What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

The issue all along with this virus is that a large % need hospital level care at some point, and there aren't enough beds or doctors or nurses to tend to that volume of patients simultaneously.  That's what needs preparation, and I'm assuming that all hospitals are preparing as should all emergency services.
IIRC what they can do at hspitals is symptom (and side issue/complication) treatment, right? Also IIRC symptom treatment is (mostly) lower the body temp and keep you hydrated, right?

Not advcating buying IV and saline, but I believe you can get isotonic powders ready to mix with boiled water for the hydration and for the lowering of bodytemp, it'smostly påaracetamol and similar (what normal people can get)? Thse two items may be interesting to add to a prep list if hospitals are overwhelmed with side/complication cases

Tecumseh said:
Have a trip to Rome scheduled for first week of April. Completely non-refundable. So screwwweeeed.
So I just checked Delta's website. If I'm reading it correctly, IF Rome is put on their travel advisory list, it looks like we can reschedule without a change fee for up to 1 year. Would just have to pay the difference in the cost of the tickets, which is fine with me. Italian destinations currently on the list are Bologna, Milan, Turin and Venice.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/other-alerts/coronavirus-situation-in-italy

Last edited by a moderator:
Tecumseh said:
Have a trip to Rome scheduled for first week of April. Completely non-refundable. So screwwweeeed.
I'm going to Rome april 7.    :hifive:

I'm on Delta. Pretty sure I can cancel and have it be a credit for future use.  

I wouldn't advocate buying a solar panel if it wasn't so cheap.  It can be thought of as a toy that you use 2-4 times a year while camping or charging phones/fan while having a picnic.  It'd even be fun for kids to use in the backyard to power a boombox or fan.  Kids will definitely want to use it as a novelty.  As a bonus, if the zombie apocalypse happens, your deep freezer will stay frozen.
The normal guidelines for freezing (USDA/FDA?, not sure which organ) is that the temp of the meat should be kept below 10 F

Wow. From the NYTimes:

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan asked all of the country’s schools to close for a month to help contain the spread of the coronavirus. Here are the latest developments.

Bulletin from the horse game:

> Japanese racing authorities will bar spectators from meetings immediately in measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

In addition, there will be no sale of betting tickets or payout of winning tickets on race days or payout on weekdays at all JRA racecourses and off-track betting facilities with all transactions to be conducted via telephone or internet betting.

The Japanese initiative comes after the region’s other racing powerhouse, Hong Kong, has barred all but owners and participants from attending the races.

Korea has shut down racing altogether at the Seoul, Busan and Jeju Racecourses until after March 8 when the situation will be reviewed.

As of Thursday, there are over 81,300 people diagnosed with COVID-19 worldwide and 2770 recorded deaths. <

Travel insurance sounds similar to extended warranties on vehicles. 
My parents had to cancel a trip a few months ago due to my grandma needing surgery.  They had to fill out a packet of papers, obtain all of her medical records and get signatures from all of her doctors to verify the claim.

My parents had to cancel a trip a few months ago due to my grandma needing surgery.  They had to fill out a packet of papers, obtain all of her medical records and get signatures from all of her doctors to verify the claim.
Sounds like they had to file a claim with an insurance company. 

If water really becomes a problem, we are at mad max level and Icon is going to need to start reloading ammo.
:goodposting: Water isn't one of the things I'm worried about.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?
South Korea is militant about this kind of stuff and the public does what they are told. Messaged with me friend on base just outside of Seoul last night, base is screening everyone coming and going at gates, restricting travel off post, shut down schools/church services/social gatherings last week and went virtual.

Wow. From the NYTimes:

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan asked all of the country’s schools to close for a month to help contain the spread of the coronavirus. Here are the latest developments.
Smart move, can't see Olympics happening given the current backdrop. We may have weathered the worst of the storm by may/June but I don't think we'll be anywhere near declaring victory of this thing by then. You should be preparing for this in the States as well, virtual school should be one of the first things done if this starts to pop up in communities.

There are going to be some fabulous bargains out there.  Getz, I’ve heard great things about Viking river cruises.  Hope you’ll go and have a fabulous time!
Thanks GB. I bought my sons luggage for Christmas with the promise of their first vacation if they kept their noses straight in school. You're aware of the issues with my oldest and his struggles with Autism.   He will have a 4.0, at least, this quarter and 3.9+ for the year. The youngest started middle school and struggled a bit at first which is new to him.  Everything has always been easy for him plus puberty is a million times worse than the Coronavirus.  Plus girls have taken notice of him which is a whole new set of problems.  Kid acts like he's 20.  Anyhow, he's righted the ship and will be close to a 4.0 too. Of course half of his classes are HS level so the GPA is a little misleading. 

So now I have to make good on my promise. They've never seen the ocean before or have even been in a plane.  

My best to you, hope you are doing well. 

If kids don't die of this what is the point of closing schools?  It just becomes a cross contamination point?  If that is the case can you really re-open until a vax is ready?

Why can't we wall off the old people rather than the young?

Wow. From the NYTimes:

I made a joke about a part of Japanese culture but have thought better of it 

If kids don't die of this what is the point of closing schools?  It just becomes a cross contamination point?  If that is the case can you really re-open until a vax is ready?

Containment. Daycares and schools are the worst when it comes to outbreaks. My kids would have escaped 90 percent of their routine illnesses had they been home schooled. 

Then you have grandparents getting sick when their sickly little grandchildren come to visit.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Kids spread #### like crazy.  Every cold I have gotten in last decade is from my kids. 

Maybe they can't get it but they can carry it?

Cmon man...

Kids spread #### like crazy.  Every cold I have gotten in last decade is from my kids. 
Though I agree on the kid thing, adults are just as bad in the workplace. This Monday, sitting at my desk at work, and a woman I know comes over to talk to the guy next to me. I hear her say "I went to the Minute Clinic Friday after work and tested positive for the flu. They gave me Tamiflu and I felt GREAT the next morning!". Not even putting one ounce of thought into those around her and that she's ####### contagious. 

So yeah, kids spread by accident, but adults spread due to selfishness and stupidity.

Just learned that my sister is in self quarantine. Her closest co-worker was skiing in the region hit the hardest in Italy and he was just sent home from work by doctor's orders. He has the sniffles but no fever (and they won't test him until he does). So my sister's school is without principal and vice principal for the next two weeks or until he gets a fever and gets tested

Containment. Daycares and schools are the worst when it comes to outbreaks. My kids would have escaped 90 percent of their routine illnesses had they been home schooled. 

Then you have grandparents getting sick when their sickly little grandchildren come to visit.
A to the MEN.  It seemed like I had a cold for about a decade until all of my kids were a  little older.

Just learned that my sister is in self quarantine. Her closest co-worker was skiing in the region hit the hardest in Italy and he was just sent home from work by doctor's orders. He has the sniffles but no fever (and they won't test him until he does). So my sister's school is without principal and vice principal for the next two weeks or until he gets a fever and gets tested
So begins the disruption to daily lives.

So yeah, kids spread by accident, but adults spread due to selfishness and stupidity.
Kids are in closer contact than adults typically.  Also, hygeine is worse among kids, wiping noses, rubbing eyes, coughing without covering mouths, sneezing openly.  Sure, adults are bad at many of those things too, but on the whole are much better about it than kids.  

Many adults also have poor sick leave and almost have to show up to work sick.  Again, many folks do show up sick even when they don't have to, and many can be inconsiderate, but a significant portion of that time it's due to a lack of options, whether sick leave, money for doctors, etc.  d

Ok. Lock the kids at home. 

How long? What's the end point?   As soon as you start kicking kids out of school the economy collapses.  Parents have to stay home.  

The calculation of risk needs to be on point here. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/20/807483553/coronavirus-is-contagious-but-kids-seem-less-vulnerable-so-far

As the case count of coronavirus infections continues to rise in China, the number of reported infections among children is remarkably low.

"We're seeing [about] 75,000 total cases at this point, but the literature is only reporting about 100 or so pediatric cases," says Terri Lynn Stillwell, a pediatric infectious disease expert at Mott Children's Hospital at the University of Michigan.

It's possible that many more kids are infected but don't get sick enough to seek medical treatment. It's also possible that some infected children may develop no symptoms at all.

Two Italian pfo golfers forced by Euro Tour to quarantine and withdraw from Oman Open.

Oh and I'm supposed to volunteer at The Players in a few weeks and work the Admissions gate.
And now they've been reinstated and cleared 

@GolfDigest: Two European Tour players who were forced to withdraw from the Omen Open due to fears that they contracted coronavirus have been cleared and reinstated in the field: http://ow.ly/3YDw50yx2ZZ https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1233029118771507200/photo/1

Where is this?

Kids are in closer contact than adults typically.  Also, hygeine is worse among kids, wiping noses, rubbing eyes, coughing without covering mouths, sneezing openly.  Sure, adults are bad at many of those things too, but on the whole are much better about it than kids
total fail when applied to NYC public transportation- closer proximity than kids, and the most egregious lack of hygiene - not to mention sneezing/coughing into the open air, then rubbing eyes or noses and touching surfaces.

it's a right ####in' mess.  

Ok. Lock the kids at home. 

How long? What's the end point?   As soon as you start kicking kids out of school the economy collapses.  Parents have to stay home.  

The calculation of risk needs to be on point here. 
So YOU are the guy worried about his portfolio! jvdesigndude was right!!!!

Seriously, you have to weigh the cost of not doing. Economy is going to take a hit regardless. Ours is not a strong economy right now, it looks good on paper but it's a house of cards and this is going to hit hard. Coupled with the shutdown you are seeing from China and the ripple effects from that. We have to understand this is going to be a new normal for a while until a vaccine is developed. Working from home is going to be a new norm for a lot of communities if some of the spread numbers are even close to true. The economy has to be focused on fighting this thing to have a real chance at getting ahead of it.

Users who are viewing this thread