundreds if not thousands of beds if needed. My wife was on the nursing admin side of moving all existing hospital patients all over the place, and now the hospitals are mostly empty waiting for the projected tsunami of patients to hit. So she is partly petrified if they need all those beds and partly not seeing how they could possibly fill all the beds they created. Certainly the better option is they created a lot of extra beds for nothing, but IMO we are a long way from being able to determine that.

Let's hope the latter, but it is certainly good to hear the preparations are being done. 🤞

1 minute ago, shader said:

True story:  lockdown calories don’t count.

There is another health crisis in the making.

• Laughing 1

N.C. Gov issues 30 day closure of non essentials starting 5p today.  

Wow, for those thinking China has this thing under control, check out the local videos being posted on @TruthAbtChina on Twitter

8 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

LOL.....How's the WestMount Mall doing?  My wifes family came down to the states before she was born....but pretty much her whole family were born, raised and lived in London.  We used to go up there all the time and when I mentioned I was from Delaware, they all thought it was right down the street.  

:D

Westmount Mall has little to no retail anymore. There's a theatre and, some business.

https://londonfuse.ca/what-happened-to-westmount-mall/

Similar to my office downtown which used to be The Mews. a couple clothing shops. Only 2 malls in town, White Oaks in the  South and Masonville in the North.

I've driven through Delaware 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, falguy said:

I've driven through Delaware

Did you notice?

• Laughing 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, chet said:

Cytodyn paid video explaining the patient results and how the drug helped the severely ill patients.

I hope they are good at theirregular jobs because they suck at tv.

Edited by cosjobs
  • Like 1

If you take out NY I don’t know if Canada is faring any better than the US considering population difference. 

Shocked Toronto has not been more hard hit yet. 

34 minutes ago, Ben Hur said:

Wisconsin seems like an outlier here.

They usually are.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 3

1 hour ago, rogwadd said:

Read this article.  It's painful.  If you want to pursue that gig, contact ABC14News.  Unfortunately, competition for the position may be too much.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/26/graham-asks-governors-to-help-fix-coronavirus-unemployment-loophole/

Umm, not sure what this site is trying to be, other than a very poor parody of the news, or a genius parody of the news.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-by-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

• Laughing 1

42 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

There is another health crisis in the making.

Mine is being partially offset from no fast food every day. Man am I craving it though.

1 hour ago, Doug B said:

The incubation period is variable -- shortest I've read about is 2 days ... longest is 24 days (though the longer ones are controversial). 5-8 days is considered the range where most people's symptoms (if they're going to get them) set in.

The reason there's been some settling in on "14 days" is that incubation periods longer than 14 days are very rare.

As far as I can tell, the average incubation period seems like it's 5.1 days with a stdev of 2.5.  So 7.6, 10.1, 13.6 days for 68%, 97% and 99% of cases.  Give or take -- with a skew.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Wow, for those thinking China has this thing under control, check out the local videos being posted on @TruthAbtChina on Twitter

Don’t do the twitter.  What’s the issues here?  People going nuts for being able to finally go out after so long, or is this a second wave?

I am pleasantly surprised where I am at a lake house in a rural county. 3 confirmed cases. Very few people on the road. There were four people in the grocery store when I went yesterday and it was fully stocked with the exception of paper products. I'm headed back to the city to get my bike and a few other things, but I think I will be riding this out here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:
1 hour ago, rogwadd said:

Read this article.  It's painful.  If you want to pursue that gig, contact ABC14News.  Unfortunately, competition for the position may be too much.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/26/graham-asks-governors-to-help-fix-coronavirus-unemployment-loophole/

Umm, not sure what this site is trying to be, other than a very poor parody of the news, or a genius parody of the news.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-by-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

Just to make sure the house understands -- this website is not an ABC affiliate and is not a television station, despite the website name. The site is a step above The Onion, though it purports to report "real news". Scroll way down on their pages, and check out the "About Us" link.

Always be careful with your links.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just finished my first virtual happy hour.  Never thought such a thing would be welcome.  It honestly was good to see co-workers again after 2weeks of WFH.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

Does anyone know if we have efforts racing to develop widespread antibodies testing? 

did you see this one I posted earlier today (I know, this thread moves fast) https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/27/serological-tests-reveal-immune-coronavirus/?utm_source=STAT Newsletters&utm_campaign=3442a73637-MR_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-3442a73637-152297566&fbclid=IwAR1Go_DSlywwsR7Si673nM9PcxZFMwvMpfpCXkenKNDCCTenGlMpql5B0q8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Totally worth a repost. The author speculated that rollout of the serum antibody test will finally get us some sampled infection numbers for the U.S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Statorama said:

I can't imagine anyone still thinking that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Thanks! Sounds like good work going on. I hope it's being well coordinated so we can get into practice quickly!

Edited by cap'n grunge
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Just finished my first virtual happy hour.  Never thought such a thing would be welcome.  It honestly was good to see co-workers again after 2weeks of WFH.

This is a great idea. Online poker games would be great too.

Edited by cap'n grunge

16 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Just to make sure the house understands -- this website is not an ABC affiliate and is not a television station, despite the website name. The site is a step above The Onion, though it purports to report "real news". Scroll way down on their pages, and check out the "About Us" link.

Always be careful with your links.

Hate to "infect" this thread with off topic stuff, but after doing some digging, that site is literally copying other news sites articles, and then changing some of the words to probably evade being caught plagiarizing. I found a sports article that seemed kind of normal, and on a hunch, googled one of the sentences, and presto, found an identical CBS sports article. The one I thought was a parody, about the cat with coronavirus, was a link from the NY Post (which has it's own problems). https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-with-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Founded in 2019.

This ventilator issue is frustrating. Trump basically saying we're good and we can send to other countries too when all.the states are begging for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shader said:

True story:  lockdown calories don’t count.

I’m currently working on my own Covid 19 (pounds)

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I’m currently working on my own Covid 19 (pounds)

Calling mine the Quarantine 15

• Like 2
  • Laughing 4

In the course of my daily routine at work, I noticed that an attempt had been made to sterilize N95 masks today. I don't know if they were used masks or not. If they had been used, I am also not aware of the method of cleaning employed prior to the sterilization. The sterilization was done prior to my arrival at work, at another location in our health system. But this piqued my curiosity, so I did some Google-fu and found thisAnd this.

I only did a cursory read-through and didn't sort through any of the relevant studies cited in these particular papers, but my takeaway was that if done correctly, and depeding on the materials that the masks are composed of, N95 masks can potentially be used, decontaminated, and sterilized using Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (VHP) plasma (Sterrad) low temperature sterilization and be safe for reuse at least once, possibly even multiple times.

Vaporized hydrogen peroxide

VHP has been shown to be sporicidal at temperatures ranging from 4 to 80°C, with sterilant concentrations ranging from 0.5 to <10 mg l−1 (Joslyn, 1991). VHP decontamination for a single warm cycle did not significantly affect FFR filter aerosol penetration or filter airflow resistance. The only visible physical effect on the FFRs was a slight tarnishing of the metallic nosebands. The VHP process used in this study has a short cycle time (55 min) and a usable processing volume of 3.5 ft3 (0.1 m3) (Advanced Sterilization Products, 2007). Although the 55-min cycle time is short compared to the lengthy EtO total process time, the throughput capability of VHP processing is limited by the fact that cellulose-based products (e.g. cotton, which may be present in some head straps or some FFR layers) absorb hydrogen peroxide and can cause the STERRAD® cycle to abort due to low hydrogen peroxide vapor concentration. Significant levels of residual hydrogen peroxide vapors off-gassing from FFR materials following the STERRAD® process are unlikely and not of concern because the vapors decompose readily into water vapor and oxygen, both of which are environmentally benign (Advanced Sterilization Products, 2007).

Sterrad is quite common throughout large hospitals and is also used by a number of independent sterilization companies. The operation of the machines is relatively inexpensive, although the initial financial outlay (I wanna say something in the neighborhood of $200K each brand new, but I could be wrong, I don't authorize the purchase orders for them) is quite large.

If this is the case, it could definitely be at least a temporary solution for some of the PPE shortages some of these hospitals are experiencing. If anyone else has the knowledge or time to dig further on this, I'd be very interested in the results.

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

NBC [Video): Race to Meet Demand for Coronavirus Medical Supplies Sets Off Bidding War

States should not have to out bid each other for medical supplies ($5 per N95 mask).  I hope the federal government does something about this.

I completely agree, but sadly the Federal Government literally told the States to go out and find their own equipment.

22 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

This ventilator issue is frustrating. Trump basically saying we're good and we can send to other countries too when all.the states are begging for them.

Basically said or said?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yikes - 

I got out today to finally get the Rx's I need at CVS. Bad idea, as it was the first day over 65 degrees in many months. I live in the Northeast in the inner city. 

I've never seen more people outside, congregating around food trucks, at the dominican market/liquor store on the block, there must have been 20 people inside a tiny bodega sized shop, I ducked in to grab one small item on my way home from CVS. people were literally reaching around me to put stuff up on the counter.

The food truck was the weirdest thing. Packed, on an innercity street. 

Neighbors have their doors open blasting their music, there's a party going on in the yard behind me. 

CVS was still out of every essential, I desperately some alcohol based hand wash.

I've social distanced and quarantined and been to myself for weeks and I go out and see this and just SMH. And this is a major US city (Providence, RI). 

I fear as it gets warmer, we're actually going to do worse with handling this. 

I dont know what else to say, an anecdotal experience, but I was disappointed in what I say, however I need my RX's 

Edited by IMAX 3D
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, zoonation said:

Yes.  I was initially unhappy with the federal government response as they were a bit late (in my view) to take this seriously.  I'm not a Trudeau fan - think he is a phony - but he got serious very quick, which was about two weeks ago.  Each province across the country declared a state of emergency very early on.  I live in Alberta and we have been under state of emergency and a shelter in place directive for about two weeks now, and that started when there was less than 50 cases in the province.

The messaging coming out of our province (and every province so far as I am aware) has been consistent and in lockstep with the feds have been saying.  We are taking this extremely seriously, have few cases relative to the rest of the world, and are not talking about "opening the country back up by Easter".  Science and Canada Health are leading the messaging.

So far, I believe that only Ontario has issued a formal directive re only essential businesses remaining open.  Quebec too maybe.  I think other provinces would have too, but the voluntary compliance is working.  I live in a city of 1.2 million, and nothing is open.  I am not sure about shielding the name of a positive tested co-worker.  Our entire downtown core is shut down though.  Everyone is working from home.

I was talking to a friend earlier today about our country and province's responses

i was a little disappointed by trudeau's response at the start as well. we knew what was coming so why f%%k around and put the rules in place that we all knew were coming . my guess on why he didnt was its easier to do in stages so people accept each increments instead revolting and up in arms  if he did it all at once. 

for the province's im thrilled that all parties (NDP ,PC, LIB) that are in power are all agreeing and on the same page . would've been disappointed , scared and mad if we had deniers and have the situation like in the US . where red states are locked down and blue states have their head in the sand . im over generalizing the US situation to make my point  

we had some decent news for our top DR today in BC but we are no where near the peak