Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Perhaps Otis could get Otisdoctor to pre-prescribe some prophylactic antibiotics or other appropriate meds Otis could take with him, just in case. 

It's a virus, so antibiotics are pointless.

I know that seems pedantic, but it's actually worth factoring that into this discussion.  If you get the coronavirus -- or the flu for that matter -- you're probably not going to die from it.  But you will probably be incapacitated for a week or so.  Influenza is no joke.  Completely healthy people get knocked on their ### when they get the flu.  When you're weighing the costs and benefits of a business trip, you should factor in the small likelihood that you lose a week of work in the unlucky event that you get ill.

1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Perhaps Otis could get Otisdoctor to pre-prescribe some prophylactic antibiotics or other appropriate meds Otis could take with him, just in case. 

I've done this in other circumstances in which I was exposed to risk of potential infection.

18 minutes ago, Otis said:

I've done this in other circumstances in which I was exposed to risk of potential infection.

The airports are going to be the high risk places along with the airplane travel.  Even if you mask up it's a risk but the risk is you get it and then give it to your family before you know you caught it.   

That's why we are sixing all travel also.  

5 hours ago, Otis said:

Hypothetically if I had to make an urgent work trip to Singapore in the coming weeks, bad idea?  Mrs. O said absolutely not. I keep explaining it’s not China, it’s not even all that close to China, there are some countries between the two, and it’s an island.  I suppose the issue is lots of people probably travel to Singapore from China for the lunar new year.  But then again, is this thing killing a guy like Otis in his 40s who is healthy as a horse?  I doubt it.  I bet just like the regular flu deaths it is the elderly and those with weakened immune systems or other issues already.

Would you go to Singapore now?

I'd assume Singapore has world class hospitals (if you can afford it, and if you have insurance, you can afford it).  so, if you were over there and got sick, you would be well taken care of.  Same for NYC if you brought it back.  so, risk of dying is low, IMO.

Of course, you would want to quarantine yourself afterwards so once you get back, you can lock yourself in the basement with internet connection, TV, and a fridge full of beer.  Wife and kids would be prohibited from checking in with you and, obviously, no going to work.  Sounds absolutely dreadful, especially with March Madness around the corner.

I say go for it.

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, culdeus said:

The airports are going to be the high risk places along with the airplane travel.  Even if you mask up it's a risk but the risk is you get it and then give it to your family before you know you caught it.   

That's why we are sixing all travel also.  

You are nixing all summer travel?

We have flights to Tokyo for June.  No accommodations yet.  Should we hold off on booking rooms?  Really didn't think about this affecting our summer travel. 

Just now, Random said:

We have flights to Tokyo for June.  No accommodations yet.  Should we hold off on booking rooms?  Really didn't think about this affecting our summer travel. 

No, my biz has forbid all asia travel and has recalled all people based or on trips in China.  I would hope by summer we are all dead or ok.

• Like 2

GF is flying to NYC for business tomm. Got her set up with n95 masks and hand sanitizer. 

Shes asian and already has a cold (cough, congestion, sniffles).

I set the odds on someone refusing to sit next to her on the plane at -120 :lol: 

Edited by [icon]
  • Laughing 2

22 minutes ago, [icon] said:

GF is flying to NYC for business tomm. Got her set up with n95 masks and hand sanitizer. 

I set the odds on someone refusing to sit next to her on the plane at -120 :lol: 

+1500 that the seat next to her is occupied for the whole flight:D

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

12 hours ago, Otis said:

Hypothetically if I had to make an urgent work trip to Singapore in the coming weeks, bad idea?  Mrs. O said absolutely not. I keep explaining it’s not China, it’s not even all that close to China, there are some countries between the two, and it’s an island.  I suppose the issue is lots of people probably travel to Singapore from China for the lunar new year.  But then again, is this thing killing a guy like Otis in his 40s who is healthy as a horse?  I doubt it.  I bet just like the regular flu deaths it is the elderly and those with weakened immune systems or other issues already.

Would you go to Singapore now?

Singapore has 5 confirmed 2019-nCoV cases so far.

7 hours ago, Random said:

Also planning a Tokyo trip in early June. Not sweating that at all. But we’ll see. 

6 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Singapore has 5 confirmed 2019-nCoV cases so far.

About the same as the US. 

7 hours ago, [icon] said:

Pretty great shtick to avoid someone taking the middle seat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

A lesson from history:

“SARS arrived in Hong Kong in February 2003, when a doctor who had treated some of the cases of SARS at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hospital in Guangdong came to attend a family gathering. Dr. Liu Jianlun, Hong Kong's index patient, checked into the Metropole Hotel on February 21, with a room on the ninth floor, specifically room 911. Even though he was already feeling somewhat ill he visited with his family and they traveled around Hong Kong. By the morning of February 22, he knew he was very sick and walked over to seek care at nearby Kwong Wah Hospital. He eventually died there in the Intensive Care Unit on March 4. As he likely had diarrhea, on the night of February 21, he created airborne fecal clouds in his bathroom by flushing the toilet. Those fecal clouds then traveled into the hallway because his room was positively pressurized. Nine 9th floor guests and one visitor breathed in airborne SARS from his fecal cloud and contracted SARS. Surprisingly, his wife who was with him the entire time did not contract SARS. Liu's brother-in-law sought medical treatment in late February, entered the hospital on March 1, and died on March 19. Twenty-three other guests from the Metropole developed SARS, seven of them from the ninth floor, and it is estimated that around 80% of the Hong Kong cases were due to Liu.”

Wiki Source
Hotel Floor Map

33 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

. Surprisingly, his wife who was with him the entire time did not contract SARS.

Sounds like your typical asian Chinese marriage :lol: 

I’m not sure I’ve ever read the term prior in my life and now, suddenly in one post, I’ve read in my head “fecal cloud” 3 times

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bradyfan said:

From China CDC, # of new cases on Jan-27 0 - 24hrs:

Suspected cases: +2077 new  ==>  6973 total

Confirmed cases: +1771 new  ==>  4515 total

Severe cases: +515 new  ==>  976 total

Dead: +26 new  ==>  106 total

Recovered: +9 new  ==>  60 total

Translated source: Link

From China CDC, # of new cases on Jan-28 0-24 hrs

Suspected cases: +3248 new  ==>  9239 total

Confirmed cases: +1459 new  ==>  5974 total

Severe cases: +263 new  ==>  1239 total

Dead: +26 new  ==>  132 total

Recovered: +43 new  ==>  103 total

Edited by bradyfan

So when I take a crap in a hotel the whole floor can potentially inhale my fecal cloud? I can’t wait to tell my wife this. 

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

First coronavirus hospital in China is open today and receiving patient transfers.  Link

Well I for one absoLUTELY trust this Chinese-government-inspired-propaganda-video.

11 hours ago, TheIronSheik said:

I just got over the Monkey Pox.

You've got a green light for all the monkey love you can handle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bradyfan said:

A lesson from history:

“SARS arrived in Hong Kong in February 2003, when a doctor who had treated some of the cases of SARS at Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hospital in Guangdong came to attend a family gathering. Dr. Liu Jianlun, Hong Kong's index patient, checked into the Metropole Hotel on February 21, with a room on the ninth floor, specifically room 911. Even though he was already feeling somewhat ill he visited with his family and they traveled around Hong Kong. By the morning of February 22, he knew he was very sick and walked over to seek care at nearby Kwong Wah Hospital. He eventually died there in the Intensive Care Unit on March 4. As he likely had diarrhea, on the night of February 21, he created airborne fecal clouds in his bathroom by flushing the toilet. Those fecal clouds then traveled into the hallway because his room was positively pressurized. Nine 9th floor guests and one visitor breathed in airborne SARS from his fecal cloud and contracted SARS. Surprisingly, his wife who was with him the entire time did not contract SARS. Liu's brother-in-law sought medical treatment in late February, entered the hospital on March 1, and died on March 19. Twenty-three other guests from the Metropole developed SARS, seven of them from the ninth floor, and it is estimated that around 80% of the Hong Kong cases were due to Liu.”

Wiki Source
Hotel Floor Map

Since I'm too old to start a band, I'm going to use this as my home wifi network name. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3

9 minutes ago, NorvilleBarnes said:

You've got a green light for all the monkey love you can handle.

Yup. 2 week window.

23 minutes ago, facook said:

Well I for one absoLUTELY trust this Chinese-government-inspired-propaganda-video.

Yeah the video from 2 days ago showed a ton of front end lo0aders working in an empty lot and now this one says they converted an empty building.

Hype has died down alot last couple of days. We gonna live?

• Like 1

Possible case in Lawrence has the buzzing.  Not yet confirmed. 

8 hours ago, Otis said:

Slightly smaller area, though

Death toll rises, Chinese authorities expect cases to peak in ten days

Australia plans to quarantine its evacuees on Christmas island 2,000km (1,200 miles) from the mainland.

Japan, the US and the EU are also repatriating their citizens.

British Airways has suspended all flights to and from mainland China, as the UK's Foreign Office warned against "all but essential travel" there.

Several other airlines have taken similar measures, including America's United Airlines, which restricted flights citing a fall in demand.

Chinese President Xi Jinping called the virus a "devil" but said China would defeat it.

An expert from the Chinese National Health Commission (NHC) said it could take 10 more days for the outbreak to peak.

The number of deaths from the virus has risen to 132 in China.

Like the similar Sars and influenza viruses, the new coronavirus is a particular risk for elderly people and those with pre-existing illnesses.

The sharp rise in cases is in part attributed to increased awareness, monitoring and testing in recent days.

That, to me, suggests it may be prudent to popstpone going to Singapore for a month, maybe two, assuming the data bears out this peak

23 hours ago, Otis said:

Big piece of business I’ve been trying to land. Want to show the customer based there that I am “all in” and get this over the finish line with an in person meeting. 

:unsure: I confess I’ve never been before, but always thought it was an island, right off the southern part of Malaysia?  Am I missing something there?

It is, you're right.  I think he just meant that a narrow waterway isn't going to stop disease transmission.  My two cents, probably worth even less, is that Singapore's government is not necessarily the most liberal in the world (remember the kid who was caned?  Although that was many years ago so perhaps things have changed), so who knows how they might react to some cases of this disease appearing.  Your travel efforts back home could be impeded.  Probably a watch and wait situation. 

(Editing to say sorry, I read right over msommer and someone else already saying similar stuff.)  

Edited by Aerial Assault

State department sending china evacuees to march air reserve base in California instead of Ontario international airport in California.

Ontario was designated for this type of situation over a decade ago, so not sure why it's not being utilized.  I'm not familiar enough with march, or at all frankly, to know its capabilities.  Any one else?

https://www.foxnews.com/health/plane-with-u-s-evacuees-from-china-diverted-from-california-to-air-force-base-curt-hagman-says

1 hour ago, Aerial Assault said:

It is, you're right.  I think he just meant that a narrow waterway isn't going to stop disease transmission.  My two cents, probably worth even less, is that Singapore's government is not necessarily the most liberal in the world (remember the kid who was caned?  Although that was many years ago so perhaps things have changed), so who knows how they might react to some cases of this disease appearing.  Your travel efforts back home could be impeded.  Probably a watch and wait situation. 

(Editing to say sorry, I read right over msommer and someone else already saying similar stuff.)  

No worries.
Singapore is still ruled by what some call a benign dictatorship

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bradyfan said:

A lesson from history:

Wiki Source
Hotel Floor Map

Cloud of Feces.

31 minutes ago, bagger said:

Cloud of Feces.

This makes me think of that scene from Kingpin.  

"Hey!  Get out of here!  There's a big cloud of #### comin'!"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheIronSheik said:

British Airways suspends flights from China.

Think they all will by the end of the week. 

Otis - pack heavy bro

• Laughing 1

15 hours ago, bradyfan said:

Hong Kong's index patient, checked into the Metropole Hotel on February 21, with a room on the ninth floor, specifically room 911.

:tinfoilhat:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EVERYBODY WAS KUNG FLU FIGHTING!!!!

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Still not seeing body count levels approaching even regular seasonal flu.  I'm going to keep my collodial silver supply untouched.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Still not seeing body count levels approaching even regular seasonal flu.  I'm going to keep my collodial silver supply untouched.

thing with the seasonal flu is that the strain has been identified, and precautions (innoculation) can be taken. 

and i'd hazard to say that roughly 95% of the deaths are attributed to high risk humans - those already compromised via age or existing underlying conditions (COPD is a big one, as is diabtetes, heart disease, AIDS, etc) ... an otherwise healthy person does not contact the flu and drop ####in' dead as Dillinger ... that's pretty stinkin' uncommon, imo. 

now, this here Corona?  yeah, not that cut and dried, methinks. 

Edited by otb_lifer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, culdeus said:

Hype has died down alot last couple of days. We gonna live?

Man I hope not, herd needs culled in a bad way.

Side note

I have moved my colloidal silver out of my safe deposit box into my home safe as it looks too early to tell.

Unless I’m misinterpreting those posted numbers it looks like ~5700 outcomes are undetermined and of the ~240 outcomes that are determined over half are dead. But the recovered cases are gaining on dead which seems good.

Setting aside any lack of faith in the reported numbers themselves, am I reading that right?  240 “completed cases” seems low.

Withlime virus 

19 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Man I hope not, herd needs culled in a bad way.

Side note

Why are all these people here?  There's too many people on this Earth.  We need a new plague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American Airlines is cancelling flights now, too.

I feel like the people who are saying this isn't a big deal are comparable to the people who won't vaccinate their kids.  "Sure, the World Health Organization has said this is a very dangerous thing and it could be very bad.  But who are they?  I think I know better than a bunch of researchers, doctors and epidemiologists."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

Do we think Anheuser-Busch InBev has a civil case against the CDC on this one?  Years of marketing campaigns programming us that Corona is synonymous with have a nice time on a tropical beach is being flushed down the drain as everyone now associates their brand with dying Chinese people.

Edited by Jayrod

4 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Do we think Anheuser-Busch InBev has a civil case against the CDC on this one?  Years of marketing campaigns programming us that Corona is synonymous with have a nice time on a tropical beach is being flushed down the drain as everyone now associates their brand with dying Chinese people.

need to rename this thing to General Tso's Virus 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

Oof, hadn't thought of that aspect but you have a point.

Side note to the side note - how much you think Planters put into the death of Mr. Peanut?

18 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

need to rename this thing to General Tso's Virus 

Maybe General Tso's Revenge. I still enjoy his chicken.

• Love 1