What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

God, do we ever need testing of those who are asymptomatic. People have been calling for it for weeks -- why have we chosen this track? 
There’s still not enough tests to even test everyone who are showing symptoms. The safest bet is to assume that everyone might have CV, including yourself, and act accordingly.

I’ve used a hypothetical with a few customers who asked me advice of what they should be doing - imagine 10 people in the store right now have CV and could possibly pass it to you but you have no idea who they are because they don’t have symptoms. How does that change how you’re going to shop? That’s when I tell them about our free RX delivery/mail service and get their credit card info so that they can stay home. Truth is the number is probably higher than 10.

The stream in the Northeast is reaching the breaking point. Could be a complete meltdown in a couple of weeks with the lack of manpower 
Thanks. I was awfully hesitant without knowing the real situation. The orders are done, but my inclination is to stop ordering full stop. 

Not like I'd break the system, but I don't want to add to it. 

shader said:
All the scientific journals are not postulating a death rate of less than 1%. 
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

New England Journal of Medicine (1.4% of lab confirmed patients but with number of asymptomatic patients might be significantly less than 1%).

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/490558-study-coronavirus-mortality-rate-lower-than

Lancet Journal of Infectious Diseases (2/3 of a percent).

To be fair I exaggerated most journals haven't released estimates yet but I'd be interested if you can find any legitimate journals who postulate a death rate above 1% in the last 2 weeks I can't myself doesn't mean there aren't any but I can't find any.  Please note NEJM and Lancet are two of the best out there so it's only fair you provide at least legitimate ones they don't need to be as prestigious of course.

God, do we ever need testing of those who are asymptomatic. People have been calling for it for weeks -- why have we chosen this track? 
It’s difficult to test the asymptomatic when the virus is everywhere and contact tracing isn’t being done. The strategy is seems to be  a semi-lockdown/social distancing until the cases can be reduced, whenever that is.

Terminalxylem said:
People need to stop assuming this cannot impact them. I can’t link the table, but this excerpt from a clinical review says it all:

Every older group has even higher hospitalization rates. Do some of those younger people have comorbidities? Sure. But I’m personally aware of two cases under age 30 in our hospital with no preexisting conditions.
It can impact me but what good does it do me to be scared?  I'll follow the rules required by law.  I will respect the people around me who are scared.  And that's all I need to do.  I'll leave it to the other people to hoard supplies in their basements, not leave the safety of their homes no matter what and be under stress at all times.

I fully agree that, under the circumstances, this seems like a dumb and irresponsible decision.  You'll get no argument from me on that.

Now let's fast-forward into November.  This this thing still hasn't subsided.  Would any of us welcome individual states deciding to postpone elections?   Would any of us welcome the federal government delaying elections?  These are discussions that we really need to have now, because while they're unlikely to come up in the fall, there is definitely a non-zero probability that they'll come up.
I've been thinking about this, too. As if this election won't be contentious enough.

India is going to get decimated.  There is no way they can slow the spread in the slum populations.  Likewise in our own homeless populations and poor countries around the world.

There is a point where trying to track the specific number of case fatalities isn't going to matter much longer.  There will be far too many who simply die without ever being tested or knowing why.  Here in the US we will have sorta accurate numbers I guess, but when this virus finally releases its grip on humanity, about the only accurate way to measure the impact would be number of deaths during the pandemic minus the number of deaths in a similar period of time prior to the pandemic for a similar sample population.

I fully agree that, under the circumstances, this seems like a dumb and irresponsible decision.  You'll get no argument from me on that.

Now let's fast-forward into November.  This this thing still hasn't subsided.  Would any of us welcome individual states deciding to postpone elections?   Would any of us welcome the federal government delaying elections?  These are discussions that we really need to have now, because while they're unlikely to come up in the fall, there is definitely a non-zero probability that they'll come up.
Any reason the country couldn’t do mail in ballots?

I was just thinking about that the last few days.  What an epic disaster this might turn into.
I'm going to play trump card and say that I've been thinking about this since this thread started and the potential was explained. The two-spike models really brought it home. Exactly how are we going to go about having a fair and equitable election if this atmosphere continues?

Who will vote? Where will they vote? How will they vote? How can we count the votes? How to be sure they're fully accounted for and not just seemingly representative of the population? 

All legitimate questions to be determined.

That's what Ohio is doing... I don't see why it couldn't be done nationally. 
Mail-in ballots would likely flood the Postal Service and wouldn't garner the best turnout, one would think. One would have to pay attention to registering, all that. If you go down to the polling place with a valid ID, you'll get to vote one way or another. If you depend on a postal address, things look a lot different, one would assume, demographic-wise.

Mail-in ballots would likely flood the Postal Service and wouldn't garner the best turnout, one would think. One would have to pay attention to registering, all that. If you go down to the polling place with a valid ID, you'll get to vote one way or another. If you depend on a postal address, things look a lot different, one would assume, demographic-wise.
It's not an ideal solution for sure, but it may be the best method available depending on where we stand with C19 in November.

In theory I think it could improve turnout if well advertised and made simple.

An ugly side of it though is the potential for voter suppression - 'nuff said.

India is going to get decimated.  There is no way they can slow the spread in the slum populations.  Likewise in our own homeless populations and poor countries around the world.

There is a point where trying to track the specific number of case fatalities isn't going to matter much longer.  There will be far too many who simply die without ever being tested or knowing why.  Here in the US we will have sorta accurate numbers I guess, but when this virus finally releases its grip on humanity, about the only accurate way to measure the impact would be number of deaths during the pandemic minus the number of deaths in a similar period of time prior to the pandemic for a similar sample population.
Only problem is that our death rate has plummeted since we started the stay at home stuff.

Any reason the country couldn’t do mail in ballots?
Yes.  Our local post office loses batches of mail 2-3 times a year and delivers it to the wrong address on a weekly basis.

It can impact me but what good does it do me to be scared?  I'll follow the rules required by law.  I will respect the people around me who are scared.  And that's all I need to do.  I'll leave it to the other people to hoard supplies in their basements, not leave the safety of their homes no matter what and be under stress at all times.
Ok? Well good for you

CurlyNight said:
Didn't used to like Mark Cuban but I do now.

Parkland Hospital

@Parkland

· Mar 23

Thank you @dallasmavs and @mcuban for delivering needed meals and refreshment to our critical care teams in the hospital and those on the front lines at the testing sites. Thanks for your love and support!
Cuban and Musk have been examples of the billionaires we've built taking care of us.

Only problem is that our death rate has plummeted since we started the stay at home stuff.
Our death rate hasn't gone down necessarily, it's just that we are testing now…

Before the only way we could confirm someone had Covid is if they were on their deathbed or died.

Death rate will surge again  once we hit capacity in hospitals. :(

That's what Ohio is doing... I don't see why it couldn't be done nationally. 
Oregon does vote-by-mail exclusively, and we're usually top-10 in voter turnout.

Not sure if it would be possible for states to fully implement it by November, though.

Yes.  Our local post office loses batches of mail 2-3 times a year and delivers it to the wrong address on a weekly basis.
The death rate hasn’t plummeted man, what are you talking about 

It's not an ideal solution for sure, but it may be the best method available depending on where we stand with C19 in November.

In theory I think it could improve turnout if well advertised and made simple.

An ugly side of it though is the potential for voter suppression - 'nuff said.
And being on Shark Tank trying to get people realise their dreams.

Screw the election. Can't believe I'm saying this but postpone the dang thing. And I'm talking about the general even. If need be have a group of 3 Dems and 3 Reps share power until we're in a better spot.

A couple of nights ago I was shot down for implying scientists could be skeptical and hopeful at the same time.

I'm sensing some optimism.

--------------

NY Times: Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, In Small Study

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-malaria.html

“It’s going to send a ripple of excitement out through the treating community,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University.

I'm over it but still think it was rude. If I posted it indicating it's a funny that's one thing, but I had no clue wtf was so funny. That's the main reason I only post in threads where it's not cool to make fun of someone. This clearly was making fun of how I wrote what I meant. During this time getting a laugh off of someone's poor grammar or use of words is not cool. Jmo as obviously everyone disagrees with me. 
It's all right we still love you. I did not notice the error but once pointed out I did see the funny. I did not realize English is not your first language. I would have never guessed that. What is your first language if you don't mind my asking? 

Some times different cultures find some things funny while others find it not so funny. I have fallen into that trap myself. 

Screw the election. Can't believe I'm saying this but postpone the dang thing. And I'm talking about the general even. If need be have a group of 3 Dems and 3 Reps share power until we're in a better spot.
Wonder if Trump has the power in this situation to push it back say a year when vaccine likely out by then. That way he will pat himself on the back once this ends even more than he does now.

Let's just stick with the last census, as well.  We'll pick that back up in 2030.

It's all right we still love you. I did not notice the error but once pointed out I did see the funny. I did not realize English is not your first language. I would have never guessed that. What is your first language if you don't mind my asking? 

Some times different cultures find some things funny while others find it not so funny. I have fallen into that trap myself. 
Farsi. I grew up here mostly but English is tough. My worst subject. French is much easier because there's similarities and even some words are the same. People mistakenly think Farsi is like Arabic. Totally different. Farsi is more like the European languages.

Wonder if Trump has the power in this situation to push it back say a year when vaccine likely out by then. That way he will pat himself on the back once this ends even more than he does now.
There was talk of this in the political forum. Here is an article from the other day. LINK

It has?  It’s 2.3% right now.  What was it two weeks ago?
I saw a similar stat that due to all the shutdowns, the number of deaths in the USA is down week over week. I couldn't quickly find it again, but it makes sense. 35000-40000 people die in traffic accidents. That number is probably reduced by 75% while the slowdown is going on. Homicides are likely down. Almost every preventable death is impacted by the major slowdown.

We probably start to see some of these numbers spike (suicides/overdoses) and if C19 keeps picking up the pace, 100 lives saved a day from car accidents will quickly pall in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a similar stat that due to all the shutdowns, the number of deaths in the USA is down week over week. I couldn't quickly find it again, but it makes sense. 35000-40000 people die in traffic accidents. That number is probably reduced by 75% while the slowdown is going on. Homicides are likely down. Almost every preventable death is impacted by the major slowdown.

We probably start to see some of these numbers spike (suicides/overdoses) and if C19 keeps picking up the pace, 100 lives saved a day from car accidents will quickly pall in comparison.
Crime has gone down here. Every night there was at least one incident somewhere in the Bay Area. Now it's rare.

sorry I thought he meant CFR from COVID19, not all causes

Anarchy99 said:
Funny how the climate changes over time. Here in Southern NH, now that people know people that are positive, hospitalized, or have died, now most people out have masks on out in public. Where did they come from? For weeks healthcare facilities have been begging for donated masks and few people stepped up. But miraculously people have them to wear out?
What is the point of this post?

#1 The bold isnt true. It doesn't take long to find countless articles of New Hampshire hospitals having donations pour in. My personal favorite...

In response to an outpouring of offers from the community, Southern New Hampshire Medical Center and Elliot Hospital are now welcoming donations of sewn facemasks. Both organizations currently have the protective gear staff need while caring for patients with COVID-19 and have implemented strategies to conserve the current supply. However, uncertainty regarding how this pandemic will evolve and the national shortage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) necessitates having alternative options to ensure ongoing safety.
So they basically capitulated to taking donations even though they are currently OK because they were getting so many offers.

#2 Even if there was no #1, so what? There is no "miraculously" about it. Plenty of people have masks laying around from various projects and the misinformation is being debunked left and right. Maybe they bought KN95 masks and knew that these werent approved for hospitals here. Maybe they made their own. Maybe they are just dust masks. Maybe they tried to donate them and it was one of the hospitals that wasn't accepting opened packages. Like Concord Hospital in new hampshire. 

Other Items We're Seeking

All of the following items must be new and unopened.

N95 masks
It is a complete joke the amount of virtue signaling going on from non-medical professionals regarding this issue and the weird entitlement from people inside the medical community. 

You have no idea how they acquired their masks or how many they have. If you could confirm they had a stockpile, sure flame away. If those masks could all magically get teleported to the hospitals you might have a point. But if people have just a few and are wearing them so effing what...

I've got 4 N95's from a 5-pack I bought about 3 years ago for a woodworking project.  I ended up only using one because I bought a better/more comfortable cartridge style mask.  Wore one to the grocery store earlier this week and got several dirty looks.  I'd have to assume it's because people felt I shouldn't have them.  If anyone took donations of opened packs, I'd gladly give all but one up...but nobody wants opened ones.

sorry I thought he meant CFR from COVID19, not all causes
The original point was that you can’t just compare the overall death rate in normal times vs. the death rate now and say the uptick was related to COVID because the death rate from all other causes has gone down so much.

I've got 4 N95's from a 5-pack I bought about 3 years ago for a woodworking project.  I ended up only using one because I bought a better/more comfortable cartridge style mask.  Wore one to the grocery store earlier this week and got several dirty looks.  I'd have to assume it's because people felt I shouldn't have them.  If anyone took donations of opened packs, I'd gladly give all but one up...but nobody wants opened ones.
Monster. 

A couple of nights ago I was shot down for implying scientists could be skeptical and hopeful at the same time.

I'm sensing some optimism.

--------------

NY Times: Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, In Small Study

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-malaria.html

“It’s going to send a ripple of excitement out through the treating community,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University.
Im sure everyone on this board hopes it helps patients improve.

Users who are viewing this thread