Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

2 hours ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

Not sure that this is a terrible stat.  They didn't go to the extreme measures and are not the worst per capita.  They probably view this as a success.  There is some argument for that.

Ask my wife. She argues about everything

I think Florida is done with quarantine. Had one friend go out on his boat Friday and Saturday. He said Friday was pretty calm, but he was on the water Saturday by 8 am. He left his first spot by 10 am because 5 other boats had shown up and anchored right next to him. Another friend got out on the water from Orange Beach, AL, and he went to Ft. McRee, which is a popular spot near Pensacola. He sent me a pic of hundreds of boats, and said it was packed like the 4th of July.

GF's daughter turned 17 yesterday and had a couple of friends over. By the time I showed up, 2 of the GF's friends had already stopped by, and it sounds like everyone is ready for divorces, and all of them want to kill their kids. Another friend popped in later. The GF and I think she's doing ok with it because they already started their summertime rules with the ex, having the kids staying at his house every other week, and that means I don't see her much on the weeks she has them. People that are stuck inside with their spouses for a month and trying to home school their children the whole time are ready to rage.

I know some will be worried about breaking social distance barriers, and what not. I'm just passing along what I see and hear. People are fed up with this, and the one opinion I have about opening up beaches, parks, and any outdoor activities, while still being diligent about social distancing, could be a way to ease some of this tension. The rubber band is about to snap.

2 hours ago, lakerstan said:

IF it is true that people can be reinfected, then words like herd immunity and antibody testing go out the window.

I hope that is not the case, but sounds like the jury may still be out on whether it is true or not.  The WHO statement that there is not yet evidence is concerning.

IMO, that was just really stupid phrasing from the WHO. There has been no reliable data on re-infections that cannot be explained by false negative/positive testing. Obviously if people did not generate antibodies, they would not get over the disease in the first place. I think the point they were going for is "We don't know if people will generate long term antibodies to this yet", seeing as how there has not been enough time yet to determine that.

• Thanks 2

Just now, huthut said:

IMO, that was just really stupid phrasing from the WHO. There has been no reliable data on re-infections that cannot be explained by false negative/positive testing. Obviously if people did not generate antibodies, they would not get over the disease in the first place. I think the point they were going for is "We don't know if people will generate long term antibodies to this yet", seeing as how there has not been enough time yet to determine that.

Same organization that said, "Don't wear masks because they don't do anything."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

I know at least one big bank is planning on just traders and at best 25% of staff with a return to cubes with plexiglass to the ceilings. 

I know my company is looking at 25-33% staffing at best (and I think that’s optimistic).  We basically have to reconfigure our entire floor as we were “open concept”.

It’s a nightmare to figure out.

This is one of the reasons I wondered if NYC would bounce back any time soon.  You really can’t socially distance and work in any real numbers.  That doesn’t even get into how do you manage your the elevators.  

If there is one good thing to come out of this perhaps cube farms will go the way of the dodo.  Those abominations need a death blow and hopefully this is it.

3 hours ago, [scooter] said:

and now we are facing the very real possibility that "flatten the curve" will end up meaning "2500 deaths per day, every day, forever". And we'll never return to normal.

Given that humanity has never successfully developed a COVID vaccine the odds of this are way higher than is generally being factored in.  We seem to be operating under the assumption that deux ex machina is 12-18 months away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I don't think anybody seriously doubts that people have some immunity to reinfection.  That's how immune systems work.  It's conceivable that this particular coronavirus might turn out to be the ultimate black swan in this dimension, but that's extremely unlikely.  Our priors should be that people who have had covid have at least some immunity from reinfection until we see really strong, clear evidence to the contrary.  We shouldn't require a lot of evidence for the proposition "This coronavirus behaves like most other viruses."  

The problem is that immunity isn't a binary thing.  There some viral diseases -- like chickenpox -- where even a mild case in childhood conveys essentially lifetime immunity,  But my understanding based on what I've learned over the past several months is that those diseases are the outliers.  The other endemic coronaviruses that we've lived with forever cause a form of the common cold.  Your immunity to the cold doesn't last very long, just a few months.  If this coronavirus is similar to other coronaviruses in that respect, that would be very bad because it implies that there will always be a large reservoir of hosts, and what we're doing now will have to become our normal routine until we develop a vaccine or much better treatments.  

Which brings up the very real possibility that effective therapeutic treatments become significantly more important down the line.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sand said:

Given that humanity has never successfully developed a COVID vaccine the odds of this are way higher than is generally being factored in.  We seem to be operating under the assumption that deux ex machina is 12-18 months away.

Well, we have never really had to, the previous SARS got contained fairly quickly and other Corona viruses have not been that dangerous for people. It is not cheap or easy to make a vaccine, so it is not like it is something people do just for fun. There are Corona virus vaccines for animals so it is not like it is impossible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I think Florida is done with quarantine. Had one friend go out on his boat Friday and Saturday. He said Friday was pretty calm, but he was on the water Saturday by 8 am. He left his first spot by 10 am because 5 other boats had shown up and anchored right next to him. Another friend got out on the water from Orange Beach, AL, and he went to Ft. McRee, which is a popular spot near Pensacola. He sent me a pic of hundreds of boats, and said it was packed like the 4th of July.

Yeah folks in N. Florida are taking this much more casually than 10 days ago. I went to the Ace Hardware store. I'm wearing a mask and multiple shoppers getting way closer than 6 feet without a mask. WTF.

I'm not seeing the outrage but i can empathize if you see your business or career going up in smoke.

Things are much different in other parts of the state than they are in South Florida.

DeSantis had an upbeat press conference in Orlando today talking about the numbers and testing. Rather lengthy PC where he brought in doctors to talk about the situation. 

I don't get the whole contact tracing thing. In my opinion, this isn't going to work one bit in the US. That system will require compliance by close to 100% of the participants for it to be effective. It will be like a family tree, but you are missing huge sections of info when one person isn't truthful or doesn't respond. We have a countty who lost their mind having to stay home for 3 weeks screaming about their rights.  Do you honestly think people are now going to comply with someone from the "Government" wanting to know where they have been and what they are doing? Oh, and let's put this app on your phone so we can track your every movement (yeah, I know that happens now but...). This just seems like a waste of money and effort for this country especially considering our lack of testing efforts. 

Sorry to be so negative, but I have zero faith in people. I say use this money for another round of stimulus checks. At least people can use that to get food.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jplvr said:

GF's daughter turned 17 yesterday and had a couple of friends over. By the time I showed up, 2 of the GF's friends had already stopped by, and it sounds like everyone is ready for divorces, and all of them want to kill their kids. Another friend popped in later. The GF and I think she's doing ok with it because they already started their summertime rules with the ex, having the kids staying at his house every other week, and that means I don't see her much on the weeks she has them. People that are stuck inside with their spouses for a month and trying to home school their children the whole time are ready to rage.

I know some will be worried about breaking social distance barriers, and what not. I'm just passing along what I see and hear. People are fed up with this, and the one opinion I have about opening up beaches, parks, and any outdoor activities, while still being diligent about social distancing, could be a way to ease some of this tension. The rubber band is about to snap.

It is kind of a science experiment. I guess keep an eye on COVID numbers around 5/10 or so to see if there is a spike in positives. If not maybe people are taking sufficient precautions when out, if so maybe people need to go back home. 

2 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

I don't get the whole contact tracing thing. In my opinion, this isn't going to work one bit in the US. That system will require compliance by close to 100% of the participants for it to be effective. It will be like a family tree, but you are missing huge sections of info when one person isn't truthful or doesn't respond. We have a countty who lost their mind having to stay home for 3 weeks screaming about their rights.  Do you honestly think people are now going to comply with someone from the "Government" wanting to know where they have been and what they are doing? Oh, and let's put this app on your phone so we can track your every movement (yeah, I know that happens now but...). This just seems like a waste of money and effort for this country especially considering our lack of testing efforts. 

Sorry to be so negative, but I have zero faith in people. I say use this money for another round of stimulus checks. At least people can use that to get food.   

I am on the same page here with contact tracing. I think a ton of people that would get the call would hang up thinking it is a scam. 

You have come in contact with somebody that has Covid 19.

Oh yeah? Who?

I cant tell you that.

Oh ok well bye then mr private number. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

Even if it just asked you to list the places you went in the last week, it could help discover new, unknown hot spots and that would be huge.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jplvr said:

Fishing in the open air, especially on a boat seems pretty damn safe to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I am on the same page here with contact tracing. I think a ton of people that would get the call would hang up thinking it is a scam. 

You have come in contact with somebody that has Covid 19.

Oh yeah? Who?

I cant tell you that.

Oh ok well bye then mr private number. 

It could prevent further spread, if you warn people to self quarantine if they have been potentially exposed it means they will not be out exposing other people while they are contagious but before they are symptomatic. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Courtjester said:

:goodposting:

You pretty much nailed it, never going to work for the reasons you mentioned. Same with testing....you can’t force people to do it. 

• Like 1

Just now, GoBirds said:

You pretty much nailed it, never going to work for the reasons you mentioned. Same with testing....you can’t force people to do it. 

Hand out the free checks to people only after they test. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Hand out the free checks to people only after they test. 

Not a  bad carrot,but there will still be plenty that say screw it. Also I don’t believe something like that requiring medical testing is legal, or at least would be a legal nightmare best case. 

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Not a  bad carrot,but there will still be plenty that say screw it. Also I don’t believe something like that requiring medical testing is legal, or at least would be a legal nightmare best case. 

For every person refusing, we save $1200. I'll let the lawyers chime in, but as long as no DNA culled or skin penetration required, I think it would not be a problem. They could even bill it as get a test and get paid, rather than get a test before we give you something you;'re entitled to.

3 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Fishing in the open air, especially on a boat seems pretty damn safe to me.

We're not talking about fishing. We're talking about people taking out boats, anchoring at a beach, drinking beer, and socializing. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fort+McRee,+Pensacola,+FL+32507/@30.3278627,-87.3223507,688m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xdf5a89853c60be2d!8m2!3d30.3261698!4d-87.3171693

That's the spot. Slammed full of boats yesterday.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

For every person refusing, we save $1200. I'll let the lawyers chime in, but as long as no DNA culled or skin penetration required, I think it would not be a problem. They could even bill it as get a test and get paid, rather than get a test before we give you something you;'re entitled to.

Yeah, the don’t infringe on my rights crowd will be an issue. I would do it in a second, unfortunately alot of our population would not i don’t think. When will you have the tests, how long realistically for something like that to get through Congress, and how long to get whoever turns out tested? It would be months, I just don’t see any scenario we shelter in place that long. 

1 minute ago, jplvr said:

We're not talking about fishing. We're talking about people taking out boats, anchoring at a beach, drinking beer, and socializing. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fort+McRee,+Pensacola,+FL+32507/@30.3278627,-87.3223507,688m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xdf5a89853c60be2d!8m2!3d30.3261698!4d-87.3171693

Man, already back to that? A lot of our population isn’t very smart unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jplvr said:

As long as each boat has people that already interacts, stay at least 6' from other boats, and practice safe distancing at the launch, I'm cool with it. 1000x safer than a barber shop, imo

Edited by cosjobs

Just now, cosjobs said:

As long as they're a in a boat that already interacts, stay at least 6' from other boats, and practice safe distancing at the launch, I'm cool with it. 1000x safer than a barber shop, imo

I'm down with that. I was supposed to go this out weekend, but the gf had a rona scare, and I hadn't yet taken the boat to the guy to fix my ignition issue when she found out. I'm telling you that those people in the pic I saw were not practicing social distancing. I'm sure many felt it was an act of defiance or whatever, and I'm just not down for that part of it yet. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, huthut said:

Well, we have never really had to, the previous SARS got contained fairly quickly and other Corona viruses have not been that dangerous for people. It is not cheap or easy to make a vaccine, so it is not like it is something people do just for fun. There are Corona virus vaccines for animals so it is not like it is impossible. 

You seem to be forgetting MERS. But that was contained within a short time because it killed too fast and was bad at transmitting human to human

3 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

No, he's definitely right and you're definitely misremembering.  The dominant narrative back in March was "We'll need to lock down for about six weeks or so, then summer will get here and we can ease up and reevaluate in the fall."  Obviously the conventional wisdom turned out to be wrong, but [scooter] is right to characterize it that way.

Agreed. I certainly thought that. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, jplvr said:

I'm down with that. I was supposed to go this out weekend, but the gf had a rona scare, and I hadn't yet taken the boat to the guy to fix my ignition issue when she found out. I'm telling you that those people in the pic I saw were not practicing social distancing. I'm sure many felt it was an act of defiance or whatever, and I'm just not down for that part of it yet. 

I hear ya. This is usually about the time we start kayaking many of the rivers and coastal areas around Tampa Bay and there’s no way that’s happening any time soon. People don’t even seem to understand being six feet apart on or near sidewalks let alone in any grocery store. For us, the launches are always problematic. Once we’re out, we’re good, but then we’re right back to crowded areas with lots of Bud Light drinking dimwits oblivious to anyone and anything but themselves. Definitely going to wait until at least Memorial Day if not longer until we even attempt another paddle outing.  

Edited by Osaurus
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, huthut said:

It could prevent further spread, if you warn people to self quarantine if they have been potentially exposed it means they will not be out exposing other people while they are contagious but before they are symptomatic. 

Believe me I want to live in this world where people would do the right thing, but small business owner who just re-opened his/her shop gets a call saying you may have been near someone who is positive, isn't going to immediately close shop again because they "may" have it. What happens then? Are we going to have the State authorties seizing or closing businesses if they do not comply? Talk about a slippery slope there. 

Nope we are firmly in the "me and I" portion of this virus. We are going to reopen everything and people are going to go about their days pretending the virus doesn't exist and then be shocked when the numbers explode. I plan on sheltering in place for as long as I am able to WFH (as I am very high risk) and then, if the virus is still raging. I may honestly consider retiring. I understand a lot of people aren't as fortunate as me and I feel terrible for those that live paycheck to paycheck (man. my family has been there) or were laid off because of this--I really do.

I never ever supported sheltering for months and months for everyone,, but the lack of a comprehsive/cohesive reopening plan will be our undoing. Case in point, our SIP  expires in our city now, but 60 miles up the road Denver is keeping their's in place. What sense does that make?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, huthut said:

I understand why in theory people want it to be done. I just think with so many people caring about privacy so their names will be withheld and the general disregard of unknown phone  numbers i dont think it would be very effective. 

22 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

You can get tested once a month for x dollars...

2 minutes ago, msommer said:

You seem to be forgetting MERS. But that was contained within a short time because it killed too fast and was bad at transmitting human to human

I had that rolled into other SARS that were contained before a vaccine was necessary. They are all Corona virus based severe respiratory diseases, just that one ended up with a different acronym due to originating in the middle east. 

2 minutes ago, huthut said:

I had that rolled into other SARS that were contained before a vaccine was necessary. They are all Corona virus based severe respiratory diseases, just that one ended up with a different acronym due to originating in the middle east. 

Also came from camels

I think the biggest test of the Sweden strategy will be the next couple weeks. Their initial surge was worse than neighboring countries but not by that much. Next, in theory, is where social distancing would have knocked down the exponential growth. If they just blow up that will show effectiveness of the social distancing. If they don’t, that might give us a roadmap to opening up and staying open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huthut said:

WHO later tweeted a clarification: "We expect that most people who are infected with #COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection."

• Like 1

On FL's Treasure Coast, people are still taking it pretty seriously at stores. Went to the hardware store this morning, just about everyone I saw was wearing a mask, myself included. I do think people are jumping the gun on opening up, because the numbers are still climbing pretty steadily, but time will tell. I hope I'm wrong and we can get back to doing stuff, but I'm not encouraged.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Courtjester said:

Pretty much sums up the reason this country is doing the worst with it. We get told something that works to mitigate the spread. Our reaction? “We’re not doing that.”

“But we stayed at home though.” Except we really didn’t. Many half heartedly did. Some did extensively, like many in this thread.

So we have a terrible death toll, a terrible economic outcome, and people tying boats together and partying. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

WHO later tweeted a clarification: "We expect that most people who are infected with #COVID19 will develop an antibody response that will provide some level of protection."

I know, but it kind of goes into the "A lie has traveled halfway around the world while the truth is still putting its shoes on" type things, even if it was not an intentional lie, especially if people can use it to drive an agenda. How many people are still using the Stanford antibody study as evidence we should open up everything because "more people are exposed" when it was later discovered it was fully within the false positive rate. People will be saying there is no point in SiP because no vaccine is coming for months after that is clarified.

Edited by huthut

8 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Pretty much sums up the reason this country is doing the worst with it. We get told something that works to mitigate the spread. Our reaction? “We’re not doing that.”

“But we stayed at home though.” Except we really didn’t. Many half heartedly did. Some did extensively, like many in this thread.

So we have a terrible death toll, a terrible economic outcome, and people tying boats together and partying. 

We were always going to have the biggest problem if it hit here due to our independence and overwhelming stupidity. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, jplvr said:

If it’s true (probably is) that direct sunlight kills it in a couple minutes, then being outdoors at a safe distance (think 6 feet is too close), seems safe  - especially in warm climates in peak of day. Problem is that much of our population thinks in binary fashion, and sucks at math and science. They’ll figure they didn’t get it on the lake, so start relaxing other activities that aren’t safe, until it’s a problem.

We’re inordinately dumb at understanding large samples and mathematical certainties. “I didn’t get it” becomes fuel to take more risks, and that behavior at scale leads to predictable curves that cost lives.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Exactly. Most people are dumb and selfish and they'll use any excuse/crappy logic to do what they WANT to do.

And because of that, leadership has to play to the lowest common denominator.  We're not allowed to partake in safe activities because then a bunch of morons will say "well, if they can do x, I'm going to have a BBQ" or "I'm going to go to church" or "I'm going to go visit my mother in her nursing home"

Those things aren't safe right now, but morons don't understand that. And I honestly have no idea how in the world we get past that if people (other then front line workers and their immediate contacts) are still dumb enough to get sick in late April (given what anyone with a brain was able to figure out by late March at the latest)

I mean, we still have ####heads that can't follow simple instructions like only walking one way in a grocery store aisle. The giant orange arrows on the floor simply aren't enough warning for the average American who just can't spend an extra 30 seconds going the long way around to grab their 2 gallon tub of ice cream

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

If it’s true (probably is) that direct sunlight kills it in a couple minutes, then being outdoors at a safe distance (think 6 feet is too close), seems safe  - especially in warm climates in peak of day. Problem is that much of our population thinks in binary fashion, and sucks at math and science. They’ll figure they didn’t get it on the lake, so start relaxing other activities until it’s a problem.

Jacksonville is a week into their reopening, and places like Georgia and Texas will give a test on what might happen soon. I will continue to pick my spots, but my buddy that went to McRee doesn’t care one bit. He’s easily the dumbest person I talk to on a semi regular basis, but that has been diminishing for a while. 

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Exhausting.  You people are absolutely exhausting.  Normalcy bias made this worse than it should have been and now your normalcy bias is gonna make this longer and more painful.  Lack of imagination from those same people who call us the greatest country on earth.  I really don't get it.  Truly, I don't.  I, and others , have explained it several times by now.  Other countries are doing it right now. But the myopia is strong with you all.  And your lack of imagination will undoubtedly prove you all correct via self-fulfilling prophecy.  Well done.  You win.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, jplvr said:

My prediction is that all (or most) beaches in FL open on May 1st. Restaurants/bars/movies/etc. will probably stay closed.

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/25/florida-governor-keep-movie-theaters-closed-no-sporting-events-until-far-in-the-future-1280052

1 hour ago, Capella said:

We were always going to have the biggest problem if it hit here due to our independence and overwhelming stupidity. 

we’re #1!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

Exhausting.  You people are absolutely exhausting.  Normalcy bias made this worse than it should have been and now your normalcy bias is gonna make this longer and more painful.  Lack of imagination from those same people who call us the greatest country on earth.  I really don't get it.  Truly, I don't.  I, and others , have explained it several times by now.  Other countries are doing it right now. But the myopia is strong with you all.  And your lack of imagination will undoubtedly prove you all correct via self-fulfilling prophecy.  Well done.  You win.

Lack of imagination? :lmao:

6 hours ago, [scooter] said:

When the virus first started to spread, the authorities and the experts said "We need to flatten the curve so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed!" And we all nodded our heads in agreement because it seemed like sound advice. And most of us assumed that the shelter-in-place would only last for a few weeks, then everything would return to normal.

And now we are facing the very real possibility that "flatten the curve" will end up meaning "2500 deaths per day, every day, forever". And we'll never return to normal.

I wonder if people would have reacted differently a month ago, if they knew that "normal" was a pipe dream. Maybe the collective response would have been, "Let's take our chances."?

The “let’s take our chances model” is what initial initial worst case scenarios were forecasting, with COVID-19 deaths in the millions and a bunch of other deaths from healthcare collapse. Not a good trade-off IMO.

Normal will have to adapt, but nothing lasts forever.

4 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Lack of imagination? :lmao:

Yes.  Exactly.

And yes, I was referring to you and courtjester as I was responding to GoBirds.

• Love 1

Guys you just arent creative enough. I mean those creative south koreans creatively came up with a way to pinpoint exactly where you were and who you were with at all times and can quarantine all of these same people within an hour. 

Just have to think outside the box guys, i mean thats not an issue of giving up freedoms or weird surveillance that surely would never be misused in the future, you just arent being right brained enough. 

Wait until you guys urn how creative the chinese are. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Guys you just arent creative enough. I mean those creative south koreans creatively came up with a way to pinpoint exactly where you were and who you were with at all times and can quarantine all of these same people within an hour. 

Just have to think outside the box guys, i mean thats not an issue of giving up freedoms or weird surveillance that surely would never be misused in the future, you just arent being right brained enough. 

Wait until you guys urn how creative the chinese are. 

Yep, you nailed it alright. Nothing like a hyperbolic strawman argument to show that you've really captured the nuance of the debate.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1