What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...
I’m so sorry. Where in Florida is she? Can one of us help in any way??

So what is the extreme mild case of this? Can you have gotten it without ever showing any symptoms or is there always something?

Also wondering this.  I'm 50+ and always have some ailment (headache, sore throat, aches and pains)...
Same.  I sneeze a few times a day, get itchy eyes, cough a couple times a day.  I know I have allergies; could be alleviated by an OTC drug but the symptoms are SUPER mild.  I just roll with 'em.  E2A:  I'm 46 tho...

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is the extreme mild case of this? Can you have gotten it without ever showing any symptoms or is there always something?
Yes, COVID infection can be completely asymptomatic. Influenza is the same way (EDIT: in fact, a strong majority of influenza infections are asymptomatic).

Asymptomatic is fairly common. In one small Italian town, Vo, they tested all 3,300 residents (this was before the hospitals were overrun.) Half of the positives had no symptoms.
I’d like to see a follow-up to this study to see how many of those eventually showed symptoms.  Would be a fairly easy follow-up and would help us a lot.

Arizona issues stay at home order.

Really doesn't change anything that Ducey's already laid out.. Been surprised (even shocked) how well people here have been handling it. Roads have been really clear in the Paradise Valley/downtown-midtown Phoenix/Scottsdale areas anyway for the past week+. Almost surreal how empty the 51/202 are. Imagine it's probably worse in Tempe with so many younger folks there. 

Also expanded the current closure of AZ public/charter schools to rest of the school year.

Stay at home in Virginia starting tonight

been a couple weeks since I’ve left the house

i wanted to venture out for bread milk & eggs but think I’ll hold off another week or so 

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Wishing you all the best during this difficult time.

Wait, what? Snoqualmie is closed until 9/30 already?
Yes, announced a few days ago:  Mt Baker-Snoqualmie NF closed until 9/30, though it was specifically stated to be subject to being rescinded if circumstances change.

A huge swath of the most well traveled hiking areas in the Cascades from south of Seattle all the way to the border with Canada.

ETA:  Dark green on the map.

My heart aches for you. So sorry for your loss. I'm glad he got to hear your final words to him. Xx

Actaully, I'm retracting my last contribution to the thread. This thread should stay apolitical even if people can't help but make it so. 
I agree with you, but I want to note that decisions made by the FDA and CDC were -- as far as I know -- made by folks who are not political appointees.  Obviously we should all be free to criticize decisions made by our political leaders, and I get that this is not the thread for that.  But I think we ought to be allowed to talk about failures of non-partisan agencies here.  And also, we should be allowed to praise folks like Andrew Cuomo who has handled this crisis very well despite being in the other tribe as me.  But I will drop it if folks think that is best.

Arizona issues stay at home order.

Really doesn't change anything that Ducey's already laid out.. Been surprised (even shocked) how well people here have been handling it. Roads have been really clear in the Paradise Valley/downtown-midtown Phoenix/Scottsdale areas anyway for the past week+. Almost surreal how empty the 51/202 are. Imagine it's probably worse in Tempe with so many younger folks there. 

Also expanded the current closure of AZ public/charter schools to rest of the school year.
Took my dogs to the park this morning, around 32nd and Shea. Gorgeous day, perfect for the park, and nobody was there. Drove by Shadow Mountain High School on the way home, was just weird to see it completely abandoned.

Just had one of those moments when you realize how fast this is all happening, how distant it seems in some moments and close in others. Surreal.

I agree with you, but I want to note that decisions made by the FDA and CDC were -- as far as I know -- made by folks who are not political appointees.  Obviously we should all be free to criticize decisions made by our political leaders, and I get that this is not the thread for that.  But I think we ought to be allowed to talk about failures of non-partisan agencies here.  And also, we should be allowed to praise folks like Andrew Cuomo who has handled this crisis very well despite being in the other tribe as me.  But I will drop it if folks think that is best.
That wasn't directed at you at all; it was a reminder to myself to not do so. I wasn't playing board cop with you, IK. Nor Dinsy. These are observations that can and should be able to be made. My apologies for making anyone feel bad with my comment and retraction.

For what it's worth, I was going to talk about Henry Olsen as I feel that I'm uniquely qualified to know his work and where he once worked but I thought that veered a little political, so I rescinded it.   

Actaully, I'm retracting my last contribution to the thread. This thread should stay apolitical even if people can't help but make it so. 
Hey Rock and all, sorry for the post above.  I was replying to RHE and didn't look to see which thread it was in.  Deleting now.

Hey Rock and all, sorry for the post above.  I was replying to RHE and didn't look to see which thread it was in.  Deleting now.
Like I just said, no sweat, Dinsy. I think it should be able to be discussed and I had something substantive to bring but thought better of it, as it was way more of a political comment than either yours or IKs was. That was really directed at myself.

So my apologies to both of you. 

LA county investigating COVID outbreaks in 11 nursing homes. 

Andrew Blankstein

@anblanx

Ferrer adds that the Public Health is investigating #COVID19 outbreaks at 11 nursing home facilities in LA County.

1:10 PM · Mar 30, 2020·Twitter Web App
Really really fear this stuff. Just saddens me.

Have had many discussions with co-workers already about the potential impacts at these long term care facilities. Particularly when many people in there aren't able to communicate. Just frightening stuff.

I'm happy to defer to @FBG Moderator on this, but it seems to me that posts along the lines of "I was never a fan of Andrew Cuomo before, but he's really distinguished himself in the past few weeks" do more to bring people together than push partisan agendas that are better diverted to the PSF.
Agreed. It’s hard to keep those topics on point in subsequent responses, but absolutely nothing wrong with noting the stellar work we have seen at the gubernatorial level. State & local pols are providing leadership when we need it most. 

It’s nothing but positive vibes.

Took my dogs to the park this morning, around 32nd and Shea. Gorgeous day, perfect for the park, and nobody was there. Drove by Shadow Mountain High School on the way home, was just weird to see it completely abandoned.

Just had one of those moments when you realize how fast this is all happening, how distant it seems in some moments and close in others. Surreal.
I’ve hiked the 40th and Shea (south of Shea) trails at least a hundred times. Used it as a training ground for my rim to rim hike a dozen years ago. Thanks for mentioning the area as it brings back happier times.

We have had an extra fridge/freezer in the garage since we moved in this house 13 years ago.  It was the fridge from our old house.  
Fridge for beer and the extra gallon of milk and juice boxes and random overflow/bulk items.

Freezer for pizzas and meat and those tube freeze pops for the kids.

Definitely help...in this case its just now back to mostly stocked after the storms that blew through at the beginning of March killing our power for 3 days.

Helped scoring some meat from a friend who had an in with a restaurant distributor and we split an order at wholesale cost. 
Yeah, not having a garage at my current place for an extra fridge has been the biggest drawback.  We've been managing fairly well though, first grocery delivery in over two weeks today to shore up the resources.

Agreed. It’s hard to keep those topics on point in subsequent responses, but absolutely nothing wrong with noting the stellar work we have seen at the gubernatorial level. State & local pols are providing leadership when we need it most. 

Agreed.  On a local level in NC (both county and state), we have consistently made moves to shut things down ahead of everywhere but the most hit locations.  

Heading to the doctor today at 11a.  I am a chronic ear infection person due a crustacean tube issue.  Friday, I started to feel flushed and ear hurty, with a scratchy throat.  I am quite sure I don't have the plague, but likely need an augmentin or zythromicin round.  1% nervous, but I know I've had this before. 
You always came off as a little crabby, but I have more sympathy now.

Am I the only one who can see the flaw in this logic?

Might as well shut them down for the school year

@AlachuaSchools: Florida's Commissioner of Education Richard Corcoran has announced that schools will remain closed through May 1, which means the new target date for reopening is Monday, May 4.

seen reports fo some ppl dying trying this at home. 
That's the problem. We know nothing really. That's why they do clinical trials and don't just take some docs word. There are multiple meds/combos being tested to ensure not that it has a success rate but it doesn't come with potential bad side effects.

New York reported 124 new deaths this evening.  Putting the total for the day in the USA to 543 with Washington (and Washington DC) the only areas not to report anything yet.

New York reported 124 new deaths this evening.  Putting the total for the day in the USA to 543 with Washington (and Washington DC) the only areas not to report anything yet.
Do you know how that works? Seems like several days I have noticed Cuomo announces one thing at noon and the di Blasio has updated numbers in the evening. Hope they’re using the same reporting mechanisms consistently.

Yesterday Cuomo said there were 237 deaths since the day before but Worldmeter showed NY going from 882ish to 965. 

Do you know how that works? Seems like several days I have noticed Cuomo announces one thing at noon and the di Blasio has updated numbers in the evening. Hope they’re using the same reporting mechanisms consistently.

Yesterday Cuomo said there were 237 deaths since the day before but Worldmeter showed NY going from 882ish to 965. 
I don't know why it works the way it does in New York.  There is usually an announcement in the morning that has the majority of New York's new cases.  For whatever reason, every evening they report a lot of deaths.  Very few additional cases are added in the evenings. 

Users who are viewing this thread