What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (13 Viewers)

Every time I see a report that cites a specific number of positive cases, but leaves off the amount of tests, I want to give them a high five for great reporting.

Based on Florida's COVID page and Worldometer, there were 3822 positives out of 18866 tests, for a rate of 20.3%, but I highly doubt that.
I saw some info on twitter and I actually think they did say Florida’s positives have grown despite overall testing going down. It seems like the idea that positives are only up because testing is up doesn’t gel with the actual numbers from most States.

I'm not anxious or nervous at all. Though I don't consider myself a thrill-seeker, I've participated in activities some may consider crazy - mountaineering, backcountry skiing, canyoneering, big wall and ice climbing. Just today I climbed a two tier cliff at least 100 feet tall. But those are calculated risks I accept. If something goes wrong, I'm only putting my partner and potential rescuers in jeopardy.

COVID is different. Although healthcare workers are at higher risk than the general population, I'm not concerned I'll get infected. But I don't want to make other people sick, especially for something as inconsequential as a night on the town, discretionary shopping, parties, concerts, sporting events, going to the gym, getting a massage, etc. There are plenty of other enjoyable, lower risk activities available - all you have to do is avoid crowds and/or close contact. Heck, if people expand their horizons, they might even discover something new, and enrich their lives without endangering the health of others.

This isn't going to last forever. It's not about living in fear; it's being willing to make some collective sacrifices for the vulnerable members of our population.
Don't think I singled you out, so probably not the type of person I am referring to.  

Sorry if this has been posted already but it appears that on iPhone and Android phones - updates have been installed to allow COVID-19 exposure logging and tracking (it isn’t automatically turned on but you can turn it on yourself),

For iPhone - go to ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Health‘ and it’s right there - ‘COVID-19 Exposure Tracking’.
It's under privacy on the iPhone, and needs to sync with a special app that you need to install.

I haven’t been anywhere indoors since March 12th where 99% of the people weren’t wearing masks. Is that not the case in other places? Whitmer took a lot of heat for how aggressive she was but right now Michigan appears to be in the best situation of any State in the country after being in terrible shape in April.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t been anywhere indoors since March 12th where 99% of the people were wearing masks. Is that not the case in other places? Whitmer took a lot of heat for how aggressive she was but right now Michigan appears to be in the best situation of any State in the country after being in terrible shape in April.
Yep. I changed my stance on her. I thought going late May or early June was a mistake. Now, maybe, it wasn't long enough. 

Stay safe

Yep. I changed my stance on her. I thought going late May or early June was a mistake. Now, maybe, it wasn't long enough. 

Stay safe
Yep, took a serious pair of balls to not cave in and stick with the plan of  trusting the experts. Especially in Michigan where we have a large population of people who are extremely distrustful of the government. 

Stay safe
Yep, took a serious pair of balls to not cave in and stick with the plan of  trusting the experts. Especially in Michigan where we have a large population of people who are extremely distrustful of the government. 
Just please take this opportunity to fix the damn roads...

No, Arizona recent numbers are all younger folks that are infected but very low risk.  
Hopefully those young people stay quarantined and don’t come into contact with older folks or the general public. I think we are looking at a billion dollar shortfall in the school aid fund. 

My county in Florida just posted their back to school alternatives for August.  It's up to each parent to decide between 1.  Go back to school as normal, 2.  Homeschool program with check ins with teachers throughout the week, and 3. Online School with live classes daily so that parents aren't the ones teaching.  We'll probably go with the 3rd option although I've got to figure out how to get my son some socialization.  He's growing increasingly depressed without interaction with other kids.  

Are Arizona and Florida trying to have a race to be the next NYC? These numbers are horrible!
I went into a Bass Pro Shop in the Tampa area last week.  The place was packed and other than a handful of people wearing masks, you wouldn't have known there was a pandemic going on.  Trump and Desantis have their followers in 'just get back to your life, nothing to worry about here' mode.  

I went into a Bass Pro Shop in the Tampa area last week.  The place was packed and other than a handful of people wearing masks, you wouldn't have known there was a pandemic going on.  Trump and Desantis have their followers in 'just get back to your life, nothing to worry about here' mode.  
That’s insane to me 

If I go to Lowe’s, I see maybe 1 guy without a mask. It blows my mind that every State hasn’t figured out even the most simple ####. Incredible that we have politicized science to the point where people will trust a politician or an op-Ed piece over scientific and medical consensus. 

If I go to Lowe’s, I see maybe 1 guy without a mask. It blows my mind that every State hasn’t figured out even the most simple ####. Incredible that we have politicized science to the point where people will trust a politician or an op-Ed piece over scientific and medical consensus. 
Unfortunately we've reached a point in society where the only valid position is the opposite of what the other side says.  

The Ace Hardware by me has a "no mask, no entry" sign out front and the cashiers were making sure folks had them on as they entered the store.  Some guy was in the midst of putting his on as he walked in, and they were definitely checking to make sure.  Other places, like Wal-Mart and Target, are pretty close to 100% mask usage too.  

But then again, my local watering hole... you go in and there is, of course, zero mask usage... cuz how you gonna drink with a mask on?  I went in for a beer on Wednesday but was sitting a good 10' away from anyone else.  

Quite the dichotomy.  

Not at all surprising. I bet I could do the same at many places here in AZ. It’s just depressing.  Next will be the viral videos of people throwing a fit when they can’t enter businesses in cities with mask mandates.

I haven’t been anywhere indoors since March 12th where 99% of the people weren’t wearing masks. Is that not the case in other places? Whitmer took a lot of heat for how aggressive she was but right now Michigan appears to be in the best situation of any State in the country after being in terrible shape in April.
Wisconsin (at least Dane county) is 50% masks maybe slightly above 50%.  I assume the further North you go that percentage drops.  We're doing pretty well compared to most states. 

Wisconsin (at least Dane county) is 50% masks maybe slightly above 50%.  I assume the further North you go that percentage drops.  We're doing pretty well compared to most states. 
Yeah I’m in the suburbs of Detroit but I bet the further north and west I went, the less mask wearing I would see as well. 

On the good news front, Maryland has really done well with the numbers lately.

We were seeing 1000 new cases per day in May, with a positivity rate declining from 20% to 10% through that month.  1700 total beds and 600 ICU beds being used at the worst.

Our current 7-day positivity rate is 5.4%, and we are falling through 300 new cases per day.  Total in-use beds now 650, and ICU beds 260, so less than half the peak.

Why?  The big counties (MoCo and PG) were slow to reopen, and the populace is well-educated and seems cautious.  We'll see how we do going forward.  I think Florida and Arizona will sober a lot of people up in the next 30 days, assuming they go full blown.  Good luck all!

Unfortunately we've reached a point in society where the only valid position is the opposite of what the other side says.  
The anger is crazy too. The anti-mask crowd always seems so mad. We did locker clean out at the HS I work at. Everyone had to wear a mask and we asked everyone when they came in if they were feeling well and if they had been on an airplane in the last 2 weeks. Everyone was cool except 2 dads. Both were pissed saying the government just wants to control everything they do and warned their kids that the government is evil. I just don’t understand this crazy anger over us trying to keep our kids and families safe from a virus.

Wait, I thought you haven't been anywhere indoors since March 12th?  When did you go to Lowes?

The anger is crazy too. The anti-mask crowd always seems so mad. We did locker clean out at the HS I work at. Everyone had to wear a mask and we asked everyone when they came in if they were feeling well and if they had been on an airplane in the last 2 weeks. Everyone was cool except 2 dads. Both were pissed saying the government just wants to control everything they do and warned their kids that the government is evil. I just don’t understand this crazy anger over us trying to keep our kids and families safe from a virus.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/shawn-windsor/2020/06/18/aubrey-huff-san-francisco-giants-detroit-tigers-masks-twitter-coronavirus/3210517001/

Morons like this?

I'll admit, I haven't been a huge fan of our government the past few years, but I still trust that... as a whole... they are looking out for us the best they can.  So I would definitely say that I'm not "angry" in any way.  Seems like there is a chunk of our population that has a lot of anger, and not just towards mask usage and/or our government.

Wait, I thought you haven't been anywhere indoors since March 12th?  When did you go to Lowes?
Sorry maybe I worded that poorly. I havent been anywhere indoors where people weren’t in masks. I’ve been out but everywhere I go indoors, the people are wearing masks.

Yeah I’m in the suburbs of Detroit but I bet the further north and west I went, the less mask wearing I would see as well. 
I can confirm.  I live in Genesee County, my father who has emphysema and requires me to do his shopping and the like, lives in Lapeer County.  I was impressed initially, March/April, most were wearing masks.  Into May, as the mask issue suddenly became a political football, I saw the mask count decreasing in stores.  Now, I would say it's well below 50% when I do my dad's grocery shopping in Lapeer, and probably right around 50% for me in Genesee.  Thankfully, the store employees still appear to be 100%.

It's frustrating as hell.  People are definitely letting their guard down around here.

I can confirm.  I live in Genesee County, my father who has emphysema and requires me to do his shopping and the like, lives in Lapeer County.  I was impressed initially, March/April, most were wearing masks.  Into May, as the mask issue suddenly became a political football, I saw the mask count decreasing in stores.  Now, I would say it's well below 50% when I do my dad's grocery shopping in Lapeer, and probably right around 50% for me in Genesee.  Thankfully, the store employees still appear to be 100%.

It's frustrating as hell.  People are definitely letting their guard down around here.
My local Home Depot has 50% mask wearing BY THE EMPLOYEES.  I went 2 weekends ago and I swear the guy (sans mask) helping me with my plumbing question wanted to get right in my face.  He was uncomfortably close for non-pandemic times.  I had to keep backing up.

ETA - I think the first time I went to HD during this it was closer to 75% for the employees and 50% for customers.  As we opened up people took that to mean - no mask!

My local Home Depot has 50% mask wearing BY THE EMPLOYEES.  I went 2 weekends ago and I swear the guy (sans mask) helping me with my plumbing question wanted to get right in my face.  He was uncomfortably close for non-pandemic times.  I had to keep backing up.

ETA - I think the first time I went to HD during this it was closer to 75% for the employees and 50% for customers.  As we opened up people took that to mean - no mask!
That's just crazy to me.  I do my grocery shopping at Meijer, and I believe they have a company policy, at least in Michigan, that employees have to be masked.  The only other store I've been in since March is Menards, and from what I saw, every employee there had masks on as well.

This whole thing is absurd.  I agreed that as states like mine had "Flattened the curve", it was time to open back up.  I just didn't see the whole masks being a political statement thing coming.  It seems that we could be a lot more open if people would just make that small sacrifice.  It's a shame, because I'm certain that the lack of masks will slow business recovery, due to people not being willing to go into places due to it.  I know myself that I would be a lot more comfortable going into stores and restaurants if I knew there was 100% masking.

That's just crazy to me.  I do my grocery shopping at Meijer, and I believe they have a company policy, at least in Michigan, that employees have to be masked.  The only other store I've been in since March is Menards, and from what I saw, every employee there had masks on as well.

This whole thing is absurd.  I agreed that as states like mine had "Flattened the curve", it was time to open back up.  I just didn't see the whole masks being a political statement thing coming.  It seems that we could be a lot more open if people would just make that small sacrifice.  It's a shame, because I'm certain that the lack of masks will slow business recovery, due to people not being willing to go into places due to it.  I know myself that I would be a lot more comfortable going into stores and restaurants if I knew there was 100% masking.
You didn’t see it coming? You are a lot more optimistic than I am. It’s very clear at this point asking a certain segment of the county to make any kind of change is going to result in anger. It’s unfortunate but that’s where we are. 

I'll put my Connecticut up against your Michigan   :D

Not at all surprising. I bet I could do the same at many places here in AZ. It’s just depressing.  Next will be the viral videos of people throwing a fit when they can’t enter businesses in cities with mask mandates.
Plenty of these videos already.

Might want to hold your horses there.  Betting @Ilov80s would have an easier time getting tested than either of us.
Further proof CT is kicking ### and taking names.  I tried to set up an appointment to get tested, and the website turned me down, because I wasn't a high enough risk.  Makes you wonder, how has CT's positivity rate been only 2% the last few weeks when you basically have to be dead to get a test?

My county in Florida just posted their back to school alternatives for August.  It's up to each parent to decide between 1.  Go back to school as normal, 2.  Homeschool program with check ins with teachers throughout the week, and 3. Online School with live classes daily so that parents aren't the ones teaching.  We'll probably go with the 3rd option although I've got to figure out how to get my son some socialization.  He's growing increasingly depressed without interaction with other kids.  
Where in Florida are you CC?

Users who are viewing this thread