What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Lol, this guy. I see you're still using your favorite words with a little added hyperbole. This in spite of batting .000 using them thus far. It's clear you've taken nothing from the knowledge gained about this virus. Are you dismissed Dr Bright by chance?
There's no hyperbole.  There's zero indication that any part of the USA is approaching anything close to herd immunity.  If you disagree, please provide the evidence. 

Unless the antibody testing is completely off with a ton of false negatives, there’s no reason to believe any place has been hit hard enough to be safe from a second wave. Most of the studies that have been done have come back with around 10-12% testing positive for antibodies. Even a hotspot like New York was only 12%. That leaves room for several similar waves before we come close to herd immunity or a vaccine.
That was also testing mainly those out and about in the community. I'm sure it's much lower for the residents in total.

Unless the antibody testing is completely off with a ton of false negatives, there’s no reason to believe any place has been hit hard enough to be safe from a second wave. Most of the studies that have been done have come back with around 10-12% testing positive for antibodies. Even a hotspot like New York was only 12%. That leaves room for several similar waves before we come close to herd immunity or a vaccine.
That's not factoring in the people who haven't yet it and face virtually no risk of death from it. It's not going away so it's well past time to start opening things up with protective measures.

Here's a terrific example of reckless hyperbole by the side creating unneeded panic...

Whistleblower: US could face virus rebound ‘darkest winter’

Think I'm wrong about this guy's prediction being reckless? Read the article and ask yourself what's missing.

Here are just a few items the dismissed doctor is not accounting for...

• we now know exactly who this kills, where many of them reside (nursing homes), and how to effectively protect and direct resources to them
  • we are much further along in the quality of testing and are moving towards expansive contact tracing capability
  • the continually growing percentages of asymptomatic people among us
It's time to stop ignoring the fact we know who this virus kills. It's also time to stop ignoring how effective simple protective measures are at slowing it down. And it's time to stop conveniently forgetting how many as yet tallied people have already had this virus or would fare well with it going forward. This is yet another attempt at grabbing headlines by warning of a scenario that would be virtually impossible come year end.
Oh really? Then why have they done such a horrible job of protecting them?

There's no hyperbole.  There's zero indication that any part of the USA is approaching anything close to herd immunity.  If you disagree, please provide the evidence. 
I'm not saying we have herd immunity. I'm saying we've already had our NYCs occur elsewhere when it was mistaken as the flu and for the many who haven't had it yet, the risk is extremely low. And that's without mentioning the advancement of treatment drugs to lower the risk even more. We know who this kills and there are practical ways to avoid massive death totals going forward if resources are directed where needed.

Oh really? Then why have they done such a horrible job of protecting them?
Obviously because they were directing resources to the wrong places. Recall, the shutdown is what led to 110,000 nursing home workers being laid off. Big mistake that would be very easy to avoid going forward. Meanwhile Florida emphasized nursing homes and had much greater success with the virus despite their older overall population. The future fear mongering completely ignores the knowledge gained in the past 2 months.

Predicting a "dark winter" is exactly like the models that predicted 2 million deaths. It was based on doing nothing. I think far fewer people are going to fall for this kind of stuff going forward. No, we can just reopen with no protective measures like this is behind us. But trying to extend shut downs or fear monger about scenarios which are virtually impossible with the knowledge at hand, is just stupid at this point. I don't even know what to call guaranteeing Czech Republic is going to get hammered when they let their guard down. China and South Korea are responding to spikes as they should but nowhere near their initial waves. No one has ever said there won't be spikes to come. We were told that from the start. Now we know better how to give a more micro-level response.

That's not factoring in the people who haven't yet it and face virtually no risk of death from it. It's not going away so it's well past time to start opening things up with protective measures.
So your assumption is that the high risk population must have gotten it at a much higher clip than the general population despite being the most likely to take extreme protective measures? I agree that it’s going to be with us for a long time and we need to open up in responsible ways but the idea that there are any areas not at risk of a second wave is not justified by anything at this point.

So your assumption is that the high risk population must have gotten it at a much higher clip than the general population despite being the most likely to take extreme protective measures?
No, that's not my assumption at all. They die from it at an exorbitantly disproportionate rate. That's a fact we knew even before a single state shutdown. We bought the time we needed. Now it's time to take a more nuanced approach and it focuses heavily on the at-risk.

Obviously because they were directing resources to the wrong places. Recall, the shutdown is what led to 110,000 nursing home workers being laid off. Big mistake that would be very easy to avoid going forward. Meanwhile Florida emphasized nursing homes and had much greater success with the virus despite their older overall population. The future fear mongering completely ignores the knowledge gained in the past 2 months.
Every nursing home I know of has been on lockdown for months. It’s not like it was some revelation that a highly contagious virus that kills the elderly was going to be a problem in nursing homes. The first major outbreak was in a nursing home.

No, that's not my assumption at all. They die from it at an exorbitantly disproportionate rate. That's a fact we knew even before a single state shutdown. We bought the time we needed. Now it's time to take a more nuanced approach and it focuses heavily on the at-risk.
But what does any of that have to do with your claim that some of the harder hit places aren’t at risk of another wave?

Every nursing home I know of has been on lockdown for months. It’s not like it was some revelation that a highly contagious virus that kills the elderly was going to be a problem in nursing homes. The first major outbreak was in a nursing home.
Exactly, so why did the nursing homes lay off over 100,000 workers. Do you anticipate that sequence being repeated? I'm sure government would much rather direct resources to nursing homes in future rounds rather than shutdown their entire economies for something which poses little risk to the vast majority of the population. Why does that continue to be ignored?

But what does any of that have to do with your claim that some of the harder hit places aren’t at risk of another wave?
It's not hard to figure out. Wherever a coming waves hits, we now know where and who to focus efforts on. No more wildly understaffed nursing homes due to shutdowns is a heckuva start. Especially since they're rocketing towards 50% of the current U.S. death total.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Czechs went all-in on masks in mid-March. They also had a nationwide lockdown.
The lockdown is over.  HTH.
Let's not pretend that the Czechs are back to business as usual. Here is their current state of affairs. The list of current restrictions is massive. Some highlights:

• schools suspended
  • sporting venues closed
  • face coverings required in public
  • gatherings of more than 10 people banned
  • cell phones used for tracking
  • soldiers deployed to enforce health authority
There's just no way that Americans would be willing to follow the Czech model.

Let's not pretend that the Czechs are back to business as usual. Here is their current state of affairs. The list of current restrictions is massive. Some highlights:

• schools suspended
  • sporting venues closed
Wikipedia??? That's not current at all...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-czech/thirsty-czechs-toast-return-to-beer-gardens-as-lockdown-eases-idUSKBN22N1O1

Guidelines to reopen local restaurants just came out.    They include keeping a log of all customers, including name, phone number and email address. 

Local Karens put up a poll on facebook whether people were in favor of providing contact tracing at restaurants.   Right now it's 275-47 against.   We're going to be doomed by stupidity.
So I’m guessing you are for voter ID as well?

Haven't been following the conversation and don't really want to jump in the middle of it, but if they relaxed a lot of restrictions on Monday, it'll still be a couple weeks before there would be evidence of a related spike in cases, right?  We wouldn't really have learned anything yet in 48 hours. 

Haven't been following the conversation and don't really want to jump in the middle of it, but if they relaxed a lot of restrictions on Monday, it'll still be a couple weeks before there would be evidence of a related spike in cases, right?  We wouldn't really have learned anything yet in 48 hours. 
They relaxed a lot of restrictions over 3 weeks ago and didn't get the spike they were preparing for so they relaxed them even more. This is weeks beyond a 48 hour measurement.

• schools suspended
  • sporting venues closed
Wikipedia??? That's not current at all...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-czech/thirsty-czechs-toast-return-to-beer-gardens-as-lockdown-eases-idUSKBN22N1O1
Of course the Wiki entry is current. All those restrictions are still in place (link), you just happened to link to an article which only talked about some of the restrictions which were lifted.

Of course the Wiki entry is current. All those restrictions are still in place (link), you just happened to link to an article which only talked about some of the restrictions which were lifted.
Lol, goodness gracious my man...

Authorities also permitted some schools, hairdressers, malls, cinemas and other businesses to reopen. Museums and galleries opened their doors and the government gave the green light for weddings, cultural and religious events of fewer than 100 people. Professional sports teams resumed full training.
That wiki entry is anything but current.

Lol, goodness gracious my man...

Authorities also permitted some schools, hairdressers, malls, cinemas and other businesses to reopen. Museums and galleries opened their doors and the government gave the green light for weddings, cultural and religious events of fewer than 100 people. Professional sports teams resumed full training.
That wiki entry is anything but current.
:lmao:

All that stuff was described in my original link. You didn't even read it, did you?

Guidelines to reopen local restaurants just came out.    They include keeping a log of all customers, including name, phone number and email address. 

Local Karens put up a poll on facebook whether people were in favor of providing contact tracing at restaurants.   Right now it's 275-47 against.   We're going to be doomed by stupidity.
So I’m guessing you are for voter ID as well?
I must have missed the part of the Constitution where it says "The right of citizens to dine-in shall not be denied or abridged..."

All that stuff was described in my original link. You didn't even read it, did you?
For flips sake did you read yours? You listed a handful of things that are supposedly still not lifted including schools, gatherings of 10 or more, and sports. And by today's actual news, not an as yet updated Wiki entry, it turns out some schools are now allowed to be open, gatherings can now be up to 100 (a ten-fold increase), and professional sports teams have been cleared to begin resuming activities. All in direct opposition to your dated Wiki link. Wikipedia, really?

Covid worldometers: - we should pass 4.5M reported cases tomorrow with 88K new cases today.  We will pass 300,000 reported deaths tomorrow after 5,300 today.

New cases today (rounded):

U.S. (21,700)

Brazil (11,500)

Russia (10,000)

Peru ( 4,200)

India ( 3,800)

U.K. ( 3,200)

Chile ( 2,700)

Pakistan ( 2,600)

Mexico ( 2,000)

Iran ( 2,000)

Saudi Arabia ( 1,900)

Several African countries with much lower numbers but 10% or more increases.

For flips sake did you read yours? You listed all the things that are supposedly still not lifted including schools, gatherings of 10 or more, and sports. And by today's actual news, not an as yet updated Wiki entry, it turns out some schools are now allowed to be open, gatherings can now be up to 100 (a ten-fold increase), and professional sports teams have been cleared to begin resuming activities. All in direct opposition to your dated Wiki link. Wikipedia, really?
Yes, I read the entire wiki entry prior to posting. It mentions all of those exemptions.

Gatherings of 10-100 are still limited to certain events, and professional sports teams are allowed to practice but not to play games in front of crowds larger than 100. You'd know that if you read the Wiki entry.

I've tried to engage you a few times and you ignore me which isn't surprising since you're still ignoring the fact that this causes long term damage to organs so it's not just deaths that people need to be concerned about. 

Yes, I read the entire wiki entry prior to posting. It mentions all of those exemptions.

Gatherings of 10-100 are still limited to certain events, and professional sports teams are allowed to practice but not to play games in front of crowds larger than 100. You'd know that if you read the Wiki entry.
Then why did you list them so inaccurately? That's on you dude.

This is Washington, which has a detailed phased plan for reopening.   Yahoos don't understand that contact tracing is part of the plan, so if it's not happening, we don't move to the next phase.    They think that suing the governor is going to be the way to reopen the state because a couple of commissioners in a podunk county misread our state statutes and declared the stay at home order unconstitutional at a county council meeting with like 5 people in attendance.   
Yeah they're trying that in Oregon too lol. 

Then why did you list them so inaccurately? That's on you dude.
I assumed that people would read the link before making a fool of themselves. My bad.

Here is another article about current restrictions in the Czech Republic:

• -People are required to wear face masks at all times outside their home, except during rigorous exercise.
  • -Social distancing: people must keep 2 metres apart, unless they are members of the same household.
  • -Hotels are closed to new guests.
  • -Restaurants and pubs - indoor seating is closed.
  • -Sightseeing tours, walking tours and activities are suspended.
  • -River cruises are suspended.
  • -Large festivals and sporting events are cancelled until the autumn.
  • -Entertainment and nightlife venues are closed.
  • -Swimming pools are closed.
I am not including every single exemption in this post, so I would encourage you or anyone else to please read the link before attempting to contradict this info.

I do too. The extremes on both sides of this are making this so much harder than it needs to be.
Yup, couple weeks in here in TX.  Tomorrow Friday is the second step of phase 2, Monday will be the third and final step of phase 2.

Going great.

Play by the rules, wash your hands... cool.

I walk up to your register with a ski mask, reflective glasses, and a trenchcoat.  About the only thing you can say with any certainty is my height.  You wouldn't even know my ethnicity or sex.  Then again, I guess you would be able to describe my gun in complete detail.   :D  
In that case if you are wearing all of that you would be asked to remove it for facial recognition. We also have allowed people with Phone Facial recognition pay methods to remove their masks for this as well. 

Everyone back on my corporate campus next week. Huge company in South Texas.  Dumb.
Sorry to hear. If you don't feel safe tell your boss that. If they refuse tell them the next time they hear from you is through a lawyer. You have rights to your own safety and don't feel safe going in can let them know that. Them trying to terminate you in this time makes company look bad. Especially if you are fully capable of working from home. Just remember what rights you have and use them 

I am not including every single exemption in this post, so I would encourage you or anyone else to please read the link before attempting to contradict this info.
I'd encourage you to venture beyond Wikipedia to read about what restrictions are set to be lifted there on May 25th.

So Im doing grocery today (we are getting ready for inventory which will be overnight tonight to keep with social distancing). I forgot how customers really don't social distance when coming up to you. Some older gentleman comes right up to my grill to ask me a question today. Asked him nicely to take a few steps back. He apologized but still Jesus Christ dude not only social distancing but personal space here. 

Morton Muffley said:
All that may be true, but if so then there are also a lot of people dying with many, many years left because a recent study showed that the average Covid death takes more than a decade off of the person's expected life.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/people-coronavirus-dying-10-years-earlier-naturally-study/story?id=70511494
That is the vaguest mumbo jumbo I have ever seen.

An article citing a non peer reviewed study and omitting any details about the study whatsoever... :lmao:

eta - CYDY could learn a lesson from this as a selling piece though.  

And do what, exactly? They can't work. They can't travel. If they're going to be sitting in their parents' basements, they might as well be earning credits.
Of course they can work if they want.

Yes, they can travel too.

Volunteer. 

Learn a trade.

Learn another language. 

Become an influencer on da gram (is that how the kids say it?)

Get a better idea what they want to do with lives instead of waking up and saying, "dam, $200k on that art degree was a bad idea."

Of course they can work if they want.

Yes, they can travel too.

Volunteer. 

Learn a trade.

Learn another language. 

Become an influencer on da gram (is that how the kids say it?)

Get a better idea what they want to do with lives instead of waking up and saying, "dam, $200k on that art degree was a bad idea."
People can also come and work essential jobs. Food industry and amazon and other places are hiring everyone right now but some people feel thats too beneath them and will just sit at home and ##### they can't work and will be late on payments. Welcome to most people in America lives finally. Hope ya stay awhile with us. 

You can say this all you want but it is complete bulll ####. 
Tell that to the workers in Las Vegas hospitals in January. Tell that the Nevada Health authority that documented how Covid-19 swept through the CES convention the first week of January. Tell that to Gavin Newsom who has California coroners reevaluating deaths all the way back to December.

And the correct term is bullschiff.

Tell that to the workers in Las Vegas hospitals in January. Tell that the Nevada Health authority that documented how Covid-19 swept through the CES convention the first week of January. Tell that to Gavin Newsom who has California coroners reevaluating deaths all the way back to December.
Do you have a link to this other then word of mouth?  :link:

Users who are viewing this thread