Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, shader said:

The first thing that has to happen before you re-open is that you actually have to get to a plateau in terms of active cases.  The USA isn't close to a plateau.

Click on any country in Worldometers and look at the active cases chart.  Start with South Korea.  You can see their active cases plateau and then go down.

Italy and Spain are just now plateauing.

We know active cases isn't super precise, but it's all the data we have.  If it's not precise enough, states need to make it precise.  Because THAT is the most important stat that's out there in terms of figuring out when to re-open.  

IMHO you need a plateau of hospitalizations, and that plateau has to be lower than your capacity by a certain margin so you won't be swamped if you open up too much. This is the way I see the European countries go about it. What you open is also interesting and here the European countries differ a lot

Edited by msommer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the moops said:

My stupid back's website is still crashed. Yay for me for choosing a small local credit union!

And after all the waiting and trying to log on, the money isn't actually in my account

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

The retail sector is beginning to crash. I don't want to speak out of school, so I can't mention names, but two massive companies, names you would all know, are swirling the drain and can't find investors. I'm currently negotiating "terms of surrender" with these companies, both of whom have 7 figure balances on arrears with the company I work for. It's getting ugly fast out there. If this co tinues for several more months, as it appears will be necessary, expect many of the places you eat/stay/shop at to no longer exist. 

Not saying we should be doing anything differently, just stating sad facts. 

Some of the names I heard that are going to struggle coming out of this are Macy's, Kohl's and GAP. Just nod if I'm close

47 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Tend to agree. Would like to see how it reflects the last several days worth of data and the future projections. The steep decline wasn't seen in those places, as you point out. Doubling the current number would have around 22K passed away, current model reflects around 14K. 

Bottom line is the plateau is not really anything to point to in terms of "re-opening". Really need to see steep declines before any of those thoughts can be even considered.

I would hope policy makers are aware of these flaws if a couple of guys on a fantasy football message board can figure it out.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Some of the names I heard that are going to struggle coming out of this are Macy's, Kohl's and GAP. Just nod if I'm close

Anything with a lot of presence in malls has to be getting waylaid now. Ironically, (indoor) malls are among the places in which it's easiest to enforce social distancing in ways to make retail shopping pretty safe.

2 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Always thought it was a bad move for Kohl's to close their grocery stores.  Thought they'd move to a hybrid model like Super Target (and they'd be open for business today if they did).

Kohl's has a pretty good online presence (and a zillionaire owner), so they should be fine if this doesn't drag on much longer.  Macy's was holding on for dear life even when the economy was roaring.

50 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

The retail sector is beginning to crash. I don't want to speak out of school, so I can't mention names, but two massive companies, names you would all know, are swirling the drain and can't find investors. I'm currently negotiating "terms of surrender" with these companies, both of whom have 7 figure balances on arrears with the company I work for. It's getting ugly fast out there. If this co tinues for several more months, as it appears will be necessary, expect many of the places you eat/stay/shop at to no longer exist. 

Not saying we should be doing anything differently, just stating sad facts. 

Retail sector has been struggling for awhile.  This will be the nail in the coffin for a few large companies but not sure they would have survived anyway (JCP is a prime example).  

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Cheeky Monkey said:

Good thread on online grocery, ecommerce, logistics issues:

https://twitter.com/pradeep24/status/1250479128731693056?s=21

Will be interesting to see if more small-ish to mid-size cities start having large "grocery warehouses" to support ecommerce-based household food-purchasing solutions. Such warehouses could even support in-person shopping, albeit in a semi-inconvenient Service-Merchandise-type model.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

I would hope policy makers are aware of these flaws if a couple of guys on a fantasy football message board can figure it out.

well, I mean, we are kind of bad###es here so...

Edited by Nathan R. Jessep
ETA self-filter, don't tase me bro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, the moops said:

My stupid back's website is still crashed. Yay for me for choosing a small local credit union!

And after all the waiting and trying to log on, the money isn't actually in my account

It'll get there -- the first people were getting theirs this past Saturday. Just working its way around, it looks like.

Posted (edited)

Wife got her results back...."inconclusive"...they want to test her again.  Unbelievable :lol:

She's told them no and will wait for the antibody test to be available.  She's back on her feet and back to normal for the most part.  None of the rest of us have had any issues, so we will continue to do what we're doing.  Only now we can are including her as part of the family again.  I'll do the shopping and the rest stay home.  This has been quite the rollercoaster.  

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Umm...check out ANY of the first 150 pages in this thread and compare the general consensus opinion there to that of our policymakers at the time and I think you'll understand the concern

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Wife got her results back...."inconclusive"...they want to test her again.  Unbelievable :lol:

She's told them no and will wait for the antibody test to be available.  She's back on her feet and back to normal for the most part.  None of the rest of us have had any issues, so we will continue to do what we're doing.  I'll do the shopping and the rest stay home.  This has been quite the rollercoaster.  

It's a gosh darn Greek tragedy. This far in, how long did you wait? A week? Two?

Edited by beer 30
nice landmine for "gosh darn"

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

She's told them no and will wait for the antibody test to be available.  She's back on her feet and back to normal for the most part.  None of the rest of us have had any issues, so we will continue to do what we're doing.  Only now we can are including her as part of the family again.  I'll do the shopping and the rest stay home.  This has been quite the rollercoaster.  

mannn, that's frustrating! I wonder if that means they messed up the test somehow?

anyway, glad she's better :thumbup: 

Just now, beer 30 said:

It's a gosh darn Greek tragedy. This far in, how long did you wait? A week? Two?

Would be two weeks tomorrow that she started feeling the symptoms.  So, this weekend would be two weeks for the actual test.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

Umm...check out ANY of the first 150 pages in this thread and compare the general consensus opinion there to that of our policymakers at the time and I think you'll understand the concern

First page has a "but the flu kills way more", so there is that

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

mannn, that's frustrating! I wonder if that means they messed up the test somehow?

anyway, glad she's better :thumbup: 

Has to be that.  It's a standard PCR test.  You can't "kinda have the virus".  The only other option is the sample went bad while it was sitting, waiting to be processed.  That might be more likely.

Edited by The Commish

Anyone remember how to see the number of posts people have in this thread? I am hoping that will help me find my first post in this thread.

Posted (edited)

Newsom 

$125 mil individual and household package to help our frontline workers be able to do their jobs, like paid childcare. 

Edited by CurlyNight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Wonder if the next edition of the Stand will be modified/updated for the TP contingency.  

My favourite book of his.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Best Buy's suppliers were actively preparing for its bankruptcy back in the 2010-13 range.  The stock subsequently caught fire, but they just announced furloughs and I suspect they'll be in trouble again.

Edited by thecatch

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Anyone remember how to see the number of posts people have in this thread? I am hoping that will help me find my first post in this thread.

I think that went away with the board upgrade.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Has to be that.  It's a standard PCR test.  You can't "kinda have the virus".

I've read somewhere that each test is actually two tests (because of the false negatives) so it might be they got a positive and a negative result

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I was thinking that feature went away with the last big board upgrade. If there's away to do it now, I haven't been able to find it, and I've tried. 

12 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Best Buy's suppliers were actively preparing for its bankruptcy back in the 2010-13 range.  The stock subsequently caught fire, but they just announced furloughs and I suspect they'll be in trouble again.

How they survived while Circuit City (basically the same store, no?) died always befuddled me.  I'd be surprised if Best Buy makes it through.  

Newsom 

Call center to EDD expanded hours now, 8 am to 8 pm 7 days a week. 

Gavin Newsom

@GavinNewsom

·

15m

NEW: CA has 24,424 confirmed positive cases of #COVID19. 3,171 of those cases are in our hospitals. 1,175 of those are in the ICU. CA is flattening the curve -- but we MUST continue to take this seriously. Stay home. Practice physical distancing.

19 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

How they survived while Circuit City (basically the same store, no?) died always befuddled me.  I'd be surprised if Best Buy makes it through.  

In store experience sucks but I order a lot from them online. Never understood having 50 sales associates wandering the floor doing pretty much nothing.

4 hours ago, Nipsey said:

Anyone else get "Payment Status Not Available" when checking on their stimulus payment?

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Yep - here's what the IRS website says:

If you verified your identity and received “Payment Status Not Available,” this means we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. This may occur for a variety of reasons, for example, if you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.

This doesn't apply to me at all, though. Filed both years, and my '19 return has already been processed. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

In store experience sucks but I order a lot from them online. Never understood having 50 sales associates wandering the floor doing pretty much nothing.

Only place I could order a 50' Cat6 cable to work from home and receive it in three days. :thumbup:  All Amazon finds were over 10 days.

Just now, glock said:

Only place I could order a 50' Cat6 cable to work from home and receive it in three days. :thumbup:  All Amazon finds were over 10 days.

STILL not working from home.

(Apparently there are a few things that this company doesn't get done "absolutely, positively overnight!" :whistle:)

26 minutes ago, nirad3 said:
39 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Didn't Best Buy have (or still have) an online price-matching guarantee? IOW, you saw something for sale online that was cheaper than Best Buy's in-store price ... they would match it if you went into a physical Best Buy location?

Plus Geek Squad service seems to have a significant presence around here.

8 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Speaking of this, I'm reminded of an epic @General Malaise thread about Best Buy...ah, good times.

• Love 1

Ahh never mind. Stimulus will now go towards a new HVAC unit.

Lovely needing now to have people in our home to replace.

Just now, sho nuff said:

Ahh never mind. Stimulus will now go towards a new HVAC unit.

Lovely needing now to have people in our home to replace.

Lemme know if you need any help. I'm in the biz. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, caustic said:

Yep - here's what the IRS website says:

This doesn't apply to me at all, though. Filed both years, and my '19 return has already been processed. :shrug:

Same.

I guess a good thing is that toilet paper is plentiful in Canada https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-plenty-of-toilet-paper-to-go-around-canadas-biggest-producer-kruger/, there was a mini run at first butt I've had no issues since - got a 12 pack today in my latest online order from our local grocery store.

At some point I see some being traded for the N95 masks Trump stops at the border from coming up here... (yes he did that and I'm only half joking about seeing TP as leverage if this goes on much longer)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, Doug B said:
On 2/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, Mr. Ham said:

Any meetings of 100+ require on site medical staff, a medical plan, and self quarantine at any sign of symptoms.

From where you sit, does this make sense internally, or does it seem like overkill to your colleagues?

In any meeting of 100+ people ... your business is such that one can assume at least one from that group has been to China in recent weeks? Or been exposed to someone who's been to China in recent weeks?

For a group of 100 people who have only been in the U.S. in recent months ... shouldn't be any coronavirus risk at all, should there?

I think this is yout first post @Doug B

First page has a "but the flu kills way more", so there is that

"consensus opinion" was quite different early on.  heck, even Tim got on board (eventually) ;)

3 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

there was a mini run at first butt

I see what you did there

• Thanks 1

Regarding stimulus check. We received our $2,900. I'm still working and business is going great (mortgage) so I've done the following:

- $500 to my sister who does hair 

- $250 to the foundation for one of our hospitals that goes towards childcare, ppe, etc for hospital staff 

- $500 to a local non profit that helps homeless teens

- roughly $500 for food, toiletries, etc for a local non profit that is helping the general homeless population in our area during all of this

- $250 to a non profit that helps injured or abandoned wildlife that depends on visitors to their center for a large portion of their funding. 

Have the rest and some more earmarked for all of my younger siblings should they need it. 

• Like 13
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, the moops said:

I think this is yout first post @Doug B

@the moops, PM me how you found that quickly. If, instead, it was a two-hour slog ... never mind.

And thanks :thumbup:

17 hours ago, falguy said:

Worst day for deaths up here in Canada  as well. 123 when previous high was about 75.  :(

Over 100 again today. Now eclipsed 1000.  51 of those in my province (Ontario).  We're not trending in the right direction.  :sadbanana:

And just for reference, our entire Country's population is comparable to that of California so they appear small in comparison to the USA numbers. I know most of you know that but just throwing it out there.  

I have no idea what the modeling says for WI, but the numbers sure look like they are trending in the right direction. Third day in a row with fewer hospitalizations. ICU cases is basically flat for the last 7 days and total ICU available keeps going up. I assume since there are fewer accidents happening.