Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, msommer said:

It wasn't a rhetorical question. It was an argument to negate your implication that we should disconsider the evidence from warm countries vis a vis spread of the Covid-19 in hot climates because of aircondition (which anyway doesn't seem that strong considering airconditioning is used in hot areas in the US as well).

It was a rhetorical question because you already knew the answer to the question.  That is the definition of a rhetorical question.  I will give you an example of how to communicate more respectfully.  You also asked Wilked an unnecessarily rude rhetorical question:

"Did you live in a trailer with seven or more immigrants workers from India or Pakistan?"

Instead, you could have said this:

"Foreign visitors are in air conditioning almost all of the time in Saudi Arabia but much of the local migrant workforce is not.  They live in very cramped quarters oftentimes without air conditioning.  The Coronavirus spread among these migrant workers has been huge and air conditioning can't explain the spread."

Edited by Don Hutson

Not sure if anyone cares, but here was experience at Dentist.

• Day before appointment took a series of CV related questions over the phone, asked me to take home temperature.
  • Upon arrival they had someone take forehead temperature in car, then let me in.
  • Hygienist was wearing surgical mask over N95 mask, gloves and goggles.
  • They take hygenist/DDS temp 3x a day (didn't see this, but was posted on their list of things they do)
  • Cleaning has limited tools, nothing that requires suction of water.  Polishing and similar done on the slowest setting.
  • Ask you to as much as possible to not engage in small talk (TOTALLY FINE WITH THIS)
  • Ask you to wear mask into/out of rooms and facility

:Shrug:

Cracked a tooth need a crown :kicksrock:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Posted in the Florida Politics thread...spikes are beginning to happen here in Florida.  Out by the lake in the Belle Glade / Pahokee area the ONE hospital they have is pretty much at capacity.  I only know this because my MIL works as an ER nurse and said it's unimaginable to see what is going on there right now.  That IS south Florida and I am in central Florida but it will be interesting to see if this is even acknowledged by our state officials.

I read an article this morning about how the lady that created the Florida covid database was just fired.  Surely they cannot be actually hiding a large number of cases, can they?  That is scary...

53 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Tennessee Numbers jumped up a bit yesterday (I think I had read that some business reported 57 people tested positive just from there).  But that big jump is worrisome.  Hopefully just a blip and they go back to the 100s and 200s of new cases rather than the just over 600 yesterday.

Definitely noticed that.  But to be fair, Sunday was a +100. So if you average the two together, we're at something like an average of 360 over the last two days, which is in the normal range.  

But, will definitely be watching today's numbers.

• Like 1

If I had one wish in all this I wish the media would stop reporting Sunday and Monday case and death counts.  It promotes a huge amount of misinformation.  Not Georgia level misinformation, but it does allow data doctors the chance to make a false narrative.  

Gathering the cumulative count on Tuesday and reporting EOD Tuesday seems the best way forward.  

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

And the day before, how many?  Because the cases were down.  Im not saying more testing isn't going to show more...but I don't believe that large jump was just because of more testing that day.

And as I said earlier...my concern is more in the next 2-3 weeks what we see about numbers around Nashville that didn't start "opening" until last week.  The other counties have not had the cases like Nashville so a rise with them going back to being more open is nice...but seeing what happens in the hot spot for the virus in the state (plus where I live) is more my concern.  Im sure also the concern of the city before the entertainment areas get to open up.

Thus far...my wife's office has yet to set a date for their employees returning to the office (that is both here and world wide I believe).

17k tests from Sunday/Monday.  Average of 8500.  Right in line with averages of the last few weeks.  There's no dramatic increase in testing that happened yesterday.  It was most likely just a bunch of reports that didn't get sent over on Sunday and were included Monday.

I'm with you on concern for TN.  The first few days of opening reminded me of a turtle popping it's head out of a shell.  People were just barely getting out, masks everywhere, nothing happening.

By the first weekend, traffic was significantly higher.  I think as the days have gone on, each day sees an increase in the resumption of "normal" activities.  Nothing close to February obviously, but a general increasing of activity levels, which will likely lead to a slow increase in cases counts over the next month. 

Where TN has advantages though, is that we do an incredible job of testing and there aren't a ton of active cases right now.  

Edited by shader
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

If I had one wish in all this I wish the media would stop reporting Sunday and Monday case and death counts.  It promotes a huge amount of misinformation.  Not Georgia level misinformation, but it does allow data doctors the chance to make a false narrative.  

Gathering the cumulative count on Tuesday and reporting EOD Tuesday seems the best way forward.  

On the flipside, Tuesday can often be slightly higher than normal as well.  Looks like we may be seeing that with Maryland's numbers today, +1,784.

It's really time to re-investigate the whole "Asymptomatic spread" thing.  

So much could be explained if that was found to be non-sense. It's still not clear how and why we latched on to this so quickly, and with what evidence. 

1 hour ago, Don Hutson said:

It was a rhetorical question because you already knew the answer to the question.  That is the definition of a rhetorical question.  I will give you an example of how to communicate more respectfully.  You also asked Wilked an unnecessarily rude rhetorical question:

"Did you live in a trailer with seven or more immigrants workers from India or Pakistan?"

Instead, you could have said this:

"Foreign visitors are in air conditioning almost all of the time in Saudi Arabia but much of the local migrant workforce is not.  They live in very cramped quarters oftentimes without air conditioning.  The Coronavirus spread among these migrant workers has been huge and air conditioning can't explain the spread."

I expected you to answer it, so while it may have been a socratean question, it was not rhetorical

46 minutes ago, culdeus said:

experience at Dentist.

Extremely disappointed with this post ;) 

Expecting much, moch more from a visit to @Dentist

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, culdeus said:

So much could be explained if that was found to be non-sense. It's still not clear how and why we latched on to this so quickly, and with what evidence. 

Initially it was used to "prove" that the Chinese numbers were bogus, IIRC, then that herd immunity was just around the corner.

That said there is something weird with asymptomatic cases that appear prevalent in prisons but not really elsewhere.

We'll likely get more data as testing goes from triaged to free for all (this is happening now AFAIK at least in Germany and Denmark) - hopefully that is one of the datapoints they note

42 minutes ago, culdeus said:

It's not the media's responsibility to compensate for inefficient bureaucracy.

Just now, [scooter] said:

It's not the media's responsibility to compensate for inefficient bureaucracy.

Or sloppy thought processes

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I think the prisons that had like 99% asymptomatic cases are a pretty good argument in favor. 

Eta: obviously there is a difference between "a" and "pre" 

Edited by parasaurolophus

4 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I think the prisons that had like 99% asymptomatic cases are a pretty good argument in favor. 

That also seems shaky, what if one person can spread very widely, while being symptomatic? 

In another way: The fact that cases present as symptomatic, does not mean that spread is also.

Just now, culdeus said:

That also seems shaky, what if one person can spread very widely, while being symptomatic? 

In another way: The fact that cases present as symptomatic, does not mean that spread is also.

I think there were also studies that showed high viral loads at times prior to symptoms showing. 

Just for some perspective on numbers...

As of yesterday for Louisiana:

-over 269K tests completed

-34709 total cases reported (only 12.87% positive of all tests completed... that's a decrease of 7-8% in the last 3-4 weeks)

-only ~8400 ACTIVE cases currently

• Like 3

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

Not sure if anyone cares, but here was experience at Dentist.

• Day before appointment took a series of CV related questions over the phone, asked me to take home temperature.
  • Upon arrival they had someone take forehead temperature in car, then let me in.
  • Hygienist was wearing surgical mask over N95 mask, gloves and goggles.
  • They take hygenist/DDS temp 3x a day (didn't see this, but was posted on their list of things they do)
  • Cleaning has limited tools, nothing that requires suction of water.  Polishing and similar done on the slowest setting.
  • Ask you to as much as possible to not engage in small talk (TOTALLY FINE WITH THIS)
  • Ask you to wear mask into/out of rooms and facility

:Shrug:

Cracked a tooth need a crown :kicksrock:

Interesting...mine still used the suction and water rinse as well as the water tool for scraping.  They also engaged in a little small talk, but not much.

Just now, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Just for some perspective on numbers...

As of yesterday for Louisiana:

-over 269K tests completed

-34709 total cases reported (only 12.87% positive of all tests completed... that's a decrease of 7-8% in the last 3-4 weeks)

-only ~8400 ACTIVE cases currently

Would like to see active cases become a more commonly-reported metric. Total cases always rise -- so looking at totals alone can make it look like nothing's changing for the better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Would like to see active cases become a more commonly-reported metric. Total cases always rise -- so looking at totals alone can make it look like nothing's changing for the better.

While a bit of a lagging indicator, aren't hospitalizations the easiest, most reliable, and important metric?  Why aren't those numbers broadly reported?

Edited by Blick
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Shouldn't you wish for active cases to be more uniformly counted?  Some states are taking an approach of (Days since positive test <28 AND /Dead = ACTIVE)  Then some places are taking this to be 60.  This is being abused in some data manipulation circles as evidence that France is doing a poor job of managing their cases, when they are simply using a more conservative burn off rate.  

2 minutes ago, Blick said:

While a bit of a lagging indicator, aren't hospitalizations the easiest, most reliable, and important metric?  Why aren't those numbers broadly reported?

Tend to agree. Hospitalizations and fatalities tend to be the "hardest" metrics.

Percent of positive tests becomes more important once those two numbers are low and testing capacity is high, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Werent the nba players all asymptomatic as well? 

Again, this doesn't mean the spread was done in this manner.  

1 hour ago, shader said:

17k tests from Sunday/Monday.  Average of 8500.  Right in line with averages of the last few weeks.  There's no dramatic increase in testing that happened yesterday.  It was most likely just a bunch of reports that didn't get sent over on Sunday and were included Monday.

I'm with you on concern for TN.  The first few days of opening reminded me of a turtle popping it's head out of a shell.  People were just barely getting out, masks everywhere, nothing happening.

By the first weekend, traffic was significantly higher.  I think as the days have gone on, each day sees an increase in the resumption of "normal" activities.  Nothing close to February obviously, but a general increasing of activity levels, which will likely lead to a slow increase in cases counts over the next month. 

Where TN has advantages though, is that we do an incredible job of testing and there aren't a ton of active cases right now.  

From the places Ive seen...its a mixed bag.

Went fishing Saturday and stopped in at a gas station just off I-40 between Nashville and Cookeville.  This gas station has like breakfast biscuits and hashbrowns and stuff.  There was a group of 5-6 older guys sitting on little cafe tables inside...its as if the virus doesn't exist there.  Now...sure, they have few cases...but these would likely be high risk individuals....not a mask in sight in that place.

After fishing, stopped in to grab some takeout (now in Lebanon)...restaurant had all staff in masks (id say 50/50 of customers walked in or out wearing masks)...tables roped off for good distancing.  Picked up takeout at a mexican place for my family and the family of my wife's best friend who came over to sort of picnic out in the back yard.  Mexican place looked to have a few inside...all staff in masks.  (drove by the same place yesterday after my dentist appointment and it looked pretty busy for lunch.

From what I have experienced in several places...people in Davidson Co are more likely to be wearing masks and taking it more cautiously...obviously the places more distanced from large cities are acting almost as usual.  Im avoiding Wilson Co about as much as possible...Ive seen far fewer masks there and people less likely to distance...the exception has been Demos' in Lebanon.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blick said:

I have wondered also. Our state only reports it at the state level (at least publicly reports it, no doubt they have the data internally). And hospital licensed/available bed capacity is already publicly tracked. This goes back to my theory I presented a couple of months ago. IMO, THE metric should be: % of hospitalizations to available hospital space. And some sort of "sliding scale" system that lockdowns/whatever more aggressive containment measurements go into place once the magic threshold has been crossed.  Of course that number is going to be different for every area, so I guess it would make sense to do it by region/county. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Again, this doesn't mean the spread was done in this manner.  

I find it unlikely that just a couple people at a prison could infect 500. But i also dont know how such a prison is scheduled for eating, recreation, library, etc. But i also have no idea about the follow up. So did like 25 people end up sick? 

I think it is pretty conclusive that presymptomatic people are spreaders. 

I am not so sure about people that never developed symptoms. 

8 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

From the places Ive seen...its a mixed bag.

Went fishing Saturday and stopped in at a gas station just off I-40 between Nashville and Cookeville.  This gas station has like breakfast biscuits and hashbrowns and stuff.  There was a group of 5-6 older guys sitting on little cafe tables inside...its as if the virus doesn't exist there.  Now...sure, they have few cases...but these would likely be high risk individuals....not a mask in sight in that place.

After fishing, stopped in to grab some takeout (now in Lebanon)...restaurant had all staff in masks (id say 50/50 of customers walked in or out wearing masks)...tables roped off for good distancing.  Picked up takeout at a mexican place for my family and the family of my wife's best friend who came over to sort of picnic out in the back yard.  Mexican place looked to have a few inside...all staff in masks.  (drove by the same place yesterday after my dentist appointment and it looked pretty busy for lunch.

From what I have experienced in several places...people in Davidson Co are more likely to be wearing masks and taking it more cautiously...obviously the places more distanced from large cities are acting almost as usual.  Im avoiding Wilson Co about as much as possible...Ive seen far fewer masks there and people less likely to distance...the exception has been Demos' in Lebanon.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that these non-mask wearing/no distancing types are all about "I'm not wearing no mask/distancing 'cuz I'm not afraid."

They still don't get that wearing a mask is a courtesy to others in case that they themselves have the 'rona. Not enough PSAs out there on this? :wall:

• Like 2

My university is no longer using the term "mask."  It's now a "face covering."  Sadly, I'm seeing the exact same euphemism at other schools too.

Can we please just stick with English, people?  It's called a mask.  It's always been called a mask.  Just use the short, concise, universally-understood word that already exists.

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

My university is no longer using the term "mask."  It's now a "face covering."  Sadly, I'm seeing the exact same euphemism at other schools too.

Can we please just stick with English, people?  It's called a mask.  It's always been called a mask.  Just use the short, concise, universally-understood word that already exists.

I'm sure someone got offended by the term mask. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

You cant say mask! People will buy all the masks then! Think of the doctors! 

13 minutes ago, glock said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that these non-mask wearing/no distancing types are all about "I'm not wearing no mask/distancing 'cuz I'm not afraid."

They still don't get that wearing a mask is a courtesy to others in case that they themselves have the 'rona. Not enough PSAs out there on this? :wall:

I actually see more "cuz its a hoax" or "cuz its a government conspiracy" types.

8 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I, for one, love a good euphemism.  Of course, that sentence was hard to type, what with me wearing hand coverings.  

36 minutes ago, Blick said:

Well, even hospitalizations ... that always accumulates, too. But most COVID-19 patients are discharged eventually.

If you mean current COVID hospitalizations and not cumulative COVID hospitalizations, I agree with you that it's a helpful metric.

8 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The neck gaiters and multipurpose head wrapper thingees ain't "masks." :P

33 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Shouldn't you wish for active cases to be more uniformly counted?  Some states are taking an approach of (Days since positive test <28 AND /Dead = ACTIVE)  Then some places are taking this to be 60.  This is being abused in some data manipulation circles as evidence that France is doing a poor job of managing their cases, when they are simply using a more conservative burn off rate.  

Well, sure. We get what we can get otherwise.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

"Face covering" has been the CDC description since the directive was introduced on April 3rd.

It seems like it's their way of making a distinction between PPE (which should be prioritized for front-line workers) and non-medical-grade equipment.

edit: and also to underscore the fact that you can use a bandana, gaiter, baklava, or other non-mask item.

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, glock said:

Don't you dare call it a buff!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, glock said:

They are the same as pretty much any other non n95 mask 

Edit: misunderstood your post :)

Edited by belljr

16 minutes ago, lod001 said:
19 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I'm sure someone got offended by the term mask. 

Or maybe they are trying to make it clear that all sorts of face coverings are sufficient and it doesn't need to be an actual mask.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I find it unlikely that just a couple people at a prison could infect 500. But i also dont know how such a prison is scheduled for eating, recreation, library, etc. But i also have no idea about the follow up. So did like 25 people end up sick? 

I think it is pretty conclusive that presymptomatic people are spreaders. 

I am not so sure about people that never developed symptoms. 

Not sold.

These to me spell out a pattern where one person can spread it very widely:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/8/20-1274_article

But they go on:

The role of asymptomatic COVID-19 case-patients in spreading the disease is of great concern. Among 97 confirmed COVID-19 case-patients in this study, 4 (4.1%) remained asymptomatic during the 14-days of monitoring. This rate is lower than the 30.8% rate estimated in previous modeling (4). A case-patient series from Beijing, China, indicated that asymptomatic case-patients accounted for 5% (13/262) of patients transferred to a designated COVID-19 hospital (5). Our data might represent the likely proportion of asymptomatic COVID-19 infections in the community setting. We also found that, among 17 household contacts of asymptomatic case-patients, none had secondary infections. Previous reports have postulated that SARS-CoV-2 in asymptomatic (or presymptomatic) case-patients might become transmissible to others (6); however, given the high degree of self-quarantine and isolation measures that were instituted after March 8 among this cohort, our analyses might have not detected the actual transmissibility in asymptomatic COVID-19 case-patients. Robust mass testing of all suspected case-patients might have prevented asymptomatic transmission because asymptomatic persons were given information about their possible infection and therefore might have self-isolated from their household members.

I think this is exactly where I'm at.  I feel like that the data and postulation that there is asym transmission is spotty, at best.  With better contact tracing we need to find situations where we can conclusively say that people that developed symptoms/tested positive never came in contact with a symptomatic person.  

A lot of this thought process is contained here:

Caveat, there is a lot of skepticism of this news source. As always, please wear gloves and mask when navigating outside this website.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

The German cluster does reveal another interesting aspect about the new virus, Drosten says. So far most attention has gone to patients who get seriously ill, but all four cases in Germany had a very mild infection. That may be true for many more patients, Drosten says, which may help the virus spread. “There is increasingly the sense that patients may just experience mild cold symptoms, while already shedding the virus,” he says. “Those are not symptoms that lead people to stay at home.” 

My thought process is that as we communicate that any cold symptoms should be treated at CV and tested as such we can reduce transmission which is NOT happening without symptoms.  Poke holes.

6 minutes ago, the moops said:

Or maybe they are trying to make it clear that all sorts of face coverings are sufficient and it doesn't need to be an actual mask.

Yes, saying mask begs all sorts of questions about whether this or that will qualify.  Face coverings is a term more indicative of what is actually expected, and therefore more accurate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Doug B said:

If you mean current COVID hospitalizations and not cumulative COVID hospitalizations, I agree with you that it's a helpful metric.

IMHO it should be current covid hospitalizations/(current covid ICU hospitalizations+free ICU space) to give an idea of how close to capacity the hospital(s) is(are) running.

Potentially in free ICU space you could include short term additional capacity that could be brought online wirthin say 72 hours

Reason for ICU capacity is that I'd expect that to be more of a bottleneck that general hospital beds

Edited by msommer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Your university is correct, and using an accurate term instead of less accurate word is proper English.   Hope you're not teaching languages.  

22 minutes ago, culdeus said:

My thought process is that as we communicate that any cold symptoms should be treated at CV and tested as such we can reduce transmission which is NOT happening without symptoms.  Poke holes.

I dont understand this paragraph. 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, JbizzleMan said:

I'm not a fan of publishing stories based solely on something that the reporter saw on Facebook.

I mean, it looks like all the reporter did here was copy the guy's Facebook posts. There was no corroboration and no follow-up. Very lazy, very unprofessional.

That's the kind of "reporting" that you expect to see on Medium or Heavy.com, not a mainstream outlet like NBC.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

:kicksrock:  

The U.S.-Canada border restrictions will be extended for another 30 days as both countries continue to combat the coronavirus pandemic, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Tuesday. 

https://thehill.com/policy/international/498501-us-and-canada-extend-border-restrictions-to-june-21

ETA- just saw this at the bottom of that article which leaves me VERY unsure of it opening even in June:

The administration is reportedly working to unveil a new order that would indefinitely extend border restrictions amid the coronavirus outbreak, according to The New York Times. 

The move, which is reportedly being reviewed by several government agencies, would keep legal points of entry shuttered and restrict nonessential travel through Mexico and Canada until the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determines that the coronavirus no longer posed a threat to public health.

Edited by snogger

3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

I dont understand this paragraph. 

I am challenging the assertion that this virus spreads from asymptomatic carriers.  

In admittedly, a semi-exhaustive search, I can find no direct evidence for this assumption or assertion which has taken hold of the media and our policy.    

I would put forward a theory that you need to be symptomatic to spread this disease and those that are symptomatic are exceptionally contagious.  Moreso than we think possible, and can infect dozens upon dozens of people in a controlled environment.  

Our defense mechanisms need to be built smartly around this.  We should treat every cough and fever as a code red.  Testing those people, quickly, will help isolate the infected and bring down the community spread.