What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

Most states were under the 10% threshold in new cases today.  If that holds tomorrow, things could be starting to turn.
8% for the US today which was the lowest since Feb. 29. Doubling rate went from 5.96 to 8.87 days which was a step change improvement and broke out of a second order fit that had been pretty resilient for over two weeks. Still, it could be a statistical fluctuation. The death rate was also notably down but it should significantly lag the cases. 

Last edited by a moderator:
8% for the US yesterday which was the lowest since Feb. 29. Doubling rate went from 5.96 to 8.87 days which was a step change improvement and broke out of a second order fit that had been pretty resilient for over two weeks. Still, it could be a statistical fluctuation. The death rate was also notably down but it should significantly lag the cases. 
If you've been following this, do you have any insight on Sunday reporting possibly not being as accurate?

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

4/2 - 932,707 reported cases - 49,664 dead - USA  244,320 cases - 5,897 dead 

4/3 - 1,016,190 reported cases - 55,818 dead - USA 276,965 cases - 7,391 dead

4/4 - 1,119,804 reported cases - 61,362 dead - USA 311,357 cases - 8,452 dead

4/5 - 1,191,538 reported cases - 66,105 dead - USA 336,673 cases - 9,616 dead

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

8% for the US today which was the lowest since Feb. 29. Doubling rate went from 5.96 to 8.87 days which was a step change improvement and broke out of a second order fit that had been pretty resilient for over two weeks. Still, it could be a statistical fluctuation. The death rate was also notably down but it should significantly lag the cases. 
I’m worried it’s a weekend thing. Something lagging. 

8% for the US yesterday which was the lowest since Feb. 29. Doubling rate went from 5.96 to 8.87 days which was a step change improvement and broke out of a second order fit that had been pretty resilient for over two weeks. Still, it could be a statistical fluctuation. The death rate was also notably down but it should significantly lag the cases. 
Also, is anyone tracking new tests?  I the number of tests back fell off then that would explain the drop.

If you've been following this, do you have any insight on Sunday reporting possibly not being as accurate?
It could be real but my concern is that the death rate also mimicked the new case behavior in its outlier-ness. They shouldn’t be well correlated on the same day. 

• Thanks
Reactions: RnR
Worldwide, last Sunday total cases around the world were the lowest they had been in four days.  Deaths were also down.  Both went back up the next day.

The USA only reported like 273 deaths last Sunday.  Not sure why.  Then the next day almost 700 were reported.  

Feel free to look at the google link provided above and draw your own conclusions on the data.  

Cases are a meaningless stat...not sure why the media and others continue to pay attention to that statistic.
Because they aren't a meaningless stat?  If you followed the drop in cases in Italy, you wouldn't have been surprised 1-2 weeks later when ICU cases and deaths started dropping.  

It's an extremely relevant stat and it gives the earliest indications that things in a country are improving or devolving.

Because they aren't a meaningless stat?  If you followed the drop in cases in Italy, you wouldn't have been surprised 1-2 weeks later when ICU cases and deaths started dropping.  

It's an extremely relevant stat and it gives the earliest indications that things in a country are improving or devolving.

Why is it meaningless ?
Decide for yourself.

Worldwide, last Sunday total cases around the world were the lowest they had been in four days.  Deaths were also down.  Both went back up the next day.

The USA only reported like 273 deaths last Sunday.  Not sure why.  Then the next day almost 700 were reported.  

Feel free to look at the google link provided above and draw your own conclusions on the data.  
This makes me think something is going on with Sunday reporting. Cases and deaths shouldn’t be moving in concert and there should be smoothness in the trends, especially now that the numbers are relatively large. 

Thanks for doing this.  Any chance you can add daily number of tests?  That might help weed out bad data points.

It could be real but my concern is that the death rate also mimicked the new case behavior in its outlier-ness. They shouldn’t be well correlated on the same day. 
Iirc, same happened last week.  And the week before.  I don't have the daya in front of me but if it wasn't a drop, it was a number significantly below what i had expected.

Decide for yourself.
I'm not reading an article that says that case counts are meaningless, when I know they aren't. 

Case counts aren't perfect, the method has flaws, some countries are better than others, in some countries they ARE meaningless.....but they do have value, thus they aren't meaningless.  

Take them with a grain of salt if you must, but let's not float the absurd idea out there that there's no value in reporting case counts.

That said, things are improving albeit slowly. 
Definitely the exponential trend has been stopped.  That's clear in the data.  Once you see new cases start slowing down, ICU visits and deaths will soon follow.  That's great news for medical professionals as they hopefully see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As an example of how inaccurate our worldwide numbers are from other countries:

Ecuador on Worldometers.info - 3,646 cases - 180 dead

Then I read this post on Facebook from a missionary friend who lives and works in Ecuador (has for most of his life).

The last two days, in Guayaquil, Ecuador, the city services have picked up over 500 bodies. This does not include the hundreds that are stacked at the hospitals.

A family in the area of our church plant, after waiting for 4 days for the body to be picked up, on the fifth day had no other choice but to bury their dead in a nearby field.

It looks like the curve is still rising.

It’s heartbreaking.

Last week, we handed out 250 grocery packs in Monte Sinai. We are planning to hand out at least 100 packs a week, as provisions come in.

Thanks for your prayers during this trying time.
The numbers we are hearing out of the third world countries are simply not even close to accurate.  This thing is spreading like wildfire.  And I don't trust anything the communist nations and Russia have to say.  Outside of nations like Germany, France, UK and Canada, I don't buy their reported stats.

Everyone has a motive to under-report and the US has done the same thing at times.  The goal is to limit fear and panic and keep the population acting as if everything is normal.  That or they simply don't have the means to test and instill stay at home orders so they are left to the mercy of our natural means of fighting off the virus as a species.

Almost all of Africa is being hit and is likely in the same boat as countries like Ecuador.  Our number of reported cases in the US is likely much too low, but that pales in comparison to the massively underrepresented numbers worldwide.

There does seem to be a Sunday effect, unfortunately. From the NY stats, one thing that was promising against that trend was that the discharged hospitalizations were up. If all stats were depressed due to lack of reporting, then that stat should also have been underreported. 

Cook county medical examiner site is retroactively adding covid test results dome postmortem. 

Its why the listings end up with random out of order death dates. If you scroll right you see that all the out of order ones have covid listed as either a secondary or primary.

I know somebody in here had posted a random twitter account with a theory that deaths were being underreported because pneumonia had higher than normal reports. 

Why is it meaningless ?
Cases are directly related to the number of tests administered.   We aren't testing a significant portion of the population.   The actual number of cases is significantly greater than what is reported.   

Testing is sporadic at best in the United States.

Deaths are also being under reported but that number is significantly more useful.

As an example of how inaccurate our worldwide numbers are from other countries:

Ecuador on Worldometers.info - 3,646 cases - 180 dead

Then I read this post on Facebook from a missionary friend who lives and works in Ecuador (has for most of his life).

The numbers we are hearing out of the third world countries are simply not even close to accurate.  This thing is spreading like wildfire.  And I don't trust anything the communist nations and Russia have to say.  Outside of nations like Germany, France, UK and Canada, I don't buy their reported stats.

Everyone has a motive to under-report and the US has done the same thing at times.  The goal is to limit fear and panic and keep the population acting as if everything is normal.  That or they simply don't have the means to test and instill stay at home orders so they are left to the mercy of our natural means of fighting off the virus as a species.

Almost all of Africa is being hit and is likely in the same boat as countries like Ecuador.  Our number of reported cases in the US is likely much too low, but that pales in comparison to the massively underrepresented numbers worldwide.
Correct, there are many countries where the info could be extremely inaccurate.  I don't know if I think there is a "motive to under-report" cases though.

Because we aren't testing a significant portion of the population.  

Testing is sporadic at best in the United States.
The USA stunk at testing 3 weeks ago.  But testing has ramped up significantly and kudos should be given to somebody for this.

The USA has performed twice as many tests as any other country.  1.7 million tests have been done.  

I don't think "sporadic at best" is an accurate description of what's happening anymore.

The USA stunk at testing 3 weeks ago.  But testing has ramped up significantly and kudos should be given to somebody for this.

The USA has performed twice as many tests as any other country.  1.7 million tests have been done.  

I don't think "sporadic at best" is an accurate description of what's happening anymore.
See the links posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread