Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

9 minutes ago, the rover said:

No that’s how studies work.  

it’s unethical to start administering it as “compassionate care” as you suggested.

Compassionate care has been happening with this drug for months though. That was unethical?

8 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

My wife is heavy into social media and has decided this is all overblown and a hoax by rich people and they are doing this for... reasons. She keeps saying “Everything is going to open back up on May 1.” As in, a couple days from now? Are you kidding me? 

she also believes that Bill Gates is trying to inject everyone with a tracker so that “they” can keep track of everything we do and say. 

To be fair, the bedroom performance has exponentially improved in the past few years.

Start hiding... me?

if true, seems like FBGs would be "in the know".  did I miss a meeting?

9 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

My wife is heavy into social media and has decided this is all overblown and a hoax by rich people and they are doing this for... reasons. She keeps saying “Everything is going to open back up on May 1.” As in, a couple days from now? Are you kidding me? 

she also believes that Bill Gates is trying to inject everyone with a tracker so that “they” can keep track of everything we do and say. 

To be fair, the bedroom performance has exponentially improved in the past few years.

Start hiding... me?

Is that your actual wife in your profile picture? 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

7 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Yes. Maybe not "business as usual", but close to the other side of something. Reuters is reporting the federal gov't. is going to fast track to have 100m doses of a vaccine ready in fall 2020.

You live in TX? 29.9 million residents. 730 fatalities. Hospitals not overrun. I am a big social distancing, flatten the curve proponent. It's time to start understanding that we can do this wisely.

I agree with you and am as optimistic as I've ever been.  I think we've learned alot about this virus already, although neither how nor what I expected to have learned by now.  I imagined that we'd have massive testing and tracing in place by now, would have been messaging the value of masks and social distancing as an act of patriotism & solidarity, and that we'd be have several drugs that were seeing positive signs (i.e. similar to where remdesivir is today).

OTOH, I did not (in my wildest dreams) expect the mortality to be potentially* be as low as .5%, nor did I imagine that we'd have executed to quarantining as well as we have for as long as we have, nor did I imagine we'd have developed as much in-the-moment treatment knowledge (i.e. keep patients on stomach, avoid ventilators unless absolutley necessary), nor did I imagine that there'd be as many asymptomatic people as there appear to be.

I said to my teenage children that, we humans got to where we are today by being the most creative, adaptable species this planet has ever seen.  We are gonna do things over the next 6 months that you couldn't have imagined.

Yes, there WILL be a second wave when we open things back up, but we'll employ the above learnings and we'll be fine.  We aren't going back to normal anytime soon.  But we will get back to living.  It'll just be a different type of living.  Some will take risks we think are foolish (Chicago house party), others will lightly mock our decisions fastidiousness (constant mask wearing, frequent hand-washing, no handshakes for the next 18 months, staying 12 feet away from grandma, etc.)

Anyway, no one has ever accused me of being overly optimistic, but I am more optimistic than some here that I started this journey with 722 pages ago.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Not only that, but I’m not inclined to get a vaccine that is pushed out that quickly, or certainly allowing my family to get it on a rushed schedule. I’m no anti-vaxxer by a long shot, but there’s a reason these things take years to test and get to market. A vaccine is not something to cut corners with. If the government pushes that schedule, I’m particularly dubious. There needs to be independent oversight and authority to make the call on when it’s safe to release.

Yeah, cue Will Smith and I am Legend.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Not only that, but I’ll be damned if I’m getting a vaccine that is pushed out that quickly. I’m no anti-vaxxer by a long shot, but there’s a reason these things take years to test and get to market. A vaccine is not something to cut corners with. 

And it might smell like Lysol

(I couldn't think of a funny "disinfectant" joke, so I went with what I had)

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

I agree with you and am as optimistic as I've ever been.  I think we've learned alot about this virus already, although neither how nor what I expected to have learned by now.  I imagined that we'd have massive testing and tracing in place by now, would have been messaging the value of masks and social distancing as an act of patriotism & solidarity, and that we'd be have several drugs that were seeing positive signs (i.e. similar to where remdesivir is today).

OTOH, I did not (in my wildest dreams) expect the mortality to be potentially* be as low as .5%, nor did I imagine that we'd have executed to quarantining as well as we have for as long as we have, nor did I imagine we'd have developed as much in-the-moment treatment knowledge (i.e. keep patients on stomach, avoid ventilators unless absolutley necessary), nor did I imagine that there'd be as many asymptomatic people as there appear to be.

I said to my teenage children that, we humans got to where we are today by being the most creative, adaptable species this planet has ever seen.  We are gonna do things over the next 6 months that you couldn't have imagined.

Yes, there WILL be a second wave when we open things back up, but we'll employ the above learnings and we'll be fine.  We aren't going back to normal anytime soon.  But we will get back to living.  It'll just be a different type of living.  Some will take risks we think are foolish (Chicago house party), others will lightly mock our decisions fastidiousness (constant mask wearing, frequent hand-washing, no handshakes for the next 18 months, staying 12 feet away from grandma, etc.)

Anyway, no one has ever accused me of being overly optimistic, but I am more optimistic than some here that I started this journey with 722 pages ago.

Many great points here.   I don’t know if I can expound much further.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

Not only that, but I’m not inclined to get a vaccine that is pushed out that quickly, or certainly allowing my family to get it on a rushed schedule. I’m no anti-vaxxer by a long shot, but there’s a reason these things take years to test and get to market. A vaccine is not something to cut corners with. If the government pushes that schedule, I’m particularly dubious. There needs to be independent oversight and authority to make the call on when it’s safe to release.

Agree, rushing it is a terrible idea. If the antibody tests are anywhere close to being accurate (.5% death rate), we don’t need to fast track, or cut corners, on vaccines or medications.  

Edited by shader

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

Good post. Reason I don’t share the optimism, despite excellent points about strides made very quickly to date, is because so much of or economy isn’t and can’t be digital and tens of millions will be out of work, supply chains will be disrupted, and thousands of business will shutter. People will not go back to public life after the emotional reality that this reoccurs and there are risks to being indoors with groups. I also suspect given we’re dealing with an RNA virus with multiple strains, that we aren’t just apt to see the progression of this one virus until we reach herd immunity. I think it’s likely we’re in a semi-permanent state of sickness until we have battle tested drugs approved and scaled into mass production. It’s also possible that’s some of the strains will exceed .05% death rate... though hopefully not.

Edited by Mr. Ham

11 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Looks like a Mad Lib.

"The Trump administration is _____________ coronavirus ___________ with the goal of ____________ by ___________, a ___________ administration official said on ______________."

No source, no details, no nothing.

• Laughing 1

New high in deaths today (2700) and people want to re-open. lol 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

:goodposting:

This is how the zombie apocalypse starts.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, msommer said:

Screen arrivals too. If positive then they go in quarantine for 14 days

I like that idea too, but it creates many more logistic issues after you've left your home airport.

HI is currently doing it though (you need to prove you have a place to stay during the quarantine). Tough to enforce without a single designated area, but a side benefit has been shipping prospective homeless people back to wherever they came from.

9 hours ago, guru_007 said:

This is one of my "issues" of when to open up. Different scientists, different experts can say completely different things.  In short, no one knows.  One set of models or scientists will say certain states are good to open up May 1.  Others will say you need to wait until June 15th for the exact same area.  It's not black or white.

As far as vaccines go - the one's that MAY be available this fall may just be for emergency use - say for first responders.  Production for the masses which Gottlieb was talking about was late next year, but really he has nfi.  No one can say how fast these things can be produced/distributed.  Hell, there hasn't been one approved yet, and we can't even roll out testing to the states on a widespread, effective basis.  Nuke the planet from orbit if you ask me, it's the only way to be sure.

You might not find universal agreement in a reopening date, but there is near consensus in the scientific community what constitutes opening too early.

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Who knew epidemiology could be so inexact

I believe someone* once said "no one knew healthcare could be so complicated."  So, there's that. :)

*Not a political statement.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Now I know where all the failed meteorologists go. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 5

1 hour ago, Battersbox said:

Compassionate care has been happening with this drug for months though. That was unethical?

It was done as part of 5 different studies, not on a standard of care or by request basis.  

That being said, about 25% of patients receiving it have severe side effects, including multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome, septic shock, acute kidney injury and low blood pressure. Another 23% demonstrated evidence of liver damage on lab tests.

Given those results, yes, compassionate use is probably unethical.  

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Capella said:

This is the thing. Nothing has changed fundamentally for a challenged 12 month outlook, expect for a sunny attitude. Gilead news is not Earth shattering, and drug wouldn’t be widely available until late next year earliest.

Antibody testing is encouraging regarding lower death rate, but there are a lot of discouraging things about this virus, too, such as possibility of reoccurrence and longterm damage in some younger patients. Hope things stabilize, but not sure there’s anything but a narrative that’s emerged that suggests that’s the case.

Edited by Mr. Ham

New hospitalizations were up slightly for the first time in 12 days in NY. Restart the clock?

23 minutes ago, -fish- said:

It was done as part of 5 different studies, not on a standard of care or by request basis.  

Where is the quoted from concerning septic shock, kidney damage, etc? I'd like to read it. 

We can agree to disagree about whether compassionate use is ethical or unethical, I guess.

Day to day numbers will fluctuate.

Social distancing has been working.

People are TIRED of social distancing, of being out of work, of not being able to go where they want, when they want.

There will be huge pressure to re-open as already exists, and many places will re-open quickly.  Many of these places will see a spike in months again and perhaps cause another round of closures.

I just hope the second wave, like the Spanish flu, isn't more devastating than the first.

I expect the entire country to be opened up again 3rd week of May.  What happens after that is likely to vary from region to region, but I suspect rolling waves of saturated healthcare systems and major death.  The question will be whether the response to it will be shutting back down, or staying open saying it's necessary...gonna be interesting times for sure.

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

I'll eat my shoe if this is ready by October.

Leather sole? Uppers? Just checking for posterity ;) 

1 hour ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

Start hiding... me?

Money, start hiding money. Really CDH, this isn't rocket surgery. Enjoy the crazy while you can!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

Not only that, but I’m not inclined to get a vaccine that is pushed out that quickly

Oh come on. It's a stable of the zombie lit, the government mandated vaccine that ends up turning everyone into zombies. You can't deny the real preppers their day.....
;) 

Edited by msommer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

####

1 hour ago, Terminalxylem said:

I like that idea too, but it creates many more logistic issues after you've left your home airport.

HI is currently doing it though (you need to prove you have a place to stay during the quarantine). Tough to enforce without a single designated area, but a side benefit has been shipping prospective homeless people back to wherever they came from.

Nah, just use the empty hotels for quarantine. Have the quarantainees pay for the pleasure

58 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Everyone? 
Anders Tegnell?
Boris?

What do I win?

1 hour ago, Mr. Ham said:

I also will not be getting an imaginary vaccine. 

• Like 1

Just now, msommer said:

Everyone? 
Anders Tegnell?
Boris?

What do I win?

:diamond:

A DIAMOND!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, -fish- said:
1 hour ago, Battersbox said:

That being said, about 25% of patients receiving it have severe side effects, including multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome, septic shock, acute kidney injury and low blood pressure. Another 23% demonstrated evidence of liver damage on lab tests.

First, do no harm

4 minutes ago, adonis said:

People are TIRED of social distancing, of being out of work, of not being able to go where they want, when they want.

There will be huge pressure to re-open as already exists, and many places will re-open quickly.  Many of these places will see a spike in months again and perhaps cause another round of closures.

I just hope the second wave, like the Spanish flu, isn't more devastating than the first.

I expect the entire country to be opened up again 3rd week of May.  What happens after that is likely to vary from region to region, but I suspect rolling waves of saturated healthcare systems and major death.  The question will be whether the response to it will be shutting back down, or staying open saying it's necessary...gonna be interesting times for sure.

We aren't gonna shut down again.  Not entire states anyway.  Maybe cities, maybe counties but not states.  And only long enough to give the healthcare system a brief respite.  People are gonna need to protect themselves.  Unfortunately that means some frontline workers are gonna be put in some VERY difficult and unfair positions where their work is open, their mgmt isn't on the frontline, and the frontline staff don't feel safe. Sad.

And fwiw, am not saying this is what should happen, but do think it will happen.  And do think there will be a next wave that is equal to this one (heck this is still peaking in most places).

3 minutes ago, msommer said:

First, do no harm

53 of 1800 participating showed improvement.  That's about 3%.    48% showed severe side effects.   Odd thing is that the Chinese study said that it didn't have negative effects, it just didn't do anything more than the placebo.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

We aren't gonna shut down again.  Not entire states anyway.  Maybe cities, maybe counties but not states.  And only long enough to give the healthcare system a brief respite.  People are gonna need to protect themselves.  Unfortunately that means some frontline workers are gonna be put in some VERY difficult and unfair positions where their work is open, their mgmt isn't on the frontline, and the frontline staff don't feel safe. Sad.

And fwiw, am not saying this is what should happen, but do think it will happen.  And do think there will be a next wave that is equal to this one (heck this is still peaking in most places).

I don’t know that we can avoid the exponentials and run on resources without full shutdowns, but we’ll see. Seems to be a lot riding on assumptions this will get seasonal slowdown, and I sure hope that happens. If it doesn’t, then remember we’re still seeing numbers peak in many places after a month of historically low inactivity. Again, even if we get seasonal relief, unless something changes that has not yet, we face a probable mass rise in cases compounded by other seasonal illnesses that complicate diagnosis in Fall. 

Past pandemics have all had waves.

I really don’t want to be the pessimist here, but I don’t think there is as much to be optimistic about yet as seems to be permeating as cases still rise and deaths still mount. Let’s not forget that this all started like a forest fire with tiny sparks, and we have a ton of brittle woods left as fuel. 

The shutdown has been like having scattered showers, but the fire is still burning, and the forecast calls for dry weather. To continue the analogy, in the Fall it will be hot with Santa Ana winds, and there are sure to be embers.

All of this gets complicated because RNA viruses are inherently hard to treat because of how they infect cells and where they penetrate physiologically. 

I understand minimizing this because the economic risks to large populations exceed the health risks. It may be appropriate to do so. But I think there’s some false hope that will get a reality check.

Edited by Mr. Ham
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, -fish- said:

53 of 1800 participating showed improvement.  That's about 3%.    48% showed severe side effects.   Odd thing is that the Chinese study said that it didn't have negative effects, it just didn't do anything more than the placebo.

Ok, what is this from?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:
37 minutes ago, adonis said:

I think NY has a good template for managing by data (versus making an emotional choice “we have to reopen because protestors are on the steps of the capital!”)

3 “dials” to monitor

• hospitalization capacity - if you are at 70% or below capacity for beds and ICU beds then you should be able to withstand seasonal flu + the fall wave assuming R0 of <1.0. But if your capacity is at 70% and the transmission rate is 1.1 or above, you’re two weeks away from overwhelming the hospital system.

• infection rate %, by county/region (this is critical - the antibody testing gives us info we didn’t have before.) This will tell us when to sound the alarm bells. Simple finger p r I c k blood sample, results in two days, will be easy to make this widely available

• diagnostic tests (positive or negative for Covid 19) - we have to keep ramping up testing.

Each region will have a little different plan.

For NYS:

5 boroughs of the City, Nassau, Westchester & Rockland are high infection rates counties (high for % of antibodies), we have to go slow until we’ve met the CDC guidelines.

Suffolk and all the counties north & west are lower. Lots of upstate rural areas at 1.2% to 2.6%. They can reopen faster.

Industries opening will vary based on how well we can social distance, provide PPE, and testing (temperature checks when workers arrive.)

Construction and manufacturing can go first. Those are a lot of jobs & we can easily protect them while getting them up. Offices can continue to WFH. It’s trickier for retail & hospitality. Is it even viable to open bars & restaurants while social distancing? 

It’s doable. Just have to plan it out.

The overarching theme should be “Let’s plan for the worst and hope for the best.” Based on what’s happening with the “3 dials” above you can go faster or slow down.

But if instead we decide “Let’s plan for the best possible outcome and hope the worst case never comes”, you’ve lost the ability to adequately adjust. It will be too late, the hospitals will get overwhelmed, people will die preventable deaths.

We can do this. But we have to be smart.

Data drives decisions. Leave the emotions out if it. We ALL want to get on with our lives, but let’s not undo the good we have accomplished in the last 6 weeks.

Edited by BobbyLayne
language filter p r I c k
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I'll vote Trump if this actually happens. 

If a vaccine is developed it is probably more in spite of Trump than because of him. At the very least, it is a neutra proposition

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

Start hiding... me?

I have exactly the same girl....sex has always been amazing.  Pick your poison.

19 minutes ago, Battersbox said:

Ok, what is this from?

didn't save the link, but if you search for compassionate use of remdesivir it's one of the first links you'll find. 

This is neither the Gilead study, which had no control, or the NIAID study, which is what Fauci was talking about and which the FDA is basing its emergency use approval on.  This is based on tracking outcomes of compassionate use, so the people tracked were probably very ill to begin with.   You wouldn't expect a lot of positive outcomes.  

the numbers and stories coming out of Brazil, Ecuador, Peru are a bit scary

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

It’s gotta be way worse (& unknown, lightly reported) in Venezuela. They basically went into this with no viable health care system, public health was in shambles before their first case.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Sad 1

Talked to a family friend that lives in Bali.   They don't have a lot of cases there, but it's under a military lockdown.  Just about everything is closed, nobody is working and food is scarce.   Sent them some money to live on---enough for 3 months or so.   Family of 6 was living on what they could forage from the jungle.   Now they can actually buy some food.

We have people complaining about not getting to go to Cheesecake Factory.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Sad 6

14 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

Yes, the numbers have been climbing steadily for days.  Per Covid worldometers, Brazil added about 6,500 cases today, the most outside the U.S.  Their reported cases of over 80,000 will pass China tomorrow.  Ecuador a little lighter today, but new cases in Peru up about 9%.  None of them are very high up in the cases per 1 million ..yet.  

Overall, over 80,000 new cases today and over 6,400 deaths.  The oddities are a late spike in reported deaths yesterday in the U.K. - over 4,200 (and today back under 800).  And today, Tanzania added 181 new cases on a base of 299!  

24 minutes ago, Tolstoy said:

I think that the numbers that come out of South America and Africa won't be too bad.  But the reality on the ground will be terrible.  The next few weeks could be horrific in those countries, and as you're saying, they possibly already are.

The issue I have with stories from there is that I don't read the language, and sometimes I"ll see a link, but how do I know if that's a reputable website in that country?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, shader said:

I think that the numbers that come out of South America and Africa won't be too bad.  But the reality on the ground will be terrible.  The next few weeks could be horrific in those countries, and as you're saying, they possibly already are.

The issue I have with stories from there is that I don't read the language, and sometimes I"ll see a link, but how do I know if that's a reputable website in that country?

Every country has a Coronavirus [Wikipedia] page [which is updated daily]. For example:

Venezuela

It’s a good starting point for backstory & overview.

Edited by BobbyLayne

3 hours ago, Mr. Ham said:

We are so irrational about this. I don’t understand how we think this won’t progress when “reopening,” and markets are recovering on news that a drug with limited potential effectiveness is years away from approval. Doesn’t make sense and isn’t baking in the disruptions past Q3. Attitude seems to be like we’re close to the other side of something. I agree this is unlikely to become the nightmare of overrun hospitals everywhere, but only by cycling in and out of lockdowns. 

Does anyone really feel like we’re past the worst of this and on a trajectory to business as usual within a year?

Right now it feels like a lot of people are acting like this is almost over and it is time to party, at least on social media. We have 2-4 weeks to see on the outcome of all the states that are opening up. If they look ok, maybe things will get better. If they look bad everyone is going to lock down harder. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, so it's time to talk about that precious W.H.O. 

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward

Ryan noted that instead of lockdowns, the country has “put in place a very strong public policy around social distancing, around caring and protecting people in long term care facilities.”

My, how common sense of them.

I'd wait for other sources to start reporting this story but something tells me they'd rather not talk about it.

FYI: The only thing I agree with in this article is Sweden targeting it's efforts to the vulnerable and elderly. That's becoming more obvious by the day as the best overall approach. I continue to think W.H.O. is a joke.

Edited by Mr Anonymous