What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Would be a double whammy if the rest of the country is opening up and trying to come down there when it was still elevated in FL.  Was hoping to visit my aunt down in Jax for a bit this summer too.
The real double whammy would be if  the folks that have come down to FL wait about 3 weeks, when NY / NJ is starting to recover,  and decide to go back and are unknowing carriers. 

The shoe might be in the other foot in mid to late April where NY wants to secure its border from folks from FL.

Not suggesting we go back to mosh pits. We have to manage the curve as we work towards a vaccine and herd immunity. What I put forward would do that. Rigorous testing, plus immediate isolation, plus permanent quarantine of only high risk, plus contact tracing. That’s the answer. We should do it. Rest of us reintegrate, until we test positive and quarantine our contacts and slowly we manage a trajectory to normalcy. 
You can’t do contact tracing and have it be effective until you get down to a small number of new cases per day.   We will see if we can get there again....

I feel like I'm the only person left in the country who's not worried.  The more numbers come out the less scary this is if you're up to about 50 years old without underlying conditions.  I've been under lockdown for a couple weeks now and it just got extended another month.  And I'll follow the law.  Plus I'll keep the 6 foot distance because I know a lot of other people are scared.  But no worry whatsoever about contracting it.  I hate being stuck inside all the time, I wish I was allowed to go deep in the woods and camp for a weekend with my dog.  That's not likely to spread anything if I'm a carrier.  And it would really help my state of mind.

You're the one making this political. I don't read or visit "right wing sites" so throwing around that notion to the people sharing timelines about why masks weren't recommended earlier is "political" and "right wing" is an irresponsible misrepresentation of what's going on here.

People want to know - what went wrong? Why are we seemingly so late to come to the realization that masks could be useful in preventing the spread? People are giving them factual answers by providing the known sequence of events. That's not political until people like you take it as an attack on China. I'm not going to share facts and have you sit here and try to have it quieted because you deem it political. You yourself have spent countless posts trying to shift the focus of blame on the CDC, US officials, and the current administration. And now suddenly you're going to tell us all it's a political discussion and needs to stop. Get over yourself.

When the facts stop supporting your narrative - shut down the sharing of facts.
Both of you, and everyone else, please don't take this political. We have a whole forum for that where people ruin threads with "I didn't do that, YOU did that". Take 100% of that type of talk there please. 

I feel like I'm the only person left in the country who's not worried.  The more numbers come out the less scary this is if you're up to about 50 years old without underlying conditions.  I've been under lockdown for a couple weeks now and it just got extended another month.  And I'll follow the law.  Plus I'll keep the 6 foot distance because I know a lot of other people are scared.  But no worry whatsoever about contracting it.  I hate being stuck inside all the time, I wish I was allowed to go deep in the woods and camp for a weekend with my dog.  That's not likely to spread anything if I'm a carrier.  And it would really help my state of mind.
I'd estimate that about 90% of my worries aren't about me, but about others. I'm more worried about my wife & kids, and older family members and friends. If I were a single guy living in a less affected area (I'm in NJ, a few miles from NYC), I'm sure I'd be less concerned about this awful situation overall. YMMV. 

Country living has never been more appealing. Imagine the exodus from cities the next time this happens and there will be a next time. Covid-19,  reason #143 to not live in a city.

Really?  Everything that has come out is actually worse for people 20-50 than what people previously were saying/thinking. The last thing I want as a 41yr old father is to end up in a crowded hospital alone with a tube cut into my throat. 

I’m a little confused as to why there’s a bit of “we can’t do that, it’s too big a task” blowback to idea of national testing and contact tracing as a means of defense.  Possibly just virus fatigue setting in and clouding judgement, which is understandable.

My understanding is that a second wave is all but guaranteed for fall/winter.  We will have weathered this current storm at great cost and recovery will be slow.  The only way I see returning to anything resembling business as usual is to implement a strategy of national testing coupled with a vigorous system charged with contact tracing and localized quarantines when positives pop up.  I don’t know the cost, but the testing portion can’t be any more than the stimulus package the citizens are getting now (and less than having to keep doing these stimuli with each wave of national lockdown).  The manpower to produce the tests should be dealt with via the DPA and the task force for tracing/quarantine should be a solid partnership between medical professionals and the national guard.

Of course it’s all a tall task, we’re living in the midst of a true global pandemic against a new virus.  Nothing is easy now. But this is still America and snapshots of her greatness are seen every day as we fight this, all we gotta do is unleash it and it’s fullest and victory will be ours.

Really?  Everything that has come out is actually worse for people 20-50 than what people previously were saying/thinking. The last thing I want as a 41yr old father is to end up in a crowded hospital alone with a tube cut into my throat. 
25-50 is bad with underlying conditions. I just read an article that 94% of hospitalizations have preexisting heart/lung or diabetes.  If you don't have those even as an older person you're unlikely to need to go to the hospital (it could be unpleasant without hospitalization sure)'.  Add in 20-25% asymptomatic and I'm not nervous personally.  It reacts differently than you'd expect so it could kill me but unlikely.  I just miss the freedom to go outside when I want.  And I hope we see it again in 2020, I am very nervous we will be locked down the entire year in Denver since we're reacting early and fast and keep extending the date past the rest of the state.

SC is kinda pissing me off. Came out with the “all non-essential businesses shut down” yesterday. They are piecemealing a statewide shutdown and for what? Shut the place down already. They basically told hair dressers and the rub & tug gang to shut it down yesterday  :rolleyes:   :thumbdown:

I’m a little confused as to why there’s a bit of “we can’t do that, it’s too big a task” blowback to idea of national testing and contact tracing as a means of defense.  Possibly just virus fatigue setting in and clouding judgement, which is understandable.
The "testing" part is straightforward.  I don't think anybody doubts that we can do widespread testing.  (My apologies if I missed a post along those lines -- this thread moves fast, even overnight).  It's the contact tracing part that becomes impossible once the number of cases gets over a certain threshold. 

As of this morning, Johns Hopkins has us with about 190K confirmed cases.  If we were testing more aggressively, we would have far more identified cases than that.  Conservatively, let's say 500K.  There probably aren't enough available/qualified workers in the US to track down everybody that those 500K people interacted with over the past two weeks and to do so quickly.  I'm not an expert and I'd love to be wrong about this, but it just seems to me that contact tracing isn't even logistically possible until this summer when the number of new cases comes way down. 

I do agree that this is a strategy we should utilize in the fall.   

Absolutely.

First of all, behavior is going to change. Some people will, like Cappy said, avoid sporting events and other big crowds. What percentage of people? I don't know, but at least 10%, which will be a significant loss for those venues. 

Second of all, even if the stimulus replaces every dollar everyone lost, that doesn't mean people will return to their spending habits. People are more likely to save for a rainy day now, especially given how few people were doing it before. So even shopping on Amazon, where these is no crowds, is going to take a hit as people buy less and save more. 

There is absolutely no way the economy will be anywhere near what it was before when it is turned back on. Could take years to get back to those levels. Many businesses are going to retract their locations, resulting in a ton of empty commercial space, and more importantly the loss of those jobs that were there. 
You certainly may be right, but I think that human nature/culture  is consumption over savings and most people will be back to normal spending practices, and social practices assuming a vaccine, within a couple of years. I don't think the impact will be as deep as you imply, although I also don't think Wall Street is accounting for the smaller impact that will happen yet. 

You certainly may be right, but I think that human nature/culture  is consumption over savings and most people will be back to normal spending practices, and social practices assuming a vaccine, within a couple of years. I don't think the impact will be as deep as you imply, although I also don't think Wall Street is accounting for the smaller impact that will happen yet. 
I also think if when we get on the other side of this we do widespread testing for antibodies the death rate will be a lot closer to what all the scientific journals are postulating (less than 1%) and people will be a lot less scared.  Especially once we know how long you have immunity.  Experts are pretty confident you have immunity after getting Corona but not sure how long it lasts yet.

25-50 is bad with underlying conditions. I just read an article that 94% of hospitalizations have preexisting heart/lung or diabetes.  If you don't have those even as an older person you're unlikely to need to go to the hospital (it could be unpleasant without hospitalization sure)'.  Add in 20-25% asymptomatic and I'm not nervous personally.  It reacts differently than you'd expect so it could kill me but unlikely.  I just miss the freedom to go outside when I want.  And I hope we see it again in 2020, I am very nervous we will be locked down the entire year in Denver since we're reacting early and fast and keep extending the date past the rest of the state.
To add.  Lots of people in that age range simply don’t go to the Doctor.  So they may actually have an underlying condition and not know it.  

Message boards are like Twitter, it brings out the extremes. I live in a smaller town near the beach, lots of retired people. Everyone here is following the rules, but not worried at all, and mostly staying upbeat. Most just go out and play golf every day, ride their bike, take walks, work on their yards, go to the grocery store once a week, and maybe do take-out food a few times a week.

Everyone is doing the social distancing guidelines, but also getting outside and living life. 

Of course I don't live in NYC or New Orleans, but there are many folks like you, more than you think. They just aren't posting on message boards and twitter.

This seems a bit self-centered.  But at least you're following the law, so that's better than many.

I also think if when we get on the other side of this we do widespread testing for antibodies the death rate will be a lot closer to what all the scientific journals are postulating (less than 1%) and people will be a lot less scared.  Especially once we know how long you have immunity.  Experts are pretty confident you have immunity after getting Corona but not sure how long it lasts yet.
All the scientific journals are not postulating a death rate of less than 1%. 

oh no 😢

Coronavirus financial losses prompt Boston Medical Center to furlough 700 employees, 10% of hospital’s workforce Link
Boston: Beth Israel CEO, two dozen execs take pay cuts Link

Alteon Health, a staffing company backed by private-equity firm Frazier Healthcare Partners, will cut salaries, time off and retirement benefits for providers, citing lost revenue. Several hospital operators announced similar cuts. Link

Intermountain will cut pay for doctors and nurse practitioners amid coronavirus pandemic Link

Already Taxed Health Care Workers Not ‘Immune’ From Layoffs And Less Pay Link
This is going to be happening at most hospitals.  My wife works at a small rural hospital in Ohio and it is hitting them hard.

To add.  Lots of people in that age range simply don’t go to the Doctor.  So they may actually have an underlying condition and not know it.  
Obviously this can and certainly has happened, but most cases i read about this isnt how it has happened. Minor hospitalizations obviously dont make the national media stories though so i have no idea how prevalent it is there. 

I know for certain that isnt how it has happened in italy, but obviously they are different with health care and people are more likely to go to the doctor. 

People need to stop assuming this cannot impact them. I can’t link the table, but this excerpt from a clinical review says it all:

Data from the CDC released on March 17, 2020 shows a disconcerting trend in hospitalization rates in the younger-age demographic. Table 6 shows the latest rates, with an alarming rate of hospitalization of up to 20% in individuals aged 20 to 44 years. 
Every older group has even higher hospitalization rates. Do some of those younger people have comorbidities? Sure. But I’m personally aware of two cases under age 30 in our hospital with no preexisting conditions.

This is going to be happening at most hospitals.  My wife works at a small rural hospital in Ohio and it is hitting them hard.
At hospitals in South Florida, the only public talk about layoffs that I've heard is from the 2100 bed Jackson Health in Miami. Last week, the CEO said there would be layoffs if this continues. Another hospital will be stopping use of ELB (sick leave) and force employees to use PTO. Any employee making less than $25 per hour is probably better off financially collecting unemployeement; that would be MAs, CNAs. Most nurses make alot more than that. Aren't hospitals getting stimulus funds?

Re: what I mean by “rigorous testing...” At peak of production in WWII, GM was turning out a bomber roughly every hour. We saw in Japan and South Korea that new cases were effectively halted because everyone with symptoms was tested, isolated, and contacts were traced. A town in Italy experimented with testing everyone, and found about half the cases were asymptomatic. Months ago, the Federal government should have put private industry, all hands on deck, on producing millions and millions of tests and we should have tested everyone coming into a doctor’s office, clinic, ER, and in drive throughs, for free, everywhere. We were far too late, are still testing too few and don’t have a structured program to do anything once diagnosed. We can’t go back in time, but that testing and follow-on program must happen coming out of our collective shutdown to manage the curve.

John Oliver released a great video yesterday calling out pundits and politicians who are shaming Americans into ignoring their risk to sacrifice for the economy. Without a program like I described, they are flat out condemning people to die by the hundreds of thousands unnecessarily. 

It is reasonable given the profile of this disease to expect a middle ground, and for much of the population to assume risk for the greater good. But doing so without a plan to manage the curve, including RIGOROUS testing — tens of millions of them, and a wartime effort to trace, isolate, and quarantine in individual isolation—is blatantly ignorant of science and callous to those who will suffocate.
I have my doubts that we would ever be able to pull this off.  Country is too large and people are too stubborn to be able to test everyone in a short period.

Data from the CDC released on March 17, 2020 shows a disconcerting trend in hospitalization rates in the younger-age demographic. Table 6 shows the latest rates, with an alarming rate of hospitalization of up to 20% in individuals aged 20 to 44 years. 
This data can be downloaded and read here for anybody that wants it. Table 6 is on page 22

John Oliver released a great video yesterday calling out pundits and politicians who are shaming Americans into ignoring their risk to sacrifice for the economy. Without a program like I described, they are flat out condemning people to die by the hundreds of thousands unnecessarily. 
Exactly.  This should have been easy. 

It was our generation's moon shot.  Its "Ask not what your country can do for you..."  Its WPA, War Bonds and ration coupons.  Where we all come together, help each other, and work towards a common goal for the good of everyone.  And it would have been cheaper and saved more lives than what we actually did.

Instead, we have people arguing the US can't do contact tracing.  The US, the country that landed on the moon, won WWI and WWII, developed all of the amazing tech that we use 24/7 today, and has the greatest wealth of any nation in history, can't do contact tracing.

It's amazing what we've become.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh no 😢

Coronavirus financial losses prompt Boston Medical Center to furlough 700 employees, 10% of hospital’s workforce Link
I wonder if these are actual RNs and MDs getting furloughed?

I ask because my close relative that does administrative duties for a large, local medical center's elective surgery office ... this relative was originally planned to be shifted over to the main hospital's triage area to take down info from incoming sick patients. Now this relative thinks a furlough is coming. Office scuttlebutt and no one is sure what's up.

IOW -- anyone getting furloughed sucks out loud. But they are not furloughing actual front-line medical staff, right? IOW2 - the wording of these articles might be meant to shock as much as inform.

Instead, we have people arguing the US can't do contact tracing.  The US, the country that landed on the moon, won WWI and WWII, developed all of the amazing tech that we use 24/7 today, and has the greatest wealth of any nation in history, can't do contact tracing.
Contract tracing is nothing like WWII or the moon landing.  

In what capacity?

The medical center I referred to above is in the center of a hotspot (see my avatar). And even they have internal rumors of furloughing non-caregiving employees.

oh no 😢

Boston: Beth Israel CEO, two dozen execs take pay cuts Link

Alteon Health, a staffing company backed by private-equity firm Frazier Healthcare Partners, will cut salaries, time off and retirement benefits for providers, citing lost revenue. Several hospital operators announced similar cuts. Link

Intermountain will cut pay for doctors and nurse practitioners amid coronavirus pandemic Link

Already Taxed Health Care Workers Not ‘Immune’ From Layoffs And Less Pay Link
My son does medical coding in Southern NH. Usually it's a struggle to keep up. Now the coders are being asked to reduce their hours by 20%. A lot fewer office visits, more tele-visits. Mostly he supports cardiologists and their patients are typically high risk, so it makes sense that they would reduce the office visits wherever possible.

Not aware of any layoffs yet.

SC is kinda pissing me off. Came out with the “all non-essential businesses shut down” yesterday. They are piecemealing a statewide shutdown and for what? Shut the place down already. They basically told hair dressers and the rub & tug gang to shut it down yesterday  :rolleyes:   :thumbdown:
I agree.  The list didn't even include work out facilities, it just says "places with shared equipment".  I have already seen places get around this by saying they clean the equipment between users.

I wonder if these are actual RNs and MDs getting furloughed?

I ask because my close relative that does administrative duties for a large, local medical center's elective surgery office ... this relative was originally planned to be shifted over to the main hospital's triage area to take down info from incoming sick patients. Now this relative thinks a furlough is coming. Office scuttlebutt and no one is sure what's up.

IOW -- anyone getting furloughed sucks out loud. But they are not furloughing actual front-line medical staff, right? IOW2 - the wording of these articles might be meant to shock as much as inform.
That’s what happened around here. The elective surgical units and specialists got furloughed or laid off. From what I can tell it’s “mostly” support staff, but in some cases maybe even the doctors. No offense to any of these awesome doctors, but you’d probably rather have a med student and certainly any type of RN than someone like a urologist or plastic surgeon helping you through COVID.

Any idea how effective those trucks/workers did overseas with their massive spraying?  Granted, few people on most of our streets now but curious if that helped at all and if so, why we aren't doing it.

Any idea how effective those trucks/workers did overseas with their massive spraying?  Granted, few people on most of our streets now but curious if that helped at all and if so, why we aren't doing it.
Not exactly a measurable outcome. Singapore has been pretty thorough with disinfecting and they have done well, but they have done well with lots of things, so hard to say how much the cleaning has mattered.

As someone who is deep in snowbird territory of AZ, I can tell you that they are still here. In my area we mainly get people from Washington/Oregon/Idaho/Colorado and they’re not going back yet. In fact, that could end up being a big problem because the model has AZ peaking late April and early May when they will be going back.
Huh.

My dad was just telling me how his whole neighborhood is empty.  All his friends went back.

Your point makes a lot of sense.

Prime benefit of wearing gloves or any kind of mask - keep the wearer from touching their face.  Seems like a good thing these days, but then again I’m just a common sense kind of guy. 
But then you touch the things you touched with your gloves. 

And touch your face.

I wear masks everyday, who told you they keep you from touching your face?

My take on this so not anything more than my experience with it but, bleach kills this stuff (or any of a myriad of FDA approved solutions). It has to create a sheen and has to stay wet for about 10 minutes to be effective so you see these guys walking around fogging everything. That works great for outside or even large areas indoor but what it doesn't do well is interact with people. Think of swimming in a chlorinated pool all day and when you finish up, your eyes are puffy from all the chlorine and you probably have the taste of it in your mouth. Same thing with this stuff. Now imagine doing that everyday for 2-3 months.

It's kinda like that. We tested a misting fan with a bleach solution to 'fog' a warehouse and after about 5 minutes it was all I could take. Can't imagine coming into work after something like that ran all night, would not be an optimal work environment. We are purchasing backpack 'foggers' that do about the same thing (atomizing the solution for better/easier distribution) for indoor decontamination. Won't get them in until late April so don't know how they will work but its the same unit Clean Harbors uses to clean an office when they are called in.

I always thought these efforts done outdoors were more for show or more for out of desperation more than anything that truly put a dent in the virus spread.

Now ... doing this stuff inside of subway/train stations, or in large indoor areas where people congregate ... that seems a lot more useful. One my second-last-day in the office, building management had small crews going through the hallways and spraying down the carpet, walls, bathroom doors, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread