What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Edited above with link about the bonds. Seems reasonable those with hundreds of millions to billions to lose would lobby hard to protect their investments. Since they are effectively customers who would be candidates for future investments, any sales organization would work to protect those customers as well. There were clearly pressures to avoid the trigger of a formal declaration. Reminds me of credit crisis in 2007. Too much money in those bonds creates a huge disincentive to let science drive. Instead of too big to fail, maybe it was too big to declare.
It's plausible, sure. It was strange they waited so long with many experts calling them out. 

I'll bow out of the conversation. Honestly, I just found the first part of that sentence funny considering what we know. The rest of this was driven by the political accusation. I've refrained from calling out others for obvious, politically driven postings, other than my opinion on the HCQ drama.

I remember that, but we get a little too much into conspiracy land there for me. There was also that odd interview with a WHO official and the journalist from Taiwan. When the WHO was pushing their "no human to human transmission line," Taiwan was already telling them that information was false with data to back it up. But yes, they were way late in labeling a pandemic, which I believe was part of mine and shader's discussion the first time we butted heads over the WHO. There's plenty of blame to go around, and to act like it's political to point a finger at the WHO is just inane.
If anything this Taiwan/China slap fight thing with the WHO trying to play both sides has to stop.  I'm convinced it got a lot of people killed needlessly.  If nothing else China needs to admit they done ####ed up and drop this whole "Taiwan can't be in the WHO they are MINE bull####"

You don't consider their comments in January to be germane? There has been blame leveled at our leadership for not acting sooner, with January and even December being discussed, but the WHO wouldn't even call it a pandemic until sometime in March IIRC. I just don't get your staunch defense of the WHO. It's fine to blame Trump for things, fine to blame Cuomo for his nursing home blunder, fine to blame the CDC for advising against wearing masks, and it's certainly fine and not political to call out the WHO for their mistakes. 
Their comments on January 14th were a mistake, but how much of a mistake? Remember, we are doing a lot of judging from the rearview mirror here.

This wasn't a pandemic on January 14th.  The WHO didn't know what they had.  China didn't report it's first death until January 11th.  Was this just some weird bat/food thing, or was it a contagious virus. Within 2 weeks they had direct evidence of human to human transmission and they changed their view.  On January 30th they declared it a public health emergency.  The amount of work they did from January 14th to February 24th is astounding.  

It feels like we are criticizing them for not completely understanding this novel virus from day one.

Yes on January 14th they posted that.  That was a blunder.  But did it really have any effect on things, or is it just something political figures are using as evidence of the CDC's ineptitude?

This virus takes a LONG TIME to manifest itself.  There is a very long incubation stage, and death often takes a long time.  The CDC just made a major change in how they understood transmission yesterday.  It likely took awhile for the WHO to understand what they were dealing with.

Are you really going to continually fault the WHO for a January 14th tweet?  They don't believe that anymore.  They haven't believed that for months.  They clearly didn't believe that in the February document I sent.  Why is that relevant?  Can you point to major events that occurred between the time they made that tweet and they revised their opinion as new information came out? 

Do you know when they revised that opinion?

Do you know how early January 14th was?  This thread was started on January 21st, and most people laughed at it for weeks and weeks.  
Isn't the average incubation period now believed to be 5 days? Isn't that pretty the same as most respiratory viruses? 

Yes on January 14th they posted that.  That was a blunder.  But did it really have any effect on things, or is it just something political figures are using as evidence of the CDC's ineptitude?

This virus takes a LONG TIME to manifest itself.  There is a very long incubation stage, and death often takes a long time.  The CDC just made a major change in how they understood transmission yesterday.  It likely took awhile for the WHO to understand what they were dealing with.

Are you really going to continually fault the WHO for a January 14th tweet?  They don't believe that anymore.  They haven't believed that for months.  They clearly didn't believe that in the February document I sent.  Why is that relevant?  Can you point to major events that occurred between the time they made that tweet and they revised their opinion as new information came out? 

Do you know when they revised that opinion?

Do you know how early January 14th was?  This thread was started on January 21st, and most people laughed at it for weeks and weeks.  
You don't consider their comments in January to be germane? There has been blame leveled at our leadership for not acting sooner, with January and even December being discussed, but the WHO wouldn't even call it a pandemic until sometime in March IIRC. I just don't get your staunch defense of the WHO. It's fine to blame Trump for things, fine to blame Cuomo for his nursing home blunder, fine to blame the CDC for advising against wearing masks, and it's certainly fine and not political to call out the WHO for their mistakes. 
Not going to address your political comments, but will post some facts:

1. your previous post altered the text of the WHO's January 14th tweet. (the actual text said "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission").

2. the WHO also stated on January 14 that there had been human-to-human transmission, and that "This is something on our radar" and "we need to prepare ourselves".

3. the WHO confirmed human-to-human transmission January 22nd.

Unfortunately this won't happen. Maybe never. Certainly would require a regime change in China
It just infuriates me when people point to all sorts of stupid conspiracies like 5G towers cause Cornoa, but won't look at an actual conspiracy that actually causes corona.  

People get down/depressed about all sorts of stuff in this, and this is the thing that gets me the most upset.  I hate this part of this.  

It just infuriates me when people point to all sorts of stupid conspiracies like 5G towers cause Cornoa, but won't look at an actual conspiracy that actually causes corona.  

People get down/depressed about all sorts of stuff in this, and this is the thing that gets me the most upset.  I hate this part of this.  
Some conspiracy theories do turn out to be conspiracy fact. That happens when the facts begin to be revealed. Until then, people aren't interested because the vast majority of conspiracy theories never turn into conspiracy fact. 

Their comments on January 14th were a mistake, but how much of a mistake? Remember, we are doing a lot of judging from the rearview mirror here.

This wasn't a pandemic on January 14th.  The WHO didn't know what they had.  China didn't report it's first death until January 11th.  Was this just some weird bat/food thing, or was it a contagious virus. Within 2 weeks they had direct evidence of human to human transmission and they changed their view.  On January 30th they declared it a public health emergency.  The amount of work they did from January 14th to February 24th is astounding.  

It feels like we are criticizing them for not completely understanding this novel virus from day one.
Well, we know now that China was withholding information, if not lying.

So, I guess the question becomes: Should the WHO be expected to assume that its own member states are lying? And: Should the WHO publicly call out its own member states, even at risk of causing those states to cut them off from vital information?

Not going to address your political comments, but will post some facts:

1. your previous post altered the text of the WHO's January 14th tweet. (the actual text said "Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission").

2. the WHO also stated on January 14 that there had been human-to-human transmission, and that "This is something on our radar" and "we need to prepare ourselves".

3. the WHO confirmed human-to-human transmission January 22nd.
I didn't make any political statements until I was called out unfairly for making a political statement, and then I only pointed out many are posting with underlying political motives, but yes, let's move on.

The WHO followed up this blunder by dragging their feet in calling it a pandemic for whatever reason the whole month of February. Their actions were a key factor in the lack of response across the globe. "You had one job" applies here.

I agree with the poster who suggested it's unfair to say they're a worthless organization, but why is it unfair to call out their mistakes?

I didn't make any political statements until I was called out unfairly for making a political statement, and then I only pointed out many are posting with underlying political motives, but yes, let's move on.

The WHO followed up this blunder by dragging their feet in calling it a pandemic for whatever reason the whole month of February. Their actions were a key factor in the lack of response across the globe. "You had one job" applies here.

I agree with the poster who suggested it's unfair to say they're a worthless organization, but why is it unfair to call out their mistakes?
The WHO actively campaigned against travel bans.

In March

What is the official guideline for labeling a "pandemic", and did the WHO fail to use that guideline?

The WHO does some wonderful things around the world and a global health organization is necessary. Unfortunately, they are funded by the very same countries that they are suppose to criticize amd condemn. I hope we all can see the tough spot they are in. Not excusing what they did, but when finances are part of the calculus, decisions are going to be political.

They denounce China and call them out. They lose Chinese money.

They sit on their hands, as they did, they lose American money.

I still don't understand how asymptomatic carriers efficiently spread the disease given the latest information that person to person spread is the most likely avenue.  No coughs, no sneezes means its very unlikely to spread it if proper hygiene is being followed.
People still cough and sneeze for reasons other than coronavirus. 

Don't quickly move to the next blunder, address that one.

You're being shown why that tweet had very little, IF ANY, impact on this virus and how countries responded to it.  

If you can't admit that you're nit-picking on that first point, you'll never be able to rationally discuss them calling it a pandemic, which is a much different conversation.

The WHO does some wonderful things around the world and a global health organization is necessary. Unfortunately, they are funded by the very same countries that they are suppose to criticize amd condemn. I hope we all can see the tough spot they are in. Not excusing what they did, but when finances are part of the calculus, decisions are going to be political.

They denounce China and call them out. They lose Chinese money.

They sit on their hands, as they did, they lose American money.
It's not easy.  And no doubt early on when they first arrived in China, they felt pressure from China.

But once they figured out what they were dealing with, they dropped the definitive guidebook on this virus within a month.  

I'm sure they made many mistakes early on.  Everyone did.  It would always be easier to get a do-over in life and try it again a second time.  We don't get that opportunity.  

This is STILL the current recommendation from WHO:

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

Honestly I’m not sure how anyone can defend them right now. I know that this has been difficult and good data has been hard to come by, but they have been downright negligent in some of their recommendations.

Let’s just be honest, if any governors or our President were insisting that healthy people should only wear masks if they are taking care of someone with COVID-19; they would be rightly derided. The evidence is pretty clear right now that mask wearing significantly reduces the spread of the disease.

If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.

Honestly I’m not sure how anyone can defend them right now.
What part of that sentence is inaccurate? It seems to align with what most scientists and medical experts have been saying.

Errrbody gotta get in their comments when someone doesn't toe the line. Why is it so hard to come to grips with the fact they got many things wrong? The last time we had this discussion, it was fine to criticize the CDC. Is that still fine?

Honestly I’m not sure how anyone can defend them right now.
What part of that sentence is inaccurate? It seems to align with what most scientists and medical experts have been saying.
There's A LOT of confusion out there about what exactly "a mask" is, and how much they protect and by what means. A lot of info gets conflated about a lot of different kinds of face coverings.

I do agree with GroveDiesel that someone could read that specific line on a WHO website and then feel they have sanction to, say,  visit retailers without a face covering. This is indicative of a pretty big problem with medical messaging to laymen -- the assumptions and "things we know" of medical professionals can get in the way of clear(er) communication.

Errrbody gotta get in their comments when someone doesn't toe the line. Why is it so hard to come to grips with the fact they got many things wrong? The last time we had this discussion, it was fine to criticize the CDC. Is that still fine?
I've got my issues with the WHO, too. Nevertheless, I think I can answer your question in red: It's because the situations are nuanced and ever-changing. What you're actually being told in this thread, I think, is something like "Getting things wrong should not necessarily mean invalidation".

Well, have been saying until about a month ago. I’m not aware of many experts who say that masks/face coverings should only be used when taking care of someone with COVID.

Well, here’s the CDC’s current recommendation:

CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States.  We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (“asymptomatic”) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (“pre-symptomatic”) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms.  This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity—for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing—even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.  In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

The Mayo Clinic sure seems to indicate mask/facial coverings should be used by everyone in public.

This article by a data researcher also seems to indicate that recommendations to wear masks/face coverings are pretty much the default.

If you know of a source showing that most professionals and experts currently only recommend masks/face coverings for healthy people taking care of those who are sick, I would definitely be interested to read.

For narrow definitions of "mask", this could be accurate. Namely, if "mask" here means strictly "fit-tested N95 or equivalent" and no other kind of face covering.
Well, since they have no other guidance recommending use on any other type of face covering, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that by “mask” they mean any face covering.

Here’s further info from them under their mask Q&A section:

Does WHO recommend the use of non-medical masks in the community?

Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community. WHO continues to recommend that medical masks be worn by individuals who are sick or those caring for them. WHO is actively studying the rapidly evolving science on masks and continuously updates its guidance.

In the interim, to support countries in their decision-making process WHO has provided advice through a risk-based approach for the use of masks in the context of COVID-19.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since they have no other guidance on any other type of face covering, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that by “mask” they mean any face covering.

Here’s further info from them under their mask Q&A section:

Does WHO recommend the use of non-medical masks in the community?

Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community. WHO continues to recommend that medical masks be worn by individuals who are sick or those caring for them. WHO is actively studying the rapidly evolving science on masks and continuously updates its guidance.
I gotcha. To me, that all looks like old guidance from, say, the back half of February. Is any of that guidance dated on the WHO site?

The equivocal "... not enough evidence for or against ..." wording looks a lot like something a scientist would write when trying to defer judgment. The scientist author might wonder why laymen would read it as "We said: No need for masks in the wider community!" They're kind of speaking a different language there.

The last sentence you quoted (" ... rapidly evolving science ...") is the logical "out". If they recommend face coverings in public later, they weren't wrong before -- the science was rapidly evolving, after all. That looks weaselly to the layman, though it makes perfect sense to the scientist.

You’re completely misstating the reason we are discussing the WHO.  I dared to bring them up, and immediately was mocked by MR A, and off we go.

Do we really need to go through this every time someone brings up the WHO?  We get it, some of you think they screwed up.  You’ve been shown why that first screwup really wasn’t a big deal, but you don’t seem to agree. Fine.

But maybe if people wouldn’t mock those that bring up the WHO, we wouldn’t have these arguments.  

We get it, you don’t like them. But they’ve provided a lot of great information and shouldn’t be completely dismissed.  New subject plz.

Are you just overlooking all of their blunders in January and February, agreeing with China as they downplayed the virus with things like, "there's no evidence of human to human transmission?" We've had this discussion previously itt, so I'm not shocked you're pushing back again, but trying to paint this is political is even more laughable than claiming they've been on point during this. Maybe they're finally getting around to providing accurate information, but my confidence in them has waned, just as it has with the CDC. 
Dumb take. WHO was reporting on the information given, with a asteroid sized grain of salt. I know Trump told you to blame WHO for everything, but try to use your own thoughts.

Some conspiracy theories do turn out to be conspiracy fact. That happens when the facts begin to be revealed. Until then, people aren't interested because the vast majority of conspiracy theories never turn into conspiracy fact. 
I think it was BBC I was listening to a few weeks ago, but there is ongoing investigation on "how" this happened.  I'm not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but the more digging that goes on, the more it seems like the local government in Wuhan was a major factor in not getting out the correct information initially.  Then, by the time the federal government got what they needed, things were on the brink of out of control so they then began covering their tracks.  There are a few more updates that need to happen before I jump, but it really seems this started with a local cover up.

You’re completely misstating the reason we are discussing the WHO.  I dared to bring them up, and immediately was mocked by MR A, and off we go.

Do we really need to go through this every time someone brings up the WHO?  We get it, some of you think they screwed up.  You’ve been shown why that first screwup really wasn’t a big deal, but you don’t seem to agree. Fine.

But maybe if people wouldn’t mock those that bring up the WHO, we wouldn’t have these arguments.  

We get it, you don’t like them. But they’ve provided a lot of great information and shouldn’t be completely dismissed.  New subject plz.
Keep in mind that there is a group of people who will take one example of the WHO doing something wrong and conclude they are completely worthless, but when the POTUS talks to the nation on live TV about injecting disinfectant in to the human body as a way to kill the virus, or he tells people they should make up their own minds about how to use prescription drugs, they'll ignore it. 

I think it was BBC I was listening to a few weeks ago, but there is ongoing investigation on "how" this happened.  I'm not sure if it's been talked about in this thread, but the more digging that goes on, the more it seems like the local government in Wuhan was a major factor in getting out the correct information initially.  Then, by the time the federal government got what they needed, things were on the brink of out of control so they then began covering their tracks.  There are a few more updates that need to happen before I jump, but it really seems this started with a local cover up.
Yes it is possible it could turn into a conspiracy fact. The more factual evidence comes out about an actual conspiracy, the more interest it will get from the people.

My issue is people who show disappointment that society as a whole doesn't give conspiracy theories a chance. Society does. Society just requires factual evidence first. 

For narrow definitions of "mask", this could be accurate. Namely, if "mask" here means strictly "fit-tested N95 or equivalent" and no other kind of face covering.
Well, since they have no other guidance recommending use on any other type of face covering, I think it’s pretty safe to assume that by “mask” they mean any face covering.
I went and found the WHO page you were referencing. Going by the videos and by the graphics further down the page, they seem to be talking about disposable earloop masks, not N95s. Hmmm. :unsure:   Plus, that entire page is undated.

There is a link about 1/4 down to a page called "Q&A: Masks and COVID-19". That page is dated -- 4/26/2020, well late enough to sensibly recommend at least some face coverings in public indoor establishments. Here's what WHO says there:

What is WHO’s view on masks?

WHO recognizes that there are many questions about the use of face masks to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 in the community, and that many countries are recommending that people wear them. Wearing a medical mask can limit the spread of certain respiratory viral diseases, including COVID-19. However, the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection. Other measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene should be adopted.

What is WHO recommending to countries that are considering public mask use in community?

For countries that are currently considering the use of masks, WHO advises decision makers to apply a risk-based approach and consider the following:

Purpose of mask use: if the intention is preventing the wearer transmitting infection to others (that is source control) or to offer protection to the wearer against infection (that is prevention).

Risk of exposure to COVID-19

• due to epidemiology/number of cases in the population: if there is high community transmission and other measures such as contact tracing or ability to carry out testing are not possible.

• due to epidemiology/number of cases in the population: if there is high community transmission and other measures such as contact tracing or ability to carry out testing are not possible.

• depending on occupation: e.g., individuals working in close contact with public (e.g., community health worker, cashier).

Vulnerability of the mask wearer/population: for example, if supplies are adequate medical masks could be used by people with comorbidities, such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes mellitus, older people, immunocompromised patients.

Setting in which the population lives: settings with high population density (e.g. refugee camps, those living in cramped conditions) and settings where individuals are unable to keep a safe distance (e.g. crowded buses or other transport).

Feasibility: availability and costs of masks, access to clean water to wash non-medical masks, and ability of mask wearers to tolerate adverse effects of wearing a mask.

Type of mask: medical mask versus non-medical mask (prioritization of medical masks for health care providers, symptomatic people and their caregivers).

In addition to these factors, potential advantages of the use of masks by healthy people in the community setting include reducing potential exposure risk from an infected person during the ‘pre-symptomatic’ period or if an infected person is asymptomatic.

There are potential risks and disadvantages that should be taken into account in any decision-making process on the use of masks:

• Non-medical or cloth masks could increase potential for COVID-19 to infect a person if the mask is contaminated by dirty hands and touched often, or kept on other parts of the face or head and then placed back over the mouth and nose

• Non-medical or cloth masks could increase potential for COVID-19 to infect a person if the mask is contaminated by dirty hands and touched often, or kept on other parts of the face or head and then placed back over the mouth and nose

• Depending on the type of mask used, could cause difficulty in breathing
  • They can lead to facial skin breakdown
  • They can lead to difficulty with communicating clearly
  • They can be uncomfortable to wear
  • It is possible that mask use, with unclear benefits, could create a false sense of security in the wearer, leading to diminished practice of recognized beneficial preventive measures such as physical distancing and hand hygiene.

What are non-medical masks and what is their use?

Non-medical masks are often homemade of breathable fabrics and can be commercially available as well. There are numerous designs for fabric masks, but they generally cover the nose and mouth, are secured with ties or elastic loops, include multiple layers of fabric, and can sometimes be washed and re-used.

The evidence about the benefits of these masks is limited. One good quality study showed that the risk of respiratory infection is increased (and not reduced) in health care workers using cotton cloth masks when compared to medical masks. Cloth masks are currently being recommended by some countries as a means of source control in the general population. Although their protective effectiveness to the wearer is unknown, they may protect others if the wearer is a pre-symptomatic or asymptomatic carrier.

WHO is continuing to gather and review data as new studies become available and will update guidance accordingly.
Reading through this stuff -- which kind of veers all over the place IMHO -- WHO seems to have a concern about face coverings/masks similar to what @matuski has posted in here from time to time: That the general population, collectively, won't "wear masks right" and therefore will receive little to no benefit.

If you ask me ... I think the WHO guidance author kind of mixes strict medical-mask advice with advice meant for non-medical fabric face coverings. The WHO seems really concerned that regular folks will believe masks/coverings will prevent them from from getting infected and mess things up somehow, when it's actually about containing/mitigating your own exhalations ("source control", as bolded above).

If you ask me, part 2: regardless of the WHO's squishy stance on masks/coverings ... the people I see around me that do wear masks/coverings are doing it right often enough to make a difference. Sure, there are those who wear 'em wrong from time to time. Still too many refuse to wear masks at all. But generally, I think the WHO has a lot less to worry about with masks/coverings than they seem to think.

Dumb take. 
Yes, you have one there. And keep in mind, this was all started by shader's dumb take that I was making it political by linking a gif of Jordan laughing.

LMAO at thinking I care about Trump. In these series of posts, I led off a sentence blaming people, and Trump was my first mention. You guys are projecting.

i think the most common estimate right now for the CFR is anywhere from 0.5% to 1.5%.  not saying its right.
Ok. But the IFR is way more important imo,

I mean I guess that is the same. But isn't the US like 14% currently if you get infection?

WHO was reporting on the information given, with a asteroid sized grain of salt. I know Trump told you to blame WHO for everything, but try to use your own thoughts.
... are you saying that WHO expected the world's general public to just kind of know that then-current WHO guidance was necessarily compromised because China wasn't cooperating fully?

Maybe when WHO officials are dealing with high-level health officials from individual nations or NGOs, that makes some sense. But I would think WHO expects non-experts to trust what they publish (via speech, website, etc.).

I went and found the WHO page you were referencing. Going by the videos and by the graphics further down the page, they seem to be talking about disposable earloop masks, not N95s. Hmmm. :unsure:   Plus, that entire page is undated.

There is a link about 1/4 down to a page called "Q&A: Masks and COVID-19". That page is dated -- 4/26/2020, well late enough to sensibly recommend at least some face coverings in public indoor establishments. Here's what WHO says there:

Reading through this stuff -- which kind of veers all over the place IMHO -- WHO seems to have a concern about face coverings/masks similar to what @matuski has posted in here from time to time: That the general population, collectively, won't "wear masks right" and therefore will receive little to no benefit.

If you ask me ... I think the WHO guidance author kind of mixes strict medical-mask advice with advice meant for non-medical fabric face coverings. The WHO seems really concerned that regular folks will believe masks/coverings will prevent them from from getting infected and mess things up somehow, when it's actually about containing/mitigating your own exhalations ("source control", as bolded above).

If you ask me, part 2: regardless of the WHO's squishy stance on masks/coverings ... the people I see around me that do wear masks/coverings are doing it right often enough to make a difference. Sure, there are those who wear 'em wrong from time to time. Still too many refuse to wear masks at all. But generally, I think the WHO has a lot less to worry about with masks/coverings than they seem to think.
I see more and more people doing it right these days.

The first few weeks?  More wrong than right... I'd say 75% right at this point.

But wearing it right is only part of the equation.  

Ok. But the IFR is way more important imo,

I mean I guess that is the same. But isn't the US like 14% currently if you get infection?
the number of deaths / the number of confirmed cases on worldometer has been holding pretty steady at around 6% for a while.  whatever you want to call that.

I was working on a reply similar to this, but you've summed up my thoughts pretty well. The CDC and the WHO both believe that masks are not essential if you are practicing social distancing and washing your hands.

The CDC has taken things a bit further by recommending face coverings in certain situations. OK. Does that mean that the WHO is committing an egregious offense for not following suit, even though they've got years of empirical data backing their position? I don't think so.

The irony here is that you could make a strong argument that the CDC was the one who was bowing to political pressure with their "face coverings" directive, whereas the WHO is the one making a decision based solely on science.

I see more and more people doing it right these days.

The first few weeks?  More wrong than right... I'd say 75% right at this point.

But wearing it right is only part of the equation.  
Do you have a specific type of face covering in mind, or posting more in general?

When you were writing a few weeks back about people touching their masks with dirty hands and such, I thought you, also, were coming from a medical-mask (esp. fit-tested N95s) perspective that didn't necessarily apply to cloth face coverings meant for source control.

I was working on a reply similar to this, but you've summed up my thoughts pretty well. The CDC and the WHO both believe that masks are not essential if you are practicing social distancing and washing your hands.
I have been run out of this thread a half dozen times making this argument.

I believe I was accused of trying to kill people on more than one occasion :lmao:

With the data seeming to indicate for awhile now that airborne droplet transmission is by far the largest risk and that fomite transmission seems pretty small, not recommending facial coverings because they’re worried people won’t wear them correctly or will contaminate themselves by touching their masks/faces seems like pretty bad risk analysis IMO.

Honestly, it seems like generally we should stop saying that washing hands is the primary method to prevent transmission and make it clear that wearing facial coverings/masks is the primary way to prevent transmission. That’s not to say that hand washing, disinfecting, etc. shouldn’t still be emphasized, but if the primary transmission is through inhaling airborne droplets, then keeping appropriate distances and wearing facial coverings are clearly the most important controls.

Users who are viewing this thread