What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (14 Viewers)

According to Worldometer, some states are doing much better than others when it comes to deaths vs positives.  Here are the top 10 worst & best states:

1 - Connecticut - 9.28%                        50 - Utah - 0.97%
2 - Michigan - 9.11%                             49 - South Dakota - 1.29%
3 - New York - 7.64%                            48 - Nebraska - 1.36%
4 - Pennsylvania - 7.55%                     47 - Arkansas - 1.43%
5 - New Jersey - 7.54%                        46 - Tennessee - 1.55%
6 - Massachusetts - 7.24%                 45 - Wyoming - 1.65%
7 - Louisiana - 6.39%                           44 - Alaska - 1.78%
8 - Ohio - 6.19%                                    43 - Texas - 2.15%
9 - New Hampshire - 6.08%                42 - Kansas - 2.15%
10 - Indiana - 6.00%                             41 - Hawaii - 2.30%

Is the virus more deadly on the east coast versus the rest of the US?
Are some states just doing a bad job protecting their elderly?
Are east coasters out of shape compared to the rest?
Are the higher percentage states testing a larger portion of their elderly/at risk?

I just find it hard to believe you are 10 times more likely to die if infected in CT as you are in UT.  The states are pretty similar in amount tested (#'s 9 & 14 overall), so what gives?
Yes. There were studies released a couple of months ago that found CV had mutated. The strain most common on the East Coast had come from Europe and was much deadlier while the West Coast primarily had the original strain from China. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been something that's always bothered me about the "it doesn't affect children all that much" narrative.  I don't know how we'd even know that with any sort of confidence given the fact we've basically had our children on lockdown since March.  It's probably true that once they get it, it will impact them similar to the flu and I'm not really concerned about my kids from a mortality perspective.  The larger concern is opening up this avenue of spread.
They are also far more likely to be left as a probable positive and not get tested. The parent of two kids at our preschool tested positive but the kids were never tested, just quarantined. I’m guessing that’s a common response if they don’t show symptoms.

This has been something that's always bothered me about the "it doesn't affect children all that much" narrative.  I don't know how we'd even know that with any sort of confidence given the fact we've basically had our children on lockdown since March.  It's probably true that once they get it, it will impact them similar to the flu and I'm not really concerned about my kids from a mortality perspective.  The larger concern is opening up this avenue of spread.
Also there obviously have been no longitudinal studies so there very well may be issues that we can't even be aware of yet. 

Yes. There were studies released a couple of months ago that found CV had mutated. The strain most common on the East Coast had come from Europe and was much deadlier while the West Coast primarily had the original strain from China. 
Don't think this held up on review.  

[scooter] said:
Again, that's not the same as saying that masks don't help. In fact, that transcript has an even stronger endorsement for mask usage than what they officially published in their guidelines at the time.

If you want to argue that the CDC should have done more to promote mask usage, I agree with you. Just don't claim that the government said "masks don't help", because A) they never said that, and B) their own guidelines contradict that claim.
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1233134710638825473

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-us-surgeon-general-asks-cdc-to-see-if-face-masks-are-effective.html

the surgeon general of the US tweeted for people to stop buying masks because they weren't effective at protecting the public from the virus, and the CDC repeatedly said if you weren't sick or a healthcare worker, you didn't need to wear a mask.

you can argue semantics of the wording all you want, but the message that was conveyed to Americans was that masks weren't going to do anything to help keep the general population from catching the virus. 

but like others have said, this was discussed ad nauseum earlier and I have no desire to go through that again.

According to Worldometer, some states are doing much better than others when it comes to deaths vs positives.  Here are the top 10 worst & best states:

Are the higher percentage states testing a larger portion of their elderly/at risk?

I just find it hard to believe you are 10 times more likely to die if infected in CT as you are in UT.  The states are pretty similar in amount tested (#'s 9 & 14 overall), so what gives?
I think it's more likely to do with population density and testing strategy.

I tend to agree with you on this one.  If what @CR69 said was true, it would be hard to explain why Washington had 33 other states with a better death v positive percentage.  I have mapped out all the percentages, and there are too many anomalies for this east and west getting 2 different strains theory.

Tampa Bay Area health officials warning of re-closures.

Deaths continue to trend down, in line with the numbers on June 4. Hospital bed capacity also stays at a safe level, they said. On June 4, the county was seeing a downward trend of hospitalizations. 

During Monday’s meeting, Holt and Wagner said hospital capacity has stayed between 75 to 78 percent. The decrease in deaths may be partially because case numbers slant younger. Over the last 14 days, 50 percent of cases were between the 0 to 34 age group, with a majority in the 25 to 34 group, specifically. Holt also gave credit to hospital staff learning how to treat the illness as another factor in deaths dropping.

It isn't "children."  Bolded 25 to 34.  We didn't spike like this after the initial phase 1 on May 4th.  This big spike is coming from bars re-opening. 

the moops said:
Look at how many ICU beds AZ has, and then tell me whether you think one is no big deal
There is a major disconnect regarding the implications of hospitals handling COVID surges. Even if they aren't at 100% capacity, it takes a lot of effort to care for these patients. While the actual medical interventions are straightforward, there are extra calls to family (who can't visit) and research staff to enroll in clinical trials, extra time donning/doffing PPE, delays/limitations in services offered to lessen exposure risk to ancillary personnel, and barriers to hospital discharge which don't exist for patients without highly contagious infections.

As a result, providers will become overwhelmed well before all the beds are used up. And this ignores the calculus of staffing and provision of ventilators, ECMO, etc. for the sickest patients. At least we have enough PPE ATM, though it's non inconceivable supplies could run short if surges are prolonged.

It's infuriating that people think these problems are solved by isolating at risk groups and opening up a few field hospitals. It's far more complex, especially when you consider the logistics of transferring patients from regional hotspots when capacity is exceeded or a higher level of care is necessary.

Hospitalization rates remain between 10-20% for symptomatic adults with COVID-19. While risk of death is relatively low for those without comorbidities/non-elderly, most of the above factors complicating care still apply to anyone requiring a hospital stay. We don't need to get to the point patients are denied ventilators or refrigerated trucks are summoned to stack the bodies to exhaust healthcare workers and place non-covid patients at risk. 

People please, please stop fixating on death rates, how many people are sick in nursing homes, mixed messages from public health officials, and all the political BS, and try and do your best not to add to the problem - wash your hands and pay attention to cough hygiene, wear a mask in public, be mindful of spacing and minimize group interactions. It's not convenient or pleasant, but society can still function pretty well with all these measures in place, and we can avoid blowing up our healthcare system.

FTR, I say all this as a healthcare provider in one of the states handling covid the best. But it's easy to see how tenuous the situation is and learn from what's been done around the world to reign in the pandemic.

If my kid didn't have asthma id be a little less worried.  Asthma won't make you more likely to catch it but catching it with asthma makes the virus worse

Tampa Bay Area health officials warning of re-closures.

Deaths continue to trend down, in line with the numbers on June 4. Hospital bed capacity also stays at a safe level, they said. On June 4, the county was seeing a downward trend of hospitalizations. 

During Monday’s meeting, Holt and Wagner said hospital capacity has stayed between 75 to 78 percent. The decrease in deaths may be partially because case numbers slant younger. Over the last 14 days, 50 percent of cases were between the 0 to 34 age group, with a majority in the 25 to 34 group, specifically. Holt also gave credit to hospital staff learning how to treat the illness as another factor in deaths dropping.

It isn't "children."  Bolded 25 to 34.  We didn't spike like this after the initial phase 1 on May 4th.  This big spike is coming from bars re-opening. 
Sorry.  My comment was more of a "in addition to this" comment...I didn't mean to suggest that gump was talking specifically about children.  The narrative I laid out above is very prevalent around me and it seems pretty flimsy/weak.

This seems to be true for Arizona as well.

There is a major disconnect regarding the implications of hospitals handling COVID surges. Even if they aren't at 100% capacity, it takes a lot of effort to care for these patients. While the actual medical interventions are straightforward, there are extra calls to family (who can't visit) and research staff to enroll in clinical trials, extra time donning/doffing PPE, delays/limitations in services offered to lessen exposure risk to ancillary personnel, and barriers to hospital discharge which don't exist for patients without highly contagious infections.

As a result, providers will become overwhelmed well before all the beds are used up. And this ignores the calculus of staffing and provision of ventilators, ECMO, etc. for the sickest patients. At least we have enough PPE ATM, though it's non inconceivable supplies could run short if surges are prolonged.

It's infuriating that people think these problems are solved by isolating at risk groups and opening up a few field hospitals. It's far more complex, especially when you consider the logistics of transferring patients from regional hotspots when capacity is exceeded or a higher level of care is necessary.

Hospitalization rates remain between 10-20% for symptomatic adults with COVID-19. While risk of death is relatively low for those without comorbidities/non-elderly, most of the above factors complicating care still apply to anyone requiring a hospital stay. We don't need to get to the point patients are denied ventilators or refrigerated trucks are summoned to stack the bodies to exhaust healthcare workers and place non-covid patients at risk. 

People please, please stop fixating on death rates, how many people are sick in nursing homes, mixed messages from public health officials, and all the political BS, and try and do your best not to add to the problem - wash your hands and pay attention to cough hygiene, wear a mask in public, be mindful of spacing and minimize group interactions. It's not convenient or pleasant, but society can still function pretty well with all these measures in place, and we can avoid blowing up our healthcare system.

FTR, I say all this as a healthcare provider in one of the states handling covid the best. But it's easy to see how tenuous the situation is and learn from what's been done around the world to reign in the pandemic.
Agreed. You have my back on that, and hopefully the backing of the vast majority of people.

I see people complain about masks and "their rights" and I truly hope that's a vocal minority.

Just did a quick search and the only thing I can find are articles referencing this in April and May but nothing since to see it was disproven. Where did you see that this theory didn't hold up?

To me, this looks a lot like a list of "early" states  and a list of "late" states. Nothing much more than that.

How about that the virus was spreading around unsanitary children from Dec-Mar and less kids died from COVID than the flu?   If anybody seriously thinks this virus impacts children at this point, they don’t really care to understand anything about it.

How about that the virus was spreading around unsanitary children from Dec-Mar and less kids died from COVID than the flu?   If anybody seriously thinks this virus impacts children at this point, they don’t really care to understand anything about it.
Like this guy?

Fauci warned against believing children are immune to coronavirus, citing new cases where some children have developed a mysterious inflammatory syndrome that could be linked to the virus.

Might want to actually read the posts you are replying to...just a suggestion :shrug:  

Just did a quick search and the only thing I can find are articles referencing this in April and May but nothing since to see it was disproven. Where did you see that this theory didn't hold up?
There is a nearly constant news stream on this virus.  I'm remembering that this particular news element didn't pan out though have no idea when that came to pass or with what logic.  

The death rate seems to correspond only with how old, fat, or black you are and proportionally how hard hit those areas are in any one state.  

Seeing some updates in the last few minutes that DeSantis blew the details this one and that of the 500 new tests, only 2 are positive.  The 260 positives are going back to March and include people who aren't airport employees.
Would be great to see accurate statistics because that is a really good number if it's true.

FL should be doing like 50K tests a day, with large sample sizes in key regions and within key regions. Florida has like 5 regions in their state.

Seeing some updates in the last few minutes that DeSantis blew the details this one and that of the 500 new tests, only 2 are positive.  The 260 positives are going back to March and include people who aren't airport employees.
sure hope that's right.

Another one that has no idea whatsoever of why face coverings are recommended:

"It's not for you, Aubrey Huff."

"Cancer surgeon here. Wearing a mask isn’t about me be weak and afraid - it is about protecting my patient. That same patient who needs to pick up their meds after surgery and runs in to you. I remember when manhood was about protecting the people around you."

Fauci has been wrong about everything

could be linked  :lmao:   Do better and provide actual evidence.  

maybe COVID causes cancer too
Where do you derive COVID information you can trust? 

And read up on Koch’s postulates, then contemplate the logistics of definitively proving SARS-CoV-2 causes MIS-C. 

the moops said:
Look at how many ICU beds AZ has, and then tell me whether you think one is no big deal
It’s not a big deal.

Perhaps you should look at % capacities prior to COVID

They can easily create more capacity

Patients are being hospitalized for longer stays because hospitals are going bankrupt and need the money.  The virus hasn’t changed.

It’s not a big deal.

Perhaps you should look at % capacities prior to COVID

They can easily create more capacity

Patients are being hospitalized for longer stays because hospitals are going bankrupt and need the money.  The virus hasn’t changed.
Please elaborate. Include the credentials which qualify you to determine what does and doesn’t constitute a “big deal” for hospitals.

Where do you derive COVID information you can trust? 

And read up on Koch’s postulates and contemplate the logistics of definitively proving SARS-CoV-2 causes MIS-C. 
No proof.  Thanks for confirming nobody should worry about a rare disease that hasn’t been definitely linked to COVID 👍

Please elaborate. Include the credentials which qualify you to determine what does and doesn’t constitute a “big deal” for hospitals.
Not that I agree with him, but there are PLENTY of folks - many in this thread - that don't have any kind of "credentials" at all and they're making all sorts of sweeping statements too.

A lot of people state “the virus has mutated” as if this is alarming. But RNA viruses pretty much always change. It’s always been my understanding SARS-Cov 2 mutates at least 1/2 as slowly as seasonal flu; haven’t seen anything to indicate otherwise.

From a few months ago. Pretty good baseline info on DNA sequencing, RNA, how can’t directly the RNA sequence but we can reverse transcribe the RNA of the virus which can then be sequenced.

Because it mutates slowly it is believed when a vaccine completes phase 3 trials it should be good for a couple years. Seasonal flu mutates more rapidly & we need a new vaccine pretty much every year.

Your credentials aren’t better than mine.  🤷‍♂️

I know you are trying to help, but you are only making things worse.  

Here’s a quote for you:

“We are well managed to prepare for an increase in patient volume”

This is due to failure to test early on.   Basically no testing in NY state in the beginning and I know people admitted to the hospital for Covid that were never tested since they didn't have enough testing.  

Not that I agree with him, but there are PLENTY of folks - many in this thread - that don't have any kind of "credentials" at all and they're making all sorts of sweeping statements too.
Fair enough. I don’t expect a medical degree, but a supportive link every now and then would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread