What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (6 Viewers)

How much do you think Oregon would make playing in an empty stadium versus a full stadium somewhere else?  If Jerryworld offers $4 million, I think Oregon jumps on it.  IF Ohio State is allowing fans at the home game, they may switch with some concessions from Oregon.
They'll still get TV revenue and Phil Knight isn't hurting for cash.   They're not giving up a home game, even in an empty stadium, to play OSU at a neutral site.
Colin Cowherd claims USC/Alabama is already dead since Alabama can practice and USC can't.   Claims entire Pac-12 season being moved to spring and they'll just play each other.

Large sections of the brp near Asheville closed to keep tourists away.  I feel for the citizens of the area facing increasing risks because people want to vacation. 
We won't be stopping on the parkway so the closed facilities isn't a big concern (nor is increasing risks to citizens of the area :lol: ). 

Actually went into work for a bit today. As I was driving, I was thinking how I can't remember the last time I went to the gas station. Of course, low fuel light came on so I filled up. Was curious, so just looked that my credit card transactions. March 19th was the last time I bought gas. Crazy.

Good piece on the relative risks of different activities as we reopen:   Link
This is a good read, thank you.
It really is great. And man, Bob was a menace

Birthday parties / funerals: Just to see how simple infection-chains can be, this is a real story from Chicago. The name is fake. Bob was infected but didn't know. Bob shared a takeout meal, served from common serving dishes, with 2 family members. The dinner lasted 3 hours. The next day, Bob attended a funeral, hugging family members and others in attendance to express condolences. Within 4 days, both family members who shared the meal are sick. A third family member, who hugged Bob at the funeral became sick. But Bob wasn't done. Bob attended a birthday party with 9 other people. They hugged and shared food at the 3 hour party. Seven of those people became ill. Over the next few days Bob became sick, he was hospitalized, ventilated, and died.

But Bob's legacy lived on. Three of the people Bob infected at the birthday went to church, where they sang, passed the tithing dish etc. Members of that church became sick. In all, Bob was directly responsible for infecting 16 people between the ages of 5 and 86. Three of those 16 died.

The spread of the virus within the household and back out into the community through funerals, birthdays, and church gatherings is believed to be responsible for the broader transmission of COVID-19 in Chicago.

Pretty interesting stats (from 2010)....

65%: The percentage of people who entered a nursing home who died within one year of admission.

Five months: The typical length of nursing-home stay for patients who eventually died in the nursing home.

40%: The expected percentage of deaths in the U.S. occurring in nursing homes by 2020. (almost like they knew ahead of time?)
All that may be true, but if so then there are also a lot of people dying with many, many years left because a recent study showed that the average Covid death takes more than a decade off of the person's expected life.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/people-coronavirus-dying-10-years-earlier-naturally-study/story?id=70511494

All that may be true, but if so then there are also a lot of people dying with many, many years left because a recent study showed that the average Covid death takes more than a decade off of the person's expected life.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/people-coronavirus-dying-10-years-earlier-naturally-study/story?id=70511494
The study, which is still awaiting peer review to ensure accuracy and validity, confirms what should seem obvious, but is nevertheless sobering: COVID-19 is not killing people who are already near death, rather it's claiming the lives of many people more than a decade before their time.

Not sure there is enough data for this study imo

It's tough to align their findings with reality. It must be something for the actuaries. 

The layman like me sees average Covid death in the U.S. is basically the same as average life expectancy and wonders how then this disease could be removing 10 life-years from people on average.

Unless what I've seen is wrong about average age of Covid death. I'd read it was virtually the same as what we currently know for regular life expectancy. 

Morton Muffley said:

No dispute and it's all terrible.  It's a little more real to me when its in my zip code.

For what its worth, there is a nursing home (Highlands Lake Center) one mile from my girlfriends house that has at least 16 deaths.  Our county has 33 total deaths.  About 750,000 total residents.  16 in one location.  Our county has about 20 total deaths due to COVID in nursing homes.  Well over 50%. 

COVID is real, I'm a supporter of reasonable steps to control and don't opine on what is the right way to handle.  It's simply data and only posted for perspective. 

Last edited by a moderator:
my factory has remained open. We have been checking everyones temps every day for the past few weeks.  Apparently 26 people were sent home today.  

:scared:

the moops said:
Actually went into work for a bit today. As I was driving, I was thinking how I can't remember the last time I went to the gas station. Of course, low fuel light came on so I filled up. Was curious, so just looked that my credit card transactions. March 19th was the last time I bought gas. Crazy.
I've put more gas in my boat than my truck last two months

Battersbox said:
It's tough to align their findings with reality. It must be something for the actuaries. 

The layman like me sees average Covid death in the U.S. is basically the same as average life expectancy and wonders how then this disease could be removing 10 life-years from people on average.

Unless what I've seen is wrong about average age of Covid death. I'd read it was virtually the same as what we currently know for regular life expectancy. 
Well, I think we can certainly trust that the age of the average Covid victim is correct.  But just because it is high (82 I believe) and similar too the avg life expectancy doesn't mean the average 82 year old will die that year.  Getting to 82 suggests that one has a few years left on average.  

https://www.blueprintincome.com/tools/life-expectancy-calculator-how-long-will-i-live/

Well, I think we can certainly trust that the age of the average Covid victim is correct.  But just because it is high (82 I believe) and similar too the avg life expectancy doesn't mean the average 82 year old will die that year.  Getting to 82 suggests that one has a few years left on average.  

https://www.blueprintincome.com/tools/life-expectancy-calculator-how-long-will-i-live/
Yes, that makes sense. 10 years still surprising, but I see where you're coming from.

-fish- said:
Good piece on the relative risks of different activities as we reopen:   Link
Highly recommend  this article. Seemed objective and logically made a lot of sense of what to focus on. Being inside for long periods of time with circulated air is highest risk while being outside generally seems pretty low risk. 

Battersbox said:

The smallest number of years lost for men in any bracket was 1.40 years. And that was with 10 comorbities. 

Morton Muffley said:

Nursing home is typically pretty far along in the process of dying.  There are all kinds of shared living spaces, assisted living communities, Alzheimer's wards and etc with largely healthy people.  It's my understanding that COVID is hitting all of these hard -- nursing homes in particular because that's where the oldest and sickest people are, but not just those.

Highly recommend  this article. Seemed objective and logically made a lot of sense of what to focus on. Being inside for long periods of time with circulated air is highest risk while being outside generally seems pretty low risk. 
It is basically a regurgitation of rhe quillette piece. As I was reading it i could tell. At least she mentions it at the end.

Don Hutson said:
I'm really having trouble understanding why people think wearing a mask is so bad.  It's not uncomfortable at all.  And it seems to be the tough guys that are whining the most.  I guess a guy can have tattoos, motorcycles, and a bunch of guns but their delicate snowflake of a face is too sensitive to handle wearing a mask.  Actually, it seems to be big, tough guys that whine the most about everything.
That's because they are not really tough. The baddest mf I know is quiet and unassuming.

D-Day said:
I wear a mask whenever I go out.  As a matter of fact, I think women are finding me more attractive wearing a mask than not.  

Wait.   :bag:
Somewhat related. I plan on wearing a mask out for potentially months to protect my wife. Has anyone dropped a link of decent looking masks in this thread? I’ll wear what I’ve got, but I’m probably in this for the long haul and might as well feel as confident as possible with what I’ve got. 

Somewhat related. I plan on wearing a mask out for potentially months to protect my wife. Has anyone dropped a link of decent looking masks in this thread? I’ll wear what I’ve got, but I’m probably in this for the long haul and might as well feel as confident as possible with what I’ve got. 
I ordered some of these. https://www.birdwell.com Gotta at least look decent.

My favorite customers right now are those who are wearing their masks like a a facial/chin guard while talking on the phone. LOVE INTERRUPTING their so important convo to tell them either keep the mask on or finish your call outside and then comeback in. 

Had 5 customers come in with licenses expired pre March 15 (State has told us march 15 and later expired is ok without a temporary or renewed license) with no temporary license. They all use the same excuse where do I go then for a new ID. I tell them you had 2 months prior and your could've asked for a temporary by going on the state website. One person tried to pull this with me with an expired iD from January 2019. I told them they had zero excuses that shouldn't have been renewed by now. Best part is all the customers who get annoyed by these people and give them the dirty looks. 

Favorite was the kid who came in looking like he was 16 with NO ID. I told him there is no way as a responsible Liquor seller am I going to give this to you without ID. Even if I wasn't required to ask for my own safety and my employer I'd ask you for your ID because of how young looking you are. Kid acted like I was flat-out gonna give it to him without an issue. 

Cal state Universities announce that all 23 of its campuses will be online during the fall. 

I suspect that all the other Cal universities will be under tremendous pressure to follow. 

My favorite customers right now are those who are wearing their masks like a a facial/chin guard while talking on the phone. LOVE INTERRUPTING their so important convo to tell them either keep the mask on or finish your call outside and then comeback in. 

Had 5 customers come in with licenses expired pre March 15 (State has told us march 15 and later expired is ok without a temporary or renewed license) with no temporary license. They all use the same excuse where do I go then for a new ID. I tell them you had 2 months prior and your could've asked for a temporary by going on the state website. One person tried to pull this with me with an expired iD from January 2019. I told them they had zero excuses that shouldn't have been renewed by now. Best part is all the customers who get annoyed by these people and give them the dirty looks. 

Favorite was the kid who came in looking like he was 16 with NO ID. I told him there is no way as a responsible Liquor seller am I going to give this to you without ID. Even if I wasn't required to ask for my own safety and my employer I'd ask you for your ID because of how young looking you are. Kid acted like I was flat-out gonna give it to him without an issue. 
Brings up a great question - how is possible to compare the picture on the ID with the person in front of you?  Unless my ID says I'm a 90 year old black woman while I am clearly a 16 year old white boy, are you asking people to remove their masks for a better look?

ETA - I just thought about the reverse too.  Can a customer demand to see your ID, to prove you are of age to sell?  If not, seems like a good time for a sketchy owner to have his/her teenagers working for them.

Brings up a great question - how is possible to compare the picture on the ID with the person in front of you?  Unless my ID says I'm a 90 year old black woman while I am clearly a 16 year old white boy, are you asking people to remove their masks for a better look?
All in the eyes. I asked a local cop who is one of my customers this exact question he said you can tell by their eyes. Plus the bolded is also another reason we check both sides the pic for Expiration and then back to scan. I've a few customers try to trick us having someone else's ID. I don't sell it to them but let them go with we are letting you go this time but it's illegal to use another persons ID or for them to use it to buy it for you we can call the cops for this but we will let you off on a one time get out of jail free card. 

I look at it this way. We have to check to make sure the person we are selling too fits this criteria 

1. Legal age to buy 

2. Not an at risk person who drives drunk or already appears to be a VIP (needs to breath into a tube to start the car Red Boarder ID)

3. Legal ID (License, state issued Walkers ID, Military, Passport, gun License acceptable IDs)

4. Scan the back to match UPC with AGE date on license (No we aren't tracking how much booze you drink. If my computers tried to do that the whole system in the store would crash and it'd take days to fix)

This protects us that if the ID scans and is okayed and we find out later the person is underage we can show documented proof we followed protocol. If Computer took the ID as legit we aren't in trouble. It also shows we are responsible liquor sellers. 

The REAL REASONS FOR ALL THIS: 

1. My Union President owns state Liquor stores and games more from them then the grocery business so they don't want to lose sales

2. State and Beer stores don't require ID (My local beer distributor cards anyone who looks under 30 but also cards people who they aren't familiar with)

3. They also don't have limits on Beer or wine can be purchased in a single transaction nor do you have to leave the store to purchase more

4. Most of the rules we have are because Beer Distributors and Liquor stores want customers so inconvenienced at Grocery store buying booze they say it's not worth the hassle and business returns to them. 

5. PA State Liquor laws are still ### backwards. Many Prohibition era laws were not changed either for yrs. Given who controls the Unions to these stores and who they know at state level we are lucky to be where we are today. in 2016 PA State Legislature pulled a fast one on my Union President out of nowhere voted on these changes to allow liquor sales in Grocery stores. We just don't sell hard liquor 

I'll agree with most of what you will say next of how stupid these rules are because they are. If you saw my thread about 2 weeks ago my Union President had the gaul to ask us to vote down and call our state legislative to not pass laws that would double the amount of liquor we could sell in a single transaction among other things. Most of his reasoning was filled with a lot of bull#### and those like myself know he controls the LCB in PA and State stores knows where his agenda lies and it's definitely not about protecting us Grocery store people on the issue. It's to protect and make sure his state booze store workers continue to have jobs. His dad was so much better than this. He worked his way up from a bagger in a local Philly store on up to a Union rep and founded what was eventually Local 1776. Dad put in the work and was big in the political scene in the 50s and 60s wielded a lot of power. Wouldn't have caved in to the bull#### Demands that A&P ask and then when bankrupt and ACME/ALbertson took over asked for either. I lost a weeks vacation (Would have 5 weeks at this point) and I almost was working minimum wage with ZERO benefits (Workered A&P for over 10yrs when this happened) because oUr Union decided with ACME to close some A&P/Superfresh Stores and BUMP associates from those stores into stores like mine. Newer hires lost jobs and people at my store went down in wages. Thankfully many who were suppose to come to my store took bumps over the years they were at a point they were ready to retire. I gained many of my benefits and money back but it was total BS. One of my coworkers argued on my behalf that "We get you don't want to tell Joe Schmo with 35 yrs with us he's loosing his job but what if Joe Schmo is just a union guy who does his 10-4 shift and leaves never finishes the work or lazy. Meanwhile you tell DJ (me here) who's been with us for 8-10 yrs a trustworthy solid worker hey you work minimum wage and lost all your benefits. Or the new hire who over the last 2 yrs we put time $$$ and effort to train who wants to move up the ladder with us and is a motivated worker?" Basically why is it fair we keep Lazy Joe Schmo with 35yrs but an enthusiastic young worker who will be here for a long period we have to say sorry you have no job here anymore. This guys dad would've never put us in that position. At one point all of us including managers worked the first 2 hrs on Mimum wage. Yes that is not a typo. And then the company wondered why #### wasn't getting done. Gee I wonder why. 

All in the eyes
I walk up to your register with a ski mask, reflective glasses, and a trenchcoat.  About the only thing you can say with any certainty is my height.  You wouldn't even know my ethnicity or sex.  Then again, I guess you would be able to describe my gun in complete detail.   :D  

BassNBrew said:
You won’t be stopping because The best sections aren’t open. 

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Governor is still asking us to restrict travel but that might not include vacations
This map does show some sections closed. 

However the website shows it's all opening up this weekend just in time: 

"

Beginning Friday, May 15, 2020, the Parkway will reopen gates providing motor vehicle access at the following locations in North Carolina, once initial seasonal mowing and road preparations are complete:

Milepost 292-296.5 near Blowing Rock, including Moses Cone Parking Area and Hwy 221 Bass Lake Parking Lot.

Milepost 298.6-308 through Grandfather Mountain area, including Rough Ridge and Linn Cove Viaduct

Milepost 316.4 Linville Falls Spur Road, including parking at Linville Falls trailheads

Milepost 334-342 including Crabtree Falls Area, near Little Switzerland, NC

Milepost 355-375.6 from Mt. Mitchell to Ox Creek, including Craggy Gardens

Milepost 377.4 Parking areas at Craven Gap (Town Mountain Rd) for MST Trail access

Milepost 384.7 Roadside parking at MST Trailheads at US 74A Parkway access ramps

Milepost 393-454 from French Broad River Overlook and south to Soco Gap

In addition, the following areas continue to be accessible:   

All Parkway trails, and

All other sections of the motor route in North Carolina and Virginia previously accessible to motor vehicle traffic."

:headbang:

I know NC's Blue Ridge Parkway won't hold a candle to Million Dollar Highway we did from Silverton Co to Ouray Co, but I'd still like to drive it. 

BassNBrew said:
Large sections of the brp near Asheville closed to keep tourists away.  I feel for the citizens of the area facing increasing risks because people want to vacation. 
Yeah - I was planning to drive up and drive a long segment but looked at the site and saw that they had lots of areas closed.  Decided to pass as that can be a headache finding side roads and lots of spots with very little to no service.

shader said:
My meaningless opinion is that any state that reopens will decide to lockdown again anywhere from 4-6 weeks after they reopen. 
I'll take the counter and disagree. I think the states that have eased out of lockdowns won't be going back. I guess I should caveat that, if there is a huge uptick in hospitalizations, essentially overwhelming the system, then yes, I could see going back into lockdown but I don't think that will occur. If that is the scenario you have in mind @shader then I agree, another lockdown would & should occur for that particular area.

The University of Alabama Announces that it is planning to open in the fall.

"We Fully Expect to Have On-Campus Instruction"

Roll Tide!!
University of South Carolina announced last week students will be back on campus this fall for in person classes. No mention of sports but skrewel gonna be open.

Please forgive my :hijacked: , but since I posted about my brother suffering with both COVID-19 and cancer, I thought I'd update.

He beat COVID-19 (praise God!), but the cancer has worked its way into his brain and he's in a lot of pain. :cry:  According to my sister, the prognosis is poor.
Tough man. Keep the faith. You know all of our thoughts and prayers are with you and your bro.

I walk up to your register with a ski mask, reflective glasses, and a trenchcoat.  About the only thing you can say with any certainty is my height.  You wouldn't even know my ethnicity or sex.  Then again, I guess you would be able to describe my gun in complete detail.   :D  
The important question is, what are you wearing under this trench coat?

I'll take the counter and disagree. I think the states that have eased out of lockdowns won't be going back. I guess I should caveat that, if there is a huge uptick in hospitalizations, essentially overwhelming the system, then yes, I could see going back into lockdown but I don't think that will occur. If that is the scenario you have in mind @shader then I agree, another lockdown would & should occur for that particular area.

University of South Carolina announced last week students will be back on campus this fall for in person classes. No mention of sports but skrewel gonna be open.
Are you saying there won’t be another lockdown because of the economy?  Not sure I understand.  And yes, hospitals of course will get overwhelmed if lockdowns don’t happen in areas where the virus reappears and starts to spread quickly. It’s a certainty

So far so good

(And if 15,000 tests sounds low, they're practically begging people to come to drive thru testing locally.)

@GovRonDeSantis: Original Phase 1 counties reported receiving over 15,000 test results yesterday. New cases: 297. Percent Positive: 1.88%. https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1260270496823812097/photo/1

This reinforces the idea how far away we are for herd immunity when high risk groups produce these numbers

@GovRonDeSantis: Initial results from serological testing at drive thru sites: 10% positive for antibodies in Miami and between 2% and 3% in Orlando and Jacksonville. Health care workers and first responders were tested, so not necessarily a representative sample.

Users who are viewing this thread