Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Doing stir crazy house cleaning.

Found 2 telephone books so far :lol:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

25 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

Then my sincerest apologies to HT.  I read it as sarcasm.

I also interpreted it the way Doug did but I’m sure HT will clarify

I just saw that Joe Diffie died from COVID.  He was a pretty big country music star in the 90s.  One of my favorites when I was into the Garth Brooks/Alan Jackson/Brooks & Dunn-led boom of the time.  

I'm sure it's not a big deal to most, but it was a time when I was in my teens and connecting with your parents isn't easy.  But my Mom and I connected through country music.

One of Joe Diffie's biggest hits was Prop Me Up Besides the Jukebox When I Die.  Yeah, I know it's hoakie, but I hope someone propped him up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

The local public hospital in Miami, 2000+ bed Jackson Health System, is reporting the number of COVID-19 cases, because the public wants more information. They now have 54 inpatient cases, 11 more than yesterday, but still not at crisis level. One of their ICU nurses, a 30+ year veteran, died with COVID-19 on Thursday; her brother said "she contracted the virus while treating patients who were sick."

https://twitter.com/conarck/status/1244347859564191747

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade/jackson-memorial-hospital-nurse-dies-from-coronavirus/

Edited by SoBeDad
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

I saw one small company making covers for the n95 masks. They can just toss the cover. If it works, good idea.

Why not use the cover instead of the mask?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Hi. We're the human race and we are stupid.

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

You should have seen the packed churches in NOLA and...Florida were today.

Edited by Tony Jabroni

A lot of people, both here and IRL, ask about re-infection risks of COVID-19. The author below, Peter Kolchinsky, Ph.D., has doctorate in Virology from Harvard University and is an investment-firm founder/director (RA Capital Management in Boston). His first book, The Great American Drug Deal, came out earlier this year shortly before COVID-19 started spreading worldwide.

I don't do much Twitter, but I feel like a lot of people in this thread might like following this guy because he straddles both the hard science and the financial-analysis sides.

Anyway, about COVID reinfection (nine tweets combined) :

Peter Kolchinsky
@PeterKolchinsky

If you are hearing about #covid19 “reinfections” in Asia, I can offer you my take as a virologist. The best explanation for what we’re seeing is likely due to three things...

1) The patients have likely indeed recovered from their covid infection and are on their way to clearing the virus as their immune system hunts down every infected cell and stray virion. But there are still lingering bits and pieces of the virus around.

2) these tests can be very sensitive at detecting viral genetic material, even it’s just a non-infectious byproduct of the immune system conquering the virus.

3) but it’s also sometimes the case that the test yields a false negative result; maybe the swab didn’t pick up enough material or was mishandled, so the next retest turning up positive could be catching the original infection, not a new one.

Any responsible coverage of these “reinfection” rumors makes the point that we should not assume that these recovered patients actually were reinfected again or even that the low levels of viral material detected means they are infectious to others.

For example, NPR writes “It is unclear whether they are infectious and why they tested positive after their earlier negative test.”

The main reason I’m skeptical that patients were actually reinfected so soon after recovering is due to what we know of the virus and recovery. Patients who beat their infection (and ~98-99% do), do so because their immune systems rev up enough to beat it.

That’s how immunity works. Immunity can fade, but not on the scale on weeks that these reports suggest.  Maybe after a year. So for now, these reports of “reinfections” are likely just an artifact of imperfect testing.

Covid-19 is a shock to all of us, but that doesn’t mean that it’s likely behaving radically differently from what we know of other viruses, even other coronaviruses. Odds are high there will be a simpler explanation soon if it’s not out there already (please send if you see one).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Tony Jabroni said:

You should have seen the packed churchs in NOLA and...Florida were today.

In an alternate universe, those people still gathering in churches and at parties will only affect their own health.

The won't affect the health of of doctors and nurses, they won't infect other people, and they won't occupy beds that other people who did their best to follow the rules but still caught C19 will need.

Edited by NotSmart

19 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Trader Joe's was just as busy as any normal Sunday. Fred Meyer was maybe 70-80% as busy as a normal weekend (they were 50% or less when I've stopped during the week).  Lots of stores open that must be "essential": GNC Supplements (food I guess?), the Dollar Store (technically they do sell food), auto parts stores (i can see how this could be essential), Sherwin William's and Aqua Quip (I guess they fall into necessary hardware catagory).  Pot store busy.  Tobacco stores open. 

Don't knock the local dollar stores. They've been the only places I've been able to find paper towels over the last two weeks. Also have (some) TP and a good amount of refrigerated groceries, at least around here. It seems like the big club stores get ravaged first, then WalMart/Target, then the major chain groceries, then the "budget" grocery stores (Save-A-Lot, Budget Saver, etc.) ... and then finally, the dollar stores.

The Dollar General a few blocks from my home got their shipment of paper Friday morning ... and still had about 1/4 of it left Saturday afternoon (a little better on paper towels, a little worse on TP).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

I just saw that Joe Diffie died from COVID.  He was a pretty big country music star in the 90s.  One of my favorites when I was into the Garth Brooks/Alan Jackson/Brooks & Dunn-led boom of the time.  

I'm sure it's not a big deal to most, but it was a time when I was in my teens and connecting with your parents isn't easy.  But my Mom and I connected through country music.

One of Joe Diffie's biggest hits was Prop Me Up Besides the Jukebox When I Die.  Yeah, I know it's hoakie, but I hope someone propped him up.

That sucks 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I thought that HT meant "I can't believe so many people were cavalier about handwashing." Didn't read like a dig.

Yes I was shocked in 2020 that hand hygiene needed to be stressed to people but whatever 

“ I got 12 likes “ :lmao:

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

Don't knock the local dollar stores. They've been the only places I've been able to find paper towels over the last two weeks. Also have (some) TP and a good amount of refrigerated groceries, at least around here. It seems like the big club stores get ravaged first, then WalMart/Target, then the major chain groceries, then the "budget" grocery stores (Save-A-Lot, Budget Saver, etc.) ... and then finally, the dollar stores.

The Dollar General a few blocks from my home got their shipment of paper Friday morning ... and still had about 1/4 of it left Saturday afternoon (a little better on paper towels, a little worse on TP).

Oh that reminds me, Freddy's did have TP, one per customer.  First time I've seen it there since the panic started. 

• Like 1

Just now, Apple Jack said:

People still can't find toilet paper? Wtf?

Haven't seen it in a real grocery store since the evening of March 11 (the night the NBA shut down). Looked for it about a half-dozen times even though we had a two-month supply because "who knows?" Once I noticed Dollar General has stock on Fridays & Saturdays and got the 411 from their manager, I don't worry about it so much now.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

People still can't find toilet paper? Wtf?

I guess we need ford & gm to produce that too. Wont be selling any cars for a while.

7 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Yes I was shocked in 2020 that hand hygiene needed to be stressed to people but whatever 

“ I got 12 likes “ :lmao:

Yeah, looks like my first instinct was correct.  Have a nice life.

Ignore

• Thanks 1

Boy NY/NJ is getting slammed hard rn.

6 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

People just don’t get it, beaches packed today. :wall:

Not surprised, but where?

11 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Yep

Wife picked up 2 cabs of diced tomatoes at Dollar General this morning for my chili, Big pack of paper towels for my daughter who struck out on them at Walmart and the grocery store Friday, and ....believe it or not...a box of stick butter and a big jar of minced garlic lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I heard this in a work conference call the other day, so FWIW:

The TP industry depends quite a bit on recycled industrial paper as its raw material source, and the number of businesses shut down around the country has had a large impact on that supply.

So... there may be a second, more legit wave of TP shortage on its way.

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

We got boatloads of walking bug factories pouring across the FL/GA border from the north

Tons of them at the beach, spreading it.

Crazy Fallwell thinking he can just open back up Liberty U.

Yes, this ain't stopping until we get a vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CurlyNight said:

Saying stimulus money will be done within 3 weeks if you have direct deposit

Is this something you have to log in and sign up for? 

1 hour ago, NotSmart said:

In the daily Ohio Governor DeWine press conference on Friday, I thought these two things were notable:

• Dr. Amy Acton revised upwards the modeling estimates of the daily peak number of new cases expected to occur in Ohio from 6,000 to 10,000.
  • Governor DeWine said that modeling estimates for Ohio show a need for 2x to 3x the current hospital capacity at the peak period.  Accordingly, Ohio is planning for 3x, even if that might end up being a high estimate - the emphasis is on having adequate capacity available at the peak, so they will use the 3x estimate instead of the 2x estimate.  He said the planning phase is over, Ohio has created a small amount of additional time with it's Stay at Home initiative (i.e. the curve has been pushed out and flattened to some degree), and is now immediately moving into the building phase to create the 3x hospital capacity.

A note for point one above, a couple of days ago when a reporter was asking about the 6000 cases estimate, he asked what the time frame was for those cases, and was astounded, honestly astounded, when she replied "per day". He had to repeat the answer twice to make sure he was hearing the answer correctly.  To me, it showed that even someone in the media hadn't yet fully grasped the scope of the numbers being discussed.

In other Ohio news..... Thanks, FDA. WTF??!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Trader Joe's was just as busy as any normal Sunday. Fred Meyer was maybe 70-80% as busy as a normal weekend (they were 50% or less when I've stopped during the week).  Lots of stores open that must be "essential": GNC Supplements (food I guess?), the Dollar Store (technically they do sell food), auto parts stores (i can see how this could be essential), Sherwin William's and Aqua Quip (I guess they fall into necessary hardware catagory).  Pot store busy.  Tobacco stores open. 

For sure not as many people out and about compared to last weekend but, I suspect that's because of the weather. Will be interesting to see what the next sunny weekend is like. 

Dollar Stores are the primary grocery store for a lot of people.

Those companies intentionally place their stores where there's a vacuum of larger chain grocery stores.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Duff Man said:

We had two big things against us as far as reacting properly. 
1. Most in North America don’t know much about how bad SARS was because it didn’t impact us here much. The Asian countries had a trial run and were willing and able to react more quickly. 

Really good point...our first rodeo, not theirs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doug B said:

This and independent grocers. I have a store a block away which has never been hit hard on paper products. Or anything else. Pay a few more pennies but I'm grateful I have never had to buy in bulk (NYC apartments would be the worst for those of you with prepper tendencies.)

Meanwhile Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - at the height of panic buying - would have 20-30 feet of empty shelves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

This and independent grocers. I have a store a block away which has never been hit hard on paper products. Or anything else. Pay a few more pennies but I'm grateful I have never had to buy in bulk (NYC apartments would be the worst for those of you with prepper tendencies.)

Meanwhile Trader Joe's and Whole Foods - at the height of panic buying - would have 20-30 feet of empty shelves.

At the very height there wasn't any TP anywhere in King County.  Still no sanitizer. Office Max is sleeper store for those too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Governor DeWine held a special 2 PM press conference today due to this issue.

He did not hide his frustration with the FDA, and said that he had called both Trump and the FDA this morning to discuss getting the 10k restriction lifted.

The FDA told DeWine it would be resolved today.

A reporter asked if Ohio would ignore the FDA restriction if it didn't get approval to sterilize the full amount of masks per day... DeWine said he wouldn't get into hypotheticals, but that the need is urgent and this issue must be resolved today... I took that as a Yes.

Switching gears a little. I have a bucket list 2 week family trip to Europe we had booked back before all this started. Late June thru mid July. London, Paris, and Rome. I’ve been thinking I’m going to need to cancel, but the past few days I’ve been thinking that it will be as safe as I could hope for and less crowded as well and to keep planning and securing lodging, etc..

thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Exactly my experience at 3 nearby kosher grocers. A couple of days ago, I bought 4 rolls of TP, some great challah and pita bread, and several fresh fruits and veggies. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, T J said:

Switching gears a little. I have a bucket list 2 week family trip to Europe we had booked back before all this started. Late June thru mid July. London, Paris, and Rome. I’ve been thinking I’m going to need to cancel, but the past few days I’ve been thinking that it will be as safe as I could hope for and less crowded as well and to keep planning and securing lodging, etc..

thoughts? 

Pushing it. Any family members at risk?

ETA In June, Italy would have already cycled through and might prohibit Americans who would be several weeks behind.

Edited by JaxBill

Just now, T J said:

thoughts? 

Ultimately, in the near term - travel decisions are going to be made for you.  Certainly 3 months seems like a long enough time to pass for us all to crest.  But the levers of humanity’s re-interaction back with the world will be a gradual process.  You’ll likely need all the 3 governments cooperation related to travel restrictions, etc...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From presser: There are 1,100 patients in NY on a treatment of hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack to observe potential impact. Also mentioned the blood plasma results and interest moving forward with trying that.

Edited by RnR
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Boy NY/NJ is getting slammed hard rn.

Not surprised, but where?

VA and also seen pics of FL. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, T J said:

thoughts? 

I wouldn’t do anything yet. I just canceled our trip at the end of May but that is more a forgone conclusion. End of June, I’d wait until May before making a decision.

1 minute ago, RnR said:

From presser: There are 1,100 patients in NY on a treatment of hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack to observe potential impact. Also mentioned the blood plasma results and interest moving forward with trying that.

Would be informative to reveal the source of that info (e.g., who was speaking.)

Posted (edited)
Just now, BobbyLayne said:

Would be informative to reveal the source of that info (e.g., who was speaking.)

It was from the opening remarks from the President. I'm hoping we get to hear more on that during Q&A with others.

ETA: Sorry, I wanted to avoid the potential for politics to creep into the discussion.

Edited by RnR

1 hour ago, jonessed said:

I’m close to that.  I get great coverage, but it’s definitely not cheap.

The rates were much better when I was working.  I got the double whammy when I retired ...you get to stay on the company plan, but they stop paying half. 

- So it immediately doubled

- Then they separated the retirees into a "separate pay group" so that rate increased

- Then rates have steadily increased at sizable amounts every year.  

- fun.

Posted (edited)

Went to Costco today in suburban Minneapolis. It wasn’t nearly as busy as a normal Sunday afternoon. Shoppers were very good at observing social distancing and waiting to go into the dairy and vegetable cooler sections until other people had cleared out. Also, tons of toilet paper available. 

There’s a running joke here in Minnesota that we are all socially awkward introverts who are used to social distancing six months out of the year so this isn’t really that hard for us. I’m not seeing a lot of the horror stories that some of you are reporting and it may be a factor of weather or cultural. We have a very Scandinavian/German collectivistic culture here where you are expected to do what’s best for the rest of your community.  Also a higher trust in local government and we tend to be rule followers as well.

this combined with the fact that nobody has been vacationing here in the last two months and I have a feeling that our case peak will be much lower than most states and metros our size.

Edited by mr roboto
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

It’s from Trump, but Cuomo has said similar things the past couple of days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, T J said:

thoughts? 

I doubt it will be an option but I hope I am wrong cause that would be great news if vacations to europe are a thing in a few months.

I was hoping to take a "last trip" with mom (83) and my family to Portugal this summer to see some aunts (her sister) and uncles from my dads side.

At this point, I hope they all survive....

I have a bunch of family in Portugal and some in France. The aunts/uncles all over 70.

Hope you make it over there!

Wondering if because due to a lack of national and international travel in the next six months or so that people will have more discretionary income to spend locally? Maybe people prioritize supporting local businesses and attractions and spend less at large resorts or big vacation destinations?

• Like 1

For those on the fence, I had a very good first experience with Instacart this afternoon. Had a promo for free delivery with one of our grocery stores. Process was easy. Had everything on my front porch in a little over an hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2