What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

I've seen doing the makeshift nonsewing masks with tshirts and rubber bands. Why doesnt the NFL start mass producing those with team logos and market them with proceeds to charity.

Cmon @gump get your best people on this.

My wife wants to do takeout, probably pizza tonight, to support local businesses but she's freaked out about it at the same time.  I saw others suggest putting the take out in the oven for a bit and throwing the boxes, etc. Away - that seems reasonable.  Anyone have a link to an article discussing how to handle take out food when you get it home? An article would help ease her fears more than me saying it... Lol.

“The science around coronavirus continues to unfold, but there is currently no evidence that the disease is transmitted by food,” says Donald Schaffner, Ph.D., a distinguished professor in the department of food science at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J.

Went to Walmart this morning and they started limiting the number of customers.  It is based on sq footage.  The sign said 1,015 people.  They were counting as people went in and out.  This store has never had that many people in it even on black friday.  The food aisles were crowded just like every other day.  

“The science around coronavirus continues to unfold, but there is currently no evidence that the disease is transmitted by food,” says Donald Schaffner, Ph.D., a distinguished professor in the department of food science at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J.
And a week ago there was no need to wear a mask/face covering in public but here we are.

I say that to say, this is changing, on a daily basis, as we compile more information about it. I don't think there is an issue with food being contaminated but @Steeler if your wife is, I get it. Simple answer, through it in the oven and bake at whatever for a few minutes and you should be good.

I'd be more worried about the box than the food to be honest and that's an easy fix too. Accept the box, if you have disposable gloves, wear them. If not, take the food out, dispose of the box, wash hands thoroughly, hose down the door knob if you grabbed it after you handled the box, eat your pizza in peace.

This isn't the end of the world. Is it different than yesterday? Absolutely! But common sense will get you through it.

If a young healthy person isn't following the rules and needs a ventilator, do they deserve to take it from an old person who was following the rules?

If a young healthy person isn't following the rules and needs a ventilator, do they deserve to take it from an old person who was following the rules?
The problem is that it's nearly impossible to tell if the young person really got it from breaking the rules, or if the old person got it from that one time that he absentmindedly scratched his nose. So, the ventilator ends up being rationed based solely on patient viability.

The problem is that it's nearly impossible to tell if the young person really got it from breaking the rules, or if the old person got it from that one time that he absentmindedly scratched his nose. So, the ventilator ends up being rationed based solely on patient viability.
Agree.  This is a slippery slope.  

While it’s beyond frustrating to see blatant disregard of recommendations, there is no great answer here. 

jeez did they close the Coronavirus relationship thread bc that one dude made a joke and posted how to bury a body? That thread was helping people.
I learned early on that that isn't considered a joke and don't go there. When it comes to this subject, that is a non-starter, joke or no. Just a friendly PSA from someone who had 2 weeks to think about his transgression. 

From what I read, the virus is really tough to get off of polyester. Seeing mostly polyester or fleece gaiters/buffs/balaclavas. Not sure they’re actually better than nothing as you may increase your own chances of getting exposed.

I learned early on that that isn't considered a joke and don't go there. When it comes to this subject, that is a non-starter, joke or no. Just a friendly PSA from someone who had 2 weeks to think about his transgression. 

Seems like a good reason to delete some posts and carry on. People were giving and getting good advice in that thread, along with some much needed humor.

Sorry if addressed somewhere within this beast of a thread, but what is both the definition of and reporting method for “recovered”?
In Denmark they only recently started reporting this number (for a long time the only recovered guy was the first one to have it which meant outcomes were like 99% death).
Anyhow, they changed that and without spending any effort retesting people they made an algorithm basically saying
if if date of testing*not in hospital*not dead-today's date<-x then recovered, I can't remember whether x is three or four weeks
Other countries may do it differently

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a good reason to delete some posts and carry on. People were giving and getting good advice in that thread, along with some much needed humor.
Not arguing that point as it was kinda the way I saw but it is a hard, black & white line. Just passing along the "do not cross" message.

My wife wants to do takeout, probably pizza tonight, to support local businesses but she's freaked out about it at the same time.  I saw others suggest putting the take out in the oven for a bit and throwing the boxes, etc. Away - that seems reasonable.  Anyone have a link to an article discussing how to handle take out food when you get it home? An article would help ease her fears more than me saying it... Lol.
We do this for a sense of normalcy once a week. We get pizza a little early and let it cool down a bit then put on baking sheets and bake at 350 for a little bit for cheese to remelt. All packaging is immediately thrown out. Have read 130 degrees kills virus so a blast at 350 should take care of any is on your food. Also given food was initially hot chances food itself has any virus is rare and most likely place is on outside of pizza box. 

Also wash our hands a bunch on process. If I get from this then there was no way I wasn’t getting it anyway as then virus is so infectious we would all get it no matter what we do. 

We do this for a sense of normalcy once a week. We get pizza a little early and let it cool down a bit then put on baking sheets and bake at 350 for a little bit for cheese to remelt. All packaging is immediately thrown out. Have read 130 degrees kills virus so a blast at 350 should take care of any is on your food. Also given food was initially hot chances food itself has any virus is rare and most likely place is on outside of pizza box. 

Also wash our hands a bunch on process. If I get from this then there was no way I wasn’t getting it anyway as then virus is so infectious we would all get it no matter what we do. 
Probably best if a convection/fan oven

From what I read, the virus is really tough to get off of polyester. Seeing mostly polyester or fleece gaiters/buffs/balaclavas. Not sure they’re actually better than nothing as you may increase your own chances of getting exposed.
If the goal is to prevent you from impacting others though, doesn't this work?

Maybe? I guess that might depend on how many people have it versus don’t have it and what percentage of people are infecting themselves because their “mask” is contaminated. Just seems like if your choice is between repurposing some cotton items you have already versus buying polyester material, you’re personally safer repurposing cotton materials you already have on hand.

damn it, I just ordered one. :wall:  

These things are not N95 masks. They aren't going to stop you from getting it if someone sneezes directly on you and it probably won't stop you from infecting someone else if you sneeze. This is a simple added layer of protection that's easier to wear than a mask and up until today, easier to obtain. Wash the things after you wear them if you're concerned about it. Or don't buy them at all, do what makes you feel comfortable but I'm not walking into an emergency room in the middle of NYC wearing one thinking I'm protected. This is everyday, wear outside in public stuff to get you from point A to point B with a modicum of protection to me.

It looks like nothing on Amazon Prime is going to be delivered in 2 days. I know this sounds like a #### move but has anyone complained about this and gotten a refund for prime?

Another thing about these gaters. Why is the majority of them skull faces and scary stuff? I had a hard time finding one that was not scary looking. 

jeez did they close the Coronavirus relationship thread bc that one dude made a joke and posted how to bury a body? That thread was helping people.
Not just this topic. Most things in the politics forum are humor policed. Trust me.

These things are not N95 masks. They aren't going to stop you from getting it if someone sneezes directly on you and it probably won't stop you from infecting someone else if you sneeze. This is a simple added layer of protection that's easier to wear than a mask and up until today, easier to obtain. Wash the things after you wear them if you're concerned about it. Or don't buy them at all, do what makes you feel comfortable but I'm not walking into an emergency room in the middle of NYC wearing one thinking I'm protected. This is everyday, wear outside in public stuff to get you from point A to point B with a modicum of protection to me.
Yes.  A lot of this is marginal.

Amazing difference in one week with respect to the number of people wearing masks in NYC. I’d estimate 80% on the sidewalk (trains have been closer to 100% for weeks.)

Also, my three Notify NYC* texts yesterday afternoon:

- Notify NYC: The City urges you to save medical masks for our healthcare workers and first responders who truly need them. 

- Notify NYC: Face coverings are an added precaution to protect others in case you have contracted COVID-19 but don't have symptoms. 

- Notify NYC: New Yorkers: Wear a face covering when you go outside and near others. It can be a scarf, a bandana or one you make at home. 

FYI - I generally only leave the block once a week, to volunteer for an essential service on Saturday mornings.

I know of a couple in Manhattan that both have it and they've only left their apartment twice since March 2 to go to the grocery store. They did everything they were supposed to: keep social distance, don't touch face, use hand sanitizer, wash hands thoroughly when you get home. But they now have it. 
common air system with other apartments?

Heartbreaking.  Those scenes at the end where they are handing out food and the people are packed together.  India will get crushed.

Regarding the first part, I'm thankful I live in the US.  I'll take some stray paddleboarders on the beach over authoritarian brutality any day.
If it was India they would have drowned the paddleboarder. The dude here got slapped with a misdemeanor. 

Users who are viewing this thread