What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (7 Viewers)

the moops said:
I think the camp vs sports thing is more of a "parents need a place to send their kids while they work" vs a "extracurricular activity that typically takes place outside of normal working hours"

And I say this as a heathen - religious services should be able to gather as may people as restaurants. But I bet the thinking is the immense pressure for opening up small businesses is stronger than than the pressure to open up services
The number of people seems less relevant than the distancing guidelines.  If a restaurant has enough outdoor space to seat 500 people such that each table is 12 feet apart, I don't see a problem allowing 500.  If they only have enough outdoor space to seat 25 with each table being 12 feet apart, then they shouldn't be allowed more than 25.  Ditto for religious services.  You have a field the size of Dallas Cowboys stadium and a big microphone?  Go for it.  You have a 10' x 10' lot?  Better restrict it to one family attending.

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit this guy is confirmation bias as I believe his stance. Can someone on the "other side" debunk this with facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkaTtJjY-ps

Sadly, it seems YouTube keeps removing the video. Hopefully it works for a while. 
Posting a 21-minute video kind of requires some Cliffs Notes. Too much of a time sink.

If it's on Youtube and it keeps getting taken down ... that's not for nothing. Are there particular points of his that you find compelling that you'd like the house to address?

You said that you believe his stance. Can you summarize his stance?

I admit this guy is confirmation bias as I believe his stance. Can someone on the "other side" debunk this with facts?

Sadly, it seems YouTube keeps removing the video. Hopefully it works for a while. 
His first point was "the original narrative was we need to flatten the curve".  That's just false.  The original narrative was "we need to flatten the curve IN ORDER TO buy time to develop testing and contact tracing".  He then launched into the typical Fox News talking points but provided no facts, just talking points like "hydroxycloroquine works, doctors are using it".

the moops said:
I think the camp vs sports thing is more of a "parents need a place to send their kids while they work" vs a "extracurricular activity that typically takes place outside of normal working hours"

And I say this as a heathen - religious services should be able to gather as may people as restaurants. But I bet the thinking is the immense pressure for opening up small businesses is stronger than than the pressure to open up services
Thats the problem I have. Its either safe or it isnt. 

Posting a 21-minute video kind of requires some Cliffs Notes. Too much of a time sink.

If it's on Youtube and it keeps getting taken down ... that's not for nothing. Are there particular points of his that you find compelling that you'd like the house to address?

You said that you believe his stance. Can you summarize his stance?
I watched 4-5 minutes.  His stance during the first half is essentially the lockdowns are causing more deaths than the virus and hydroxycloroquine works, it shouldn't be politicized.

All this sterilization stuff companies are doing with uv lights and sanitizer seems like overkill (showmanship) now with the CDC saying that it is very difficult to transmit the virus via surfaces. Are you guys still wiping down groceries and baking mail?

His first point was "the original narrative was we need to flatten the curve".  That's just false.  The original narrative was "we need to flatten the curve IN ORDER TO buy time to develop testing and contact tracing".  He then launched into the typical Fox News talking points but provided no facts, just talking points like "hydroxycloroquine works, doctors are using it".
Disagree. We need to flatten the curve IN ORDER to allow hospitals time to get ready is what I remember. 

OK, went to Google News and looked up Dr. Jeff Barke. Quickly found two articles that addressed several of his specific claims.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conflating the results of two different types of coronavirus tests, distorting several important metrics and providing the country with an inaccurate picture of the state of the pandemic. We’ve learned that the CDC is making, at best, a debilitating mistake: combining test results that diagnose current coronavirus infections with test results that measure whether someone has ever had the virus. The upshot is that the government’s disease-fighting agency is overstating the country’s ability to test people who are sick with COVID-19. The agency confirmed to The Atlantic on Wednesday that it is mixing the results of viral and antibody tests, even though the two tests reveal different information and are used for different reasons.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

My wife's friend complains about EVERYTHING. "Kids need to be in school. This remote learning isn't working."

Then CDC guidelines for school state kids should wear masks "I'm not sending my kid to school in a mask."

She sounds moronic and then puts all these thoughts in my wife's head. My wife telling me "it's unhealthy for a kid to wear a mask all day." I don't get this point. And "they're just trying to control us." Ok lunatic. Both these ideas came from her friend. 

Disagree. We need to flatten the curve IN ORDER to allow hospitals time to get ready is what I remember.
Then you remember incorrectly.  Flatten the curve in order not to overwhelm hospitals immediately, but also to give us time to understand the virus and develop testing/tracing capability.  Read the popular article The Hammer and The Dance from March.  Here's a link to it from March 19, although I don't think this is the original.  Note the heading: "Understand the True Problem: Testing and Tracing"

Read posts here from March.  I have one from March 26 saying the same.

Speculative is a much better word.

Asymptomatic spread of SARS-CoV-2 appears to occur in adults, and is known to occur in other infections. Kids are generally good vectors for disease spread, especially URIs. So it is reasonable to logically assume kids may asymptomatically shed and spread COVID-19, too. This is not a conclusion based on emotion.

To discount the possibility requires accurate testing and contact tracing. Since neither have been widely available in the U.S., it seems a bit premature to write off the possibility, IMO.
We dont have to write off the possibility. As always it isnt all or nothing. We also dont have to only rely on US data. If schools stay closed how would we ever get just the US data? 

We dont need to be able to say it is impossible.

But of course coming back around to how this conversation started, obviously lots of people are of that mindset which is exactly why I said it would be important for risk calculus for returning kids to school if we could write off asymptomatic spread. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conflating the results of two different types of coronavirus tests, distorting several important metrics and providing the country with an inaccurate picture of the state of the pandemic. We’ve learned that the CDC is making, at best, a debilitating mistake: combining test results that diagnose current coronavirus infections with test results that measure whether someone has ever had the virus. The upshot is that the government’s disease-fighting agency is overstating the country’s ability to test people who are sick with COVID-19. The agency confirmed to The Atlantic on Wednesday that it is mixing the results of viral and antibody tests, even though the two tests reveal different information and are used for different reasons.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
Too many scientists spoil the broth.

At a time when information about the virus and its transmission should be sharpening and coming into focus ... it seems that things are getting fuzzier and fuzzier and scientific consensus is pulling beyond our grasp. Is it an infection of politics into the knowledge-synthesis process? What's going on?

Then you remember incorrectly.  Flatten the curve in order not to overwhelm hospitals immediately, but also to give us time to understand the virus and develop testing/tracing capability.  Read the popular article The Hammer and The Dance from March.  Here's a link to it from March 19, although I don't think this is the original.  Note the heading: "Understand the True Problem: Testing and Tracing"

Read posts here from March.  I have one from March 26 saying the same.
Curve-flattening was never a narrow one-singular-reason kind of thing anyway.

Too many scientists spoil the broth.

At a time when information about the virus and its transmission should be sharpening and coming into focus ... it seems that things are getting fuzzier and fuzzier and scientific consensus is pulling beyond our grasp. Is it an infection of politics into the knowledge-synthesis process? What's going on?
The CDC isn't really a political branch of government, so I don't think it's that.  A much simpler explanation is that a significant number of people who work at the CDC are incompetent.  Not all of them of course, but enough to cause the agency to fail at what seem like basic tasks.  There's good a priori reason for thinking that that's the case.  The type of person who might consider employment at the CDC would generally have better career paths available in academia or the private sector.  I seriously doubt the CDC is in a position to hire the best of the best.  

The links dont really prove anything. They are using info "from public health experts", which he addresses in the video. 
Then it becomes an article of faith from one perspective or another. Debunking becomes impossible.

"Please bring me a rock ... just one rock."

"Here's a rock, sir."

"Wrong rock."

I mean, just to be clear, I have absolutely no training in epidemiology whatsoever.  But I have enough general quantitative literacy to understand immediately that you can't just toss viral test data together with antibody test data.  Those are different tests that measure different things in different populations.  It would be analogous to taking the number of jobless workers and adding that together with new jobless claims and pretending that the resulting metric means anything.

Then it becomes an article of faith from one perspective or another. Debunking becomes impossible.

"Please bring me a rock ... just one rock."

"Here's a rock, sir."

"Wrong rock."
And there's the rub. What makes a "public health expert's" opinion better for me than my personal doctor's? 

And there's the rub. What makes a "public health expert's" opinion better for me than my personal doctor's? 
All of our opinions are irrelevant. You’re free to believe what you want. Just a tip, if YouTube keeps removing it, there’s probably a reason.  

Wouldn't that depend on the context?  If the context is your personal health, then your personal doctor is likely in a better position to know.  If the context is "are testing and contact tracing effective and necessary to contain an outbreak of a pandemic disease", I'll take Dr. Fauci over your personal doctor.

All this sterilization stuff companies are doing with uv lights and sanitizer seems like overkill (showmanship) now with the CDC saying that it is very difficult to transmit the virus via surfaces. Are you guys still wiping down groceries and baking mail?
Never did.  

No, we bailed on that early on when it became pretty apparent that it wasn't being transmitted that way.

UV lights aren't showmanship, they are actually one of the real ways to kill the virus. The problem with UV is exposure time. In order to deconstruct the virus, the virus needs to be exposed to the light for a certain amount of time. If it can't meet that time requirement then it needs to be recirculated through the light until breaks down the virus which can take some time. Air changes in large buildings make it very difficult unless you have UV lights in the ductwork which pretty much no one other than hospitals have. Additionally UV lights have a shelf life. They need to be changed pretty regularly and guess where most of them are made?

Nope

Wouldn't that depend on the context?  If the context is your personal health, then your personal doctor is likely in a better position to know.  If the context is "is testing and contact tracing effective and necessary to contain an outbreak of a pandemic disease", I'll take Dr. Fauci over your personal doctor.
Particularly if your personal doctor's youtube video keeps getting removed by youtube for being misleading and Dr Fauci's doesn't

Never did.  
Yeah, I never wiped down or sterilized things that were brought into the house. I would leave mail to sit off to the side for a day or so unless it needed to be opened, if we had a delivery or take-out, I would unbox everything, throw the containers in the garbage and wash my hands. I expect to continue doing this for the foreseeable future.

Thats the problem I have. Its either safe or it isnt. 
Safe is a tricky term though, wouldn't you agree?

I can't get too upset at just about any decision most of these governors are making. They are in such a ####### tight spot that no matter what they do, either more people will die, or more people will lose their jobs.

In the end, I am comfortable with the majority of things Walz has done. He has taken a slow approach, no doubt, but he has listened to experts and been open about his thinking. He also seems like a solid dude 

Deaths are down 40%, we're doing 400,000 tests a day, the CDC is focusing on contact tracing and it does seem like warm/wet weather inhibits transmission -- progress!

Still need to improve on all three measures during the summer while we can -- it's in everyone's interest that this be as contained as possible by end of August/early September before a potential, bigger, second wave.

The whole thing is a cluster you know what.

Let me see if I understand this, you can't get the virus by surface contact. The virus isn't airborne , so you can't get it that way. Conclusion: 100k Americans have died because they were spit on is where we are at now?

No one knows anything about this virus--period. They are just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping to be the one agency/doctor that was right when this thing is studied and understood 5-10 years from now.  

Just frustrating....

1.1 million active cases in the USA and the director of the CDC comes out and says the country is ready to re-open.  That's not the type of thing you'd expect to see from the director of the CDC.  

This kinda seems much ado about nothing to be honest.

That article is talking about a new dashboard that was launched in the last week. That header is clickbait as governors arent using that dashboard to make decisions about their own states. 

The backup article that they link to in there is just a self serving piece.

For the past 11 weeks, the COVID Tracking Project at The Atlantic has been the country’s only reliable source for national testing data. (The tracker compiles the number of tests reported by each U.S. state and territory daily.) While the CDC has provided only occasional and rudimentary tallies of total tests, data from the COVID Tracking Project have been used by Johns Hopkins University, governors and members of Congress, and the White House.
The test count from the cdc has probably not ever been linked or mentioned in this thread once. I bet none of us knew about this new dashboard. So while the CDC should be representing things properly, this seems more like typical government rollout failure than any kind of data manipulation conspiracy that crack journalists at the atlantic uncovered. 

And unless worldometers is run by the atlantic, the bold is silly. Seeing as their about us lists the Atlantic as one of the orgs that has requested data from them, that seems unlikely. 

And obviously I am no CDC defender based on my past posts. 

I am part of a new-parent group online and somebody posted this. It's pretty informative. The author is a "Comparative Immunologist and Professor of Biology (specializing in Immunology) at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth."

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them
That's a great article, thanks.  I strongly agree with the idea that mass indoor gatherings are really bad for the spread, and outdoor gatherings, probably aren't. 

As for the first part, I loved the line "if you don't solve the biology, the economy won't recover."

These states are financially desperate, but are shooting themselves in the foot.  Once the virus takes off again, and the lockdowns start again, the economy is going to obviously suffer again.  The only way to fix the economy is to get rid of the virus.  

I didn't watch the video, but you couldn't be more wrong with your first point. No one was talking about contact tracing or unreasonable testing numbers until the lock downs started. It was all about flattening the curve. I was never in favor of lock downs, but considering what we saw in Italy and were starting to see in Spain, I didn't complain. We could not let our hospitals be overwhelmed like we were seeing there. Contact tracing and "we need (this many) tests per day" talk only started popping up when we started discussing reopening. 

Doctors were already using HCQ before Trump mentioned it. I don't know if it works, and there are bad enough side effects to prevent one person I know who has Lupus from using it. I first learned about it in January from a MedCram video. Trump didn't mention it until March. My sister has Lupus and takes it regularly. My cousin's wife also has Lupus, but her symptoms are minor, and she does not take it based solely on the side effects. Doctors are still using it to treat CV patients around the globe, and I doubt any of them are doing so based on anything Trump said.

This kinda seems much ado about nothing to be honest.

That article is talking about a new dashboard that was launched in the last week. That header is clickbait as governors arent using that dashboard to make decisions about their own states. 

The backup article that they link to in there is just a self serving piece.

The test count from the cdc has probably not ever been linked or mentioned in this thread once. I bet none of us knew about this new dashboard. So while the CDC should be representing things properly, this seems more like typical government rollout failure than any kind of data manipulation conspiracy that crack journalists at the atlantic uncovered. 

And unless worldometers is run by the atlantic, the bold is silly. Seeing as their about us lists the Atlantic as one of the orgs that has requested data from them, that seems unlikely. 

And obviously I am no CDC defender based on my past posts. 
Agree on the CDC data.  No one is looking at their data anyway. 

But for the states, it's big.  Georgia, as an example.  We think they are doing a great job of testing.  If they are combining testing, then we know that their numbers are skewed.

Users who are viewing this thread