What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

This is very likely true, but with all of these things, the missed point is that contracting Covid is not just about yourself.

You get hit by a car, you don't spread that splattering onto your family or neighbors. Good chance you do spread the coronavirus to your wife/kids/parents though
Right, but he's saying that you're extremely unlikely to contract Covid from jogging past someone, and I'd definitely agree.

I feel like the most dangerous time in the USA will be when the numbers start to improve but before the number of cases have dropped off.  Keeping people in their homes for another 4-8 weeks is going to represent a major challenge, yet that's what will need to be done.  Or maybe 4-12 weeks, who knows?

My company makes restaurant equipment and supplies cafeterias in hospitals and assisted living facilities. One of the industrial toasters was retrofitted with UV lights to make a sort of sanitizing conveyor belt for N95 masks for hospitals.
I hope they're buttered

How long can the coronavirus live on common surfaces?

https://coronavirus.nautil.us/how-long-can-the-coronavirus-live-on-common-surfaces/?fbclid=IwAR02LZ__jppn-vXdHuJdIS746vqtxSQnhNtFVbTFvzJ9oarkvx12ySTuLsM

Some of the biggest misconceptions about COVID-19 pertain to how long the virus can live on surfaces and how likely a person is to contract the disease by coming into contact with those surfaces. This paranoia was exacerbated, when—earlier in March—the CDC discovered coronavirus genetic material in the cabins of infected passengers on a Diamond Princess cruise ship 17 days after passengers had left the cabins.

Additionally, when the New England Journal of Medicine published a study to determine how long coronavirus can remain on surfaces in a controlled laboratory setting, researchers found that the virus was detectable on copper for up to four hours, on cardboard for up to 24 hours, and on plastic and steel for up to 72 hours.

Though that may sound scary, the good news is that just because the virus is detectable, it still doesn’t mean that you can become infected by coming into contact with it.

Dr. Julia Marcus, an infectious disease epidemiologist and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, told the Guardian that the important takeaway here is how rapidly the virus decreases on each of those surfaces. As such, “the risk of infection from touching them would probably decrease over time as well.”

In fact, the CDC has yet to document a case in which the virus was transmitted to a person via a contaminated surface.

“It just means that there are parts of the virus that still remain,” added Dr. Akiko Iwasaki, who studies adaptive immunity at Yale School of Medicine. “The virus needs many other components to be intact. Just because you had a little piece of [ribonucleic acid, a nucleic acid present in all living cells], doesn’t mean that there’s an infection.”

So while it is true that the virus can be detected on plastic for up to 72 hours, the amount that remains may be less than 0.1% of the starting virus material—making infection theoretically possible but highly unlikely. Either way, everyone should be diligent about washing their hands, especially when coming into contact with a potentially contaminated surface. 

I forget the names of the different logical fallacies but this is definitely one.
Meh.  Look, when someone comes in here and expresses an opinion that is obviously wrong, I'm not going to give credence to their opinion just because they can provide an internet link to "back it up".  You'll struggle to find another example of me doing this throughout this thread in the hundreds of links that have been provided.  

But on THIS issue, with THIS PARTICULAR argument, I won't give it the time of day.  Willing to take any heat that some of you want to give me for that.  But I honestly don't care.  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you read an article entitled "Reasons why the Earth is Flat"?  Thanks.
Weren't you the user that another user suggested should change your holier than thou attitude a day or so ago? And then that other user was attacked for suggesting that to you? I guess ignore works just as well and it shortens the thread. Win-Win. 

I've noticed the same thing with regards to age grouping, which does seem to be reported strangely.  But a simpler explanation is that this is a fast-moving story, the underlying data are suspect because of testing protocols, and most people are bad with numbers under the best of circumstances.  In other words, "don't assume malice when incompetence will suffice."

On the other hand, it would not surprise me if authorities were deliberately withholding more detailed information regarding co-morbidities and stuff like that.  People who work in this field seem to have preferences of the form "perfect information" > "no information" > "noisy information."  Whatever data we currently have regarding covid-19 definitely falls in the third category.
Great points.  The 20-44 age categorization may indeed simply by an institutional categorization that is a holdover from a different time.  It's just striking to me that given what we know about this virus that there isn't more pushback/acknowledgment and or breakdowns within these categories.  As I said, have never been accused of being a conspiracy theorist before and generally follow the adage of incompetence over malice as the occam's razor of explanation. 

Hadn't considered the hierarchy preference you describe above, but that makes alot of sense and is counter to my field in which my clients are making marketing rather than life-death decisions.  Good stuff.  Thanks.  

Of ther 350,000 cases in the US, I am skeptical that not one of those people got it from a contaminated surface. I think the CDC belives this to be true, but no way in hell they know this for sure. I mean, how many cases have they actually vetted to determine where/how the person got the virus?

Weren't you the user that another user suggested should change your holier than thou attitude a day or so ago? And then that other user was attacked for suggesting that to you? I guess ignore works just as well and it shortens the thread. Win-Win. 
I have no idea what you're talking about, but if you aren't a fan of my posts, feel free to ignore.  

Of ther 350,000 cases in the US, I am skeptical that not one of those people got it from a contaminated surface. I think the CDC belives this to be true, but no way in hell they know this for sure. I mean, how many cases have they actually vetted to determine where/how the person got the virus?
I'm sure there has been some transmission from surfaces.  But if there isn't evidence of even 1 transmission, then it isn't a significant contributor to the spread.

This will happen everywhere when restrictions lifted. It’s going to be a madhouse. 

Exactly. Every football stadium will be max capacity in September, which will set off another round of (hopefully smaller) breakouts.

Simply put,  people are too stupid and selfish just not do this. Give them an inch of relief, and most people will take it as "all clear" to get back to their normal lives.  Rather than just getting back some small conveniences (seeing friends, very small gatherings) everyone is going to go nuts.

Exactly. Every football stadium will be max capacity in September, which will set off another round of (hopefully smaller) breakouts.

Simply put,  people are too stupid and selfish just not do this. Give them an inch of relief, and most people will take it as "all clear" to get back to their normal lives.  Rather than just getting back some small conveniences (seeing friends, very small gatherings) everyone is going to go nuts.
Agreed. The answer to this is no football. We need discipline, not instant gratification. Playing in front of empty stadiums doesn't solve the logistics of players in locker rooms and clubhouses. Not to mention it's tackle football. Hard to maintain any distance in that sport.

Perhaps seeing friends in September will be a thing. Perhaps restaurants taking the proper precautions and having small occupancies. Football? That would be wildly reckless unless there's a legitimate vaccine widely available.

This will happen everywhere when restrictions lifted. It’s going to be a madhouse. 
It's why Elliot Aronson dubbed our first-year social psychology book The Social Animal

We are very moved and influenced by others. We seek crowds. It's not something to be cursed, but celebrated. Unfortunately, that which is in our makeup can lead to our demise. 

And I'm not picking your quote to pick at you because you didn't say anything contra to what I just said; it's just a good jumping off point. There's a whole line of thought that seems to want to curse ourselves for longing to be around other humans. It's unnatural. It's unclean, but unnatural. 

I visit many sites, and I see many positive stories/articles about hydroxychloroquine. When I visit this site, its always people posting articles suggesting it is not a cure (very few positive stories on it). I almost feel like most on this thread are rooting against it, trying to find only the negative articles on it. Of course just my opinion.  I have no idea if the drug is a cure, but just a weird vibe when I come here.
So I shuldn't post that Swedish hospitals are stopping to test the use of hydroxychloroquine because of the risk of side effects like acute heart issues (Link in Danish), and I shouldn't do this so you can be hopeful that hydroxychloroquine works. OK, then

Meh.  Look, when someone comes in here and expresses an opinion that is obviously wrong, I'm not going to give credence to their opinion just because they can provide an internet link to "back it up".  You'll struggle to find another example of me doing this throughout this thread in the hundreds of links that have been provided.  

But on THIS issue, with THIS PARTICULAR argument, I won't give it the time of day.  Willing to take any heat that some of you want to give me for that.  But I honestly don't care.  :shrug:
No offense but I think you really have a hard tie with people disagreeing with you. You dismissed my posts twice as conspiracies. The first time I thought it was funny, but the second time it was like there's that word again, and I noticed you did it with others. Just for fun I ran a search of when you labeled something a conspiracy and it came back with seven pages.

Maybe you don't realize you do this - we all have our blind spots. I think you're a valuable poster here but I think you could do with a little less of seeing monsters under the bed that aren't there.

My Dad lives essentially in the same town in a retirement community but he's not officially in The Villages.  I've thought for a while that community will be devastated if they have a bad breakout.  On Mach 14th my Step-mom and I had this text exchange:

Me: "Are you guys staying indoors?"

Her: "Not really.  There are no cases in our county reported.  In all honesty, I think it's being blown out of proportion."

My reaction:  :mellow:

My Dad lives essentially in the same town in a retirement community but he's not officially in The Villages.  I've thought for a while that community will be devastated if they have a bad breakout.  On Mach 14th my Step-mom and I had this text exchange:

Me: "Are you guys staying indoors?"

Her: "Not really.  There are no cases in our county reported.  In all honesty, I think it's being blown out of proportion."

My reaction:  :mellow:
My reaction includes the letters "o" and "f" and has a big "oooooo" in the middle of those two

In case anyone is interested, my office just issued a report on COVID-19 based on interviews with more than 300 hospital administrators.   It goes into a lot of detail of what U.S. hospitals are facing for those that like to delve deep. 

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-06-20-00300.pdf
Thanks for posting that. You have a job at HHS? That must be interesting and crazy. Anyway, thanks.

The key takeaway sounds like everything is the problem, actually. From diagnosing to care to even maintenance of the health of the caregiver. Not good. That's right up front in the report.

Would you read an article entitled "Reasons why the Earth is Flat"?  Thanks.
The Nate Silver article, at least, doesn't say "the earth is flat", to borrow the metaphor. What Silver wrote was like saying "From a single vantage point on the ground, we can only confirm that the earth has a slight curve." Then Silver, metaphorically, goes on to propose (a) Eratosthenes' sundial experiment, (b) circumnavigation of the earth by sail, and finally (c) view of the Earth from space as means to confirm the Earth's shape.

Frankly, I think Silver's article has been commonly misinterpreted, despite the asterisked and qualified word "meaningless" in the headline. It's been sort of clumsily backfit to support pre-existing notions about the overall worth of (the cost of?) testing.

I have heard they prescribed this stuff to kids with Malaria.  If I couldn't breathe I'd risk the heart problems.  Hell, all the drugs they advertise on TV have a laundry list of side effects as well 
Perhaps the dosage required to show to show any affect in the virus is much higher than your standard anti-malarial dosage? This is why drugs are tested for the ailment they treat before being approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
My reaction includes the letters "o" and "f" and has a big "oooooo" in the middle of those two
In a little bit of fairness to her, I think that was right about the time when things really started shutting down.  But it does go to show the mindset of a lot of people just a few weeks ago and I'm sure a lot still.

My BIL works for an airport where they actually fly folks from other countries somewhat routinely that are infected with Ebola and other diseases.  He seemed really laid back about it and then called me yesterday and said 3 guys at work have tested positive and he's was around 2 of them a couple weeks back.  He said all 3 had mild symptoms and he didn't seem that concerned.  I mean, I'm not at a 10/10 on the panic meter by no means but he seemed to be around a 2. 

Thanks for posting that. You have a job at HHS? That must be interesting and crazy. Anyway, thanks.

The key takeaway sounds like everything is the problem, actually. From diagnosing to care to even maintenance of the health of the caregiver. Not good. That's right up front in the report.
Yeah, I've worked for HHS OIG for more than 20 years.  It's never not interesting, but the last few weeks have been wild.  I personally conducted six of the interviews and am just amazed that the primary team was able to take 300 plus interviews and turn it into a report in a weeks time.  Government never works that fast...

Users who are viewing this thread