Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

14 minutes ago, Otis said:

Interesting take. Highly highly doubt it. People can be dumb and bad, but they’re still smarter and better than this. 

I hope so, but the lines I saw at the Field & Stream gun counter a couple of weeks back tell me that many are afraid of their neighbors- or projecting that person inside of themselves on to others.

10 hours ago, adonis said:

Definitely don't want to turn the FFA into the PSF cesspool, but to some degree Trump's comments on the coronvavirus and how seriously he's taking it seems relevant to this thread, no?  If he's considering, or pushing back against experts to open up church services for Easter, that seems relevant to Covid-19.  I should keep my editorialization to a minimum though, but simply saying this seems like a bad idea would be sufficient - no?

Correct.

22 minutes ago, Otis said:

Interesting take. Highly highly doubt it. People can be dumb and bad, but they’re still smarter and better than this. 

No. 

most of you don’t underestimate the complete economic and civil collapse that 3 months of Quarantine would cause Most of us are relatively affluent and relatively far removed from the short term consequences of missing a few paychecks.

I’m in a similar boat, I could lose both of my businesses and a bunch of savings and probably still come out of this thing OK with some cash savings, still owning my house and likely able to find a job. But I know I’m in the top 5% in terms of amount of cash on hand and connections/abilities to restart my career or find a new one.

This message board is more affluent, better educated and older than the average US adult by a significant margin. I employ people out of college in their 20s and I also have one manager who is in her late 30s who has a special needs daughter and is a single mother.  She’s terrified of not working and has enough savings for maybe one month of expenses without having to go begging to her ex-husband (who’s an ###) for money.

then there’s at the emotional toll from the business owner perspective. My wife and I struggle with this. We’ve put several hundred thousand dollars and 2 to 3 years of our time into building what were, up until two weeks ago, successful businesses that employed people and generated profit for our families.  These businesses were the vehicles through which we planned to save for college for our daughters and also fund longer term family priorities. 

When you own a business it’s much more personal than just a job. It’s something you’re building and you take pride in and there’s a lot more responsibility for and just simply closing or walking away from that takes a huge mental toll.  

The government can’t just keep printing money and handing it out. The long-term economic ramifications of that are significant and I don’t think anybody is considering that right now. Inflation would skyrocket once economy did get kick started because there be a flood of money into the system. The way the economy works is that every dollar is traded over and over and over again and there’s a multiplier effect for every dollar but when you’re just handing the public money and nobody can go out and spend it on anything other than the essentials those dollars are not circulating. We are almost entirely a consumer demand driven economy  

• Like 6

From the mayor of Tybee Island, GA in response to the GA governor mandating that all public beaches remain open during their shelter in place period. To me this is criminal negligence and the governor should pay for this not only with his political career but jail time. But that’s me and probably won’t happen. Yet another example of why this thing will drag out longer than it needs to and @mr roboto post above will be closer to reality than it needs to be. 

I’ve said from the beginning that this battle will be won at the town/city/state level by quick thinking individuals that are prepared to make hard decisions. This is an example of that internal battle, kinda like fighting within your group when you are all trying to reach the same objective. 

https://twitter.com/jarbomb/status/1246552787573510146?s=21

20 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

No. 

most of you don’t underestimate the complete economic and civil collapse that 3 months of Quarantine would cause Most of us are relatively affluent and relatively far removed from the short term consequences of missing a few paychecks.

I’m in a similar boat, I could lose both of my businesses and a bunch of savings and probably still come out of this thing OK with some cash savings, still owning my house and likely able to find a job. But I know I’m in the top 5% in terms of amount of cash on hand and connections/abilities to restart my career or find a new one.

This message board is more affluent, better educated and older than the average US adult by a significant margin. I employ people out of college in their 20s and I also have one manager who is in her late 30s who has a special needs daughter and is a single mother.  She’s terrified of not working and has enough savings for maybe one month of expenses without having to go begging to her ex-husband (who’s an ###) for money.

then there’s at the emotional toll from the business owner perspective. My wife and I struggle with this. We’ve put several hundred thousand dollars and 2 to 3 years of our time into building what were, up until two weeks ago, successful businesses that employed people and generated profit for our families.  These businesses were the vehicles through which we planned to save for college for our daughters and also fund longer term family priorities. 

When you own a business it’s much more personal than just a job. It’s something you’re building and you take pride in and there’s a lot more responsibility for and just simply closing or walking away from that takes a huge mental toll.  

The government can’t just keep printing money and handing it out. The long-term economic ramifications of that are significant and I don’t think anybody is considering that right now. Inflation would skyrocket once economy did get kick started because there be a flood of money into the system. The way the economy works is that every dollar is traded over and over and over again and there’s a multiplier effect for every dollar but when you’re just handing the public money and nobody can go out and spend it on anything other than the essentials those dollars are not circulating. We are almost entirely a consumer demand driven economy  

I’m not willing to say never. If I’ve learned anything from this situation is that this is unpredictable, and you just never know what could happen. That said, the civil unrest/breakdown of society thing still seems highly unlikely to me. 

• Like 1

Stuff is pretty serious here in Long Island. Never imagined anything like this in real life. My first time waiting outside the supermarket. The line wraps around the back of the building and through the parking lot. Everyone wearing masks and spaced 10ft+ apart. I guess they’re only allowing so many people into the store at a time. 

It’s eery. It’s also so quiet out. A car every now and then, but mostly listening to birds, more different types of birds, and louder birds, than I’ve ever remembered hearing.  All just very weird. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:
10 hours ago, adonis said:

Definitely don't want to turn the FFA into the PSF cesspool, but to some degree Trump's comments on the coronvavirus and how seriously he's taking it seems relevant to this thread, no?  If he's considering, or pushing back against experts to open up church services for Easter, that seems relevant to Covid-19.  I should keep my editorialization to a minimum though, but simply saying this seems like a bad idea would be sufficient - no?

Correct.

Oof.

Really thought you'd come down on the "not this thread" side. 

If you're going to allow comments critical of Trump, be prepared for comments in his defense.

If you're going to allow partial quotes of Trump, be prepared for people providing the full quote.

You have a hair trigger on time outs in the PF, and give warning after warning after warning after warning here. And then do this?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

probably immeasurable, but I wonder how many years of damage has been undone to the environment already due to this virus... and even moreso in 3mos time.

fascinating, and at leats one positive of all this... so long as we're here to enjoy it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Of course this depends on the situation.  In the USA if the supermarkets are full, the money from the govt is coming in, and Netflix is on tv, there won’t be civil unrest, imo. 

In many countries this likely won’t be the case though.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, eoMMan said:

You are coming across very bad here. Please settle down.

(I could describe it much better but don't want the ban).

No he’s not, he’s one of the most reasoned and valuable posters here. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

While people are hanging out at home, they really need to be taking math and epidemiology courses. Maybe then they'll understand this is far bigger than any individual. 

I'm blown away by the number of people setting arbitrary limits to how long they'll comply with containment measures. Why must we be so ####### selfish?

no hes not take that to the bank brohans 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

From the mayor of Tybee Island, GA in response to the GA governor mandating that all public beaches remain open during their shelter in place period. To me this is criminal negligence and the governor should pay for this not only with his political career but jail time. But that’s me and probably won’t happen. Yet another example of why this thing will drag out longer than it needs to and @mr roboto post above will be closer to reality than it needs to be. 

I’ve said from the beginning that this battle will be won at the town/city/state level by quick thinking individuals that are prepared to make hard decisions. This is an example of that internal battle, kinda like fighting within your group when you are all trying to reach the same objective. 

https://twitter.com/jarbomb/status/1246552787573510146?s=21

This is just sheer stupidity IMO. Forcing beaches/businesses/whatever to stay open is the height of arrogance and foolishness. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Oof.

If you're going to allow comments critical of Trump, be prepared for comments in his defense.

If you're going to allow partial quotes of Trump, be prepared for people providing the full quote.

You have a hair trigger on time outs in the PF, and give warning after warning after warning after warning here. And then do this?

@Joe BryantSeriously.  The political commentary has made this thread unreadable the past 24 hours.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Capella said:

No he’s not, he’s one of the most reasoned and valuable posters here. 

Gotta disagree.  He's not helping with the way he's presenting his views.

He's coming across as elitist and quite "d word ends with y....."

Edited by eoMMan

4 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

Oof.

Fbguys is a great message board.  One of the best I’ve ever seen on the internet.  That’s 100% down to moderation, imo.

The above statement was perfect from the moderator. We should be able to rationally discuss govt decisions that affect the coronavirus, without getting political. 

But it’s all in how we say it.

OK criticism might be:

”I’m not a big fan of Trump telling us the CDC recommendations are to wear a mask and then saying he’s not going to wear one”.

That should be allowed here.

Not ok criticism would be referring to non corona virus related issues in his presidency, discussing democrats/republicans (political) issues, and of course using over-the-top adjectives to describe how you feel about him as a person or president.

OK praise might be “I thought that was an excellent press conference”. “I’m glad to see the president letting the country know that dark weeks are ahead”

Not ok praise might be “We should all be thankful that we have president trump, he’s leading us through these difficult days beautifully, and has handled this virus great!”

This shouldn’t be hard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Gotta disagree.  He's not helping.

just stop you are being a jackalope take that to the bank bromigo

Edited by SWC
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Otis said:

It’s eery. It’s also so quiet out. A car every now and then, but mostly listening to birds, more different types of birds, and louder birds, than I’ve ever remembered hearing.  All just very weird. 

Yesterday I walked down an empty Broadway in Soho at lunchtime. Think I heard a clock ticking.

Disagree. I wish I could bring a tenth of his value to this thread.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Coach Morris Buttermaker said:

There will be civil unrest like you have never seen before if we are locked down for 3+ months. Many deaths, every store ransacked. If we are gonna wait until the virus is completely gone (cure, vaccine), there will be no economy to jump start. It will be anarchy.

That's pretty unlikely. I don't think there were those type of riots during the Great Depression, and that was without the specter of a pandemic hanging overhead.

57 minutes ago, glock said:

I hope so, but the lines I saw at the Field & Stream gun counter a couple of weeks back tell me that many are afraid of their neighbors- or projecting that person inside of themselves on to others.

I have a friend who works at Bass Pro.  The only reason they are staying open is that they are crushing gun and ammo sales.  He laughs and rolls his eyes about it.  People are coming in to purchase handguns that have no idea you need a permit. 

2 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

He’s providing valuable info, way more than 99.9% of this thread. If he’s coming off as an elitist it’s probably because he knows more than you about this. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 3
  • Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Only if his comments hit too close to home.

Wow, you guys are really stroking him.  No worries, I'll ignore him.

Peace.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Peace.

i gotta say taking shots at a guy on the front line who despite everything else he is surely going through right now still spends time here trying to truthfully disseminate information is a pretty damned bad look brohan if i were you id just say sorry and hope people forget take that to the bank 

Edited by SWC
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

Chicago Trib had a chart this morning that showed number of new cases per day worldwide.  Essentially, every 3-5 days the number of new cases has jumped up about 10,000.  A couple of weeks ago, we were seeing about 40K a day.  Yesterday was just under 80K (fifth day above 70K/day).  Is 80K+ the new plateau for the next few days?  Will we keep reaching new thresholds above that? Or are we far enough along to have 80K as a peak?  As always, given how truly dynamic this situation is, the new week will be telling.  

1 minute ago, eoMMan said:

Peace.

You do know that you can disagree with him without name calling or insulting.

We aren't supposed to attack the poster in these forums.  Why not point out specifically what you disagree with in his post if that's your opinion and share some links if you have facts that refute him.  Telling someone they are coming across very bad isn't going to promote discussion.  Ditto with telling them to settle down.

Just do a reset and tell us your opinion.  I'm interested in hearing it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

and hey terminalxyz i think i speak for most of here when i say thank you for everything you are doing we all hope you are staying safe and we appreciate it a great deal that you take the time to give us please keep on posting and dont let one laroosh push you away

Edited by SWC
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, SWC said:

and hey terminalxyz i think i speak for most of here when i say thank you for everything you are doing we all hope you are staying safe and we appreciate it a great deal that you take the time to give us 

You can take that to the bank bromingo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

Per CDC:

People with COVID-19 who have stayed home (home isolated) can stop home isolation under the following conditions:

If you will not have a test to determine if you are still contagious, you can leave home after these three things have happened:

You have had no fever for at least 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without the use medicine that reduces fevers)
AND

other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
AND

at least 7 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared

If you will be tested to determine if you are still contagious, you can leave home after these three things have happened:

You no longer have a fever (without the use medicine that reduces fevers)
AND

other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
AND

you received two negative tests in a row, 24 hours apart. Your doctor will follow CDC guidelines.

In all cases, follow the guidance of your healthcare provider and local health department. The decision to stop home isolation should be made in consultation with your healthcare provider and state and local health departments. Local decisions depend on local circumstances.

I have an individual that works for me who went out on quarantine on 3/19. His wife was tested on 3/20. Her positive test was returned on 3/28. He slept every night next to her. Never developed a cough or a fever. Was never tested. Was back to work after fourteen days on 4/2. Cleared by County Dept of Health. Guys he works with were...displeased.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, moleculo said:

Mrs Moleculo has begrudgingly accepted her basement quarantine.  Cough is still there, probably getting worse.  No fever, slightly tired but no other signs of illness.  This is especially tough for her as she is the extrovert of us - I haven't left the house in several days and am totally fine, whereas being confined is really killing her.  For shopping: our oldest is 23 years old - he will be taking care of that.  Heck, if I were to go down, we will enlist him to take care of the kids until we are upright again.  

Regarding the mask discussion: the Mrs. made 5 masks yesterday and is making more today.  Obviously, before wearing them we will do what we can to sterilize them - spray lysol or something.  There have been lots of how-to videos floating aorund on social media, she was able to put some together from left over fabrics.

Downside is my home office was in the basement.  Now, I guess I'm working from the dining room table.    Also, my brewery is in the basement .  :kicksrock:  1st world problems, I know.

The Mrs is out of home quarantine.  She never did get a fever and the cough has gotten better, but not totally gone.  Talked to her doctor and while we can't completely rule out COVID, there really are no other symptoms so its more likely to be a cold or allergies.

Home quarantine has been tough - tough having my wife and the mother of my kids stuck in the basement when she feels completely fine.  Still, i can't help from giving her the look whenever she coughs.

We will continue quarantining the household thru next week, which really isn't different than regular life, i guess.

• Like 4

I don't understand why grocery stores didn't go to online ordering.  For those without internet can call the store.     Grocery store employees pick out the items and deliver it curbside.    I have been doing grocery delivery for a very long time before the pandemic.  Win/Win

3 minutes ago, SWC said:

and hey terminalxyz i think i speak for most of here when i say thank you for everything you are doing we all hope you are staying safe and we appreciate it a great deal that you take the time to give us 

And yet you didn't even give him any banking recommendations. No Bromigo. Not even a brohan?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

[Terminalxylem’s] providing valuable info, way more than 99.9% of this thread. If he’s coming off as an elitist it’s probably because he knows more than you about this. 

I have hesitated to make this point, but believe it to be true deep down:

This pandemic is unusual among public matters in that valuable discourse about it will only come from a very narrow set of perspectives and knowledge bases that are largely in line with one another. There is not a wide spectrum of more or less equally valid opinions on the pandemic.

• Like 3

Just now, NorvilleBarnes said:
5 minutes ago, SWC said:

And yet you didn't even give him any banking recommendations. No Bromigo. Not even a brohan?

he is a brohan thats for damned sure and you can take that to the bank all day long and twice because its sunday 

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I have hesitated to make this point, but believe it to be true deep down:

This pandemic is unusual among public matters in that valuable discourse about it will only come from a very narrow set of perspectives and knowledge bases that are largely in line with one another. There is not a wide spectrum of more or less equally valid opinions on the pandemic.

Wait.... You're telling me the 5G corona towers aren't coming to steal Bill Gates poisoned vaccines?

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

You do know that you can disagree with him without name calling or insulting.

We aren't supposed to attack the poster in these forums.  Why not point out specifically what you disagree with in his post if that's your opinion and share some links if you have facts that refute him.  Telling someone they are coming across very bad isn't going to promote discussion.  Ditto with telling them to settle down.

Just do a reset and tell us your opinion.  I'm interested in hearing it.

Not worth it at this point.  The clique is piling on.

And it wasn't something in particular that I disagreed with, I just thought the way of he was expressing his thoughts was coming across in a very unhelpful manner (calling people ####### selfish, quoting a bible verse to try to prove "few" could be as construed as many as eight, etc.)

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I gotta be honest; golf is one of those activities that should theoretically ok to leave open if the people playing it would be responsible and take careful measures (one per cart, don't pull the flag, don't congregate).   Unfortunately, in my experience, I'm not confident the folks playing golf would be the ones to be extra careful there.  My Dad is in his low 80s and really needs golf in the Spring/Summer/Fall for his mental health.  But, I'm awfully uneasy the old farts at the course would do the right things. :doh:

I see a few responses in this thread about golf, so I guess there's a sort of smattering of opinions already.

But I'm seriously considering going to City Park to walk 9. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Bad idea, dumb, good idea? I might have to purchase at a window, but otherwise by myself, light bag, no cart. Good idea, bad idea?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Yesterday I walked down an empty Broadway in Soho at lunchtime. Think I heard a clock ticking.

My last working day in Midtown was October 15th. I worked on the corner of 39th and 8th. Before that 34th and 5th (not ESB).

The last couple of days I took extra long lunches and walked around all the areas that I'd miss; Times Square, Bryant Park, the view of the MetLife Building and GCT up Park, Madison Square.
It must be unrecognizable now. The line to get to the top of the ESB should be stretched past that awful Sbarro. Times Square would be shoulder to shoulder with tourists debating Bubba Gump or Hard Rock. Every disaster movie in any phase of production should be begging the City to get in, if just for atmosphere shots.

NYC bounced back from 9/11 and will bounce back from this, but it makes me awfully sad to think about the best city on earth these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I see a few responses in this thread about golf, so I guess there's a sort of smattering of opinions already.

But I'm seriously considering going to City Park to walk 9. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Bad idea, dumb, good idea? I might have to purchase at a window, but otherwise by myself, light bag, no cart. Good idea, bad idea?

Is the course open? Seems fine, but if course is closed, the powers that be may come after you.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tool said:

Is the course open? Seems fine, but if course is closed, the powers that be may come after you.

Yeah I heard this Friday that it is open but I still haven't checked it out. The website says nothing. 

- eta - per WWL they're open.

7 minutes ago, moleculo said:

The Mrs is out of home quarantine.  She never did get a fever and the cough has gotten better, but not totally gone.  Talked to her doctor and while we can't completely rule out COVID, there really are no other symptoms so its more likely to be a cold or allergies.

Home quarantine has been tough - tough having my wife and the mother of my kids stuck in the basement when she feels completely fine.  Still, i can't help from giving her the look whenever she coughs.

We will continue quarantining the household thru next week, which really isn't different than regular life, i guess.

Still not enough tests?  

6 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

I don't understand why grocery stores didn't go to online ordering.  For those without internet can call the store.     Grocery store employees pick out the items and deliver it curbside.    I have been doing grocery delivery for a very long time before the pandemic.  Win/Win

Because you don't if I want bananas and avocados for tonight or 4 days from now.  You don't know the size of baked potatoes I like.  You don't know it that boston butt is going to strike my fancy and create an idea necessitating other items.  You don't know the 6 things I've forgotten on my list that I'll remember once I walk past them.

But that's just me....

The reality is that stores having been moving away from employees being involved in check out.  Having them do the shopping seems is going to greatly increase labor costs.  Until there's a warehouse with automation picking the orders, I don't see employees shopping being cost effective.  Sure you're average FBG can afford to pay for it, but lots of people can't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I wouldn't see it as a problem. Is it exposing yourself to a little more risk. Sure. BUt as long as you are not living or interacting with anyone immunocompromised, or 70+ y.o. or some such I cn't see much potential for harm onto others. Obviously don't hang out and chat over beers etc afterwards

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Tom Dempsey has died.

- I have a signed autograph from him. Before Drew Brees he was the closest any Saint every got to the NFL record book. Still an amazing moment in NO sports history.

- RIP big guy. - Loveya.

• Sad 9

5 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

Mine already had online ordering with delivery or curbside pickup for a long time before all of this. The other day, I attempted to place an order for curbside pickup and was given a ready time of 5 days out. 

The labor required for everyone to have their own personal shopper would be insane.  

Just now, BassNBrew said:

The labor required for everyone to have their own personal shopper would be insane.  

Amazon seems to be doing alright, though

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Tom Dempsey has died.

- I have a signed autograph from him. Before Drew Brees he was the closest any Saint every got to the NFL record book. Still an amazing moment in NO sports history.

- RIP big guy. - Loveya.

I miss the posts being on the field.  Thanks for sharing the clip.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, msommer said:

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Amazon seems to be doing alright, though

I've seen them in the Whole Foods.  How much does that service cost?  Do you mind giving me a quick run down?

Part of Amazons model is to underprice and drive out the competition.

16 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Interestingly,  looking at Florida's numbers, after a jump of 43 new deaths on Thursday, the last 2 days have been 26 and 25 new deaths respectfully.

Their new cases the last 2 days has been 1277 and 1260. No idea if this due to them catching up on testing backlog or what.

@AlexBerenson: Florida hospital update: Another 1300 beds opened up overnight, the hospitals are now almost half-empty. ICU beds flat. https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1246770148813549569/photo/1

• Like 3

Has this been answered already? Sorry if I missed it, but I read this from a friend and am wondering the answer to it myself.

"I don’t get the “wear a mask made out of fabric” thing. Every article and specification I’ve read says fabric does nothing to stop the inhalation of the virus. The virus particle is too small. That’s why N95 was the initial recommended mask until people started hoarding and exhausted the supply. It DOES filter out the virus. So, is this fabric mask thing just a way to encourage community, to help people feel included and in control, giving folks a false sense of security, even though it’s useless and just for show? Or am I somehow misunderstanding the facts? And if any of the masks are effective, where are the instructions for the proper usage? It does no good to wear the same one repeatedly. I believe masks (and gloves) need to be changed out after every encounter. Otherwise, if the mask becomes contaminated but continually worn, doesn’t that just spread the contamination further which now makes the mask the culprit?"

• Like 1