What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

i'm starting to notice that things the wife watches nightly on her French news (iptv, so she gets channels from back home)... 2-3 days later, or longer, it starts getting discussed here (in re: to Covid).

almost like with fashion. 

they're ahead of us in terms of dealing w the outbreak... I should start watching more attentively and start sharing here what they're saying

The PA "lockdown" seems like a joke. Every day I get emails from another business boasting that they're OPEN FOR BUSINESS AS USUAL! along with a summary of how they've successfully petitioned the government to be deemed "essential". The latest was a fishing guide I follow on FB. I mean, it seems pretty innocent, but I havent heard of a single business of any sort being denied. Additionally, some boroughs are taking upon themselves to publicly announce that they won't be enforcing the "essential businesses only" rules in their town. Meanwhile, the State handed out a few warnings the first day of the "lockdown", but I haven't seen or heard of any since. SMH.
I saw on Facebook that the local beer distributor is open after being deemed essential, because they "have water and snacks".

got our stay at home order in Arizona, finally
Seems to pretty pointless, everyone is essential and seemingly no plan to enforce if you’re not. I’m not really seeing the promising emptiness in the West Valley as others are, seems like business as usual in most places. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Lots of cases in AZ but not so much in NM. Any idea why?

Think their respective populations are around 7.2M v 2M, cases are 964-237, deaths 18-2.
Metro areas are the big difference. A large chunk of the AZ cases are in Maricopa county (Phoenix Metro).

Seems to pretty pointless, everyone is essential and seemingly no plan to enforce if you’re not. I’m not really seeing the promising emptiness in the West Valley as others are, seems like business as usual in most places. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Yep. It’s pretty toothless and you’re right, lots of businesses deemed essential that shouldn’t be.

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...
Sorry for your loss.  Safe travels.

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but doctor on CNN earlier who shared that patients are showing up at ERs thinking they are having a heart attack and it's caused by Covid. They aren't sure if it's the virus itself or the immune system attacking the heart. Just one more complexity. Gave examples of patients thinking they were recovering and then having cardiac issues. 🙁

New York reported 124 new deaths this evening.  Putting the total for the day in the USA to 543 with Washington (and Washington DC) the only areas not to report anything yet.
Michigan jumped from 21 deaths yesterday to 52 deaths today unfortunately. 

There’s a certain news outlet that keeps pushing a certain unproven drug and a certain ‘side’ constantly bringing it up. Just FYI. 

Rudy Giuliani had a post blocked on Twitter about some false claims about the drug.

My dad has been sick for a few weeks.  My mom called me today to say he was about to die.  I said some final words to him and he could hear me but was unable to respond.  He passed a short time later.

Now I have to find a way to help my mom get through this while she’s in Florida, I’m in Michigan and the Coronavirus is in full force.  I want to fly down to help her but also don’t want to inadvertently infect her by catching it while in a plane or the airport.  What a mess right now...
Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. 

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

3/28 - 581,528 reported cases - 27,551 dead - USA 123,428 cases - 2,211 dead

3/29 - 640,507 reported cases - 30,666 dead - USA 142,047 cases - 2,484 dead

3/30 - 702,911 reported cases - 34,476 dead - USA 163,479 cases - 3,148 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Sorry if it's been discussed already, but doctor on CNN earlier who shared that patients are showing up at ERs thinking they are having a heart attack and it's caused by Covid. They aren't sure if it's the virus itself or the immune system attacking the heart. Just one more complexity. Gave examples of patients thinking they were recovering and then having cardiac issues. 🙁
The reports of presenting symptoms and progression continues to scare me. So many stories of common symptoms quickly progressing to much worse. Or no symptoms at all. One of the NYC doctors mentioned a case of someone in the ER for a car accident was found to have lung damage caused by CV.

Per the WHO...no masks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

I'm not buying it.  However if any frontline workers want the half pack that's been sitting open on my garage shelf, I'll be glad to donate them.
I don’t know if I have Covid-19. I might be asymptomatic. I’ve been informed by many experts to live my life like I already have it, as does every other human I encounter.

There’s very little I can do right now to impact the world. The most important task I have is to stay home. If I have to cross the street to buy something or need a solo walk around the block, there are a few things I can do before I leave - sanitize before and after, and don my surgical gloves & N95.

It makes me feel better.

There’s a certain news outlet that keeps pushing a certain unproven drug and a certain ‘side’ constantly bringing it up. Just FYI. 

Rudy Giuliani had a post blocked on Twitter about some false claims about the drug.
The need for an easy "out" so business the world can get "back to normal".

The real "out" will not be easy and it will not be quick. Settle in.

seen reports fo some ppl dying trying this at home. 
My wife read that people were dying from using the wrong product - basically from self treating with the wrong substance.  I don’t have a link though, and am burned out on talking to my family tonight.
One person who died bought and ingested some chloroquine phosphate made for parasite control in aquariums. Probably a huge overdose -- I doubt he pre-mixed his dose in a 200-gallon tank to dilute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayor of Houston is calling on criminals to take a break from crime during the pandemic.
Well I mean if ISIS can take some time off, surely the Houston crime syndicate can lay low for a couple of weeks, right?

Michigan jumped from 21 deaths yesterday to 52 deaths today unfortunately. 
Looking like Detroit is going to be the next ####show judging by how they are gearing up, Chicago can’t be far behind.

As of now, I’ll only be allowed in for the delivery(c-section) and have to leave about 2 hours afterwards until wife and baby are discharged 3 days later.

Kind of bummed and more worried about my wife’s sanity. She’s had a rough pregnancy and really think she needs someone in her corner while dealing with nurses, doctors, and lactation consultants. 

Nothing we can do about it though. 

:sadbanana:

No. Sorry. This is where the ‘this is political’ line is bull####. I appreciate your sensitivity @BobbyLayne but I’m sorry. 

Saying something is false that also may inflame a certain political side isn’t ‘political.’  It’s responsible. And it should be allowed here. 
You’re not wrong. But I hate it when this thread veers into stuff like this.

The good doctor in question has published no data, described no study design, and reported no analysis. Making an assertion in a blog post or in a YouTube interview or appearing on national tv or being tweeted by the Presidents lawyer does not describe the study design nor provide the actual data used to reach a conclusion about efficacy. You just have to take his word for it.

Let the reader decide.

As of now, I’ll only be allowed in for the delivery(c-section) and have to leave about 2 hours afterwards until wife and baby are discharged 3 days later.

Kind of bummed and more worried about my wife’s sanity. She’s had a rough pregnancy and really think she needs someone in her corner while dealing with nurses, doctors, and lactation consultants. 

Nothing we can do about it though. 

:sadbanana:
Healthy baby is all you can ask for. Good luck and congrats! 

No. Sorry. This is where the ‘this is political’ line is bull####. I appreciate your sensitivity @BobbyLayne but I’m sorry. 

Saying something is false that also may inflame a certain political side isn’t ‘political.’  It’s responsible. And it should be allowed here. 
The other side of the coin:

Despite scant evidence, the F.D.A. granted approval to use two malaria drugs. 

The Food and Drug Administration granted emergency approval this weekend permitting the use of two long-used malaria drugs to treat patients who are hospitalized with coronavirus, despite scant evidence that the drugs would be effective against the virus.

The decision allows companies to donate supplies of two related drugs — hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine — to the Strategic National Stockpile. The drugs will then be distributed to hospitals for use in patients who have coronavirus. The generic drug maker Sandoz, a division of Novartis, donated 30 million pills of hydroxychloroquine and Bayer donated one million doses of chloroquine. Other companies are ramping up their production of the drugs and may donate more supplies, the federal government said.

Teva has also said it is donating six million pills of hydroxychloroquine to be used in U.S. hospitals.

Mr. Trump has frequently touted the use of the drugs, describing them as a potential “game changer” in the pandemic, although there is only anecdotal evidence that they are effective. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and other experts, have been far more cautious in saying that evidence is still needed to know if they work.

However, since there are no treatments for the virus, many hospitals are already using the drugs on severely ill patients. The drugs have been on the market for decades and one, hydroxychloroquine, is also used for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

The decision by the F.D.A., issued on Saturday but announced by the Department of Health and Human Services on Sunday, will allow hospitals to use the drugs on patients when enrolling them in clinical trials is not possible. Doctors must report on how they were used, including documenting any harmful side effects. Patients and doctors will also receive a fact sheet explaining that the drug’s efficacy in treating coronavirus is not known.

By restricting hospital use of the drugs to those taken from the national stockpile, the move also eases pressure on the rest of the supply chain. Both drugs have recently gone into shortage, making it difficult for patients who rely on them for other conditions to get access.

Anyone from Louisiana know how well the testing is going?  Their mortality rate is sky-high so I'm assuming they aren't testing all that well.  
Sorry if Honda, been catching up on the thread today.

Found a website (https://covidtracking.com/) that offered this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/e/2PACX-1vRwAqp96T9sYYq2-i7Tj0pvTf6XVHjDSMIKBdZHXiCGGdNC0ypEU9NbngS8mxea55JuCFuua1MUeOj5/pubhtml#

I'm verifying it against state Dept of Health websites right now, all the while working on a doc to answer these types of questions.

Virginia Governor orders a stay at home until June 10th :eek:  
bad move. 

we should all know june is a write off, but you gotta give false hope and go 2 weeks at a time. ppl lose their minds w stuff like this
I disagree. You can't keep pulling away the football and expect people to react like Charlie Brown. The models show that this isn't going to be anywhere near over by April 30th. But if you make April 30th the deadline, a bunch of jackasses are going to make cruise reservations for May 1st and won't change them when the deadline gets pushed again. Giving a realistic timeline will help get people in the right mindset for the actual crisis we are facing.

Per a VASA webcast this AM comprising 80% Nephrologists/Surgeons/Cardiologists from around the world, hosted by Dr. Peden, Houston Methodist:

57% of docs have experienced PPE shortage.

63% have or expect to conduct non specialty care.

Several states limiting procedures to tier 3a/3b.

Doctors repeatedly stressed the need for response to be LOCAL.  Some counties and cities obviously taking a larger brunt than others.

Lots of other dialysis specific information, fantastic conversation. @krista4

I assume this site has been shared here.

Shows many states have effectively flattened the curve (a few havent).  This achieves a surplus of beds, etc - but extends the duration of pandemic.

@Terminalxylem - this also explains and verifies the local community's confidence (or your words "taking it lightly") in being able to handle what comes their way.  Local optimization of facilities has also already been brokered.  Ie University Hospital is gearing their entire capacity to handle the peak COVID (early May).  This should allow other facilities to continue on as normal and relieve the backlog of procedures and treatments.  Easy peasy when you have a competent response.

I assume this site has been shared here.

Shows many states have effectively flattened the curve (a few havent).  This achieves a surplus of beds, etc - but extends the duration of pandemic.

@Terminalxylem - this also explains and verifies the local community's confidence (or your words "taking it lightly") in being able to handle what comes their way.  Local optimization of facilities has also already been brokered.  Ie University Hospital is gearing their entire capacity to handle the peak COVID (early May).  This should allow other facilities to continue on as normal and relieve the backlog of procedures and treatments.  Easy peasy when you have a competent response.
That seems to be the Fed's model of choice but as others have pointed it it may be overly optimistic in assuming extreme Chinese style lockdowns and tracing. I'm not sure of those assumptions though.

Users who are viewing this thread