What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (26 Viewers)

Massages can start on the 19th here. Mandatory face coverings the whole time plus a bunch of other rules. I get it - but no thanks. hard to breathe face down anyway let alone suffocating with a mask. I used to go every 2 weeks. Not traveling so body is not getting messed up as much so I’ll just wait for a vaccine I guess
It’s not that bad.  Had one a few weeks ago and did just fine and I hate breathing through masks. It had been just over 3 months since my last one (I’m an every 6-8 weeker) and it felts amazing. 

Massages can start on the 19th here. Mandatory face coverings the whole time plus a bunch of other rules. I get it - but no thanks. hard to breathe face down anyway let alone suffocating with a mask. I used to go every 2 weeks. Not traveling so body is not getting messed up as much so I’ll just wait for a vaccine I guess
Kraft says you're doing it wrong. 

Following up on what meanmachine and shader wrote ... I haven't seen where this particular information about COVID-19 has changed at all in the last 2 1/2 months.
Yeah I didn’t mean To imply that this was necessarily new info.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinical-guidance-management-patients.html

The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset.1-3 One study reported that 97.5% of persons with COVID-19 who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection.3

The calm before the storm in Connecticut?  Phase 2 begins tomorrow, with such things as indoor dining, gyms and fitness studios, nail salons, bowling alleys, libraries, spas, tattoo parlors, and theaters.  As of today:

- Current 10 day total of 166 deaths is lowest since 27 March thru 5 April, when we went from 21 to 189 deaths.  Today's death count for the entire state of Connecticut - 3

- 203 hospitalizations - haven't been this low since 27 March.  Only once in the past 43 days has there been a daily increase, and that was by a mere 5 on 25 May.

- 2.36% positive cases in last 7 days.  14 straight days under 4%, which hasn't happened since the virus began.

I was gonna provide numbers from the Rt Live website, but decided instead to bash their numbers in my next post.  Hard to praise CT's numbers, then rag on the website providing them.

Rt Live sucks balls!

Can someone explain to me how a state can go from best for 6 straight weeks, to being horrible for that same 6 week period?  Yesterday, Hawaii was on the far left of the chart at every single interval, and now, they have been in the red 6 weeks in a row?  At this point, I don't believe any data on the website, and the only reason I even go there is to get a warm fuzzy that my state is low.

Rt Live sucks balls!

Can someone explain to me how a state can go from best for 6 straight weeks, to being horrible for that same 6 week period?  Yesterday, Hawaii was on the far left of the chart at every single interval, and now, they have been in the red 6 weeks in a row?  At this point, I don't believe any data on the website, and the only reason I even go there is to get a warm fuzzy that my state is low.
We went from 0-3 cases daily for several weeks, and suddenly we’ve had 7, 14 and 17 the last few days. We also had our first case in a nursing home resident. 

When you start with so few cases, a blip like that will change Rt in a hurry, but notice the range of the bar (confidence interval) is really wide.

Also, if anyone plans on visiting HI, understand we’re taking the quarantine period much more seriously than places like Florida. We shipped a few people back for violating it, and fines are being given. And let’s be honest, the beaches on the Caribbean are a lot nicer, and who wants to endure such a long flight, amiright?

We went from 0-3 cases daily for several weeks, and suddenly we’ve had 7, 14 and 17 the last few days. We also had our first case in a nursing home resident. 

When you start with so few cases, a blip like that will change Rt in a hurry, but notice the range of the bar (confidence interval) is really wide.

Also, if anyone plans on visiting HI, understand we’re taking the quarantine period much more seriously than places like Florida. We shipped a few people back for violating it, and fines are being given. And let’s be honest, the beaches on the Caribbean are a lot nicer, and who wants to endure such a long flight, amiright?
Plus Hawaii is full of Americans... I’d rather vacation where the people at least can pretend that they are happy that I am there.

I can buy Hawaii going from being the best state on Rt Live to the worst state overnight, but that does not change the data from 6 weeks ago.  For example, if I look on the website on 14 June, and it says Hawaii's Rt number was .70 on 1 May, shouldn't that number be the same on 15 June?

I can buy Hawaii going from being the best state on Rt Live to the worst state overnight, but that does not change the data from 6 weeks ago.  For example, if I look on the website on 14 June, and it says Hawaii's Rt number was .70 on 1 May, shouldn't that number be the same on 15 June?
I've noticed similar moves too.  I presume its because Rt is backwards looking statistic, and the data is continually re-evaluated as more data is fed into the model, especially given 11 days between exposure and onset of symptoms.

Someone from our company (works in a different department and spends most of his time working out of the office) just tested positive.  A guy that spent 2 weeks unmasked in a car with him tested negative.  Not sure you can get more exposed than the guy that tested negative.  Are some people just not ever going to get it?

Someone from our company (works in a different department and spends most of his time working out of the office) just tested positive.  A guy that spent 2 weeks unmasked in a car with him tested negative.  Not sure you can get more exposed than the guy that tested negative.  Are some people just not ever going to get it?
unbreakable 

Once you have it and recover, will you always test positive?

Dr. Fauci now admits that the government openly lied about the benefit of mask use early in the pandemic.

So, why weren't we told to wear masks in the beginning?

"Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."
https://www.thestreet.com/video/dr-fauci-masks-changing-directive-coronavirus

I hope all the extra deaths and the demolition of the credibility of "public health experts" was worth it.

unbreakable 
I saw one article that said researchers noticed blood types matter. Type O is less likely to get infected from exposure and type A is more likely to get hospitalized if they develop an infection. That was all the info the clickbait article gave. 

Are you asking if the guy that tested negative previously had it?  I wouldn't know and neither would he.  Could be.  I don't think he had an antibody test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Fauci now admits that the government openly lied about the benefit of mask use early in the pandemic.

I hope all the extra deaths and the demolition of the credibility of "public health experts" was worth it.
We all suspected that was the case and was mentioned by several posters in this thread. I respect Fauci for setting the record straight. I wish the lie wasn't needed to try and get supplies where they were needed most. The failure of the USA to try and get ahead of this virus before we had a pandemic on our soil is truly disgusting. 

Are you asking if the guy that tested negative previously had it?  I wouldn't know and neither would he.  Could be.  I don't think he had an antibody test.
Some tests are looking for active infections and some are looking for antibodies from a previous infection. We aren't sure how long a person still has detectable antibodies for SARS-CoV-2. My guess would be a year or two.

We all suspected that was the case and was mentioned by several posters in this thread. I respect Fauci for setting the record straight. I wish the lie wasn't needed to try and get supplies where they were needed most. The failure of the USA to try and get ahead of this virus before we had a pandemic on our soil is truly disgusting. 
Didn't China hide the virus and start stockpiling PPE before we even knew this was a pandemic?

I saw one article that said researchers noticed blood types matter. Type O is less likely to get infected from exposure and type A is more likely to get hospitalized if they develop an infection. That was all the info the clickbait article gave. 
There's been corroboration for these kinds of findings for a few months now.

weird right.    Have a friend that works at a print shop, positive test there from a guy a couple weeks ago and no one else in the shop got it.   And they are passing around job tickets, eating in the breakroom, no masks while working, ect ect, had all kinds of exposure to him.

Our shortage of PPE was due to China
Our shortage was due to disbanding the pandemic response team and refusing to stockpile ppe before there was a need and a when there was a plentiful supply. We were also continuing to export supplies while the pandemic was growing on our shores. DISGUSTING 

I think we have seen how reluctant a large percentage of the US population is to wearing masks. I am unsure how different it would be if Fauci says "wear a mask" from the beginnning.

I think we have seen how reluctant a large percentage of the US population is to wearing masks. I am unsure how different it would be if Fauci says "wear a mask" from the beginnning.
I think the big problem here is how do you expect people to know which recommendations to believe and follow?  If it’s changing theories or recommendations based on new evidence then that’s one thing but to imply or even say they didn’t tell the truth because they were worried about running out of supplies is worrisome.  

Also, to play Devils advocate here but the don’t need masks did have two elements to it that were at least still mostly true:

- you don’t need a N95 masks - just a face covering will help

- if you are SIP and social distancing that is still better than not doing those and wearing a mask

I still think Fauci has been excellent overall - I think the man saved lives.

I disagree wholeheartedly with that
You need to look outside your NYC bubble. There are huge swaths of this country that are not wearing masks at all. They view it as an infringement on their rights. If the gov't recommended it in March, color me skeptical that they would follow 

To this end, I hope I am in this boat.  I've shared the debacle of my wife's experience.  Her test was inconclusive, then got a letter saying they didn't have confidence in the test, so she went for antibody test and it came back positive.  Then we got a letter saying they weren't confident in that test result either.  So we've just stopped trying to figure it out for now.  All that is to say, I never got a single symptom and we didn't go out of our way to avoid each other.  We just kept her away from the kids.  I'd love to find out I had the antibodies at some point and didn't have any issues along the way.  I don't see the point in getting tested at this point.  I've never had a symptom and I stay in my house most of the time anyway.

Our shortage of PPE was due to China
Our government has mechanisms in place that they can use to force our companies to address our country first.  We have a shortage because all the states were competing with other countries and the federal government for resources.  That shouldn't happen.  We have plenty of capacity to create that PPE for our country.  I'll leave it there...trying to stay away from it becoming political.

I don't think there is any question that there is always going to be that "Gubment ain't gonna tell me what I can/can't wear" group in this country...regardless of who the leadership is.  They are a given.  There's another significant portion of the people who will follow "their side" in blind loyalty.  If we had a consistent, nonpartisan message across the GOP and Dem leadership at the national level, I am confident more people would have listened leaving those who I mention here as the only ones not doing the needful.  One of the more fascinating things of this whole fiasco for me was watching the politicization of wearing masks.  I mean really?!?!?!  Can't make this stuff up.  

No one knew the name Fauci before this virus, and I doubt we would know his name if he had been steadfast from the beginning, because he most certainly would've been gagged.

Users who are viewing this thread