What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

part of the response problem is politics whether we like it or not in the FFA. As a DHS employee I feel it first hand as we still have yet to really get any direction from our Acting DHS boss, luckily the CG leadership is pumping out information/direction on the regular. I can only hope that CBP leadership is on it as well as ours is or we are f'd, also we have 61 confirmed cases in the US and 332 people quarantined in the US.
This is true. And Trump's actions/inactions/whatever will influence how this goes. How it effects the election? I don't care. Who is making political hay of any action/reaction? I don't care. Who is the go to man on some other issue and who that guy married, looked at side ways or even sneezed at? I don't care. These things have nothing to do with COVID-19 and better discussed elsewhere. Please, I am still begging, keep this on COVID-19.

Last edited by a moderator:
now, focusing on the death rate:

Country Total Deaths Critical death rate future deaths future death rate
China 78,832 2,788 7,952 3.54% 6764 9%
S. Korea 2,337 13 10 0.56% 18 1%
D. Princess 705 4 36 0.57% 22 3%
Italy 655 17 56 2.60% 45 7%
Iran 388 34 8.76% 34 9%
Japan 226 5 13 2.21% 11.5 5%
Singapore 96 8 0.00% 4 4%
Hong Kong 93 2 6 2.15% 5 5%
Germany 60 2 0.00% 1 2%
USA 60 0.00% 0 0%
Kuwait 45 0.00% 0 0%
France 41 2 1 4.88% 2.5 6%
Thailand 41 2 0.00% 1 2%
Bahrain 36 0.00% 0 0%
Taiwan 34 1 1 2.94% 1.5 4%
Spain 26 2 0.00% 1 4%
Malaysia 25 0.00% 0 0%
Australia 24 0.00% 0 0%
U.K. 19 0.00% 0 0%
U.A.E. 19 2 0.00% 1 5%
Vietnam 16 0.00% 0 0%
Switzerland 15 0.00% 0 0%
Canada 14 0.00% 0 0%
Macao 10 0.00% 0 0%

*note: for brevity, I filtered out countries with less than 10 cases

For future deaths, I am assuming half of the critical cases won't make it to extrapolate what the death rate may be once this all clears out.  There appears to be a pretty wide disparity that seems to me to be a function of how aggressive and prepared the country is/was.  Obviously, China got caught flat footed.  South Korea seems to have taken this thing head on, aggressively testing and treating.  Hopefully the US can keep the goose egg in the deaths and serious columns.

data source

You felt the disturbance in the force, too?  Like millions of voices being silent...and then all the sudden screaming?  

So, what is a reasonable, mild concern prep plan?  Supplies I plan to pickup:

couple cases of bottled water, lysol wipes, tylenol (last couple posts), i guess some sort of canned foods?

i mean, its stuff we will use when this is all behind us, but seems reasonable to have a small stash....right?
Here's what I've already purchased for a family of 5 with 3 young kids, youngest in diapers still:

- 3 large (sams) size boxes of diapers (will get used regardless)
- Wipes
- Cereal/Oatmeal
- Batteries
- Frozen chicken/ground beef/nuggets/hot dogs - enough for a couple weeks meals
- Bleach
- Robitussin/Childrens Tylenol/Childrens Cold/Flu, Nyquil capsules, Tylenol PM
- Rice
- Chips
- Wine (a necessity for weeks home alone with kids)
- Disposable gloves
- New thermometer
- Multiple bottles of hand sanitizer (plan to station these in cars/entrances to home
- Laundry detergent/softener
- Toilet Paper/Paper towels
- Paper plates/plastic cups

THat covers most of it.  Nothing on the list I won't go through in 3 months regardless, aside from the disposable gloves most likely.  If I had to say what I think's the most important it'd be making sure I have enough medicine for the kids to cover them if they get sick to a level that is miserable, but doesn't require hospitalization.  Fever control, symptom control, etc.

Here's what I've already purchased for a family of 5 with 3 young kids, youngest in diapers still:

- Wipes
- Cereal/Oatmeal
- Batteries
- Bleach
- Rice
- Chips
- Disposable gloves
- New thermometer
- Multiple bottles of hand sanitizer (plan to station these in cars/entrances to home

THat covers most of it.  Nothing on the list I won't go through in 3 months regardless, aside from the disposable gloves most likely.  If I had to say what I think's the most important it'd be making sure I have enough medicine for the kids to cover them if they get sick to a level that is miserable, but doesn't require hospitalization.  Fever control, symptom control, etc.
No bourbon?

No U.S. citizens remain on the C/S DIAMOND PRINCESS. The remaining U.S. citizen crew members were transferred to a quarantine site in Japan.

•Several COVID-19 positive U.S. citizens have significant health complications. At least 14 are in critical condition, 7 are on some type of breathing support.

forget about the death rate for a second - would it be fair to say this is worse than the flu in terms of severity across the board?

The flu can effect different people differently (obviously).  Lets talk about a scale: lf 1-10, where a 1 is someone who barely gets a sniffle, and 10 is almost instant death.  Anything above a 5 = hospitalization & IV, 7 = ICU, 8 = incubation, etc. 

Lets further say that if patient X gets the flu and it typically hits them at a 3, COVID-19 might be a 5?  a 5 to a 7?  a 7 to a 9?  Are we really talking about a more severe flu*?

* not trying to downplay COVID, I'm trying to gauge the effect for non-fatal infections.
I posted lots of info on last few pages on hospitalization rates, mortality, etc. compared to flu. Don’t want to do work again but just to say like 1 percent of flu patients get hospitalized while we are closer to 20 percent here based on China numbers. So lot more stress on healthcare system. 

Starting to feel like today is the day this pops into something a lot more serious.  Or maybe Monday?

A word from Germany

In Germany, the number of confirmed Coronavirus cases is increasing substantially. On Friday morning, there were more than 30 patients. Hundreds of Germans are in quarantine.

Most of the sixteen Coronavirus patients Germany had earlier this month are already back in their regular lives. For a little while, things looked good. With the quick spread of infections in northern Italy, fears increased. It did not take long until those who had worried were proven right.

More than 1000 in Quarantine

At this stage, more than 30 people in Germany are infected with the Coronavirus. In the country’s largest federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia, there were 20 confirmed cases on Friday morning. Many citizens were in quarantine, mostly in their homes, as contact persons who might have contracted the virus.

More than 1000 residents are quarantined because some of the virus patients were with many people at a kindergarten, a carnival event and elsewhere. At a hospital in Mönchengladbach, at least one doctor is infected. It is unclear whether he passed on the Coronavirus to his staff and to patients. One man from Gangelt is still in critical condition, while most other patients are reportedly much better.
Worldometer is showing 60 total cases in Germany, 11 addtl today and 16 recovered - so the 30 parients mentioned in the first line checks out (60-16=44-11 (today)=33)

No U.S. citizens remain on the C/S DIAMOND PRINCESS. The remaining U.S. citizen crew members were transferred to a quarantine site in Japan.

•Several COVID-19 positive U.S. citizens have significant health complications. At least 14 are in critical condition, 7 are on some type of breathing support.
I'm surprised we're not hearing of their movement to participate in the NIH remdesivir study.

Starting to feel like today is the day this pops into something a lot more serious.  Or maybe Monday?
Expectations are USA testing gets more clarity Monday.  It isn't clear if we will go the Iran route or the Singapore route. 

I think the key for the US is to beef up testing capabilities of hospitals ASAP.
Gotta start somewhere:

CDC Has Fixed Issue Delaying Coronavirus Testing In U.S., Health Officials Say (NPR 2/27/2020)

Federal health officials say they have resolved a problem that has hindered wide testing for the new coronavirus in the United States, a crucial practice for fighting the spread of the dangerous new infection.

But the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration informed state officials late Wednesday that the agencies have resolved the problem with the test kits.

"The FDA has authorized the use of those tests by using just the first and second step to provide a definitive diagnostic," Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said during a congressional hearing Thursday.
Someone on another board explained that the test originally had three or more steps -- sort of like mini-tests within the overall capital-T Test. Kind of like using three different brands of drugstore pregnancy tests to triple-check that you really are pregnant, and referring to those three tests collectively a "Pregnancy Test".

Anyway. The test kits as rendered have two good mini-tests. Sounds like the net effect is to go from, say, an 80% accurate capital-T Test to something less. Not sure that the actual accuracy numbers are.

It does feel like the beginnings of some of those horror movies.  Where it's in the news everywhere, some people start taking precautions while most of the population goes about their daily lives, oblivious, like nothing is wrong.  

Nah, it's nothing.  Couple months this will be old news.

This might be the worst news yet if you have been watching the cruise ship as a petri dish for the globe.  

forget about the death rate for a second - would it be fair to say this is worse than the flu in terms of severity across the board?

The flu can effect different people differently (obviously).  Lets talk about a scale: lf 1-10, where a 1 is someone who barely gets a sniffle, and 10 is almost instant death.  Anything above a 5 = hospitalization & IV, 7 = ICU, 8 = incubation, etc. 

Lets further say that if patient X gets the flu and it typically hits them at a 3, COVID-19 might be a 5?  a 5 to a 7?  a 7 to a 9?  Are we really talking about a more severe flu*?

* not trying to downplay COVID, I'm trying to gauge the effect for non-fatal infections.
Weirdly ... from what I can ascertain to date, it looks like COVID is more extreme at both ends. Less symptomatic and less severe than flu on groups that typically get mild to moderate flu symptoms ... and much harder on those that struggle with the flu. College age people and younger will be generally skipping right on through COVID.

more countries with the virus: New Zealand, The Netherlands, Denmark, Belarus, Lithuania, Estonia, Georgia, North Macedonia, Nigeria, and Sri Lanka all confirmed first cases of COVID-19.
Denmark up to two confirmed cases now (both contracted the disease skiing in Italy)

Our company (EU Based - Global / 150k employees) just ceased all travel unless expressly authorized by the BU leader (very high level).

Any scheduled trips are to be cancelled unless authorization is expressly granted. 

A decent grade dust mask < > than those surgical masks you see people wearing?
both of those are worthless as they are not particulate filters and inhalation is only one part of the problem with this virus. If you are going to wear a respirator then you better have on your goggles and gloves.

both of those are worthless as they are not particulate filters and inhalation is only one part of the problem with this virus. If you are going to wear a respirator then you better have on your goggles and gloves.
Other than the flimsy paper masks most dust masks (respirators) are rated.  I have a whole box at home, better than the flimsy, but still probably not rated very high.

From the internets:

A contagious patient should wear a surgical mask as soon as contagion is suspected.   If worn by a contagious patient, it prevents the patient from contaminating his or her surroundings and environment. These masks should not be worn for more than 3 to 8 hours.

For caregivers, it is necessary to wear a respirator of at least class FFP2 or FFP3 for maximum filtration of particles and aerosols when caring for a patient who is infected or suspected of being so.

Excellent, but long read (Scientific American [opinion] 2/27/2020)

TL:DR Cliffs Notes

- Some people may be holding back from preparing because of dislike of associating such preparation with "doomsday" or “prepper” subcultures.

- We should prepare, not because we may feel personally at risk, but so that we can help lessen the risk for everyone.

- Prepper and survivalist subcultures are often associated with doomsday scenarios and extreme steps. It all can feel like a scam: there is no shortage of snake oil sellers who hope stoking such fears will make people buy more supplies they don't need.

- There is little point “preparing“ for the most catastrophic scenarios some of these people envision. "Most catastrophic" being the key words.

- The real crisis scenarios we’re likely to encounter require cooperation and “flattening the curve” of the crisis exactly so the more vulnerable can fare better. 

- Epidemiological numbers, such as R0 (infection spread per carrier) and case fatality rate (CFR) are not fixed or immutable. Our actions as a society can alter both numbers -- lowering both numbers is what's meant by "flattening the curve".

- The only path to flattening the curve for COVID-19 is community-wide isolation: the more people stay home, the fewer people will catch the disease.

- in practice: get a flu shot, if you haven’t already, and stock up supplies at home so that you can stay home for two or three weeks, going out as little as possible. The flu shot is to avoid comorbidity, not to do anything against COVID.

- Many are trying to stock up on masks, and many places have already run out—giving us a taste of what it means not to flatten the curve. Save the masks for health-care workers and for actual patients. Shaving margins off of your personal infection risk is not worth making masks unavailable for those who truly need them.

- Conversations still to be had: The way our health care industry runs How to handle global risks in our increasingly interconnected world. How to build resilient communities. How to reduce travel for work.

- All the above are important discussions that will have to be had sooner rather than later. However, the practical steps facing households are immediate and important; for the sake of everyone else, prepare to stay home for a few weeks. You’ll reduce your own risks, but most importantly, you will reduce the burden on health care and delivery infrastructure and allow frontline workers to reach and help the most vulnerable.

(full article, spoilered for length)

Preparing for Coronavirus to Strike the U.S.

Getting ready for the possibility of major disruptions is not only smart; it’s also our civic duty

By Zeynep Tufekci on February 27, 2020

As the new human coronavirus spreads around the world, individuals and families should prepare—but are we? The Centers for Disease Control has already said that it expects community transmission in the United States, and asked families to be ready for the possibility of a “significant disruption to our lives.”

Be ready? But how? It seems to me that some people may be holding back from preparing because of their understandable dislike of associating such preparation with doomsday or “prepper” subcultures. Another possibility is that people may have learned that for many people the disease is mild, which is certainly true, so they don’t think it’s a big risk to them. Also, many doomsday scenarios advise extensive preparation for increasingly outlandish scenarios, and this may seem daunting and pointless (and it is). Others may not feel like contributing to a panic or appearing to be selfish.

Forget all that. Preparing for the almost inevitable global spread of this virus, now dubbed COVID-19, is one of the most pro-social, altruistic things you can do in response to potential disruptions of this kind.

We should prepare, not because we may feel personally at risk, but so that we can help lessen the risk for everyone. We should prepare not because we are facing a doomsday scenario out of our control, but because we can alter every aspect of this risk we face as a society.

That’s right, you should prepare because your neighbors need you to prepare—especially your elderly neighbors, your neighbors who work at hospitals, your neighbors with chronic illnesses, and your neighbors who may not have the means or the time to prepare because of lack of resources or time.

Prepper and survivalist subcultures are often associated with doomsday scenarios and extreme steps: people stocking and hoarding supplies, building bunkers and preparing to go off the grid so that they may survive some untold catastrophe, brandishish weapons to guard their compound while their less prepared neighbors perish. All this appears both extreme and selfish, and, to be honest, a little nutty—just check the title of the TV series devoted to the subculture: Doomsday Preppers, implying, well, a doomsday and the few prepared individuals surviving in a war-of-all-against-all world.

It also feels like a scam: there is no shortage of snake oil sellers who hope stoking such fears will make people buy more supplies: years’ worth of ready-to-eat meals, bunker materials and a lot more stuff in various shades of camo. (The more camo the more doomsday feels, I guess!)

The reality is that there is little point “preparing“ for the most catastrophic scenarios some of these people envision. As a species, we live and die by our social world and our extensive infrastructure—and there is no predicting what anybody needs in the face of total catastrophe.

In contrast, the real crisis scenarios we’re likely to encounter require cooperation and, crucially, “flattening the curve” of the crisis exactly so the more vulnerable can fare better, so that our infrastructure will be less stressed at any one time.

What does “flattening the curve” mean for the current COVID-19 threat facing us: the emerging pandemic of this human coronavirus? Epidemiologists often talk about two important numbers: R0 or how infectious a disease might be, expressed as the number of people that are infected by each person who’s been infected; and the case fatality ratio (CFR): the number of people who die as a result of being infected. For example, an R0 of two means each infected person infects two people on average, while a number less than one means the disease is likely dying out in the population. Some diseases are deadlier than others: the average case fatality ratio for Ebola has been around 50 percent, for example, while the common cold is rarely deadly for otherwise healthy individuals.

But here’s the thing. Such epidemiological numbers are not fixed or immutable. They are not constants that exist independent of our actions. Where they land depends on the characteristics of the pathogen but also our response. By preparing now, we can alter both of those key numbers and save many lives.

The infectiousness of a virus, for example, depends on how much we encounter one another; how well we quarantine individuals who are ill; how often we wash our hands; whether those treating the ill have proper protective equipment; how healthy we are to begin with—and such factors are all under our control. After active measures were implemented, the R0 for the 2003 SARS epidemic, for example, went from around three, meaning each person infected three others, to 0.04. It was our response to SARS in 2003 that made sure the disease died out from earth, with less than a thousand victims globally.

Similarly, how many people die of seasonal influenza (or COVID-19) depends on the kind of health care they receive. In China, death rates are much higher in the overwhelmed Hubei province than the rest of the country exactly because of the quality of the care. Hospitals only have so many beds, especially in their intensive care units, and those who have a severe case of COVID-19 often need mechanical ventilation and other intensive care procedures. When they are out of beds, people end up languishing at home and suffering and dying in much larger numbers.

All this means that if we can slow the transmission of the disease—flatten its curve—there will be many lives saved even if the same number of people eventually get sick, because everyone won’t show up at the hospital all at once. Plus, if we can flatten that curve, there is more time to develop a vaccine or find antivirals that help.

There are now COVID-19 cases around the world, and epidemiological data from tens of thousands of cases. Here’s what we know: no doubt to the relief of parents everywhere, this disease is mild to nonexistent in children. There are almost no pediatric deaths and very few kids even seem to fall sick (though children may still be having clinically barely detectable cases, thus infecting others).

On the other hand, for the elderly or for people who have other diseases or comorbidities, it’s very serious, with death rates reaching up to 15 percent. It’s also a great threat to health workers who handle people with the virus every day, with thousands of cases already. Overall, it appears to have a case fatality rate around 2 percent, which is certainly very serious: seasonal flu, a serious threat in and of itself, has a case fatality rate around 0.1 percent in the United States, so this coronavirus is about 20 times as deadly (though again, this number may get much better or worse depending on the kind of care we can provide).

There are also enough examples of mild or barely symptomatic COVID-19 cases and a long enough incubation period that this disease will almost certainly not be contained: we can’t expect to reliably detect everyone who’s ill and infectious, as we could with the SARS 2003 epidemic where the victims always exhibited high fever and thus were easier to identify and isolate.

All of this means that the only path to flattening the curve for COVID-19 is community-wide isolation: the more people stay home, the fewer people will catch the disease. The fewer people who catch the disease, the better hospitals can help those who do. Crowding at hospitals doesn’t just threaten those with COVID-19; if emergency rooms are overwhelmed, more flu patients, too, will die because of lack of treatment, for example. 

Community-wide isolation also means that people will depend on deliveries for essentials: in ground-zero of Hubei, for example, that’s what’s happening. But there are only so many delivery workers and while deliveries are better than people going shopping, it’s still a risk to everyone involved. So if fewer people need deliveries, then fewer people will get sick, and more people who need help such as the elderly can still get deliveries as the services will be less overwhelmed.

Here’s what all this means in practice: get a flu shot, if you haven’t already, and stock up supplies at home so that you can stay home for two or three weeks, going out as little as possible. The flu shot helps decrease the odds of having to go to the hospital for the flu, or worse yet, get both flu and COVID-19; comorbidities drastically worsen outcomes.

Staying home without needing deliveries means that not only are you less likely to get sick, thus freeing up hospitals for more vulnerable populations, it means that you are less likely to infect others (while you may be having a mild case, you can still infect an elderly person or someone with cancer or another significant illness) and you allow delivery personnel to help out others.

If you are in a position of authority, that means figuring out how to help people stay at home, by preparing for and allowing for remote work, or allowing for future work to make up for missed days and other similar plans. Households and others who employ part-time help can do this, too: continue paying the cleaners; it can be reconciled later: without pay, people will not be able to prepare and or stay home.

If you live in a regular household, here’s a handy, one-page guide on what you need, with up-to-date information on top, but it is essentially this: potable water (that’s a general just-in-case item for all emergencies), shelf-stable food (doesn’t need refrigeration, again just-in-case), your prescription medication and a few basic medical supplies (first aid/your usual over-the-counter meds). Depending on the composition of your household, things to keep you busy (books, board games, toys).

Many are trying to stock up on masks, and many places have already run out—giving us a taste of what it means not to flatten the curve. If everyone gets masks all at once, there is just no way to keep up. However, don’t worry if you cannot find masks; those are most important for health care workers. Masks are useful for protecting others from your germs and also for making it harder or reminding you not to touch your face. For non–health care people, washing your hands often, using alcohol-based hand-sanitizer liberally and learning not to touch your face are the most important clinically-proven interventions there are (and teaching this to kids is priceless, as they may well be healthy but they are quite the germ vectors!). Clinical studies show amazing results to just washing hands regularly and well (at least 20 seconds!). Of course, if you yourself have any illness (cold or flu!), don’t sneeze or cough on people!

For food, you can just buy two or three weeks’ worth of shelf-stable food that you would eat anyway, and be done; this could include canned food like beans and vegetables, pasta, rice, cereals or oats, oils/fats, nuts and dried fruits. It’s really not that hard because we’re talking two-three weeks, so whatever you get is fine. It doesn’t have to be expensive or super healthy or specialized ready-to-eat meals in camo boxes guaranteed to survive the meteor strike! Rice, beans, salsa, ramen, some sort of cooking oil, oatmeal, nuts and dried or canned fruits and vegetables enough for two weeks can be had at relatively little cost and take up fairly little space. 

Why not rely on refrigerated food? Sure, keep your fridge full, but it isn’t the back-up you need for two weeks. I personally don’t think the lights or water are going out. They haven’t in China, even in places like Hubei that are under much more stress, and they didn’t even during the catastrophic Spanish flu pandemic at the end of World War I. However, it’s generally good advice to rely on shelf-stable food and have some potable water in the house just in case there is some sort of temporary hiccup. A portable power bank for your phone that is kept charged is similarly generally useful anyway.

If you need prescription or other medications, it’s a good idea to stock up if possible—if for no other reason than to avoid pharmacies, both to reduce their burden and also to not be in the same line as people who may be ill.

That’s mostly it, for a household, along with whatever will help keep your household entertained and busy.

If you get lucky and no community isolation is necessary in your area? At worst, you can just eat your pantry, or just rotate it so that you have a few days’ worth of food and water—for the next weather event or hiccup.

As a society, there are much larger conversations to be had: about the way our health care industry runs, for example. How to handle global risks in our increasingly interconnected world. How to build resilient communities. How to reduce travel for work.

Those are all important discussions, and nothing in this short article replaces that. However, the practical steps facing households are immediate and important; for the sake of everyone else, prepare to stay home for a few weeks. You’ll reduce your own risks, but most importantly, you will reduce the burden on health care and delivery infrastructure and allow frontline workers to reach and help the most vulnerable.

The views expressed are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Scientific American.

Why are you expecting it to rise?  They were not testing asymptomatic people until very late stage.  This very well could be the absolute worst case.
This is the second time someone has asked me this.  We're clearly not all on the same page as far as this virus is concerned.  The cruise ship cases are all relatively new.  We only have media records of 10 people of the 705 infected actually having recovered and this virus reportedly can last 3-6 weeks in serious cases.

2 additional deaths were reported today.

Supposedly, death is not something that happens early on in this virus. 

So I think it would be reasonable to expect that the numbers will rise, but I absolutely hope you're right.

- Wipes
- Cereal/Oatmeal
- Batteries
- Bleach
- Rice
- Chips
- Disposable gloves
- New thermometer

No bourbon?
I've tried to cut back but it looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

One thing I meant to mention is to remind folks who have chronic conditions, or who require medications on a regular basis to ensure you have at least a 30 day supply of your medications.  If you have parents, or other loved ones who need them, remind them about this too.  Say it's not a panic, it's not over-reaction...if you don't need the stockpile, you'll go through them anyway, but if you really need them you'll be glad you have them.  So try to spread that message.

Also, odds are the supply chain will be disrupted from China and other countries.  Might do some thinking in terms of what products you rely on that come from overseas.  We've taken for granted for decades uninterrupted supply chains but if that get significantly affected, prices will go up and supply will go down.  So what do you use regularly, or buy seasonally at this time that's primarily sourced from China or foreign countries?  Might be worth doing a little early shopping.  Not suggesting hoarding, but maybe just move up the timeframe for some purchases a bit.

I work in an industry that has to push a fair amount of high dollar products through customs in other countries, and this has been affected for weeks now.  So much so that vendors woh require deliveries from us per contract or else there's a penalty are saying that they're no longer requiring it to be received by a certain date, but rather just shipped by a certain date...because everything after that is up in the air right now.

So the bottom line is just encourage people to be prepared.  No need to panic, no need to hoard, but look at things most critical to you and your loved ones and encourage folks to at least look ahead for the next month or two with those items...and with staples like food, things that can be frozen, and other supplies that require you to go out of the house on a regular basis for, consider getting a couple week supply of them to give you the option to avoid going outdoors if you deem it necessary (or someone else does).

These kind of click baity posts are things I just don’t buy. You look at their posting history on reddit and they basically just started two weeks ago on Reddit posting on Coronavirus page. Looks like some troll trying to create a sensation. 

You mean we should take random #### on reddit with a grain of salt from our prepper stash? 

I wonder how many of the full blown pandemic preppers who are buying every single piece of info being put out by "scientists" on the daily are also climate change deniers.

I've seen some selective dislike / like of the CDC which has been interesting. 

Are we all in on science these days? 

From the WHO report:

Using available preliminary data, the median time from onset to clinical recovery for mild cases is approximately 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease. Preliminary data suggests that the time period from onset to the development of severe disease, including hypoxia, is 1 week. Among patients who have died, the time from symptom onset to outcome ranges from 2-8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread