Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

On 5/21/2020 at 6:31 PM, kutta said:

I go through Dallas at least four times a month in normal months. I love that airport. I didn't go through it this time, but I assume the restaraunts are all closed.

In DC they had a bar that was open and serving food, but they only allowed 10 people in. I was number 9 :)

EDIT: Here's the pics of DCA and PHX I took last Saturday: https://imgur.com/gallery/PT0M5YQ

Very different experience so far at LaGuardia. Airport is as crowded as a usual slowish day. Full flight,  even a standby list.

1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

OK, after some number crunching, my guess is the MEAN is just shy of 77 years old.  Again, sorry for not knowing the difference between mean and median.  If I had a nickel for every time I failed math, I'd have 23 cents.

Thanks, appreciate the input. I guess I would like to have a discussion about this being a story, but I fear it would fall into a political rant back and forth. I will let it go here and seek another place to discuss it. 

I need some advice from any real estate people reading this: my father passed away in February, we did some repairs to his house and we put it up for sale. After the shutdown started I was leaning toward not putting it on the market until things opened up, but our broker convinced me other wise. It’s a luxury house that my family owns, in a nice part of Huntington Beach near the beach, and it’s priced around 1.8 based on comps (before somebody thinks I’m suddenly loaded, a lot of that will go to pay taxes and then be divided up among family). 
so we put it up, got some interest and some low ball offers, around 300k less. . My family would love me to move on it, they can use the cash but it’s my decision. 
My question is: how will COVID affect the market for homes? When things open up will there be more interest? Is it wise to wait? Or will the economic situation lead to a depression in prices as in 2009? What do you guys think? 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I need some advice from any real estate people reading this: my father passed away in February, we did some repairs to his house and we put it up for sale. After the shutdown started I was leaning toward not putting it on the market until things opened up, but our broker convinced me other wise. It’s a luxury house that my family owns, in a nice part of Huntington Beach near the beach, and it’s priced around 1.8 based on comps (before somebody thinks I’m suddenly loaded, a lot of that will go to pay taxes and then be divided up among family). 
so we put it up, got some interest and some low ball offers, around 300k less. . My family would love me to move on it, they can use the cash but it’s my decision. 
My question is: how will COVID affect the market for homes? When things open up will there be more interest? Is it wise to wait? Or will the economic situation lead to a depression in prices as in 2009? What do you guys think? 

Real estate is very local.  Though the thought of putting in a 300k offer on a house worth 1.8M is pretty damn funny.

I will say that at the beach in AL beach house prices actually went up after Katrina as folks thought there were deals to be had.  The logical thing may not apply to some of these markets during this crazy time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hooper31 said:

Thanks, appreciate the input. I guess I would like to have a discussion about this being a story, but I fear it would fall into a political rant back and forth. I will let it go here and seek another place to discuss it. 

What would age have to do with politics?  Sounds like a great discussion for this thread.  Start us off...

1 hour ago, msommer said:

Back up your assertations better in the future

I'll leave it to you to show that there isn't a causal relationship between depression and substance abuse.

That it's so obvious means that, for whatever reason, you've decided that this thread is the one to troll.  It isn't.  Please find another playground.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sand said:

Real estate is very local.  Though the thought of putting in a 300k offer on a house worth 1.8M is pretty damn funny.

I will say that at the beach in AL beach house prices actually went up after Katrina as folks thought there were deals to be had.  The logical thing may not apply to some of these markets during this crazy time.

I assume he meant the offer was 1.5M

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sand said:

No I meant 300k less. So 1.5 million. Sorry 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

No I meant 300k less. So 1.5 million. Sorry 

:lmao:

You wrote it fine - my reading comprehension sucks.  I don't know anything more than the anecdote I wrote above, but it sounds like a nice property.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Here in CT I just had 2 sets of friends.  One pair were buying, and one were selling.  The sellers sold for full price in 2 days, and the buyers also paid full price for their home.

8 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

What would age have to do with politics?  Sounds like a great discussion for this thread.  Start us off...

I believe our national response to this is a monstrous over-reaction. Again, I don't think it will evolve well here. I took it to the sub-forum. 

52 minutes ago, jamny said:

Very different experience so far at LaGuardia. Airport is as crowded as a usual slowish day. Full flight,  even a standby list.

Wow! That’s nuts!

• Thinking 1

55 minutes ago, jamny said:

Oof. Bad things ahead. ☹️

I will no longer be adhering to lane lines while driving. It is not my responsibility to keep other drivers safe. I thought this was a free country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I will no longer be adhering to lane lines while driving. It is not my responsibility to keep other drivers safe. I thought this was a free country.

Like drivers in New York ever followed lane lines. 

ETA: was skimming this video to find examples of people cutting all over, happened to watch at 15:32 ish. If you look closely you will see a skateboarder holding onto the truck to the left. Look how he almost gets smashed between the truck and the cab. 

Edited by parasaurolophus

3 hours ago, beer 30 said:

And yet Walmart/Target/Lowe’s/HomeDepot have been packed since day one. Same rules apply there as would a church opening up.

Yeah...this I will NEVER understand from a logical perspective.  Two weeks ago when we began to "open up" the stores where packed with people.  Most weren't wearing a mask.  I wasn't simply because before that, the stores were ghost towns during the week.  There was no need for one.  I didn't talk to anyone and got in and got out.  Now, with all the craziness around us, we basically go NOWHERE on weekends.  We make all our trips during the week now and still have to wear masks because of all the people.  

Brazil's positive rate is through the roof compared to other countries.  What are they doing down there - swabbing noses just before they zip up the body bag?

The president is actively working against any containment strategy employed by the states. So, a bit like the US, on steroids

38 minutes ago, Hooper31 said:

I believe our national response to this is a monstrous over-reaction. Again, I don't think it will evolve well here. I took it to the sub-forum. 

I'm not sure what "national response" you are referring too.  The decision making was punted to the states.  For that, I really am thankful...it sounds like some states have some miserable rules going on.  If you're referring to the "guidelines", I suspect you're correct when you say they won't evolve well....but I fail to see how they were a monstrous over-reaction. 

56 minutes ago, timschochet said:

if you haven’t countered, i would think of one.  rates are low and i don’t see how the market is affected.  remember, you must have monthly carrying costs that will require paying.  i look at this as a rear view mirror type thing.  you want to sell, it’s found money....get a good price and move along, put it in the rear view mirror, so to speak.  the offer is about a 17% discount.  what do you want to get?  work your counter with that in mind....

• Like 1

Here in CT I just had 2 sets of friends.  One pair were buying, and one were selling.  The sellers sold for full price in 2 days, and the buyers also paid full price for their home.

Market in southwestern CT is fairly hot.  Lots of folks trying to escape NYC.  Goes back to the previous point that real estate tends to be local.

18 minutes ago, The Commish said:

If you're referring to the "guidelines", I suspect you're correct when you say they won't evolve well....but I fail to see how they were a monstrous over-reaction. 

Are any states actually following them?

54 minutes ago, msommer said:

Are any states actually following them?

ha...depends on how twisted you want to get yourself trying to interpret them.  The most common sense, straightforward interpretation, I'd say probably 20-25%?

2 hours ago, Hooper31 said:

Are you saying the overreaction is based on the fact that most people who aren't old fogies with health issues aren't dying?  I know I put it bluntly.

8 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:

Dude. 

Oops I did 103/2 for some reason. Total brain fart.

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

Sorry about your loss.

Tim here is the deal---you tell your family what the house is worth. Give them high value and low value. Tell them you would will be happy to take the low ball offer you have received, but you are taking the cut as if it sold at high value and since they are so inpatient, they get the cut of the low ball offer. Sounds like you are doing all the legwork, so you make the call. If they want the money so bad, they can take the scraps that are left and you get paid for your efforts. Win/win

2 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

I plan to manufacture a line of “tricky toasters.” No one can tell me to adhere to electrical standards. 

5 hours ago, Rohn Jambo said:

I feel my only defense against CV is Siraitia Grosvenorii at this point but my supply is running low.

It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

I’m guessing the market for multi-million dollar homes in Huntington will bounce back. Looking at a curve of the population, I’d posit that the top 5% has been as a class has been largely unaffected by COVID. Top 2% has probably benefited. As usual, the middle class and below is where the I’ll effects will be felt. The $650k house in West Covina may be slow to recover. I think Huntington will snap back.

3 hours ago, kutta said:

Wow! That’s nuts!

Dallas very quiet, not dead.

Masks at Laguardia...nearly 100%

Masks at DFW....maybe 25%

Sitting at Cousin's BBQ.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2020 at 2:12 AM, parasaurolophus said:

Here, we evaluated the Abbott SARS-CoV-2 IgG test for detection of anti-SARS-CoV-2 IgG antibodies by testing 3 distinct patient populations. We tested 1,020 serum specimens collected prior to SARS-CoV-2 circulation in the United States and found one false positive, indicating a specificity of 99.90%. We tested 125 patients who tested RT-PCR positive for SARS-CoV-2 for which 689 excess serum specimens were available and found sensitivity reached 100% at day 17 after symptom onset and day 13 after PCR positivity. 

That’s great external validation of Abbott’s assay - good to know it's highly sensitive and specific. That isn’t the same as testing actual patients, applying Bayes' theorem to determine the positive predictive value of the test in an area with low disease prevalence. 

While both are useful pieces of information, my post is more relevant to an individual interpreting their antibody test results in the post-COVID world.

Edited by Terminalxylem

Posted (edited)

Man on the streets report:  spending the weekend in Saint Augustine Beach.  The beach itself has been as expected, people but not wildly crowded.  The restaurants, that we had every intention of ordering to go from, act as though social distancing is simply a phrase, no meaning.  I should clarify, the restaurants look like they’re trying to adhere to whatever state/county guidelines exist for in house dining, but everyone just pops a squat in monster clusters outside waiting for one of those precious tables to open up.  It’s crazy.  Downtown old city we wore our masks on the trolley tour.  The company “forced” you to wear one and provided you with if didn’t have upon arrival.  Once the trolley left the staging area everyone pulled theirs off; except the wife, kiddo, and I 

Things aren’t back to normal, but people are doing their best to act like it is

Edited by That one guy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shader said:

You may in fact have the constitutional right to congregate.  Doesn’t make it any less dangerous and doesn’t mean it’s a loving decision to make for the congregation.

You don't seem to be acknowledging that they are following all cdc guidlines.

San Antonio TX report:

Restaurants 50%, bars open, neighborhood pool open... damn near everything open.  Roads are busier.

Got together with our best friend couple at a restaurant/bar lastnight and had a blast.  Bar area packed, except you weren't allowed to actually sit at the bar - just the bar tops.  Restaurant area on a 2 hour wait.

Tennis lessons started up last week, basketball training starts back up next week.

Feels good.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheWinz said:

My dads house in Connecticut sold in 2 days also.  Closing is Friday.  It was empty so don’t know if that played a role.  Had 9 showings.  

Some lobster food truck was in one of our shopping center parking lots today.

I'd say 95% of the people had masks and were standing in line 6ft from one another. (~20 people)

The people not wearing masks were still keeping distance

I've been walking a lot of local nature trails with my wife and kids lately.  Over 50% of people we pass on the trails have masks on, which I just don't get.  We're out in nature, closest you get to another human is occasionally passing someone going the opposite way on a narrow part of a trail where it's hard to move aside and you're maybe within six feet of each other for a second or two.  Almost makes me feel bad, like we should be wearing them too, but that seems ridiculous and defeats the whole purpose of getting out there to me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

I've been walking a lot of local nature trails with my wife and kids lately.  Over 50% of people we pass on the trails have masks on, which I just don't get.  We're out in nature, closest you get to another human is occasionally passing someone going the opposite way on a narrow part of a trail where it's hard to move aside and you're maybe within six feet of each other for a second or two.  Almost makes me feel bad, like we should be wearing them too, but that seems ridiculous and defeats the whole purpose of getting out there to me.  

I’ve been hiking a lot, too. I bring a mask in case I get held up in a congested area, but choose trails where this hasn’t been an issue.

Regardless, I don’t think the risk is particularly high.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

Karens on our town local FB page were going bananas about people out jogging and not wearing masks. Really?

People are loonies. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m torn between this was a big deal and we navigated it as well as we could have, and we overreacted a little. Not sure how I feel or what to believe. 

NYC suburb and there are more cars on the road but nothing really opened yet. Liquor store, hardware store and supermarket today, all masks mandatory, and people wait 6 feet apart in line. 

Extended family debating a backyard cookout with my folks, my family, and my siblings and their families, where the adults all social distance and we try our best with the kids (some young ones though, pretty sure it won’t happen). We’ve all been quarantined for months. I think it’s totally fine and will encourage, but some here still on the fence. Likely we’ll do it. May even BYO drinks and snacks to make it extra safe. 

9 minutes ago, Otis said:

I’m torn between this was a big deal and we navigated it as well as we could have, and we overreacted a little. Not sure how I feel or what to believe. 

NYC suburb and there are more cars on the road but nothing really opened yet. Liquor store, hardware store and supermarket today, all masks mandatory, and people wait 6 feet apart in line. 

Extended family debating a backyard cookout with my folks, my family, and my siblings and their families, where the adults all social distance and we try our best with the kids (some young ones though, pretty sure it won’t happen). We’ve all been quarantined for months. I think it’s totally fine and will encourage, but some here still on the fence. Likely we’ll do it. May even BYO drinks and snacks to make it extra safe. 

100k dead in this country alone. How could anyone feel torn?

4 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

I have a suspicion that the worst is in front of us.

Just this page is enough to see that that is true.

Went on about a three mile walk down to our little "downtown." I'd estimate 65% were masked. Most people kept their distance since we were pushing a stroller, but a huge #### YOU to the family that wouldn't move off the sidewalk forcing us to squeeze by them. :angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That one guy said:

Man on the streets report:  spending the weekend in Saint Augustine Beach.  The beach itself has been as expected, people but not wildly crowded.  The restaurants, that we had every intention of ordering to go from, act as though social distancing is simply a phrase, no meaning.  I should clarify, the restaurants look like they’re trying to adhere to whatever state/county guidelines exist for in house dining, but everyone just pops a squat in monster clusters outside waiting for one of those precious tables to open up.  It’s crazy.  Downtown old city we wore our masks on the trolley tour.  The company “forced” you to wear one and provided you with if didn’t have upon arrival.  Once the trolley left the staging area everyone pulled theirs off; except the wife, kiddo, and I 

Things aren’t back to normal, but people are doing their best to act like it is

I have a friend who is going down there for 3 days. Sounds like a good choice as he is very agaisnt any restrictions or shutdowns.

Have another friend that was sending pictures from a house in Kiawah he has been going to with other people on the weekends for a bit now. It looks like there are at least 20 people at a relatively small pool.  Should be mostly OK as it is primarily younger guys and girls, but some people in their 50s and one guy I know is in his 70s.

We are just not taking this seriously enough. The fall is going to be rough if we don't get a vaccine first...

Talked about already, but of Covid  worldometers report,  just shy of 100K new cases today, half are from the US, Brazil, and Russia.

3 hours ago, jobarules said:

Oops I did 103/2 for some reason. Total brain fart.

I was told there would be no math

• Like 1