What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Am just calling it like I see it.  I appreciated and thanked you for posting the earlier article refuting the ABC News (?) reporting that this virus began in November.  I realize she is a doctor and I realize doctors have wide latitude in assigning cause of death, but it is a VERY long leap from there to: all these doctors are wrongly attributing this to Covid because 1) they can and 2) I can't find any facebook friends in Montana who know someone impacted.

Hope you see WHY I felt the need to respond as I did.  We ALL have to be skeptical of things that challenge our pre-conceived notions and more open to things that challenge them.  That's why I was open to watching a few minutes
Yeah, I think she was trying to be "folksy" at the beginning with her Facebook example.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you on being skeptical, that's what drew my attention to her video in the first place.  I don't think we're ever going to get a true accounting of the numbers from this thing.

German antibody study suggest fatality rate of 0.37%

Thoughts?  That's in the ballpark of what I expected.  More studies ongoing, but at least data is beginning to come in and this type of analysis is starting to be done.  This was from a ~1000 person study.  They are also currently working on a 100,000 person study.
My line is still currently .1 to .5.  Others disagree

FWIW I remember reading the other day that CDC is unaware of anyone being infected by touching a contaminated surface. 
I'd buy this too.  They only know what the testing and surveys reveal.  Given that we are so far behind in testing it doesn't surprise me.  If I'm being honest, it seems like the ONLY way she could have gotten it at this point.  We just can't figure out how she would have otherwise, which is kinda why I am still thinking it's NOT Covid-19.

Where is this idea that NY numbers are getting better coming from???
Hospitalizations, ICU admissions and intubations are down significantly, while hospitalization discharges are significantly higher.

Also the number of beds (total and ICU) that they ended up needed was significantly lower than any of the projections, even the best case scenario projections. They also have all of the ventilators they have needed.

Always try provide a link source when possible, but these numbers came straight from Cuomo's briefing which was around 60 minutes ago from this post.

Having said that, 799 deaths were reported, which is horrible obviously. The IHME model projected 780 and projects today will be the peak day, although a plateau with that many per day for the next few days is possible and equally terrible.

I think an overall rate is unhelpful in this case.

Overall, it's likely in the ballpark.  Flu, for example, is around .1...but that .1 is reasonable consistent across most age groups although it increases on the higher end.

This coronavirus is extremely dangerous for folks who are older, or who have pre-existing conditions, and especially dangerous for folks in both camps.

It'd be like saying that the overall death rate from a virus is less than .1%, but for those with red hair it's 90%.  In this case, the number doesn't quite tell a meaningful story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hospitalizations, ICU admissions and intubations are down significantly, while hospitalization discharges are significantly higher.

Also the number of beds (total and ICU) that they ended up needed was significantly lower than any of the projections, even the best case scenario projections. They also have all of the ventilators they have needed.

Always try provide a link source when possible, but these numbers came straight from Cuomo's briefing which was around 60 minutes ago from this post.

Having said that, 799 deaths were reported, which is horrible obviously. The IHME model projected 780 and projects today will be the peak day, although a plateau with that many per day for the next few days is possible and equally terrible.
They aren't down, they are flat.  Hospitalizations were up 1% (which is great news but not down).  

Yeah, I think she was trying to be "folksy" at the beginning with her Facebook example.  

I wholeheartedly agree with you on being skeptical, that's what drew my attention to her video in the first place.  I don't think we're ever going to get a true accounting of the numbers from this thing.
Not sure what you mean by "true accounting" but I am confident we will be able to state a reasonable range with a high degree of accuracy and we'll be able to do it fairly quickly EVEN as we continuously refine that number and reduce the range around it.  There are many ways to get at this and none are perfect, but together they will converge on the above mentioned "reasonable range."  Sadly what will happen next is that people on both sides of the political aisle will fight over it.  Some may even sincerely state "I don't think we're ever going to get a true accounting of the numbers from this thing."   

Something in Commish post I was thinking about.  Have you guys noticed a higher level of traffic lately?  I've actually cut it back personally, haven't left the house in awhile.

But I've heard anecdotally that it's very busy out there.

None of the models build in what happens if Americans start taking this less seriously.  But I have a feeling that's what could happen.

As an example, in my area springtime weather has been here for about a week.  I've heard anecdotal reports of it being much busier over the past week.  If true, we should see a spike in cases happen about a week from now. 

Something to consider.  All the models have this really nice-looking curve that goes up and slowly goes down to zero.  Reality is likely to be nothing like this, unless everyone is in their homes.  And that appears to not be happening.

How is it in your area?
not at all my experience for traffic in my area - maybe 30-40% compared to normal during working hours and much less than that in the evenings.

Not sure what you mean by "true accounting" but I am confident we will be able to state a reasonable range with a high degree of accuracy and we'll be able to do it fairly quickly EVEN as we continuously refine that number and reduce the range around it.  There are many ways to get at this and none are perfect, but together they will converge on the above mentioned "reasonable range."  Sadly what will happen next is that people on both sides of the political aisle will fight over it.  Some may even sincerely state "I don't think we're ever going to get a true accounting of the numbers from this thing."   
That was unnecessary.

But anyway on to other things..

New study investigates California's possible herd immunity to Covid

Researchers at Stanford Medicine are working to find out what proportion of Californians have already had COVID-19. The new study could help policymakers make more informed decisions during the coronavirus pandemic.

The team tested 3,200 people at three Bay Area locations on Saturday using an antibody test for COVID-19 and expect to release results in the coming weeks. The data could help to prove COVID-19 arrived undetected in California much earlier than previously thought.

The hypothesis that COVID-19 first started spreading in California in the fall of 2019 is one explanation for the state’s lower than expected case numbers.

As of Tuesday, the state had 374 reported COVID-19 fatalities in a state of 40 million people, compared to New York which has seen 14 times as many fatalities and has a population half that of California. Social distancing could be playing a role but New York’s stay-at-home order went into effect on March 22, three days after California implemented its order.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
This is friggin brilliant if true, thank you. And thank you MIT. If this is actually possible it should be repeated all over the country. A way to get the data rapidly without having to wait to test that level of the population and without the amount of time or availability of that number of tests. I've always figured some brilliant minds would get us answers far quicker than imagined. Hopefully this is accurate and holds up to scrutiny. 

Something in Commish post I was thinking about.  Have you guys noticed a higher level of traffic lately?  I've actually cut it back personally, haven't left the house in awhile.

But I've heard anecdotally that it's very busy out there.

None of the models build in what happens if Americans start taking this less seriously.  But I have a feeling that's what could happen.

As an example, in my area springtime weather has been here for about a week.  I've heard anecdotal reports of it being much busier over the past week.  If true, we should see a spike in cases happen about a week from now. 

Something to consider.  All the models have this really nice-looking curve that goes up and slowly goes down to zero.  Reality is likely to be nothing like this, unless everyone is in their homes.  And that appears to not be happening.

How is it in your area?
Traffic might be an indicator that something is off, but it might not be the best indicator. If a guy is taking a ride alone in his car, chances of being exposed, or exposing others is very limited. If he on the other hands drives to a destination, does something, and then goes home, the the equation changes. It may still not be super bad, if there is plenty of distance to other people. Going stir crazy is a real possibility and a drive may alleviate that somewhat. 
I did my thoughts a disservice with my words.  I shouldn't have said traffic.  Yes, traffic is still normal around here and I can see logic behind why that might be.  Many of those things presented in this thread already.  My thoughts were more around the people out and about.  Lowes and Home Depot lots are packed with people.  All the drive throughs have Chic-Fil-A level lines etc.  Our Sams is only allowing X amount of people in the stores at a time right now....as a result long lines outside waiting to get in.  That sort of stuff.  I compare that to other areas of the world where slam packed streets look like ghost towns...the pictures are creepy actually.  THOSE are shutdowns and many of those are areas that don't have a significant problem.  A friend of mine lives in a town close to the South China Sea.  His town had approx 2 dozen cases with one fatality (updated from last week).  His town is on complete lock down STILL...has been since January.  They haven't been allowed to go anywhere unless its an emergency.  When all this was ramping up over there, his two block walk to the "Burger King" had him go through 4-5 temperature checks and only one person from the family was allowed out of the building at a time.  Then it moved to "delivery only" and has been that way for months now.

This woman sounds like an idiot and I only listened to 5 minutes.  Horrible.
Maybe Minnesota State Senator (and Physician) Dr. Scott Jensen is more your speed? - Interview with Channel 4 news embed

Direct link to the video

In his interview he postulates that we are (in his words) "Jazzing up the fear factor"

Dr. Scott Jensen is both a physician and a Minnesota state senator. Yesterday he was interviewed by a local television station and dropped a bombshell: he, and presumably all other Minnesota doctors, got a seven-page letter from the Minnesota Department of Health that gave guidance on how to classify COVID-19 deaths. The letter said that if a patient died of, e.g., pneumonia, and was believed to have been exposed to COVID-19, the death certificate should say that COVID-19 was the cause of death even though the patient was never tested, or never tested positive, for that disease.

Dr. Jensen found this to be irregular and contrary to the usual practice for filling out death certificates. It seems intended to inflate the number of (Covid) deaths; it is hard to see any other potential purpose. The most entertaining thing about the exchange is the shock expressed by the interviewer. 

Re: the sewage study. I'd probably say put a wide range around that estimate but I know other countries have done similar analysis as surveillance for polio. No reason to think it can't be a valid approach
Yep, further reading seems to confirm the validity. It needs to be repeated in other places to get a better feel for the accuracy of estimates and to narrow the range of outcomes. The ability to gather such a large sampling of the population so efficiently is very exciting and could prove to be a huge step forward.

• Smile
Here's hoping! 🤞

I read a lot of positive comments about the CERB application process and how easy they made it for everyone. 3 questions, or something and then a confirmation you'll have money in 3 days.  Nice job by all involved if this is the case.  it's on the honor system too. How Canadian is that! 
Yup, know multiple people who have already received the funding. 

The penalties will apparently be very harsh for fraudsters, but we'll see if that actually happens. 

Anyways the process was apparently unbelievably easy and fast, no crashed and funds issues immediately @$2000/mnth

8,766 new cases and 799 deaths are horrible numbers.  It's almost certainly semantics, but I prefer to say that the numbers aren't declining as badly as they were...but saying "Things are improving" is a recipe for disaster as it could cause people to let their guard down.

An example of transmitting the virus via contact with an item contaminated with the virus:

Pass the salt: The minute details that helped Germany build virus defenses

Pass the salt: The minute details that helped Germany build virus defenses
Reuters    
By Jörn Poltz and Paul Carrel
Reuters•April 9, 2020

By Jörn Poltz and Paul Carrel

MUNICH (Reuters) - One January lunchtime in a car parts company, a worker turned to a colleague and asked to borrow the salt.

As well as the saltshaker, in that instant, they shared the new coronavirus, scientists have since concluded.

That their exchange was documented at all is the result of intense scrutiny, part of a rare success story in the global fight against the virus.

The co-workers were early links in what was to be the first documented chain of multiple human-to-human transmissions outside Asia of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

They are based in Stockdorf, a German town of 4,000 near Munich in Bavaria, and they work at car parts supplier Webasto Group. The company was thrust under a global microscope after it disclosed that one of its employees, a Chinese woman, caught the virus and brought it to Webasto headquarters. There, it was passed to colleagues - including, scientists would learn, a person lunching in the canteen with whom the Chinese patient had no contact.

The Jan. 22 canteen scene was one of dozens of mundane incidents that scientists have logged in a medical manhunt to trace, test and isolate infected workers so that the regional government of Bavaria could stop the virus from spreading.

That hunt has helped Germany win crucial time to build its COVID-19 defences.

The time Germany bought may have saved lives, scientists say. Its first outbreak of locally transmitted COVID-19 began earlier than Italy's, but Germany has had many fewer deaths. Italy's first detected local transmission was on Feb. 21. By then Germany had kicked off a health ministry information campaign and a government strategy to tackle the virus which would hinge on widespread testing. In Germany so far, more than 2,100 people have died of COVID-19. In Italy, with a smaller population, the total exceeds 17,600.

CHART: Contrasting curves https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/GERMANY-DEFENCES/jbyprxngpeo/index.html

"We learned that we must meticulously trace chains of infection in order to interrupt them," Clemens Wendtner, the doctor who treated the Munich patients, told Reuters.

Wendtner teamed up with some of Germany's top scientists to tackle what became known as the 'Munich cluster,' and they advised the Bavarian government on how to respond. Bavaria led the way with the lockdowns, which went nationwide on March 22.

Scientists including England's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty have credited Germany's early, widespread testing with slowing the spread of the virus. "'We all know Germany got ahead in terms of its ability to do testing for the virus and there's a lot to learn from that,'" he said on TV earlier this week.

Christian Drosten, the top virologist at Berlin's Charite hospital, said Germany was helped by having a clear early cluster. "Because we had this Munich cohort right at the start ... it became clear that with a big push we could inhibit this spreading further," he said in a daily podcast for NDR radio on the coronavirus.

Drosten, who declined to be interviewed for this story, was one of more than 40 scientists involved in scrutiny of the cluster. Their work was documented in preliminary form in a working paper at the end of last month. The paper, not yet peer-reviewed, was shared on the NDR site.

ELECTRONIC DIARIES

It was on Monday, Jan. 27, that Holger Engelmann, Webasto's CEO, told the authorities that one of his employees had tested positive for the new coronavirus. The woman, who was based in Shanghai, had facilitated several days of workshops and attended meetings at Webasto's HQ.

The woman's parents, from Wuhan, had visited her before she travelled on Jan. 19 to Stockdorf, the paper said. While in Germany, she felt unusual chest and back aches and was tired for her whole stay. But she put the symptoms down to jet lag.

She became feverish on the return flight to China, tested positive after landing and was hospitalised. Her parents also later tested positive. She told her managers of the result and they emailed the CEO.

In Germany, Engelmann said he immediately set up a crisis team that alerted the medical authorities and started trying to trace staff members who had been in contact with their Chinese colleague.

The CEO himself was among them. "Just four or five days before I received the news, I had shaken hands with her," he said.

Now known as Germany's "Case #0," the Shanghai patient is a "long-standing, proven employee from project management" who Engelmann knows personally, he told Reuters. The company has not revealed her identity or that of others involved, saying anonymity has encouraged staff to co-operate in Germany's effort to contain the virus.

The task of finding who had contact with her was made easier by Webasto workers' electronic calendars – for the most part, all the doctors needed was to look at staff appointments.

"It was a stroke of luck," said Wendtner, the doctor who treated the Munich patients. "We got all the information we needed from the staff to reconstruct the chains of infection."

For example, case #1 - the first person in Germany to be infected by the Chinese woman - sat next to her in a meeting in a small room on Jan. 20, the scientists wrote.

Where calendar data was incomplete, the scientists said, they were often able to use whole genome sequencing, which analyses differences in the genetic code of the virus from different patients, to map its spread.

By following all these links, they discovered that case #4 had been in contact several times with the Shanghai patient. Then case #4 sat back-to-back with a colleague in the canteen.

When that colleague turned to borrow the salt, the scientists deduced, the virus passed between them. The colleague became case #5.

Webasto said on Jan. 28 it was temporarily closing its Stockdorf site. Between Jan. 27 and Feb. 11, a total of 16 COVID-19 cases were identified in the Munich cluster. All but one were to develop symptoms.

All those who tested positive were sent to hospital so they could be observed and doctors could learn from the disease.

Bavaria closed down public life in mid-March. Germany has since closed schools, shops, restaurants, playgrounds and sports facilities, and many companies have shut to aid the cause.

HAMMER AND DANCE

This is not to say Germany has defeated COVID-19.

Its coronavirus death rate of 1.9%, based on data collated by Reuters, is the lowest among the countries most affected and compares with 12.6% in Italy. But experts say more deaths in Germany are inevitable.

"The death rate will rise," said Lothar Wieler, president of Germany's Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases.

The difference between Germany and Italy is partly statistical: Germany's rate seems so much lower because it has tested widely. Germany has carried out more than 1.3 million tests, according to the Robert Koch Institute. It is now carrying out up to 500,000 tests a week, Drosten said. Italy has conducted more than 807,000 tests since Feb. 21, according to its Civil Protection Agency. With a few local exceptions, Italy only tests people taken to hospital with clear and severe symptoms.

Germany's government is using the weeks gained by the Munich experience to double the number of intensive care beds from about 28,000. The country already has Europe's highest number of critical care beds per head of the population, according to a 2012 study.

Even that may not be enough, however. An Interior Ministry paper sent to other government departments on March 22 included a worst-case scenario with more than 1 million deaths.

Another scenario saw 12,000 deaths - with more testing after partial relaxation of restrictions. That scenario was dubbed "hammer and dance," a term coined by blogger Tomas Pueyo. It refers to the 'hammer' of quick aggressive measures for some weeks, including heavy social distancing, followed by the 'dance' of calibrating such measures depending on the transmission rate.

The German government paper argued that in the 'hammer and dance' scenario, the use of big data and location tracking is inevitable. Such monitoring is already proving controversial in Germany, where memories of the East German Stasi secret police and its informants are still fresh in the minds of many.

A subsequent draft action plan compiled by the government proposes the rapid tracing of infection chains, mandatory mask-wearing in public and limits on gatherings to help enable a phased return to normal life after Germany's lockdown. The government is backing the development of a smartphone app to help trace infections.

Germany has said it will re-evaluate the lockdown after the Easter holiday; for the car parts maker at the heart of its first outbreak, the immediate crisis is over. Webasto's office has reopened.

All 16 people who caught COVID-19 there have recovered.

(This version of story edits final paragraph of top section)

(Joern Poltz reported from Munich, Paul Carrel from Berlin; Additional reporting by Markus Wacket in Berlin and Gavin Jones in Rome; Edited by Sara Ledwith)

Not sure if serious, but I could see how it could be approached.  You measure amount of fecal matter in sewage to try and determine population.  Then try to asses how much CV is in the sewage and draw proportionate conclusions.

I have no idea if Im on the mark or in a different solar system, but it sounds like a novel, and out of the box, way of thinking about it.

To be fair, 100k isn't the worst guess in the world for Mass.  They are reporting 16k.  That likely means another 16k-30k are in the incubation stage or the stage where they may not have gotten tested yet.  Then you double that number to account for "asymptomatic" or missed cases...I can see it just from a numbers standpoint, regardless of whether we can determine numbers by sampling sewage.

Will be interesting to see how different leagues handle all of this.

MLB with the "biosphere" style of having teams all in one area and the ability to have players sit far enough apart. Also the use of electronic strike zone :thumbup:   But they have to wait til testing is beyond widely available so there is not even a hint of..."hey they get all the tests when people who need it can't".

NHL will be the tough one...how to deal with mass line changes and still keep distancing then...plus that and soccer require close play and contact...where baseball mostly doesn't.

I think an overall rate is unhelpful in this case.

Overall, it's likely in the ballpark.  Flu, for example, is around .1...but that .1 is reasonable consistent across most age groups although it increases on the higher end.

This coronavirus is extremely dangerous for folks who are older, or who have pre-existing conditions, and especially dangerous for folks in both camps.

It'd be like saying that the overall death rate from a virus is less than .1%, but for those with red hair it's 90%.  In this case, the number doesn't quite tell a meaningful story.
Agree.  I can be helpful or unhelpful depending on what you want to project.  If you want to model total deaths in the US, it is the correct metric.

If you want to model deaths in NYC, its a poor metric.

I think what we are going to see in the US is that due to our countries vast open space, the rural areas will have a tremendously low mortality.  For the condensed urban areas, the rate will be much higher.

I'm also in the camp that the virus was here much earlier than being reported and I also believe there are a tremendous amount of asymptomatic folks.

Not sure if serious, but I could see how it could be approached.  You measure amount of fecal matter in sewage to try and determine population.  Then try to asses how much CV is in the sewage and draw proportionate conclusions.

I have no idea if Im on the mark or in a different solar system, but it sounds like a novel, and out of the box, way of thinking about it.
It's sounding like it may be legit, so it will be a very helpful and welcome tool if it's reasonably accurate.

I'm also quite interested in how they calculate it.

Maybe they pull a sample every x minutes and extrapolate to match it to the population count they estimate is contributing to that sewage flow.

But there would seem to be a ton of variables... e.g. do sick people with diarrhea go to the bathroom more often and show up more often in the samples?

• Thanks
Agree.  I can be helpful or unhelpful depending on what you want to project.  If you want to model total deaths in the US, it is the correct metric.

If you want to model deaths in NYC, its a poor metric.

I think what we are going to see in the US is that due to our countries vast open space, the rural areas will have a tremendously low mortality.  For the condensed urban areas, the rate will be much higher.

I'm also in the camp that the virus was here much earlier than being reported and I also believe there are a tremendous amount of asymptomatic folks.
It depends not on population density, but on the age and health of those affected.

If in rural areas, there are major church centers where virus can be spread, and those in the rural areas are older, overweight, diabetic hypertensives with lung issues, they'll have issues.

I think if we're doing more in-depth analyses of death rather than a 300 million times the average death rate, just to get a thumb in the air estimate, we have to look at population density in terms of the spread, and the age and health of the population in terms of the severity.

African american communities are being hit particularly hard, as in some areas this demographic suffers, as you get older, from some chronic issues that put you at higher risk of death from this disease.  So for example, cities with higher population densities, or higher social contact, with higher concentrations of african americans (think new orleans) will have a higher mortality rate than cities with higher population densities, younger overall population average, and healthier folks.  Also likely will be tied to socio-economic statuses of folks too, not just race, gender and underlying health concerns.

If you look at the data from NY that was linked to above, and look at the breakdown of folks who have died within the past day, there is a STARK difference between folks dying with comorbitiies and those without.  Like, more than  10:1 ratio, maybe more like 20:1.  That's hugely important in how we as a society deal with this virus/disease, and how we do estimates of impact.

Sounds great but don't know about this line - "Whatever, I don’t know the full breadth and scope because I’m not a physician."  

Look I think they should be giving that drug to everyone who doesn't have risk factors for it since anecdotal evidence but don't think it is a silver bullet some make it out to be.  I also hope I am completely wrong and it is one.   

Yes - this article has been picked up by every conspiracy site there is. And just to clarify, Medium is nothing more than a blog host, in a way. Anyone can upload their "essays"

• Smile
Stop, I can only get so erect.

All kidding aside, this reads like Covid-19 porn. If even a fraction of this turns out to be true, it's going to be amazing to see the fallout.

Have to wonder though why the original article has disappeared.
this ties into the video of the NYC ER doc basically saying the same thing, that ventilators are NOT the answer to this. 

I am friendly (though hockey) with the head of a local hospitals Hyperbaric chamber and he claims that he has been raising the issue of using that to fight this and cant get anywhere with it. 

Maybe this will add some levity to the thread.  Last night the wife and I were sitting outside enjoying the warm weather we were having in Northeast Ohio and having a couple drinks.  She had a little bit of a mini-emotional breakdown.  It wasn't pretty.  Did my best to try to get her out of it, but that just proceeded to have her lash out at me.  She ended up going to bed and I sat outside and drank the rest of my bourbon while wondering how after 20+ years, I still haven't figured that woman out.  (I'm getting to the humorous part, I promise)..

This morning I wake up on the couch.  I don't remember going to bed on the couch.. Or actually going to bed if I'm being honest...  I look out our bay window and it's freaking snowing!  It is coming down HEAVY!  No one else is home but me.  For a few groggy, just coming out of sleep / hungover seconds I contemplated whether I had slept through the summer.  For a split second I had sheer panic, followed by relief as the analyst voice in my head said "Well, at least you would be a couple months closer to being through this pandemic". Then I remembered that I live in Northeast Ohio and this is pretty typical.  

I'm never going to make it through this pandemic.   :lmao: :lmao:

this ties into the video of the NYC ER doc basically saying the same thing, that ventilators are NOT the answer to this. 

I am friendly (though hockey) with the head of a local hospitals Hyperbaric chamber and he claims that he has been raising the issue of using that to fight this and cant get anywhere with it. 
Feels like the breakthroughs and the correct info being spread is just around the corner. Too many minds working on this to not have the right answers soon.

Hack science.  Articles like this should not be linked because there's no background on the author.  The site has the following disclaimer:

Anyone can publish on Medium per our Policies, but we don’t fact-check every story. For more info about the coronavirus, see cdc.gov.

I saw it yesterday in another forum and an MD responded with the following:

nonsense.
i just took care of a patient with unilateral infiltrates, pos covid 19 and ARDS pos criteria.
even with a small infiltrate, one can observe  ARDS criteria in terms of p/f ratios. this happens because of shunting - when secondary to inflammation in those infiltrated regions, bloodflow is disproportionately diverted there, where no air exchange is happening.
as ace-2 receptors are accessible to the virus ONLY in alveoli, it makes sense that the alveoli are the primary battleground where inflammation leading to respiratory failure occurs.

Doctors want to save lives. If this works, they will start using it.

Conspiracy theories are going crazy on the internet right now.  The idea that the miracle solution is right around the corner or is being hidden is absurd.

I'm sure it would be without spectators. 
I hoping/expecting other leagues -- maybe a lot of leagues -- to do the same thing eventually if they can get player buy in.

Quarantine so you know everyone's clean.  Then locate them centrally, like an Olympic village.  And keep everyone in one place for each stretch of time.  Basically like a long road trip at a time without the actual travel, with testing in-between each phase.

Users who are viewing this thread