What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

They're also 20+ miles away from any other hospital, and that's over a stretch of road bordered by either cane fields or swamp.
Correct...the good thing about the hospital is it IS new...it's only been opened a few years.  It's simply not big enough to deal with something like this.  Will be interesting to see how long it takes for this to make the news or if it's ever reported in a daily briefing.  In my experience, this is the exact demographic that gets "accidentally overlooked" more often times than not.  I'm not holding my breath.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Second waves and the virus getting rolling again have been a theme of yours for quite a while in here.  I keep wondering why you think that will happen with all of the precautions being taken across the country?  The initial wave of the virus took hold without any mitigation.  The majority of people will continue to distance, be careful, wash their hands, wear masks, stay home if they're able, and generally aren't completely returning to normal behavior even with businesses being able to open. 
I don't know how we can assume that the majority of people will continue to distance, be careful, wash their hands, wear masks, stay home if they're able.

And even if it is a majority, if the minority that is running around not practicing any of this, is sizeable enough, the majority is kinda ####ed anyway

Second waves and the virus getting rolling again have been a theme of yours for quite a while in here.  I keep wondering why you think that will happen with all of the precautions being taken across the country?  The initial wave of the virus took hold without any mitigation.  The majority of people will continue to distance, be careful, wash their hands, wear masks, stay home if they're able, and generally aren't completely returning to normal behavior even with businesses being able to open.

Completely eradicating the virus doesn't seem to be an immediate option.  The majority of people contracting this will recover.  Protect the vulnerable. 

(Current conversation in my office as we are taking temperatures of anyone entering the building:  "What's our cutoff temperature?  100.4.  He's at 99.8.  I think we should send them home."  Point being people are still extremely afraid, and will continue behaving that way.  Opening a few businesses isn't going to move the needle that much more. 
careful.  dont argue too much with him or he will report you. or maybe he will put you on ignore so he doesn't have to read anything he doesn't believe in.  he wants the country to continue being  shut down until the COVID is completely eradicated and then stay closed and quarantined for 6 months after that just to be sure.    really not worth the effort trying to convince him of anything.

Belle Glade Florida is getting really bad.  The hospital doesn't have the capacity they need.  My MIL is an ER nurse and she's been working 18 hour days.
That stinks Commish, I hope your MIL stays safe.  If you're anywhere around my age (and I know you've been on this board a long time so you probably are), that probably puts your MIL into a tough age bracket to be faced with this level of exposure.  :(

Not sure how adding in serological testing is "hiding numbers", isn't that what is done every year at the end of flu season anyways?

Explain.
Federal guidelines for reopening suggest you need to be able to test at a certain level to be able to open safely and manage any spikes. These guidelines are referring to active infection tests, not antibody test. Antibody tests do little to help monitor active outbreaks or assist in contact tracing.

By adding the antibody testing, it makes it look like they’re doing more testing than they actually are making them seem more prepared to open up.

careful.  dont argue too much with him or he will report you. or maybe he will put you on ignore so he doesn't have to read anything he doesn't believe in.  he wants the country to continue being  shut down until the COVID is completely eradicated and then stay closed and quarantined for 6 months after that just to be sure.    really not worth the effort trying to convince him of anything.
Somehow the ignore feature showed me this post.  I don't recall ever reporting anyone.  I have made frequent use of the ignore feature, though it only works half the time.  Your next statements about what I want are all completely false, which is probably why I had you on ignore to begin with.

I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. BYO Mask, stay in the car until a room is available and they call you.

I wonder if I should bring my own mask for the nitrous too. Damn. Where am I going to find one of those?
Crisis averted. Just called the Dentist and they did indicate that the nitrous option is still available. Sign me up. 

My own tunes, some nitrous, close my eyes. Maybe I'll just take a nap while I'm at it. 

That stinks Commish, I hope your MIL stays safe.  If you're anywhere around my age (and I know you've been on this board a long time so you probably are), that probably puts your MIL into a tough age bracket to be faced with this level of exposure.  :(
She's in her early 60s but you'd never know it.  She's out boozin' it up with us, going fishing, diving, you name it.  I'm concerned for her because of exposure, but I don't think she'd have a problem getting over it if she had it...at least that's what I tell myself.  The good (?) thing is, her mother, who's in Alabama, has fallen ill so she's not there right now.  She's in Alabama with her.  Of course that leave my FIL at home all by himself.  He has diabetes and requires dialysis.  He thinks the virus is a hoax.  My wife is freakin' out.  If he gets it, he will most certainly die.

This is only true if you because of NY. NY is seeing a decline, virtually everywhere else is still seeing an increase in numbers. But since NY had the most cases by such a large margin, their decline skews the overall numbers. 

We can argue whether or not the number of cases and the amount of increase everywhere else is cause for concern, but I think it’s important to understand that it’s not really the case that other states opened things up and saw a decline in their state after that.
I don't that's true now, but haven't looked specifically in the last couple weeks.  It was definitely true as NYC came down off its peak, but my impression is that a lot of states are seeing declines now.

Drop it. Keep this 100% on the topic and not personal stuff back and forth please. 

The F.D.A. issued a safety warning on April 24 for hydroxychloroquine, which it said could cause dangerous abnormalities in heart rhythm in coronavirus patients. The drug should be used only in clinical trials or hospitals where patients can be closely monitored for heart problems, the F.D.A. said
My comment was in reference to the timeline of when HCQ was being discussed here, not to whether it works.

Oh...and to give an update....wife went a couple days ago for antibody test...tested positive for antibodies.  Remember, just a few weeks ago, her COVID test came back "inconclusive" after being in limbo for almost two weeks.  So now, I guess the next step is to get the rest of us tested for antibodies?  Not really sure what to do with this information at the moment.  For some reason, the news angered me at first.

I don't that's true now, but haven't looked specifically in the last couple weeks.  It was definitely true as NYC came down off its peak, but my impression is that a lot of states are seeing declines now.
Looking at one hot-spot state, Louisiana:

Peak active cases was reported as 24,090 on 4/23. At the time, I believe there was no less distinction in the state's counts between total cases and active cases than there is now -- IOW, recoveries weren't being counted consistently. On the very next day, recoveries started being logged. Accordingly, on 4/24 reported active cases dropped to 9,553.

Active case count yesterday in Louisiana was reported as 6,459. Recovery counts are updated weekly, so fingers crossed for next Tuesday's report on active cases.

EDIT: revisions in red above -- total case count in Louisiana was 25,739 on April 23.

Looking at one hot-spot state, Louisiana:

Peak active cases was reported as 24,090 on 4/23. At the time, I believe there was no less distinction in the state's counts between total cases and active cases than there is now -- IOW, recoveries weren't being counted consistently. On the very next day, recoveries started being logged. Accordingly, on 4/24 reported active cases dropped to 9,553.

Active case count yesterday in Louisiana was reported as 6,459. Recovery counts are updated weekly, so fingers crossed for next Tuesday's report on active cases.

EDIT: revisions in red above -- total case count in Louisiana was 25,739 on April 23.
IIRC @Nathan R. Jessep posted the formula for calculating recovery, similar to other places I've seen, something like (date of positive test + x days) and (not dead and not hospitalized) < todays date 

We just got back from my daughter's graduation. It was organized well. Drive into the school grounds. One station to return books,one station for her gold chord and awards. Park the car, walk onto football field, pics of her receiving diploma, they say her name she walks on stage for photos, back in car and leave. Whole process is maybe 20 mins including the wait time in your car. Teachers directing traffic. Pretty big class so they had time slots to show up depending on first letter of last name. On one hand I feel bad for the kids as that is a fairly big step in life and they are not getting the full deal. On the other hand as a guy who has sat through to many graduations that went on for hours I did not mind it. All teachers were wearing masks.

We will see.  The first time, the numbers started from 0, but the environment was one that promoted explosive growth.  This time, the numbers start from 1.1 million (probably way more), but the environment is much less conducive to spread.

I'm not denying that.  I don't expect it to disappear.  I do not expect it to be nearly as bad as it was initially though. 
How bad it will be is ultimately a function of time and specific (i.e. local and continuously changing) transmissibility.  The Rt could be well below what it was and it could still be very bad...eventually. I like how Angele Merkle described the situation per a Guardian article.

"If the reproduction number of one were to go up to 1.1, Merkel explained, the German health system could be overwhelmed by October. If it were to go up to 1.2, hospitals could reach a crisis point in July, and if it went up to 1.3 the crisis point would come in June."

Oh...and to give an update....wife went a couple days ago for antibody test...tested positive for antibodies.  Remember, just a few weeks ago, her COVID test came back "inconclusive" after being in limbo for almost two weeks.  So now, I guess the next step is to get the rest of us tested for antibodies?  Not really sure what to do with this information at the moment.  For some reason, the news angered me at first.
A positive antibody test is a good thing! 

Congrats.  Great news.  No more mask wearing for you.

How bad it will be is ultimately a function of time and specific (i.e. local and continuously changing) transmissibility.  The Rt could be well below what it was and it could still be very bad...eventually. I like how Angele Merkle described the situation per a Guardian article.

"If the reproduction number of one were to go up to 1.1, Merkel explained, the German health system could be overwhelmed by October. If it were to go up to 1.2, hospitals could reach a crisis point in July, and if it went up to 1.3 the crisis point would come in June."
I have been paying attention to the Rt.  It takes into account the mitigation, correct?  Without mitigation the estimates for Rt have been ~ between 2-3.  Can't we keep certain mitigation measures in place (as all states are while re-opening) to keep the Rt around 1, which is where it has been for most states throughout the pandemic, until there's a safe vaccine available? 

Meanwhile do everything we can to isolate the vulnerable to reduce the deaths. 

Interesting tweet / link to paper

david friedberg @friedberg

amazing paper. 40-60% of population that have NOT had SARS-CoV-2 already have activated T Cells to the virus! likely due to cross-reactivity w/ other "common cold coronaviruses". may explain large % having easy time clearing virus and/or mild/no symptoms. https://t.co/OuwWLrBySp?amp=1

I did not read the paper and don't plan to, looks very technically dense.  But I've read other speculation that some common colds / other coronoviruses people have had could give a degree of immunity or easier recovery, and that this could explain some of the differences in severity between young and old, or certain geographic regions.

I did not read the paper and don't plan to, looks very technically dense.  But I've read other speculation that some common colds / other coronoviruses people have had could give a degree of immunity or easier recovery, and that this could explain some of the differences in severity between young and old, or certain geographic regions.
Is there a way to tell if it has been peer reviewed?

Who do you consider vulnerable and what do you propose should be done?
@Mr Anonymous has pointed out previously what wasn't done in nursing homes at the beginning of the initial wave citing nearly 100,000 layoffs.  Florida shifting resources to those types of facilities, in addition to other long term care facilities focused on the elderly, went a long way in beating their early predictions. 

Don't we all know who is vulnerable in a mortality sense due to COVID-19?  Those people should be self isolating.  Transparency from state and federal government would go a long way toward helping them.  Informing them of their options.  I have a 65 year old secretary with cancer who was planning on returning to work.  I had to inform her she was eligible for extended unemployment due to her condition.  I just needed a note from her doctor.  A lot of the people who are dying from this likely don't fully understand their level of risk.

I also heard this could be why some prison populations are doing well against it. 

I recall you posting about the inconclusive test.  That is pretty nuts and again shows how hard it is to get a handle on the actual numbers.  Hope your wife doesn't have any long lasting impacts from it and that it's all just good news having it in the rear view mirror.   

Louisiana had another one of those crazy spikes in reported cases today.  They had a lab that had been doing testing but was unable to report digitally to the state (what, are they running Windows 95?), so they reported all their tests today, dating back to March 25. More than 600 cases from that one lab alone.  That's the third time this has happened this month.  Ignore those crazy one-day jumps in our numbers. This is very frustrating for those of us trying to track things.  Hospitalizations and ventilator usage continue to fall steadily.

@Mr Anonymous has pointed out previously what wasn't done in nursing homes at the beginning of the initial wave citing nearly 100,000 layoffs.  Florida shifting resources to those types of facilities, in addition to other long term care facilities focused on the elderly, went a long way in beating their early predictions. 

Don't we all know who is vulnerable in a mortality sense due to COVID-19?  Those people should be self isolating.  Transparency from state and federal government would go a long way toward helping them.  Informing them of their options.  I have a 65 year old secretary with cancer who was planning on returning to work.  I had to inform her she was eligible for extended unemployment due to her condition.  I just needed a note from her doctor.  A lot of the people who are dying from this likely don't fully understand their level of risk.
I don't really read mr anonymous' posts anymore but I just googled and found that in 2019 there were 1.6m people employed in nursing homes. Not sure I can answer if 100k is a high number or not or whether these people were clerks or nurses.

We found out yday that 10m or so 65 yr old+ people participate in the workforce or want to (and that this trend is increasing). One would assume it is at least partly about the pay.
What specifically should be done at state and federal level for them (even if they do not have pre existing conditions like your secretary)?

This would be fantastic news and go a long way to understanding what's happening with this virus and how to mitigate it.

Is there a way to tell if it has been peer reviewed?
The article itself has "Pre-proof" in bold at the top of the cover page, and a "Journal Pre-proof" watermark on the text pages. Also, the authors note on the cover page that the study has not yet undergone review.

I don't really read mr anonymous' posts anymore but I just googled and found that in 2019 there were 1.6m people employed in nursing homes. Not sure I can answer if 100k is a high number or not or whether these people were clerks or nurses.

We found out yday that 10m or so 65 yr old+ people participate in the workforce or want to (and that this trend is increasing). One would assume it is at least partly about the pay.
What specifically should be done at state and federal level for them (even if they do not have pre existing conditions like your secretary)?
That's too bad.  He's made some pretty good points. 

Considering the amount of federal and state stimulus being thrown around it stands to reason they could be incentivized to stay home in a monetary way.  Have their employers keep them on their payroll and covered under employer sponsored insurance plans while matching those costs dollar for dollar as a tax break for the employer. 

Somehow the ignore feature showed me this post.  I don't recall ever reporting anyone.  I have made frequent use of the ignore feature, though it only works half the time.  Your next statements about what I want are all completely false, which is probably why I had you on ignore to begin with.
The ignore feature works when you click in to a new page.  It usually does not work when you refresh a page to see new replies.

I also heard this could be why some prison populations are doing well against it. 
Homeless folks, too.

That's too bad.  He's made some pretty good points. 

Considering the amount of federal and state stimulus being thrown around it stands to reason they could be incentivized to stay home in a monetary way.  Have their employers keep them on their payroll and covered under employer sponsored insurance plans while matching those costs dollar for dollar as a tax break for the employer. 
Would you monitor (if so, how) their compliance with the self isolation rules?

The ignore feature works when you click in to a new page.  It usually does not work when you refresh a page to see new replies.
The most frequent glitches for me is when I reply at the same time as an ignored poster :ugh:

Would you monitor (if so, how) their compliance with the self isolation rules?
Of course not.  They aren't being monitored now.  I'm strictly focused on ways the general population can safely get back to work while protecting those people most vulnerable at the same time.  If they aren't interested in being protected they can't be helped. 

Louisiana had another one of those crazy spikes in reported cases today.  They had a lab that had been doing testing but was unable to report digitally to the state (what, are they running Windows 95?), so they reported all their tests today, dating back to March 25. More than 600 cases from that one lab alone.  That's the third time this has happened this month.  Ignore those crazy one-day jumps in our numbers. This is very frustrating for those of us trying to track things.  Hospitalizations and ventilator usage continue to fall steadily.
Yeah ... at the moment, I think we are generally OK. Louisiana doesn't really have dense urban areas, little reliance on public transportation, and plenty of outdoor recreation. We have a few things working for us, especially as large public gatherings (chiefly our popular spring festivals) have been avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread