What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Agree.  At one point a few months back, 80% of my sons class was home with the flu or a virus like the flu.  a huge percentage of the entire school was ill.  Didn't think much about it at the time, but that is odd and definitely not the norm
Yeah.  I was looking back and in November, a lot of schools in our state closed for a day or two due to the flu.

I'm not suggesting it was Covid-19.  I'm suggesting this year has been an unusual level of infection of various diseases.  Covid-19 seems to be a completely other level though.

It is pretty clear your  not  a Dr.  How hard is it to say otherwise, others have asked and all you do is get snarky with them.  I could Google like you, but I don't need to.  So keep me on ignore if you're not going to answer and I'll keep ignoring you.  But I will continue to laugh at your fear mongering.
Unlike the nuances of antibody testing, it seems like you've figured me out. But for the sake of clarity, they don't revoke internet access in medical school.

Although the early symptoms of Covid-19 aren't especially noteworthy, the findings in more advanced disease are. As others have posted, it creates an unusual flavor of ARDS, which sometimes is manageable with prolonged ventilation/ECMO, but right at the point when patients seem to be turning the corner, they die of cardiac complications. I can think of no other disease which progresses in such a way. I can assure you this would garner attention, and lead to extra autopsies to investigate the deaths, at the minimum.

I don't think you're giving medical personnel enough credit to recognize something is awry. 
I do believe that until an issue is raised by the masses it doesn't get that level of scrutiny. Now it will. Once the digging is done I believe you see that those cases missed in Dec-Feb will be uncovered. And my opinion based on the backs of people like Dr. John Ioannidis is that this has been around since December at the latest. If you want to know more about his level of expertise have a look...

https://profiles.stanford.edu/john-ioannidis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ioannidis

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=JiiMY_wAAAAJ&hl=en

So when it comes to giving the medical personnel enough credit to recognize what was awry, I simply say that there are those who are very well credentialed who think they did miss this as it was happening early on. You certainly are aware of the occasions prior when extensive studies in post that reveal previously unexpected results.

We. Shall. See.

My coworker said he got his stimulus money direct deposited today - $3400.  $1200 for himself, $1200 for his wife, and $500 each for his 2 kids.

That said, I have a question if anyone can answer it.  My brother owes back child support payments, and the IRS has taken all of his return each of the last 3 years.  Can they take his stimulus money too?
Reduced or not at all from a quick Google of “stimulus check back due child support.”

Agree, of course it would be much worse if we didn’t have these measures. 

Also, a lot of NIMBY going on. First, China’s problem, then Italy’s problem and now NY’s problem. Wish people would realize it is more then just a problem of someone else and really all our problem. 
Yep, and all this is gonna feed into xenophobia and political divisiveness already rampart in rural versus urban America.

Yeah.  I was looking back and in November, a lot of schools in our state closed for a day or two due to the flu.

I'm not suggesting it was Covid-19.  I'm suggesting this year has been an unusual level of infection of various diseases.  Covid-19 seems to be a completely other level though.
Actually it is not, in kids it doesn't affect Them much, low grade fever and feeling tired.  Still enough for parents to worry and call them in sick.

The only reason for hospitals being overwhelmed is because of the media.  The caused this crap storm.
Oh, so it's the media that made the jump from bat to human sometime last year. It's the media that spread in every direction to the point that nations across the globe are in lockdown in efforts to not have Spanish Flu 2: Electric Flugaloo playing to packed hospitals. Do you realize just how that point sounds? This is not a media invention.

Non-China Reported Cases

2/7 - 277 reported cases

2/12 - 490 reported cases

2/17 - 893 reported cases -  5 dead 

2/22 - 1,834 reported cases - 19 dead

2/26 - 3,650 reported cases - 57 dead

2/29 - 7,155 reported cases - 109 dead - USA 68 cases - 1 dead

3/5 - 17,353 reported cases - 344 dead - USA 210 cases - 12 dead

3/9 - 33,303 reported cases - 881 dead - USA 628 cases - 26 dead

3/13 - 64,567 reported cases - 2,239 dead - USA 2,269 cases - 48 dead

3/18 - 138,059 reported cases - 5,715 dead - USA 9,301 cases - 152 dead

3/22 - 255,584 reported cases - 11,350 dead - USA 33,346 cases - 414 dead

3/27 - 514,956 reported cases - 24,048 dead - USA 104,126 cases - 1,695 dead

4/2 - 932,707 reported cases - 49,664 dead - USA  244,320 cases - 5,897 dead 

4/6 - 1,264,826 reported cases - 71,366 dead - USA 367,004 cases - 10,871 dead

4/7 - 1,349,179 reported cases - 78,703 dead - USA 400,335 cases - 12,841 dead

4/8 - 1,435,929 reported cases - 85,121 dead - USA 434,698 cases - 14,787 dead

4/9 - 1,521,741 reported cases - 92,380 dead - USA 468,566 cases - 16,691 dead - Active USA cases 425,947

4/10 - 1,615,613 reported cases - 99,349 dead - USA 502,036 cases - 18,717 dead - Active USA cases 456,080

4/11 - 1,698,260 reported cases - 105,487 dead - USA 532,879 cases - 20,577 dead - Active USA cases 481,849 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-J_vry7rclLIGooJ-Cu7OFH8rRRjB51lz1iGkwcTETc/edit#gid=0

Reduced or not at all from a quick Google of “stimulus check back due child support.”
Thanx for googling.  He said he doesn't expect to see anything, but I kind of assumed this stimulus money is emergency bucks for people to pay rent, but groceries, etc.  Would be ####ty for the government to take it.

Oh, so it's the media that made the jump from bat to human sometime last year. It's the media that spread in every direction to the point that nations across the globe are in lockdown in efforts to not have Spanish Flu 2: Electric Flugaloo playing to packed hospitals. Do you realize just how that point sounds? This is not a media invention.
It most certainly is.  Where is your data to suggest otherwise?

This is a sad reality. My dad had a heart attack last year. He rushed to the hospital.  Was minutes from dying.  He’s fine now.

That indecision makes people ask “should I go?  What if I catch covid-19?? If my dad had spent ten minutes debating whether he should go to the hospital he would have died.

Imo that’s a big reason why that’s happening. People aren’t going to the hospital like normal. So sad to see.
This is certainly true, but don't discount the possibility people are dying from arrhythmias caused by viral involvement of the heart.

The wife 1/2 of our closest "couples friends" here in Evanston was just confirmed as positive for COVID-19.   She helps run a nursing home,
Just making a joke here, but how is that supposed to read?  Is that wife 1 out of 2, or is it half the wife, ... please help here 

Really thought most people would have gotten over the "it's not a big deal" thing when we hit 2000 deaths in one day.

Anyway, for those of you doing grocery delivery/instacart type stuff there's a new app (well, at least new here) that's kind of like postmates, but they assign you a shopper.  That person will go get whatever you need from whatever store is open, or take out from a restaurant, whatever.  Unless you agree, you don't get anyone else.   

Its all suicides and overdoses, right?

I'm not taking away anyone who died from this.  But this is the second biggest hoax of the last two thousand years.  And by hoax I mean anything under .75 death rate even though posters are saying this is anywhere from 1-14%.  When all is done the death rate will be .3-.5.  Who do you think created this hoax?

Thanx for googling.  He said he doesn't expect to see anything, but I kind of assumed this stimulus money is emergency bucks for people to pay rent, but groceries, etc.  Would be ####ty for the government to take it.
Naw, that’s been the deal since they passed dead beat dad legislation early in the Dubya administration. Payroll has been one of my departments for 20+ years, I don’t ever do it but they report to me, and so I’m aware of how draconian they are about enforcement because we always have a few employees we get notices for. Somebody new starts and within two weeks the state (ANY state) is compelling us to garnish their wages. And if baby momma wants to lock them up, the interest & penalties keep accumulating while they’re in jail.

NEVER, ever get behind on support, the state will dog you until you die.

/sidebar 

I'm not taking away anyone who died from this.  But this is the second biggest hoax of the last two thousand years.  And by hoax I mean anything under .75 death rate even though posters are saying this is anywhere from 1-14%.  When all is done the death rate will be .3-.5.  Who do you think created this hoax?
The dead people?

If you have a rapidly spreading novel disease even with a low mortality rate, you have massive numbers of deaths since there is no immunity, to therapeutic treatment and no vaccine.  Let's do math.    If 60% of the world's population contracts this "it's just the flu" and 1% of them die, that's 40+ million people.   That's on par with a World War.   Anyone that claims "media hoax" is either trolling or horrendously uninformed.  

First, this isn't a hoax. A hoax is defined as a humorous or malicious deception. How is attempting to keep people alive a hoax?

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Florida new cases and deaths by day - COVID19 in-patients at Jackson Health in Miami

4/3 - 1260 , 26 - 94

4/4 - 1277,  25 - 111

4/5-  805,  26 - 125

4/6 - 1279, 33 - 125

4/7 - 1118, 42 - 140

4/8 - 951,  27 - 136

4/9 - 1128, 48 - 148

4/10 - 1142, 48  - 149

4/11 - 1018, 27 - 163

jogging in place? (in jorts and crocs)
I added the numbers (bolded) of inpatients with positive COVID-19 tests from the 2100 bed public hospital system in Miami, Jackson Hospital: https://twitter.com/jacksonhealth

Their total numbers are trending up, but I don't see a breakdown of new and discharged patients, or deaths. They expect the peak within a week or 2, but claim they're prepared. The 2nd largest system, Baptist Health was reporting their numbers at one time, but not anymore.

There is a legal battle going on between news organizations and state officials to get public records related to positive tests at ALFs: 

>> Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ general counsel called a representative of the Miami Herald’s law firm seeking to quash a public records lawsuit that would force the state to divulge the names of all elder-care facilities that have had a positive test for the coronavirus.  The back-door pressure — through an attorney that had no involvement in the case — paid off.  The law firm, Holland & Knight, told Sanford Bohrer, a senior partner with decades of representing the Miami Herald, to stand down and abandon the lawsuit.

The suit will still be filed, but by another law firm, said Miami Herald publisher and executive editor Aminda Marqués González.

“We are disappointed that the governor’s office would go so far as to apply pressure on our legal counsel to prevent the release of public records that are critical to the health and safety of Florida’s most vulnerable citizens,” Marques said. “We shouldn’t have had to resort to legal action in the first place. Anyone with a relative in an elder care facility has a right to know if their loved ones are at risk so they can make an informed decision about their care.” <<

The Miami Herald wasn't asking for patients names. At this time, the optics for the state are bad - families of those in ALFs have a right to know if an ALF has COVID-19 subjects. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only recognizing something is awry, but recognizing the sheer scale of something going wrong.

If the infections started earlier, the sheer scale of folks requiring ventilators, and still dying, would've caught the attention of every medical professional across the country.
Absolutely. Hawaii has been pretty good with containment measures: our total number of cases is relatively low, yet our ICU is still bursting at the seams.

No way this could have been circulating for months without someone taking notice, especially healthcare workers with increased risk. If a bunch of ER/ICU personnel developed severe pneumonia/ARDS and all the vents were already occupied, I expect more than a few eyebrows would be raised.

To play devil's advocate for the Stanford crowd, the only plausible explanation I can imagine is multiple strains of the virus, with the nastier one currently making rounds worldwide. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of this stuff is perishable, and a lot of the food banks here in Florida are full already. Farmers are letting crops rot in the field.
I’ve spent all week reading grant requests and directing funding to food banks here in Texas. They are all overwhelmed by the demands, and can’t even begin to help serve a significant percentage of the people in need. Feel free to send it here.

I’ve spent all week reading grant requests and directing funding to food banks here in Texas. They are all overwhelmed by the demands, and can’t even begin to help serve a significant percentage of the people in need. Feel free to send it here.
That would be awesome, unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to begin with setting this up.

Yeah we’re seeing a huge uptick in first timers signing up for food banks all over NYC

That's like asking why do we accept 40,000 U.S. flu deaths each year. Or 60 million deaths total from all causes worldwide. The reason people will want to know is because of the toll our potentially misplaced measures will take on potentially many multiple more lives.
You're fighting the good fight, but you're never going to convince Team Apocalypse that completely shutting down the country (and continuing to keep it shut down) was a massive overreaction.  Anyone that doesn't follow the mantra is labeled a heartless, cruel ******* that would rather save the economy than a single human life.

Hang in there buddy, Team Optimism has your back.

Don't bother I'll be back to gloat in a couple of years when all the testing is done.  Until then you sheep can keep panicking I'm out of this thread for good.
You're going to gloat about what?  The number of dead?  The damage to the economy?   

Users who are viewing this thread