What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

Bad numbers from Arizona, NC and Florida early on today.  Possibly these are memorial day spikes?  I really expect late next week to start seeing protest-related rises.

Did you actually read the article?

The World Health Organization and several world governments changed their coronavirus policies and resumed trials of hydroxychloroquine because they got questionable data from the company, The Guardian reported Wednesday

The WHO announced Wednesday that those trials of the anti-malarial drug would now resume.
Yeah I read it.  If WHO didn't get the data then I can see them wanting to get their own data.  This isn't something to get freaked out about as some wide conspiracy.  

Jeez, a person posts something that sounds good, and gets jumped on for it.  Just smile and nod, please.  You know, like when someone shows you their ugly baby, and you say, aww, how cute.
I agree completely.

I have been one of the biggest Chicken Littles about this virus and thought the country was moving too quickly to re-open, but seeing that good hard-working Americans are getting to go back to work is great news. It is the first step in maybe us finding some form of normalcy. 

Let's get some sports back on-line. Some summer activities going and let's see what the numbers do. 

I do worry about protest spikes--if we don't see an uptick in 2-3 weeks after seeing some of those massive crowds, that would be pretty great. 

Jeez, a person posts something that sounds good, and gets jumped on for it.  Just smile and nod, please.  You know, like when someone shows you their ugly baby, and you say, aww, how cute.
Not sure how jumped one he was.  People pointed out things about the report and other relevant data.  All seemed to be about the report, not about the person and all seemed pretty civil.

How would those numbers from China change anything about the USA?  They stomped out the virus, the USA has not.
One thing that comes to mind is that they are asserting that the asymptomatic cases they found didn't spread easily. That seems to be important if true. 

There seems to be a very narrow window in which a slightly or pre symptomatic person can literally infect anyone nearby.  

That much is clear.  Setting policy around this is near impossible.  

So with China finished testing the entire city of Wuhan, some 10 million people, and supposedly only finding a few hundred asymptomatic cases does that mean anything? They were supposedly looking for a second wave and didn't find one. Since they are about 4 months ahead of us, does any of their data add anything meaningful to understanding the trajectory of the pandemic or just BS?
Maybe this thing is dying out like SARS

I know many are looking at the Rt Live website.  Here is the text at the top of the site...

"These are up-to-date values for Rt, a key measure of how fast the virus is growing. It’s the average number of people who become infected by an infectious person. If Rt is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly. When Rt is below 1.0, the virus will stop spreading."

My problem with the above, is it doesn't match what's really going on.

Vermont - Currently showing as the worst state.  Also showing as the worst for last week, 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks ago, and 6 weeks ago.  It's literally the highest number every step of the way for 6 weeks.  Based on these numbers, Vermont HAS to be the fastest spreading state, right?  Of course I understand their actual numbers won't compare to states like NY, because their population isn't even in the same ballpark.  But, on a per person basis, their cases should be going up faster than everyone else, right?  In reality, let's see Vermont's numbers.  I found this link... https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont#dashboard
One look at those numbers, and I fail to see how Vermont is such a petri dish.  They have fewer than 100 current cases.

I know many are looking at the Rt Live website.  Here is the text at the top of the site...

"These are up-to-date values for Rt, a key measure of how fast the virus is growing. It’s the average number of people who become infected by an infectious person. If Rt is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly. When Rt is below 1.0, the virus will stop spreading."

Vermont - Currently showing as the worst state.  Also showing as the worst for last week, 2 weeks ago, 4 weeks ago, and 6 weeks ago.  It's literally the highest number every step of the way for 6 weeks.  Based on these numbers, Vermont HAS to be the fastest spreading state, right?  Of course I understand their actual numbers won't compare to states like NY, because their population isn't even in the same ballpark.  But, on a per person basis, their cases should be going up faster than everyone else, right?  In reality, let's see Vermont's numbers.  I found this link... https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont#dashboard
One look at those numbers, and I fail to see how Vermont is such a petri dish.  They have fewer than 100 current cases.
According to that source, Vermont had 1 fatality in the past 21 days and has 0 people in the hospital currently with a confirmed case. 14 cases in the hospital are under investigation. 55 total fatalities. Maybe jaded, but those are good numbers.

Not sure I see how useful it is either. I looked yesterday to specifically see where NC was at since we didn't do our OBX trip this year and wanted to see what was going on. NC was where VT is today and they were something like 1.4 or maybe higher, a huge outlier. Today it's .9 something and the history doesn't show it ever being that high. It's a neat idea but I have no idea how these numbers are being generated or how useful it is.

It's hopping all over the place this week.  It's been very confusing.  I sent a note to them asking what was going on.  I'll let you know what they say (if they respond).  I am not wondering if they are doing a "rolling x days" sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just talked with a coworker that's in Mesa, he said it looks like the majority of the cases are from Tribal Reservations

It's hopping all over the place this week.  It's been very confusing.  I sent a note to them asking what was going on.  I'll let you know what they say (if they respond).  I am not wondering if they are doing a "rolling x days" sort of thing.
Yeah Alaska went from number 1 to number 50.  I like what they're doing, but I'm not convinced it's accurate yet.

does anyone have a link the breaks down how and where peoplecontracted the virus? like is there data that says 30% of the cases occurred in the house and our 50% were in close quarters indoors etc

A new worldwide high for daily cases at Covid worldometers with over 130,000.  Deaths exceeded 4,900 worldwide.  CNN had an article this morning stating what we've been seeing - a growing total, with things settling down some in the earlier countries such as in Europe, but growing hot spots in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America.  In those areas, some countries are doubling their number of cases every week or every two weeks. Eighteen countries with over 1,000 new cases today.

Looks like the study that said hydroxychloroquine was not safe was shown to be incorrect.  Color me shocked.
That's not what happened at all.  You're misrepresenting facts.   Color me shocked.  The original study was flawed, and Lancet has retracted it.  

However, following studies have confirmed that it is useless.

Hydroxychloroquine does not work against Covid-19 and should not be given to any more hospital patients around the world, say the leaders of the biggest and best-designed trial of the drug, which experts will hope finally settle the question.

“If you are admitted to hospital, don’t take hydroxychloroquine,” said Martin Landray, deputy chief investigator of the Recovery trial and professor of medicine and epidemiology at Oxford University. “It doesn’t work.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/05/hydroxychloroquine-does-not-cure-covid-19-say-drug-trial-chiefs

The drug has now been pulled from the UK's Recovery trial, which is run by the University of Oxford.

The findings have been passed on to the World Health Organization.

Back at the start of the pandemic, laboratory studies had suggested the malaria drug could affect the virus. Small-scale studies in China and France then hinted it might help patients.

There was a huge amount of hope, as the medicine is cheap and has been safely used to treat malaria and conditions such as lupus and arthritis.

However, the evidence supporting its use for coronavirus has been weak.

That is why the data from the Recovery trial is crucial. It is the first to test the drug in large numbers of people in a thorough clinical trial.

More than 11,000 patients with Covid-19 are taking part, with 1,542 patients given hydroxychloroquine.

Due to mounting controversy about the drug, the UK's drugs regulator last night asked the Oxford researchers to review their data.

The results showed 25.7% of people taking hydroxychloroquine had died after 28 days. This compared with 23.5% who were given standard hospital treatment.

"This is not a treatment for Covid," said Prof Martin Landray, part of the Recovery trial. The trial immediately stopped using the drug.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52937153

Trying to claim that the retraction of previously flawed studies somehow means this drug is somehow an effective treatment is a blatant lie and dangerously reckless.

Biff84 said:
Sounds like Arizona is looking really bad. They just had a press conference with the chief clinical officer for Banner Health and they’re approaching capacity.
http://bannerhealth.mediaroom.com/trending-now-at-banner?item=123055

During Thursday's conference, Ducey and other health officials also addressed the rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in or state. The governor said it was not unexpected. "When you see an increase in testing, you will see an increase in cases," he said.

"As you test more, you are going to find more," added AZ Health Services Director Cara Christ.

Ok, but your hospitalizations are also spiking. Stop spinning the numbers.

Ducey: Let them eat ice cream.😐

shader said:
Yeah Alaska went from number 1 to number 50.  I like what they're doing, but I'm not convinced it's accurate yet.
Agreed.  The numbers are all over the map.  On Wednesday, I posted that AL, ME, and UT were the only 3 states who were in the red for all 6 weeks, because that's what the website showed.  Just 2 days later, and somehow Idaho has been in the red all 6 weeks, whereas AL & ME have not been?  As was said, a good idea, but their numbers suck.

-fish- said:
That's not what happened at all.  You're misrepresenting facts.   Color me shocked.  The original study was flawed, and Lancet has retracted it.  

However, following studies have confirmed that it is useless.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/05/hydroxychloroquine-does-not-cure-covid-19-say-drug-trial-chiefs

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52937153

Trying to claim that the retraction of previously flawed studies somehow means this drug is somehow an effective treatment is a blatant lie and dangerously reckless.
Useless <> deadly which is what the retracted study said. So technically "what do you have to lose" was correct if the results turned out useless. 

Like many of us on here who are from the NYC area, I unfortunately know a lot of people affected by all of this. But happy to say that the case closest to me miraculously turned out well. 

Good friend of mine since we were in 7th grade, his mother came down with covid in mid April and went into the hospital pretty quickly. She was put on a ventilator three days later. She was on that ventilator for 19 days. Two separate times the doctors told the family to be prepared for her not to make it through the night. She ended up getting the plasma treatment and it helped her turn around. There were a couple setbacks still, but slowly she started to recover.

Yesterday after 50+ days in the hospital she was released to a rehab facility. Her husband, kids, and grandkids were all there to see her in person for the first time in more than two months. 

Talking to my buddy throughout this, knowing how close she was to dying, and then seeing the pictures that came from yesterday was just incredible. 

Unfortunately the job numbers are a bit of fake news, not that the OP would have known.  

A huge swath of people were mischaracterized and the unemployment rate is a full 3% higher than previously stated.  

16.3% unemployed.  That's a pretty shocking number.

NC is hitting record numbers.  That will only go up once the protest numbers hit.  Stage 3 isn’t happening any time soon. Mask usage falling off the map
I was seeing videos of the protestors going around outside of different, packed breweries in South End last night. Most of my friends think there is nothing to worry about and HATE that so much is still closed :wall:  

TN was on a 20-day streak of 350 cases a day.  The last week has seen a clear rise into the 450 range.

The downward trend in many areas has clearly halted. 

As a whole the USA was definitely heading down.  Not it appears it is slowly going up, just what you’d expect from a country that started giving up 2 weeks ago.

Id expect mid to late next week that we will start seeing protest impacts.  Today makes me sick to my stomach over what is around the corner.  

I was seeing videos of the protestors going around outside of different, packed breweries in South End last night. Most of my friends think there is nothing to worry about and HATE that so much is still closed :wall:  
Sorry to hear.  Most of my friends are the same. Just dying to get out. 

Users who are viewing this thread