What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Kid is in an acting theater. Production was cancelled and ticketing company went under and isn’t issuing refunds. We don’t really care, but theater company is now deciding whether it’s worthwhile to hire a lawyer for $3k to chase down $5k in ticket sales.

Multiply times tens of thousands. Legal fallout will be an ugly mess across the board coming out of this for sure. 
As my dad used to say when threatened with a lawsuit, "you can't get blood out of a turnip."

Just got notice that a small Appalachia county in the northwest corner of NC has banned vacation rentals and any owners coming to their property are required to quarantine for 14 days.  Basically they are saying stay the heck away from us.

I saw an article on LinkedIn just now that detailed companies that are hiring right now in case anyone needs work quick. Here was the quick list if you aren't on LinkedIn.

Instacart says it’s looking to hire 300,000 contract workers over the next three months.

Walmart announced that it will hire 150,000 workers for its distribution and fulfillment centers.

Amazon says it’s looking to hire 100,000 new workers for its fulfillment centers and delivery network.

CVS Health is hiring 50,000 employees to serve in various capacities across its business.

Dollar General says it's looking to add 50,000 employees by the end of April.

Pizza Hut is hiring 30,000 permanent employees to serve as drivers, shift leaders, cooks and managers.

Lowe’s is hiring 30,000 employees to meet the demand created by the coronavirus.

Dollar Tree, which is also the parent company of Family Dollar, is hiring 25,000 workers for its stores and distribution centers.

Walgreens is hiring 25,000 employees for permanent and temporary roles.

7-Eleven is hiring up to 20,000 employees due to increased demand.

Kroger is looking to hire an additional 20,000 workers across the U.S.

Domino’s is hiring up to 10,000 employees across the country for various roles inside the company.

PepsiCo says it plans to hire 6,000 employees over the coming months.

Outschool is looking to hire 5,000 teachers to start offering online classes.

Publix Super Markets is hiring "thousands" of workers to meet increased demand.

Safeway is hiring thousands of workers due to the demand created by the virus.

Blue Apron is looking to hire an unknown number of employees in New Jersey and California.

Land O’Lakes is looking to hire an unknown number of workers to meet increased demand.

Am I the only one that is anti-mask? Really don't want to wear one unless forced. 
You're not the only one. 

If it's known to be beneficial for all and we are mandated to wear than I will obviously do my part but only then.  Until I'm told I have to I can't see myself doing it. 

I'll also continue to go for walks and not worry about the "what if someone sneezed there 5 minutes earlier and droplets are still floating around". I'll keep a safe distance from everyone and enjoy the outside world as much as possible.

Are there any grocery stores and such nearby where you could apply just to keep something rolling in during the meantime?
People make it sound like you can just roll up and get a job stocking. In my experience that is not true. I felt like I would be better off filing for unemployment. While unemployment wont be what I regularly make I would at least be able to feed the family and pay some bills. I also feel that unemployment was going to pay more than a stocker. I am also hoping for some relief on mortgage payments. If I had unemployment and relief from mortgage I could probably make it.

When you to the sites for jobs they are no different than they were 2 months ago. Last I checked the grocery stores had no openings for someone like me, despite what I hear from the news and social media.

I saw an article on LinkedIn just now that detailed companies that are hiring right now in case anyone needs work quick. Here was the quick list if you aren't on LinkedIn.

Instacart says it’s looking to hire 300,000 contract workers over the next three months.

Walmart announced that it will hire 150,000 workers for its distribution and fulfillment centers.

Amazon says it’s looking to hire 100,000 new workers for its fulfillment centers and delivery network.

CVS Health is hiring 50,000 employees to serve in various capacities across its business.

Pizza Hut is hiring 30,000 permanent employees to serve as drivers, shift leaders, cooks and managers.

Lowe’s is hiring 30,000 employees to meet the demand created by the coronavirus.

Dollar Tree, which is also the parent company of Family Dollar, is hiring 25,000 workers for its stores and distribution centers.

Domino’s is hiring up to 10,000 employees across the country for various roles inside the company.

Blue Apron is looking to hire an unknown number of employees in New Jersey and California.

Land O’Lakes is looking to hire an unknown number of workers to meet increased demand.
I really, really hope they start them with medical benefits from day one. In fact, that should be a requirement.

Saw a graph this morning showing countries using mask and not using a mask in their lockdowns. It was a significant difference
If that's true, and I'm not saying it isn't then

a) it won't be long before we're all mandated to wear them. At least I would hope it wouldn't be long.

b) I'll wear something when out as required

c) why in the hell were medical professionals so adamant that it wasn't required for this long.  That would be a lot of egg on their faces.

You're not the only one. 

If it's known to be beneficial for all and we are mandated to wear than I will obviously do my part but only then.  Until I'm told I have to I can't see myself doing it. 

I'll also continue to go for walks and not worry about the "what if someone sneezed there 5 minutes earlier and droplets are still floating around". I'll keep a safe distance from everyone and enjoy the outside world as much as possible.
I would wear one if I was sick and had to go out. And yes, I know you can spread it without symptoms. Just don't want to wear one. Also don't really go out. Wife or I hit a store maybe 2-3 times a week so not much exposure.

c) why in the hell were medical professionals so adamant that it wasn't required for this long.  That would be a lot of egg on their faces.
Not a political statement so much as it is fact but...

China told WHO that it wasn't spread person to person and followed that with the declaration that it wasn't airborne spread. Those falsehoods set the entire world way behind.

In the last couple of days I have checked on three of those companies. No openings for grunts, which is what I was looking for. I suppose I could be a manager but I was looking for menial labor to pay bills before I get called back. I am not looking to climb the corporate ladder at Safeway. I will unload trucks or do security all day long.

China told WHO that it wasn't spread person to person and followed that with the declaration that it wasn't airborne spread. Those falsehoods set the entire world way behind.
I do love this logic...we can’t believe the Chinese numbers and statements now, but we’re more than fine rationalizing inaction based of statements then.  At what point did we decide China was untrustworthy.

I'll add that our very own CDC didn't help either by essentially saying masks were useless if you're not sick. We now know that asymptomatic carriers are spreading this. And we also know that it you can be a carrier/spreader long before showing any symptoms.

I do love this logic...we can’t believe the Chinese numbers and statements now, but we’re more than fine rationalizing inaction based of statements then.  At what point did we decide China was untrustworthy.
It completely changes on the basis of whether a particular agenda is served. And with that we may be too political for this forum

How long ago did she apply?

I applied in Az and I have not received any notice of anything. Not even an email. I am just hoping I did it right.
Around March 19. No news until this past Sat she got an email saying she's certified. Confirmed 2 weeks of payment is in her bank. I heard CA has pulled a lot of workers in the dept to work long hours including weekends to get through the million applications. 

Another post from the medical community to feel free to share.  As time passes and we're tempted to go out to get that tool we need for a home improvement or a quick grocery run, just another reminder.

This is going to be pretty fun listening to the next wave of advice coming from medical professionals that revise their mask theories. Hey everybody, remember what we told you before? Well disregard that, listen to us now.

Basically some nations bought into what China was saying and some didn't. But the truth was bound to get out as more countries did their own studies and that's where we're at now.

https://twitter.com/rkhamsi/status/1244674904903090186

Doubt much of this is news to anyone, but good thread here on masks, 'droplets' vs. aerosols, and covid transmission in 'masked' vs. 'non-masked' countries.  Seems like WHO was being incredibly reckless by downplaying airborne transmission.  
We're not there yet (PDF of study cited in ren's Twitter link) -- in both ambient patient-room air and in air sampled in the adjacent hallways, they were finding between 2 and 4 individual copies of viral RNA per liter of air tested (bottom pg 3 - top of pg 4 in PDF). This study is not yet peer-reviewed, and the relative lack of viral load in the ambient air will probably be pointed out by other researchers.

Furthermore, from the same study (mid pg 4):

Air samples that were positive for viral RNA by RT-PCR were examined for viral propagation in Vero E6 cells. Cytopathic effect was not observed in any sample, to date, and immunofluorescence and western blot analysis have not, so far, indicated the presence of viral antigens suggesting viral replication. However, the low concentrations of virus recovered from these samples makes finding infectious virus in these samples difficult. Further experiments are ongoing to determine viral activity in these samples. 
Viral load matters. Picking up small numbers of stray fragments of attenuated or even "broken open" viruses (e.g. protective layer compromised or missing) in the air is no more meaningful than picking up skin mites, dead skin cells, etc. in the air.

Maybe over the top but this is from another board I read:

Use a bleach water ratio with a min of 1000ppm. 
For shopping day, I've setup two tables in the garage for decon. Everything passes thru the bleach water, dunk and scrub when possible and wipe down when not, air dry. It's a bit more involved on certain items but I'm not risking it. Having spent time designing clean rooms and biolab containment facilities I'm a touch more over the top then most probably are. 
At this point going to the grocery store and returning home, going thru my decom process takes most of the morning. It also involves stripping off clothing and showering before handling the groceries for decon. I also no longer use bags, everything is put into cardboard boxes in the trunk. Trunk and trunk lid are also wiped down. I ride my bike to the grocer, wife drives the vehicle and waits, at no point do I enter the vehicle and she does not exit it. Over the top? Maybe... But why take the chance? 

I view the out side world as the hot zone at this point. And then work thru what protocols are needed to enter and exit said hot zone. Some areas are hotter then others.

And then he answers a question about why boxes and no bags:

Boxes are in the trunk, no bags in store. Used to take bags with, then lots of handling etc.. now items go from cart to register to cart. From cart to boxes in trunk. The boxes at that point can be left outside for a week or disposed of, I have a bazillion boxes due to shipping and receiving of parts etc... From the business end. For once the stockpile of boxes are useful. 
Also by not having bags, I don't have to wait for yet another person to bag, I simply place the items back into the cart.

If you use your own bags, washable is preferred if not then either throw away or wipe down and let dry. It's a time consuming process no matter what, sucks but it's where we are these days unfortunately.

This is going to be pretty fun listening to the next wave of advice coming from medical professionals that revise their mask theories. Hey everybody, remember what we told you before? Well disregard that, listen to us now.
It's obvious to me that the CDC is/was only saying masks are not necessary because they didn't want a run on masks. If supply was not an issue, they would have said wear a mask from day 1. 

Yeah, it's time for a well explained reason for the reversal. Even if it's excuses about falling for falsehoods, at least tell people why with greater info now at hand, we're encouraging the use of masks. What I'm seeing today from the surgeon general is a ridiculous mix of "use masks if you want but we're afraid people will have a false sense of security" so we're not making a concerted push for their use. Just skip ahead to the inevitable announcement that everyone should wear them in public.

Last edited by a moderator:

People make it sound like you can just roll up and get a job stocking. In my experience that is not true. I felt like I would be better off filing for unemployment. While unemployment wont be what I regularly make I would at least be able to feed the family and pay some bills. I also feel that unemployment was going to pay more than a stocker. I am also hoping for some relief on mortgage payments. If I had unemployment and relief from mortgage I could probably make it.

When you to the sites for jobs they are no different than they were 2 months ago. Last I checked the grocery stores had no openings for someone like me, despite what I hear from the news and social media.
Yeah gotta imagine unemployment pays more than most of those right now

Yeah, it's time for a well explained reason for the reversal. Even if it's excuses about falling for falsehoods, at least tell people why with greater info now at hand, we're encouraging the use of masks. What I'm seeing today from the surgeon general is a ridiculous mix of "use masks if you want but we're afraid people will have a false sense of security" so we're not making a concerted push for their use. Just skip ahead to the inevitable announcement that everyone should wear them in public.
The surgeon general is not somebody that should be listened to on this issue. When he made his obnoxious tweets supply was already decimated. I have no idea what he was thinking. His dumb statements about masks being more dangerous, etc all were just so out of left field and you cant even make the argument that he was trying to prevent a run on masks. There was no run to be had by then. They were already long gone.

Was cleaning out a mailbox I don't use.  This was from 3/22 and I thought this was pretty cool, actually.  I of course have no way to verify they did this across the country, other than going there and viewing (which I'm not going to do).

Dear Harbor Freight Community,

As we’ve been following the news over the last few days, we’ve heard about the severe shortage of protective gear for hospitals, healthcare workers and first responders as the impact of COVID-19 is being felt across the country. America depends on these heroes every day and in the days ahead we will depend on them even more. At Harbor Freight, we want them to know that they can depend on us too.

So we’ve decided to donate our entire supply of the personal protective equipment items listed below to front line hospitals with 24 hour emergency rooms in the communities served by our stores.

•  N95 Masks
           •  Face Shields
           •  5 and 7 mil Nitrile Gloves

Thank you and God Bless,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools

It will.  You're better off sitting tight for now.

I don't believe you do.  Also don't believe you'll qualify with the $600 kicker added in.
The tricky part right now is no 600 yet. So would you get it until the 600 kicks in? Especially if the 600 isn't retroactively paid? So much is unclear. I'd say apply now since the 600 isn't added in yet and see what happens.

I don’t think any country realized that the WHO was simply parroting China until the virus had already spread globally.
China and the WHO have not been flawless, but the WHO's info is 1,000% better than the CDC and they've been sounding the warning for 2 months.

China has successfully fought off the virus to the point where their economy has re-opened.  China successfully kept the main outbreak to the Hubei province and were praised by the WHO (and rightfully so) for their actions.

The USA, on the other hand, decided not to listen to the warnings from the WHO (who essentially called out the US a few weeks ago).  Now, the US has more than twice the number of total cases than China.  This trend is showing no signs of slowing down.  Oh and the USA doesn't have one hot zone, there are 10-15.  

The tricky part right now is no 600 yet. So would you get it until the 600 kicks in? Especially if the 600 isn't retroactively paid? So much is unclear. I'd say apply now since the 600 isn't added in yet and see what happens.
trying to figure out how to apply. Just getting frustrated and starting to spiral into a hole. I think I am going to stop and take the dog for a walk. I also got another email from work. I guess they changed their mind about covering us for a week. That really frustrates me as I thought I was getting a week of pay to help but they changed their mind. I don't even understand how someone does that.

I try and I am VERY successful at not being envious of others financially. I understand how life works. There will always be those less unfortunate, those that worked hard, those that stepped in #### good and bad, and those like me somewhere in between. Having said that I am pretty upset now with them changing what they told us a week ago. Covering us for a week would not hurt them and it would make a big deal to us.

Right now I am not being as successful as I usually am.

I need to calm the #### down. 🤣

China told WHO that it wasn't spread person to person and followed that with the declaration that it wasn't airborne spread.
What? How early on are you talking? China was quarantining people by mid-January -- they can't enact quarantines and then credibly tell anyone "the spread is not person-to-person."

China and the WHO have not been flawless, but the WHO's info is 1,000% better than the CDC and they've been sounding the warning for 2 months.

China has successfully fought off the virus to the point where their economy has re-opened.  China successfully kept the main outbreak to the Hubei province and were praised by the WHO (and rightfully so) for their actions.

The USA, on the other hand, decided not to listen to the WHO warnings and now has more than twice the number of total cases than China ever did and is showing zero signs of slowing down.  Oh and the USA doesn't have one hot zone, they have 10-15.  
China hid the virus, destroyed samples, jailed doctors that spoke out, and scrubbed information up until the virus had already spread out of the country.  You are free to lavish them with praise, but I certainly will not.  Their selfishness caused all of this.

The WHO claimed there was no evidence of person-to-person transmission in mid-January and failed to announce a pandemic until March. The day before we declared a national emergency.  If anything, we put way too much credence in the WHO.

What? How early on are you talking? China was quarantining people by mid-January -- they can't enact quarantines and then credibly tell anyone "the spread is not person-to-person."
Yet they did, and the WHO followed.  On January  14th.

"Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus(2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China,"

Just got notice that a small Appalachia county in the northwest corner of NC has banned vacation rentals and any owners coming to their property are required to quarantine for 14 days.  Basically they are saying stay the heck away from us.
Those small areas don’t have anywhere close to enough resources to treat their own folks if they get hit. Folks traveling to their vacation homes (and potentially bringing the virus with them) will just overwhelm the local health systems and put EVERYONE at risk, both locals and those hiding out. I think lots of smaller or more remote vacation areas are going down this same path.

China hid the virus, destroyed samples, jailed doctors that spoke out, and scrubbed information up until the virus had already spread out of the country.  You are free to lavish them with praise, but I certainly am not.  Their selfishness caused all of  this.

The WHO claimed there was no evidence of person-to-person transmission in mid-January and failed to announce a pandemic until March. The day before we declared a national emergency.  If anything, we put way too much credence into the WHO.
I've never lavished China with praise.  They shut the disease down, however.  Of course along the way I'm sure they did a lot of shady stuff because, it's China.

As for the WHO, here were the recommendations to the entire world 5-6 weeks ago.  Would you like to take a shot at guessing how many of these recommendations the US government immediately adopted?

1. Immediately activate the highest level of national Response Management protocols to ensure the all-of-government and all-of-society approach needed to contain COVID-19 with non-pharmaceutical public health measures;

2. Prioritize active, exhaustive case finding and immediate testing and isolation, painstaking contact tracing and rigorous quarantine of close contacts;

3. Fully educate the general public on the seriousness of COVID-19 and their role in preventing its spread;

4. Immediately expand surveillance to detect COVID-19 transmission chains, by testing all patients with atypical pneumonias, conducting screening in some patients with upper respiratory illnesses and/or recent COVID-19 exposure, and adding testing for the COVID-19 virus to existing surveillance systems (e.g. systems for influenza-like-illness and SARI); and 22

5. Conduct multi-sector scenario planning and simulations for the deployment of even more stringent measures to interrupt transmission chains as needed (e.g. the suspension of large-scale gatherings and the closure of schools and workplaces).

Maybe over the top but this is from another board I read: (using bleach water on groceries, eschewing grocery bags, etc.)
I do think dunking groceries in bleach water is over the top ... but I do like a lot the idea of skipping the grocery bags and just dumping groceries back into the cart, and then into your own boxes in your car. For those wiping down groceries, futzing around with the cheap plastic grocery bags is a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread