Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

13 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:
1 hour ago, rogwadd said:

Read this article.  It's painful.  If you want to pursue that gig, contact ABC14News.  Unfortunately, competition for the position may be too much.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/26/graham-asks-governors-to-help-fix-coronavirus-unemployment-loophole/

Umm, not sure what this site is trying to be, other than a very poor parody of the news, or a genius parody of the news.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-by-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

Just to make sure the house understands -- this website is not an ABC affiliate and is not a television station, despite the website name. The site is a step above The Onion, though it purports to report "real news". Scroll way down on their pages, and check out the "About Us" link.

Always be careful with your links.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just finished my first virtual happy hour.  Never thought such a thing would be welcome.  It honestly was good to see co-workers again after 2weeks of WFH.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

Does anyone know if we have efforts racing to develop widespread antibodies testing? 

did you see this one I posted earlier today (I know, this thread moves fast) https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/27/serological-tests-reveal-immune-coronavirus/?utm_source=STAT Newsletters&utm_campaign=3442a73637-MR_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8cab1d7961-3442a73637-152297566&fbclid=IwAR1Go_DSlywwsR7Si673nM9PcxZFMwvMpfpCXkenKNDCCTenGlMpql5B0q8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Totally worth a repost. The author speculated that rollout of the serum antibody test will finally get us some sampled infection numbers for the U.S.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Statorama said:

Wow, for those thinking China has this thing under control, check out the local videos being posted on @TruthAbtChina on Twitter

I can't imagine anyone still thinking that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Thanks! Sounds like good work going on. I hope it's being well coordinated so we can get into practice quickly!

Edited by cap'n grunge
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Just finished my first virtual happy hour.  Never thought such a thing would be welcome.  It honestly was good to see co-workers again after 2weeks of WFH.

This is a great idea. Online poker games would be great too.

Edited by cap'n grunge

16 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Just to make sure the house understands -- this website is not an ABC affiliate and is not a television station, despite the website name. The site is a step above The Onion, though it purports to report "real news". Scroll way down on their pages, and check out the "About Us" link.

Always be careful with your links.

Hate to "infect" this thread with off topic stuff, but after doing some digging, that site is literally copying other news sites articles, and then changing some of the words to probably evade being caught plagiarizing. I found a sports article that seemed kind of normal, and on a hunch, googled one of the sentences, and presto, found an identical CBS sports article. The one I thought was a parody, about the cat with coronavirus, was a link from the NY Post (which has it's own problems). https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-known-cat-infected-with-coronavirus-reported-in-belgium/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Umm, not sure what this site is trying to be, other than a very poor parody of the news, or a genius parody of the news.

Founded in 2019.

This ventilator issue is frustrating. Trump basically saying we're good and we can send to other countries too when all.the states are begging for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shader said:

True story:  lockdown calories don’t count.

I’m currently working on my own Covid 19 (pounds)

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I’m currently working on my own Covid 19 (pounds)

Calling mine the Quarantine 15

• Like 2
  • Laughing 4

In the course of my daily routine at work, I noticed that an attempt had been made to sterilize N95 masks today. I don't know if they were used masks or not. If they had been used, I am also not aware of the method of cleaning employed prior to the sterilization. The sterilization was done prior to my arrival at work, at another location in our health system. But this piqued my curiosity, so I did some Google-fu and found thisAnd this.

I only did a cursory read-through and didn't sort through any of the relevant studies cited in these particular papers, but my takeaway was that if done correctly, and depeding on the materials that the masks are composed of, N95 masks can potentially be used, decontaminated, and sterilized using Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (VHP) plasma (Sterrad) low temperature sterilization and be safe for reuse at least once, possibly even multiple times.

Vaporized hydrogen peroxide

VHP has been shown to be sporicidal at temperatures ranging from 4 to 80°C, with sterilant concentrations ranging from 0.5 to <10 mg l−1 (Joslyn, 1991). VHP decontamination for a single warm cycle did not significantly affect FFR filter aerosol penetration or filter airflow resistance. The only visible physical effect on the FFRs was a slight tarnishing of the metallic nosebands. The VHP process used in this study has a short cycle time (55 min) and a usable processing volume of 3.5 ft3 (0.1 m3) (Advanced Sterilization Products, 2007). Although the 55-min cycle time is short compared to the lengthy EtO total process time, the throughput capability of VHP processing is limited by the fact that cellulose-based products (e.g. cotton, which may be present in some head straps or some FFR layers) absorb hydrogen peroxide and can cause the STERRAD® cycle to abort due to low hydrogen peroxide vapor concentration. Significant levels of residual hydrogen peroxide vapors off-gassing from FFR materials following the STERRAD® process are unlikely and not of concern because the vapors decompose readily into water vapor and oxygen, both of which are environmentally benign (Advanced Sterilization Products, 2007).

Sterrad is quite common throughout large hospitals and is also used by a number of independent sterilization companies. The operation of the machines is relatively inexpensive, although the initial financial outlay (I wanna say something in the neighborhood of $200K each brand new, but I could be wrong, I don't authorize the purchase orders for them) is quite large.

If this is the case, it could definitely be at least a temporary solution for some of the PPE shortages some of these hospitals are experiencing. If anyone else has the knowledge or time to dig further on this, I'd be very interested in the results.

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

NBC [Video): Race to Meet Demand for Coronavirus Medical Supplies Sets Off Bidding War

States should not have to out bid each other for medical supplies ($5 per N95 mask).  I hope the federal government does something about this.

I completely agree, but sadly the Federal Government literally told the States to go out and find their own equipment.

22 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

This ventilator issue is frustrating. Trump basically saying we're good and we can send to other countries too when all.the states are begging for them.

Basically said or said?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yikes - 

I got out today to finally get the Rx's I need at CVS. Bad idea, as it was the first day over 65 degrees in many months. I live in the Northeast in the inner city. 

I've never seen more people outside, congregating around food trucks, at the dominican market/liquor store on the block, there must have been 20 people inside a tiny bodega sized shop, I ducked in to grab one small item on my way home from CVS. people were literally reaching around me to put stuff up on the counter.

The food truck was the weirdest thing. Packed, on an innercity street. 

Neighbors have their doors open blasting their music, there's a party going on in the yard behind me. 

CVS was still out of every essential, I desperately some alcohol based hand wash.

I've social distanced and quarantined and been to myself for weeks and I go out and see this and just SMH. And this is a major US city (Providence, RI). 

I fear as it gets warmer, we're actually going to do worse with handling this. 

I dont know what else to say, an anecdotal experience, but I was disappointed in what I say, however I need my RX's 

Edited by IMAX 3D
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, zoonation said:

Yes.  I was initially unhappy with the federal government response as they were a bit late (in my view) to take this seriously.  I'm not a Trudeau fan - think he is a phony - but he got serious very quick, which was about two weeks ago.  Each province across the country declared a state of emergency very early on.  I live in Alberta and we have been under state of emergency and a shelter in place directive for about two weeks now, and that started when there was less than 50 cases in the province.

The messaging coming out of our province (and every province so far as I am aware) has been consistent and in lockstep with the feds have been saying.  We are taking this extremely seriously, have few cases relative to the rest of the world, and are not talking about "opening the country back up by Easter".  Science and Canada Health are leading the messaging.

So far, I believe that only Ontario has issued a formal directive re only essential businesses remaining open.  Quebec too maybe.  I think other provinces would have too, but the voluntary compliance is working.  I live in a city of 1.2 million, and nothing is open.  I am not sure about shielding the name of a positive tested co-worker.  Our entire downtown core is shut down though.  Everyone is working from home.

I was talking to a friend earlier today about our country and province's responses

i was a little disappointed by trudeau's response at the start as well. we knew what was coming so why f%%k around and put the rules in place that we all knew were coming . my guess on why he didnt was its easier to do in stages so people accept each increments instead revolting and up in arms  if he did it all at once. 

for the province's im thrilled that all parties (NDP ,PC, LIB) that are in power are all agreeing and on the same page . would've been disappointed , scared and mad if we had deniers and have the situation like in the US . where red states are locked down and blue states have their head in the sand . im over generalizing the US situation to make my point  

we had some decent news for our top DR today in BC but we are no where near the peak 

35 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

I can't imagine anyone still thinking that.

I do? As do most health organizations and epidemiologists?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herb said:

In the course of my daily routine at work, I noticed that an attempt had been made to sterilize N95 masks today. I don't know if they were used masks or not. If they had been used, I am also not aware of the method of cleaning employed prior to the sterilization. The sterilization was done prior to my arrival at work, at another location in our health system. But this piqued my curiosity, so I did some Google-fu and found thisAnd this.

I only did a cursory read-through and didn't sort through any of the relevant studies cited in these particular papers, but my takeaway was that if done correctly, and depeding on the materials that the masks are composed of, N95 masks can potentially be used, decontaminated, and sterilized using Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (VHP) plasma (Sterrad) low temperature sterilization and be safe for reuse at least once, possibly even multiple times.

Sterrad is quite common throughout large hospitals and is also used by a number of independent sterilization companies. The operation of the machines is relatively inexpensive, although the initial financial outlay (I wanna say something in the neighborhood of $200K each brand new, but I could be wrong, I don't authorize the purchase orders for them) is quite large.

If this is the case, it could definitely be at least a temporary solution for some of the PPE shortages some of these hospitals are experiencing. If anyone else has the knowledge or time to dig further on this, I'd be very interested in the results.

In today's daily 2 p.m. press conference by Ohio governor DeWine, it was mentioned that Battelle institute in Columbus has developed a method for Mass sterilization of medical masks and it has been submitted to the FDA for approval. I think they said one machine could sterilize 200,000 160,000 masks per day. They were going to be sending machines to Ohio, New York, Seattle, and a few other hot spots.

ETA: https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/ohio-company-waits-for-fda-approval-on-tech-to-sterilize-masks/amp/

Edited by NotSmart
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chadstroma said:

Huge impact in the mortgage industry. A short, well written and easy to understand explanation from an industry leader here: https://www.mbshighway.com/mortgage-crisis.html?fbclid=IwAR1BeDNYdDJSJnKaJZQBrBGJM43UC9NVp59k6S-YsgvhSsxrpSrNGVGXCkc

I just started an fha streamline yesterday.  Locked in a rate one percentage point lower than I have.  I have no idea if it will close but figured I’d take the cheap rates while I could 

6 minutes ago, jamny said:
29 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Basically said or said?

Nevermind, I just saw it. He said if we don't need them here, we will be able to help other countries. The horror!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IMAX 3D said:

Yikes - 

I got out today to finally get the Rx's I need at CVS. Bad idea, as it was the first day over 65 degrees in many months. I live in the Northeast in the inner city. 

I've never seen more people outside, congregating around food trucks, at the dominican market/liquor store on the block, there must have been 20 people inside a tiny bodega sized shop, I ducked in to grab one small item on my way home from CVS. people were literally reaching around me to put stuff up on the counter.

The food truck was the weirdest thing. Packed, on an innercity street. 

Neighbors have their doors open blasting their music, there's a party going on in the yard behind me. 

CVS was still out of every essential, I desperately some alcohol based hand wash.

I've social distanced and quarantined and been to myself for weeks and I go out and see this and just SMH. And this is a major US city (Providence, RI). 

I fear as it gets warmer, we're actually going to do worse with handling this. 

I dont know what else to say, an anecdotal experience, but I was disappointed in what I say, however I need my RX's 

Police need to be breaking this up. What is it about stay inside that people don’t understand? People are dying. Good gosh. 

4 minutes ago, shader said:

I just started an fha streamline yesterday.  Locked in a rate one percentage point lower than I have.  I have no idea if it will close but figured I’d take the cheap rates while I could 

If it doesn't (which there could be a good chance if you don't close in the next couple of weeks) I would say you will have a chance to do so after the crisis and things normalize. 

If you want, send me the Loan Estimate and I will review it to make sure you are getting a good deal. Just DM me. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, falguy said:

Mandatory 14 day quarantine for anybody coming into Canada (only started this week, though)

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/03/new-order-makes-self-isolation-mandatory-for-individuals-entering-canada.html

Earlier today everyone in Ontario received a text message with a "you are required by law..."  message. I think there is a tip line to rat out anyone who isn't obeying.  

It wasn't retroactive to anyone who came in, say a week ago so I'm not really sure how many people are still coming in.

As for our numbers being low, I';m sure part of it is the fact our entire population is slightly more than California. Possibly because we drink Maple syrup straight from the bottle as well. :whistle:

this should've been put in place the day Trudeau had his press conference  urging every Canadian to come back home asap 
its one of the few things Im disappointed in by our government 

heard a crazy stat on the CBC podcast today . The Canadian consulates usually get 6000 calls a year from Canadians needing help in foreign countries . the are getting 5-6k requests a day looking for help in the last week 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cap'n grunge said:

Mine is being partially offset from no fast food every day. Man am I craving it though.

Yeah....for months I've been #####ing that McDonalds needs to bring back the Little Mac....and now, dammit...when I'm under lockdown.  I can't get it. I don't eat fast food often.....but when I want it...I want it. 

3 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Police need to be breaking this up. What is it about stay inside that people don’t understand? People are dying. Good gosh. 

I almost thought about calling the police on the liquor store. They have the sign posted no more than 4 people at a time but people kept walking in. 

My CVS doesn't have a drive thru either. 

I'm officially worried now (I was taking all the precautions before) but I was literally out of food, dog food, and my medicine that I need

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thunderlips said:

Yeah....for months I've been #####ing that McDonalds needs to bring back the Little Mac....and now, dammit...when I'm under lockdown.  I can't get it. I don't eat fast food often.....but when I want it...I want it. 

I’m just glad the McRib isn’t getting some special release because I’d just be on a standing daily order if it were

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Courtjester said:

Sorry Tim, no way.

I have a 15 year old daughter in the same boat--she is just itching to get out and see friends. I keep telling her, it is just for a short period of time and we all have to do our part. She isn't happy, but with my health, I can't take the chance.

MN has some nice temps today. The kids are everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Pickles said:

MN has some nice temps today. The kids are everywhere. 

Yep. 

8 minutes ago, IMAX 3D said:

I almost thought about calling the police on the liquor store. They have the sign posted no more than 4 people at a time but people kept walking in. 

I'm officially worried now (I was taking all the precautions before) but I was literally out of food, dog food, and my medicine that I need

What is alcohol based hand wash?... Is that different from hand sanitizer?

Just now, NotSmart said:

What is alcohol based hand wash?... Is that different from hand sanitizer?

I was just told it's a safer version of a way to keep my hands clean from a Covid info site.

I'm not even sure what I was looking for. It doesn't really matter, they had NO hand wash at all.

I have the at home brands for your bathroom sink that are natural and stuff and I just sure of their efficacy and wanted to look for something a bit more recommended. 

14 minutes ago, jamny said:

Nevermind, I just saw it. He said if we don't need them here, we will be able to help other countries. The horror!

After downplaying the need.

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, IMAX 3D said:

Sorry you had to deal with all those inconsiderate selfish people. The rate of transmission for this disease is off the charts, it makes people very sick, a dangerous percentage of which that will require hospitalization, where the staff are all fearing for their lives. Disgusting.

Wife’s sister and family live 15 minutes north, in Cedar Park, Texas. I refer to this as “North of the Wall.” Their neighborhood is pretty closely packed houses.

By-and-large they didn’t take this seriously, and thought they would go ahead with Vegas Spring Break trip until the night the NBA shuttered and Tom Hanks got it, and suddenly they woke up. Brother in law close to eye rolled me about two weeks before when he saw I’d planted a garden and asked if it was a “Disaster Garden?” I told him I thought we might eventually be hunkered down for awhile.

Anyway, they went for a walk with their two girls today, and were shocked that the entire neighborhood seems to view this as a block party - as if lockdown means they can all act like one closely knit family. 

Then the Kona Ice truck came by (snow cones) and the neighborhood lined up single file with no safe distance. My in laws were trying to see if they could safely integrate into the line, and when they realized it was for not, some little girl ran up from behind and hugged their 5 year old. 

They finally left and went home and resolved to not go out unless it’s very early or very late. 

We’re ####### doomed.

• Sad 4

Just now, Mr. Ham said:

Wife’s sister and family live 15 minutes north, in Cedar Park, Texas. I refer to this as “North of the Wall.” Their neighborhood is pretty closely packed houses.

By-and-large they didn’t take this seriously, and thought they would go ahead with Vegas Spring Break trip until the night the NBA shuttered and Tom Hanks got it, and suddenly they woke up. Brother in law close to eye rolled me about two weeks before when he saw I’d planted a garden and asked if it was a “Disaster Garden?” I told him I thought we might eventually be hunkered down for awhile.

Anyway, they went for a walk with their two girls today, and were shocked that the entire neighborhood seems to view this as a block party - as if lockdown means they can all act like one closely knit family. 

Then the Kona Ice truck came by (snow cones) and the neighborhood lined up single file with no safe distance. My in laws were trying to see if they could safely integrate into the line, and when they realized it was for not, some little girl ran up from behind and hugged their 5 year old. 

They finally left and went home and resolved to not go out unless it’s very early or very late. 

We’re ####### doomed.

Read my post just above. This is exactly what my experience today was.

My neighbors are having a cookout right now. I can see their entire yard from my 2nd story window with about 10 people. My next door neighbor have their front door open all day blasting music. Everyone is out. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

101 or higher at the moment. these are just our local guidelines.  

I am curious about self diagnosing because this thing is so ####ing insidious.  A close friend of mine tested positive today and was admitted immediately because he’s high risk due to medical condition. No fever, just felt a bit off since Saturday. Then some fatigue, and his doctor ordered a test which came back positive for C19.  He’s been in lockdown, albeit with his family home, for almost two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

After downplaying the need.

I'm sure the USA will have a lot of extra unneeded ventilators to send around the world.

In related news, Ohio's Dr. Amy Acton today said Ohio is looking into planning for having multiple patients connected to a single ventilator.

Just as a counter note to all of the people out partying, my neighborhood in Minneapolis is dead quiet. I occasionally see a couple of people walking a dog down the street, but I've never seen anyone grouped or partying or anything. In my few trips out for supplies the roads have been clearer than I've ever seen and people are distancing in line, in the aisles, etc. Hopefully we're doing enough up here.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, IMAX 3D said:

Read my post just above. This is exactly what my experience today was.

My neighbors are having a cookout right now. I can see their entire yard from my 2nd story window with about 10 people. My next door neighbor have their front door open all day blasting music. Everyone is out. 

The government has to outlaw this activity or it will happen.  It’s just human nature. We just got a letter from the govt with the guidelines saying keep groups at 10 or less.  If that’s what the govt (local and federal) suggests, that’s what people will do.

If people need to isolate in their own homes and see no one, the govt needs to say that.  Otherwise they won’t do it.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Just as a counter note to all of the people out partying, my neighborhood in Minneapolis is dead quiet. I occasionally see a couple of people walking a dog down the street, but I've never seen anyone grouped or partying or anything. In my few trips out for supplies the roads have been clearer than I've ever seen and people are distancing in line, in the aisles, etc. Hopefully we're doing enough up here.

I mean this in a completely non discriminatory way. It also could be a cultural issue for me? I live in an almost entirely Dominican neighborhood. Backyard cooksout, BBQs and loud spanish/mexican music is always on blast. FWIW I chose to live here, I love my neighborhood and I'm glad they love me, but at least in my neighborhood, everyone is out and about. MY african american neighbor hasn't left his house in weeks. We text back and forth to stay in touch in case one of us needs something but we've been the quietest 2 houses on the block. (I'm the biggest gringo in the world BTW, other than being able to speak fluent Spanish)

Edited by IMAX 3D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

So yesterday our city announced that they will be removing all basketball hoops from city parks this morning.

Facebook blew up with all those people who still think this whole thing is a hoax to get.... (oh wait... that's political... so I can't mention that here).

Anyway, all these pissed off women with kids who can't play basketball anymore decide to turn to the tides to the subject of golf courses... which Ohio Governor DeWine's press secretary told the public may remain open as long as they follow some guidelines. These pissed off parents who think it's all a hoax are now up in arms about how unfair it is the poofor kids can't play basketball, but "rich folk" can still play golf. They start defining "essential" by their own opinions. It took off on a life of it's own.

Well guess what... they just got their way. Despite the Governors press secretary giving them the okay to remain open, our City just ordered them to close. 

I don't golf. So this isn't a personal thing. But I honestly do not see the problem with golfing as long as the guidelines they must follow are followed. In my opinion, while we are all doing this "shelter in place", people need to get out and get some sun and fresh air. They need to walk in parks. Walking a golf course while playing a game of golf is just as good. I guess the golfers in our city will just have to commute to other cities to golf, as again, the state allows golfing even during this. 

Local news had a video segment this afternoon  of a number of groups (perhaps 10-15 people) fleeing a soccer field, jumping fences, and tearing out in their vehicles after news cameras began fiming. Apparently, the police had already instructed them to leave.  This occurred in Gaithersburg, MD, just outside of DC.