Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Another thing about these gaters. Why is the majority of them skull faces and scary stuff? I had a hard time finding one that was not scary looking. 

Outdoor music festivals get extremely dusty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

If a young healthy person isn't following the rules and needs a ventilator, do they deserve to take it from an old person who was following the rules?

No. Let them die IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, prosopis said:

Another thing about these gaters. Why is the majority of them skull faces and scary stuff? I had a hard time finding one that was not scary looking. 

You can't walk around like a boss in the desert sporting unicorns bud :headbang:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, [icon] said:

No. Let them die IMO. 

I’m sure glad people didn’t say that about me everytime I did something stupid when I was young and thought I was invincible 

Edited by Cowboysfan8
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [icon] said:
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

If a young healthy person isn't following the rules and needs a ventilator, do they deserve to take it from an old person who was following the rules?

No. Let them die IMO. 

Your teachers ever have you guys play Lifeboat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

 

 

These things are not N95 masks. They aren't going to stop you from getting it if someone sneezes directly on you and it probably won't stop you from infecting someone else if you sneeze. This is a simple added layer of protection that's easier to wear than a mask and up until today, easier to obtain. Wash the things after you wear them if you're concerned about it. Or don't buy them at all, do what makes you feel comfortable but I'm not walking into an emergency room in the middle of NYC wearing one thinking I'm protected. This is everyday, wear outside in public stuff to get you from point A to point B with a modicum of protection to me.

Yes.  A lot of this is marginal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just hit 300k cases in US per worldometers 

Edited by Slapdash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing difference in one week with respect to the number of people wearing masks in NYC. I’d estimate 80% on the sidewalk (trains have been closer to 100% for weeks.)

Also, my three Notify NYC* texts yesterday afternoon:

- Notify NYC: The City urges you to save medical masks for our healthcare workers and first responders who truly need them. 

- Notify NYC: Face coverings are an added precaution to protect others in case you have contracted COVID-19 but don't have symptoms. 

- Notify NYC: New Yorkers: Wear a face covering when you go outside and near others. It can be a scarf, a bandana or one you make at home. 

*sign up by testing Covid to 692-692

FYI - I generally only leave the block once a week, to volunteer for an essential service on Saturday mornings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

If a young healthy person isn't following the rules and needs a ventilator, do they deserve to take it from an old person who was following the rules?

Since there’s no effective way to police who followed rules, an age based blanket policy will prevail, which is more reason to be disappointed in the selfish rule breakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

CBS13: Gov. Cuomo: China sending 1,000 ventilators to New York 
Andrew Cuomo (Twitter): We finally got some good news today.  The Chinese government helped facilitate a donation of 1,000 ventilators that will arrive in JFK today. I thank the Chinese government, Jack Ma, Joe Tsai, the Jack Ma Foundation, the Tsai Foundation and Consul General Huang.

Edited by bradyfan
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheMagus said:

I know of a couple in Manhattan that both have it and they've only left their apartment twice since March 2 to go to the grocery store. They did everything they were supposed to: keep social distance, don't touch face, use hand sanitizer, wash hands thoroughly when you get home. But they now have it. 

common air system with other apartments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bradyfan said:

LaStampa Italy: Coronavirus, Castiglione d'Adda is a case study: "70% of blood donors are positive" (Google translated)

All asymptomatic, but have antibodies. From their plasma an experimental cure for the sick

Not perfect, but at least a stab (no pun) at sampling of asymptomatics and/or apparent healthy persons. Would love to see similar data from other blood-donation facilities, both in Italy and around the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

There werent any offensive posts. 

Then why not just fix whatever the problem was, instead of deleting an entire topic that was quite interesting and fun?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Heartbreaking.  Those scenes at the end where they are handing out food and the people are packed together.  India will get crushed.

Regarding the first part, I'm thankful I live in the US.  I'll take some stray paddleboarders on the beach over authoritarian brutality any day.

If it was India they would have drowned the paddleboarder. The dude here got slapped with a misdemeanor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus PR (and having lots of masks and ventilators) is working for China.

Fox: China joins UN Human Rights Council panel despite troubling record, response to coronavirus 
China will now play a central role in picking at least 17 human rights investigators, including those looking at freedom of speech, enforced disappearance and arbitrary detention.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Imagine the interview for that job...or listing it on your resume

Well, it would sure be a conversation starter.

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Great news if this turns out to be true.  Our partial shutdown would probably end up being perfect.

If there was good information on known positives, etc. one could make a good guess as to how many asymptomatics there are.  Would have a huge effect on the number of deaths and when this becomes endemic and herd immunity starts taking hold.  It also drops the known death rate, which will life spirits everywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Angry Beavers said:
5 hours ago, TheMagus said:

I know of a couple in Manhattan that both have it and they've only left their apartment twice since March 2 to go to the grocery store. They did everything they were supposed to: keep social distance, don't touch face, use hand sanitizer, wash hands thoroughly when you get home. But they now have it. 

common air system with other apartments?

Same for one of our pastors. Did everything right - all that you listed plus wiped down packages, pulled the kids out of school when we had a handful of cases, started social distancing weeks earlier than anyone I know (wife/mom has underlying conditions.)

Still got it. Everyone recovered without hospitalization, kids only had low grade fevers, adults got their butts kicked for a solid week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: masks. Here is a link to a 2008 study on transmission reduction and compared respirators, surgical masks and home-made masks.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002618

The bottom line is they found all types of masks worked, especially for protecting yourself (inward protection), which proves that if everybody wore them it would greatly reduce transmission.

Here is a link to a video that has a whole bunch of covid-19 info, but at the 16 minute mark he references the study and explains it in some detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHIX2Sh_68&feature=youtu.be

For protecting yourself (inward protection). Using a reference value of 100 particles produced in the environment, a homemade mask would let in 33, surgical mask 25 and a N95 respirator 1. Even for a home made mask, you'd have close to 70% less exposure.

For protecting others (outward protection), using the same reference value of 100 particles produced by coughing a home made mask lets out 90, a surgical mask 50 and an N95 respirator 30. 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

CBS13: Gov. Cuomo: China sending 1,000 ventilators to New York 
Andrew Cuomo (Twitter): We finally got some good news today.  The Chinese government helped facilitate a donation of 1,000 ventilators that will arrive in JFK today. I thank the Chinese government, Jack Ma, Joe Tsai, the Jack Ma Foundation, the Tsai Foundation and Consul General Huang.

Seems odd to me that governor of a state needs to get ventilators from China. Shouldn't the feds be the ones getting this #### and divying it up to the needed states?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, the moops said:

Seems odd to me that governor of a state needs to get ventilators from China. Shouldn't the feds be the ones getting this #### and divying it up to the needed states?

Everyone (including governments) needs to get Chinese government approval to get the equipment out of China.  They would be looking for something else in return besides money.

Edited by bradyfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, the moops said:

Seems odd to me that governor of a state needs to get ventilators from China.

Shouldn't the feds be the ones getting this #### and divying it up to the needed states?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

From what I read, the virus is really tough to get off of polyester. Seeing mostly polyester or fleece gaiters/buffs/balaclavas. Not sure they’re actually better than nothing as you may increase your own chances of getting exposed.

They recommend cotton masks. That's what my cancer center here sent me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prosopis said:
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

From what I read, the virus is really tough to get off of polyester. Seeing mostly polyester or fleece gaiters/buffs/balaclavas. Not sure they’re actually better than nothing as you may increase your own chances of getting exposed.

damn it, I just ordered one. :wall:

Spray liberally with alcohol/lysol and it'll be good as new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

Re: masks. Here is a link to a 2008 study on transmission reduction and compared respirators, surgical masks and home-made masks.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002618

The bottom line is they found all types of masks worked, especially for protecting yourself (inward protection), which proves that if everybody wore them it would greatly reduce transmission.

Here is a link to a video that has a whole bunch of covid-19 info, but at the 16 minute mark he references the study and explains it in some detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeHIX2Sh_68&feature=youtu.be

For protecting yourself (inward protection). Using a reference value of 100 particles produced in the environment, a homemade mask would let in 33, surgical mask 25 and a N95 respirator 1. Even for a home made mask, you'd have close to 70% less exposure.

For protecting others (outward protection), using the same reference value of 100 particles produced by coughing a home made mask lets out 90, a surgical mask 50 and an N95 respirator 30. 

 

The studies linked in this article seem like homemade masks are way less effective.

I think it’s likely that they’re better than nothing assuming that people are using them properly 95% of the time.

From my experience seeing people with any types of masks in public so far, I’d say that over 50% have not handled them properly. I’ve seen loads of people having them hanging from their face to breath easier (what’s the point of even having it), touching the mask with bare hands, touching their face, moving the mask aside to eat or drink, etc.

I think the idea behind it is good, but with how few people are using them properly, I don’t think we should expect them to have a very large impact on number of infected. Worst case is that the early fears of the CDC (my assumption) end up being correct and it actually increases transmission as people become less vigilant about other better methods of reducing transmission ie. people starting going out more instead of staying home , touch their face more, don’t wash hands as often, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

That thread was great, while lightening the mood.

Why not just delete the offensive posts?

He probably doesn't have time to go through every post. He already said no joking in these covid threads. 

Also posts get quoted and stays visible even if you delete your post.

Edited by CurlyNight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prosopis said:

damn it, I just ordered one. :wall: 

On Amazon? Send a message to the seller to cancel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msommer said:

Have them pay extra when they are hospitalized

Wish you could prove exactly who infected someone else then you could just sue them and that church.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I have 4 N95 masks that I just always kept in my tool box. Should I be wearing that to the grocery store or to get takeout?  Or save those for something else and just make something from a tshirt/bandana?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nipsey said:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the moops said:

Seems odd to me that governor of a state needs to get ventilators from China. Shouldn't the feds be the ones getting this #### and divying it up to the needed states?

Jared Kushner made it clear this week that they are treating the national stockpile as belonging to the federal government rather than as a resource for states to tap into.

 The notion of the federal stockpile was it's supposed to be our stockpile," he said. "It's not supposed to be states' stockpiles that they then use."

The next day, the website for that agency was changed:

 A day after Kushner made his remarks, language on a government website about the national stockpile was changed to more closely reflect his description.

That’s why NY took it upon themselves to source ventilators from a foreign government.

I’m not trying to be political, this is just the reality of the situation. Those making the decisions in the federal government have decided that the national medical stockpile is for federal use, not primarily to be distributed to the states and have told states to figure out their own supplies.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help ...

An oldie but goodie -- often repeated down here when hurricanes threaten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like Governor Kemp wants to reopen some beaches in GA

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

So, I have 4 N95 masks that I just always kept in my tool box. Should I be wearing that to the grocery store or to get takeout?  Or save those for something else and just make something from a tshirt/bandana?

You should probably be donating them to your local hospital

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joffer said:

sounds like Governor Kemp wants to reopen some beaches in GA

What a genius idea!  Because we all need our beaches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Jared Kushner made it clear this week that they are treating the national stockpile as belonging to the federal government rather than as a resource for states to tap into.

The next day, the website for that agency was changed:

That’s why NY took it upon themselves to source ventilators from a foreign government.

I’m not trying to be political, this is just the reality of the situation. Those making the decisions in the federal government have decided that the national medical stockpile is for federal use, not primarily to be distributed to the states and have told states to figure out their own supplies.

There are several options.  Which one would you choose when you are limited in time and man power?

1.  All the states are on their own.

2.  Everyone does nothing and wait for the federal government to save them.

3.  Everyone hunts for what they need at the same time, then access the federal stockpile for the shortfall.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I’m not trying to be political, this is just the reality of the situation. Those making the decisions in the federal government have decided that the national medical stockpile is for federal use, not primarily to be distributed to the states and have told states to figure out their own supplies.

i've seen some chatter about how perhaps the federal stockpile was sold to China as part of their reponse to the outbreak. the belief that, despite the advice of experts, there was an opportunity to make some money by the administration and others. China, for its part, needed enough PPE and equipment but they quickly went through their own reserve and were looking. now, if this true, it does explain why the federal response has been so uneven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

There are several options.  Which one would you choose when you are limited in time and man power?

1.  All the states are on their own.

2.  Everyone does nothing and wait for the federal government to save them.

3.  Everyone hunts for what they need at the same time, then access the federal stockpile for the shortfall.

If the Feds had communicated to the local and state officials this strategy in January then this could work maybe. There was no strategy from the White House aside from downplaying the seriousness of the situation.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

There are several options.  Which one would you choose when you are limited in time and man power?

1.  All the states are on their own.

2.  Everyone does nothing and wait for the federal government to save them.

3.  Everyone hunts for what they need at the same time, then access the federal stockpile for the shortfall.

I think that’s better addressed in the political forum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

What a genius idea!  Because we all need our beaches!

Beaches should be open under certain circumstances, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

You should probably be donating them to your local hospital

They will reject them or throw them away if they have been in his toolbox. 

And heading to a hospital to donate a measly 4 masks is dumb. 

Risk getting and/or spreading the virus for something that barely makes a dent is silly. 

Terrible advice. Just terrible. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

So, I have 4 N95 masks that I just always kept in my tool box. Should I be wearing that to the grocery store or to get takeout?  Or save those for something else and just make something from a 

6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

They will reject them or throw them away if they have been in his toolbox. 

And heading to a hospital to donate a measly 4 masks is dumb. 

Risk getting and/or spreading the virus for something that barely makes a dent is silly. 

Terrible advice. Just terrible. 

 

I would call the hospital and see what they say. If they are really desperate they may take it. There are reports of some hc folks who are put in a situation of using homemade masks which doesn't protect hc workers from contracting it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:
19 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

*sigh*

We’re gonna be here awhile.

Think I’m gonna start binging Chernobyl tonight.

you're in for a treat.

Knew it was gonna be great, I followed the thread here & listened to the Chernobyl podcast last spring.

My plan last night was to watch one episode and re-listen to the first podcast. Finally went to sleep at 3 a.m. after knocking out three of each.

About to finish up “The Happiness of All Mankind” now.

:popcorn:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.