What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

And if you are 20-something, which of those people above are really risky, besides your grandparents, and how often does a 20-something see their grandparent?
If you're 20-something it's very likely that you have parents in their 50s.  

If you're 20-something it's very likely that you have parents in their 50s.  
There is a huge difference in risk factor between a 20-something's parents vs grandparents.

60% of all COVID deaths are over 75 years old.  Where does a 20-something run into a 75 year old these days?

There is a huge difference in risk factor between a 20-something's parents vs grandparents.

60% of all COVID deaths are over 75 years old.  Where does a 20-something run into a 75 year old these days?
12% of deaths are 55-64.   They almost all have relatives in that zone.

I mean I don't know a ton of people but with kids in school and family I would have expected a death two degrees of separation by now, nope.  Probably at best 3 degrees and that's sort of a stretch.

This thing is just so targeted.

I mean I don't know a ton of people but with kids in school and family I would have expected a death two degrees of separation by now, nope.  Probably at best 3 degrees and that's sort of a stretch.

This thing is just so targeted.
This is the issue so many have.  Hasn’t happened to me or anyone I care about.....

This is the issue so many have.  Hasn’t happened to me or anyone I care about.....
I just have few elderly people I know. My wife's grandma is in a home and is a defacto prison now.  Our parents are just eeking into the 65 range.  Not at all concerned.   (They aren't for themselves). 

:Shrug: 

heading to a beach house for two weeks this week.  Not the least bit worried.  

What % of the population do you think have been exposed to the virus? 10%? 20%?

There's still a long way to go for this thing to run through the population.

FWIW, my wife has a colleague (an ER physician), who got it. She contracted it from her husband (an ICU doc). She didn't need medical attention, but her husband was in the ICU for ~10 days. Didn't need a vent, but was close to being intubated.  I have a neighbor whose grad school advisor died from COVID.

You WILL know someone or know OF someone that has a serious brush with this virus.  Might take 2 years though.

I just have few elderly people I know. My wife's grandma is in a home and is a defacto prison now.  Our parents are just eeking into the 65 range.  Not at all concerned.   (They aren't for themselves). 

:Shrug: 

heading to a beach house for two weeks this week.  Not the least bit worried.  
I’m not worried too much about myself either, but reducing positive cases and community spread seems a societal goal for elderly to get out of their de facto prison faster.

My wife’s parents are in their 80s, and live in New Mexico while all of their kids are on the east coast. I feel sad for them because they are basically going to lose a year from seeing their grandkids.

You say it like it is a bad thing so many people have sacrificed to arrive at this point without loved ones getting sick?

I'll take that issue all day everyday.  Sign me up.

Not in the least.

We are long overdue for practical thought to take hold.
Agreed.  If going to see Grandma and grandpa wear a mask and keep your distance if you think you’ve been exposed. How long do we expect those low at risk to live in a bubble.  An effective vaccine isn’t coming anytime soon.

I followed things somewhat closely early on but it became too much so I only check in to the news or this thread a few times a week.  Is the case numbers continuing to go up pushing the death rate much?  Also, do they think that doctors have a better handle on treatment?
The case fatality rate is leveling off somewhere between 5-6% in the US. CFR for the world is a little higher, but converging to roughly the same range - there’s probably a reason for that. The most commonly cited CFR for the 1918 flu pandemic is 2.5%, though some have argued it may have been as high as 10%.

There are not a lot of groundbreaking treatments. Prone oxygen delivery seems to decrease the risk of mechanical ventilation, though randomized control studies are ongoing. Remdesivir improves recovery time by up to 4 days in a subset of patients. Convalescent plasma therapy is being promoted, despite an absence of good data. Some ICU docs are putting patients on blood thinners, based largely on a better understanding of the pathophysiology of SARS-CoV-2 infection. 

Nothing else has gained much traction. Presidential endorsement notwithstanding, hydroxychloroquine has fallen out of favor.

12% of deaths are 55-64.   They almost all have relatives in that zone.
Well, I guess you could say almost all people have relatives in every age zone, therefore every single person should act like they live with a bunch of 100 year olds with lung problems.  We are playing the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game here.  My point is, if you don't really have close contact with at-risk folks, should you feel worried that you may give it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who dies?

most of the protesters I saw were in their 20's :shrug: don't they care about grandma?
no opinions on this?   In my neck of the woods (Philly) the majority of the protestors are college age and last week maybe 50% were wearing masks..  I will say this weekend that number has increased, but they are all still breaking the governor's guidelines..   too many mixed messages..   10 days ago we were crushing people at a swimming pool..    :shrug:

Well, I guess you could say almost all people have relatives in every age zone, therefore every single person should act like they live with a bunch of 100 year olds with lung problems.  We are playing the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game here.  My point is, if you don't really have close contact with at-risk folks, should you feel worried that you may give it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who gives it to someone who dies?
It is almost never 6 degrees though. I get what you are saying, but there are 10's of millions of people that have an at risk parent/neighbor/sibling/whatever. There is no easy answer for sure

It is almost never 6 degrees though. I get what you are saying, but there are 10's of millions of people that have an at risk parent/neighbor/sibling/whatever. There is no easy answer for sure
I guess what I would expect of a 20 year old who has no real contact with at-risk people is the common courtesy of following the basic COVID rules, but only when in proximity to at-risk people.  I see no reason for a bunch of 20-somethings to wear masks even if they are packed into enclosed areas like sardines, and more important, neither do they.  

I guess what I would expect of a 20 year old who has no real contact with at-risk people is the common courtesy of following the basic COVID rules, but only when in proximity to at-risk people.  I see no reason for a bunch of 20-somethings to wear masks even if they are packed into enclosed areas like sardines, and more important, neither do they.  
I bet 90% of the people marching in DC yesterday were wearing masks.  Outside.  I had trouble finding people who weren't when CNN panned the crowd.  Find a clip and have a look.

I bet 90% of the people marching in DC yesterday were wearing masks.  Outside.  I had trouble finding people who weren't when CNN panned the crowd.  Find a clip and have a look.
That's a very good thing.  Perhaps there is hope yet for the younger crowd.

Seems like all the #######s were out today. Some older guy who never wears a mask (He comes in with one and takes it off) and we also suspect he's been stealing comes in. Flipped his #### when we went after him today. 2 Black girls come in constantly who do 3 separate orders we keep telling them they can do whatever order has the beer and wine they can do that with that. They just have too many items. 

I get a phone call for a customer trying to help them and some clown is trying to get in my line without alcohol. I politely apologize to the women and say I have someone being an impatient jerk in line. Her call was a bit weird. I tell the guy who throws his stuff up Beer and wine only and he goes with yeah they said you were suppose to take anyone? I asked him who and told him he could call corporate because since the pandemic and the state stores closing we were doing beer and wine only with express items no beer and wine we weren't taking you (A lot of complaints from people buying alcohol and our lines are nuts and super long because of this we changed our protocol). Another guy tries to but in my line with no beer or line. I tell him the line is down the aisle beer and wine only. He motions like he' getting beer and wine. Comes up in the line no beer and wine with his items. He tells me well it doesn't say it on the sign. I told him that I was telling him earlier when he rudely tried to cut in line this is what it was. Another guy I tell him its 10 items or less WITH HIS BEER COUNTING. OH I think I have about 9 with the wine. 25 items later. I said yeah next time you have this much you get the alcohol here and then you go elsewhere for your other stuff. 

Another customer gets mad I tell her she needs a mask. 

This whole thing needs to be over soon

That's a very good thing.  Perhaps there is hope yet for the younger crowd.
There was a good tweet (I gotta find it) by someone who posted a tweet on the riot cops that were not marked of who they worked for no badges or matching shirts outside the White House and none of them wearing masks. The protestors were. This was the crowd that these guys instigated and then tear gassed 

There was a good tweet (I gotta find it) by someone who posted a tweet on the riot cops that were not marked of who they worked for no badges or matching shirts outside the White House and none of them wearing masks. The protestors were. This was the crowd that these guys instigated and then tear gassed 
blackwater

Banner Health reporting their ICU’s are at capacity. Have at it Arizona. 
Wait a second...I thought we were doing a great job keeping the virus at manageable levels? Surely they could have predicted this several weeks in advance and ramped up NPIs accordingly? 

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, has anyone seen a concrete plan to pull in the reigns on "reopening" society, based on hospital/ICU capacity? I realize most hospitals have plenty of beds ATM, but what is the threshold for scaling back elective procedures, curtailing high risk activities, etc. if a local spike occurs? 

Why is everyone still so fixated on cases per day numbers...unless testing is steady each day they are irrelevant.  The whole point of lockdowns was to flatten the curve so hospitals don't get overrun.  The only stats that matter are hospitalizations and deaths per day.  The more healthy folks that are getting it the better...as long as the hospitalizations/death curves don't spike.

And the riots  have made this all irrelevant.  I saw in California, the new guidelines allowed no more the groups of 12 for social gatherings...and right below that was protests were allowed if it was 100 people or less!  So basically, if you call your birthday party a protest, you are allowed 100 people!  Some of these states are ridiculous!
May need to protest the lack of sports.  Instead of speakers, we could have NFL games.

Banner Health reporting their ICU’s are at capacity. Have at it Arizona. 
After watching NYC go through this many weeks ago, they will have no choice but to find a way.  To the best of my knowledge, we never had to put multiple people on a single ventilator, or refuse service to a sick COVID patient.  In the health care system, there is no such thing as capacity.

Is it true New Zealand is covid free?
According to worldometer, the area around Australia is pretty clean.  Australia is showing 457 active cases, and New Caledonia with just one.  All the other islands are supposedly COVID free at the moment.  New Zealand has reported no new cases in 2 weeks.

Wait a second...I thought we were doing a great job keeping the virus at manageable levels? Surely they could have predicted this several weeks in advance and ramped up NPIs accordingly? 

:sarcasm:

Seriously though, has anyone seen a concrete plan to pull in the reigns on "reopening" society, based on hospital/ICU capacity? I realize most hospitals have plenty of beds ATM, but what is the threshold for scaling back elective procedures, curtailing high risk activities, etc. if a local spike occurs? 
Answer: there is none.  

We've decided whomever dies. Dies.  

Answer: there is none.  

We've decided whomever dies. Dies.  
I don't think that's the plan, at least not everywhere. But there are so many variables in the equation, it's really tough to prospectively determine when hospitals are approaching the breaking point.

I followed things somewhat closely early on but it became too much so I only check in to the news or this thread a few times a week.  Is the case numbers continuing to go up pushing the death rate much?  Also, do they think that doctors have a better handle on treatment?
This is a very good point that has not gotten any real discussion.  The treatment techniques used by doctors have morphed over time as they get more experience with patients.

Shankopotamus said:
As for the case/death rate, some states are kicking butt and others are trending in the wrong direction.  Overall, I would say deaths are on the decline.  To put it bluntly, we are running out of old people.  We have, over time, learned a few tricks that have helped doctors in this pandemic.

Shankopotamus said:
This is a very good point that has not gotten any real discussion.  The treatment techniques used by doctors have morphed over time as they get more experience with patients.
Agreed.  I have no idea how many lives have been saved by prone oxygen, but one thing is for sure - we will learn from our mistakes.  That is a guarantee, no matter how stupid we are.

TheWinz said:
They can say it all they want, but it's fake news.  It's like me saying I've run out of beer, but live next door to a packy and have unlimited money.
[tangent]

Never use the bolded word among people from Pakistan, India, the UK, or Ireland.

[/tangent]

I feel like the US has basically said, as long as people <65 aren't really getting hit too badly I'm just going to keep going along with my life.

That being said I have no idea how you manage school this fall under an increasing hospital load.  I figure we just say to hell with it, and look at an extended Thanksgiving break, if needed.

I see no reason to not have kids go back to school in the Fall.  
Yup.  As @culdeus said above, if you are over 65, sucks to be you.  But people under 65 are gonna live their lives, and there is no reason they should adhere to any rules.  This virus is as deadly to them as the common flu, so why should they act any different?  Seems like the only people who need to change the way they act are seniors.  It's their job to avoid everyone else - not the other way around.

Texas is seeing a pretty sharp increase in hospitalizations over the last 2 weeks. Its a concerning trend. Hopefully its just a blip.

Yup.  As @culdeus said above, if you are over 65, sucks to be you.  But people under 65 are gonna live their lives, and there is no reason they should adhere to any rules.  This virus is as deadly to them as the common flu, so why should they act any different?  Seems like the only people who need to change the way they act are seniors.  It's their job to avoid everyone else - not the other way around.
Even something as simple as wearing face coverings?

Dezbelief said:
blackwater
Wouldn't be surprised they are absolute scum. Had an army buddy in college who dealt with them in Iraq guys thought they were above the law then too. Eric Prince the former Blackwater President is the brother or in law of Betsy Devos. Prince has been in talks with different Russian back military groups to possible get involved in the industry again. 

Texas is seeing a pretty sharp increase in hospitalizations over the last 2 weeks. Its a concerning trend. Hopefully its just a blip.
Looking at some DR reports online this isn't a blip. They are saying this is from States who reopened too quickly. Trump and company will try to blame it on the protests but it take 2 weeks to see results anyway. These cases are from Memorial Day Weekended of people being out and about 

Users who are viewing this thread