What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (11 Viewers)

I do not understand the reluctance to wearing masks.  I'm in Rochester, NY & our guidance is (has been) based off of NYC so, for the most part, it is mandatory masks in stores etc.  Almost everyone is very compliant so I'm pissed when I see the occasional outlier.  I see it as being disrespectful to everyone around you.  
Your head would explode if you were down here in Florida.  Sometimes I feel like an alien because I'm the only person wearing one. 

I was at an auto dealer the other day and not one employee wore them.  The salesman had the audacity to complain that people weren't taking the virus seriously enough...as he spoke to me less than six feet away without a mask.  

All customer facing businesses go back on mandatory masks Monday here. Can't fine the people that don't wear them because, according to Gov Abbott, liberty!!! But businesses can be fined.

Seriously, how did some of these people get elected? I guess we had no way of knowing they'd literally put party loyalty ahead of the lives of people.

I actually like wearing a mask. It's kind of an extension of my general preference to keep my germs to myself. I'm hoping it never fully goes away honestly.

I do not understand the reluctance to wearing masks.  I'm in Rochester, NY & our guidance is (has been) based off of NYC so, for the most part, it is mandatory masks in stores etc.  Almost everyone is very compliant so I'm pissed when I see the occasional outlier.  I see it as being disrespectful to everyone around you.  
Cuz this is ‘Merica and ain’t no one gonna tell me what to do. 

Thats the reason why cases in lots of other places are declining and ours are rising again. People get so bent out of shape when the government tells them they have to wear masks, their blinded by the benfits of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Maricopa county (Phoenix metro) approves a mask mandate tonight. Of course they had to put in a loophole for people to claim a medical condition prevents them from wearing one without having to provide proof.

Maricopa county (Phoenix metro) approves a mask mandate tonight. Of course they had to put in a loophole for people to claim a medical condition prevents them from wearing one without having to provide proof.
Does that mean I can simply tell the "bouncer" at the grocery store, and they have to let me in?  Or can a store still refuse my entry?

HI has 100% indoor mask usage and less than 1000 total cases, many of them imported.  While we’ve seen an uptick in cases the last few days, I think we’ve done an outstanding job.
Aloha, and welcome to the "my state rocks" contest.  Hawaii could've easily went the other way, so yes, they are certainly in the running.  You should hold your head high.  There is no shame finishing behind CT.  😉

All customer facing businesses go back on mandatory masks Monday here. Can't fine the people that don't wear them because, according to Gov Abbott, liberty!!! But businesses can be fined.

Seriously, how did some of these people get elected? I guess we had no way of knowing they'd literally put party loyalty ahead of the lives of people.
Isn't this just a twisted way to get to "no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service"?  Business owner:  "Yeah, I don't like it, but If you don't wear a mask here, I have to pay a fine, so put it on or don't come here".  Sure, it's spineless and completely political, but I guess it's better than nothing :shrug:  

Your head would explode if you were down here in Florida.  Sometimes I feel like an alien because I'm the only person wearing one. 

I was at an auto dealer the other day and not one employee wore them.  The salesman had the audacity to complain that people weren't taking the virus seriously enough...as he spoke to me less than six feet away without a mask.  
Many of our friends went down to Panama City and beaches on the gulf the last two weeks, they mentioned "COVID just doesn't seem to exist down there"

Meanwhile, Huntsville is now on the COVID-19 Task Force Watch List, which represents any organizations or governments that has more than a 200 percent increase in confirmed cases.

If we don't get our #### together, we're ducked.

Doesn't Costco still require masks?
Based on everyone wearing masks, probably. My wife and I have been wearing ours anytime we go out so I didn’t look for a sign that said it was required. 

We moved here from Texas a couple of weeks ago and during the drive it seemed like Florida was the most stringent on mask-wearing requirements. We spent the night in Mobile and at the hotel, the front desk clerk was wearing a mask and they had a 6-foot line at the front desk. Only one hotel bar was open with signs regarding social distancing. 

We stopped at a McDonald’s somewhere in FL and there was an employee at the door to let people in to minimize the number of people inside at one time. Masks were required inside and only one person at a time allowed in the bathroom. Exit was a separate door from the entrance. 

Since we’ve been in St. Pete, from what we can tell most people are wearing masks while shopping. I don’t think every store has been requiring them but it’s still good to see that most people are doing it. We haven’t been going out to bars or dining in anywhere so the only thing I know about those places is that St. Pete had to re-close 4 bars after employees tested positive for COVID-19. 

Do I, as a bouncer, have the right to deny access to a business, based on someone being unmasked?  Or do I have to let an unmasked person in?  It's a simple question.

Do I, as a bouncer, have the right to deny access to a business, based on someone being unmasked?  Or do I have to let an unmasked person in?  It's a simple question.
May depend on the state.  I imagine in most states businesses can proactively enforce a mask policy (e.g. here in CT, individual businesses can allow dogs or not), but there may be a few where it is not allowed.

The ABC store near me here in VA absolutely won't let you in without a mask. I know this because it happened to me. I had just forgotten to put it on, so went back to my car and rectified that. 

Other places, I haven't seen reject anyone not wearing one even though they had "mandatory mask" signs up.

I've been a bit busy lately to poke my head into these threads. I'm an ICU RN and have seen plenty of COVID first hand. It's amazing how long a COVID patient can remain ill, and how incredibly sick they can become. The overwhelming majority of deaths are older sickly people to begin with, but I've seen more then a few fairly healthy 30, 40 year olds spend 2 weeks plus on a vent and a couple end up with a trach heading to weeks of rehab. Kind of scary.

But here's the problem many people have lost sight of in this as we start to open back up a little. Social distancing, masks, etc....were NEVER going to beat this. It was already too widespread, and too contagious to work. 40-60% of us were going to catch it no matter what we did. The draconion measures we took were to FLATTEN THE CURVE, not eliminate the bug. They worked...in most places, health care facilities weren't over-run, and we've allowed the supply chain to pick up a little on critical gear. But unless we want to spend another year in full isolation with most businesses closed down, we're still gonna have to go through the pain....we're still going to have 3, 4, maybe 12 or 14 hundred thousand die. There's no easy answers there.

Opening most things up but requiring masks almost everywhere is the logical step to take IMO....and cases will stay steady or rise slightly in most areas...but that's kind of the point! YES>>>PEOPLE WILL GET SICK AND DIE! But people were going to get sick and die anyway, we cant stop that. We just need to find the sweet spot where our facilities can keep up well enough to save those they can save (IE: actually have ICU beds and vents and enough staff to work them) while allowing this thing to work it's way through us so we can get to the other side and get back to a normal life. Not an easy thing to do, and not easy decisions for our leaders to make, so I really think we need to keep that in mind as we talk about it. 

Why did the US shutdown for 3 months but then move to full open when the pandemic continues to escalate?
@JetMaxxSee your answer above.

On the good news front, Maryland has really done well with the numbers lately.

We were seeing 1000 new cases per day in May, with a positivity rate declining from 20% to 10% through that month.  1700 total beds and 600 ICU beds being used at the worst.

Our current 7-day positivity rate is 5.4%, and we are falling through 300 new cases per day.  Total in-use beds now 650, and ICU beds 260, so less than half the peak.

Why?  The big counties (MoCo and PG) were slow to reopen, and the populace is well-educated and seems cautious.  We'll see how we do going forward.  I think Florida and Arizona will sober a lot of people up in the next 30 days, assuming they go full blown.  Good luck all!
That’s great to hear, Virginia has really been trending in the right direction as well. Hopefully we see more of this soon in some of the current hot spots. 

I'm not sure. The mayor just announced the change and didn't get in to that level of detail. I'm hoping they can turn them away, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for this....Just got email this AM from them responding to my question from two weeks ago and pointed me to the FAQ....worth the read.
Thanks for pointing this out. Obviously I love that they are including the amount of tests in their calculation with the blue line. Should really make this the go-to reference now for an overview of what's happening.

Isn't this just a twisted way to get to "no shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service"?  Business owner:  "Yeah, I don't like it, but If you don't wear a mask here, I have to pay a fine, so put it on or don't come here".  Sure, it's spineless and completely political, but I guess it's better than nothing :shrug:  
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that the Mayor and Judge took the step. I'm not happy they had too. Our Mayor and the Mayors of just about every large city in the state wrote the Governor and asked to be allowed to mandate masks city-wide. Not state wide mind you, city wide for those suffering spikes. But the Governor simply refused, so we are left stuck looking for loopholes to work around his idiotic stance. Meanwhile we edge closer to overwhelming our healthcare system. It's lunacy.

Cuz this is ‘Merica and ain’t no one gonna tell me what to do. 

Thats the reason why cases in lots of other places are declining and ours are rising again. People get so bent out of shape when the government tells them they have to wear masks, their blinded by the benfits of it
Billionaire investor Paul Tudor Jones said a couple months ago that America's greatest strength, its pursuit of freedom and liberty, will be its biggest weakness during the pandemic.  

I don't necessarily agree that it's our greatest strength at this point in history, but it's definitely a big weakness.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that the Mayor and Judge took the step. I'm not happy they had too. Our Mayor and the Mayors of just about every large city in the state wrote the Governor and asked to be allowed to mandate masks city-wide. Not state wide mind you, city wide for those suffering spikes. But the Governor simply refused, so we are left stuck looking for loopholes to work around his idiotic stance. Meanwhile we edge closer to overwhelming our healthcare system. It's lunacy.
The whack-a-mole approach seems to be the popular choice as it allows our leadership the opportunity to punt to lower levels...that tone was set at the federal level and has trickled down to the states...well some states.  Most of them have an obvious thing in common, but that's for the PSF.

On the good news front, Maryland has really done well with the numbers lately.

We were seeing 1000 new cases per day in May, with a positivity rate declining from 20% to 10% through that month.  1700 total beds and 600 ICU beds being used at the worst.

Our current 7-day positivity rate is 5.4%, and we are falling through 300 new cases per day.  Total in-use beds now 650, and ICU beds 260, so less than half the peak.

Why?  The big counties (MoCo and PG) were slow to reopen, and the populace is well-educated and seems cautious.  We'll see how we do going forward.  I think Florida and Arizona will sober a lot of people up in the next 30 days, assuming they go full blown.  Good luck all!
Also, the biggest city in the state (Baltimore) has been very slow to open up.  I think our helps that there are big hospital and public health entities in the city (UMD and Hopkins).

The whack-a-mole approach seems to be the popular choice as it allows our leadership the opportunity to punt to lower levels...that tone was set at the federal level and has trickled down to the states...well some states.  Most of them have an obvious thing in common, but that's for the PSF.
Oh, there is no doubt Governor Abbott worships at the feet of his orange-skinned god. I'm just stunned that ANY governor would be fine with risking the lives of his constituents for ANY reason, yet alone one as pathetic as that. From reading this thread, I realize he is not alone in that.

I'm not sure. The mayor just announced the change and didn't get in to that level of detail. I'm hoping they can turn them away, but I can't say for sure.
That's the thing that would piss me off more than anything.  If you don't want to wear a mask outside and not in a crowd (maintaining distance), ok, I can pretty much get with that. If states allow stores to not require customers to wear masks, ok, just make that clear to others. But a store should have the right to deny entry if you're not wearing a mask. It's not an equal rights issue or discrimination of handicapped individuals. 

Thanks for pointing this out. Obviously I love that they are including the amount of tests in their calculation with the blue line. Should really make this the go-to reference now for an overview of what's happening.
Agreed.  Anything showing CT in 1st place has to be spot on, but I don't think @Terminalxylem  will be too thrilled.

New redneck battle-cry Im seeing on FB.... "I aint weain' no face mask. It's illegal to wear a face covering when carrying a concealed weapon with a permit.".... MERICA!

Bar down the road opened this week. Its been packed every day. Talked to someone who works there and asked what they're doing for social distancing. She said "You get 2 warnings before being fined. We're fully open with no restrictions whatsoever until that happens." ... MERICA!

Agreed.  Anything showing CT in 1st place has to be spot on, but I don't think @Terminalxylem  will be too thrilled.
It’s easy to destroy your Rt when you have 3 cases or less daily for a couple weeks. But I am concerned with the recent spike, as it includes our first nursing home outbreak.

But I’ll take less than 1000 total cases over 45K+ any day. Your population is less than 3x ours, and even though overall population density is higher in CT, I’m willing to bet the percentage of people living in close proximity is greater on island, as a lot of our terrain is mountainous/volcanic/jungle and uninhabitable.

This is a a huge issue and speaks to why the attitudes that we just need to protect the ones in danger and we'll be cool are so frustrationing. 

My MIL got admitted to the hospital. She isn't doing great. Anytime DNRs become part of the conversation you know it isn't awesome. No one was allowed to go with her. Zero support from her loved ones minus phone calls. She spent 5 days in the hospital. Nothing to do with Covid, but Covid is getting in the way of everything. While she was there, a long term (think 70+ year friendship) friend passed. That funeral is tomorrow. We haven't told my mother-in-law. She can't go and doesn't have anyone there to help her bear the news. And this is one is going hurt deeply.  Forget the economy. I just want to get to a point where we can help each other get through this test  called life with some human compassion. This whole situation is breaking my heart.  
I've seen waaaaay too much of this. We went from programs that made sure that "nobody dies alone" to not letting anyone visit at all. Now it's a single visitor a day ONLY if you're not COVID. 

Lost among the numbers are other deaths. Domestic violence and suicides are WAAAAY up. Doctors are missing stuff they wouldn't have missed before because they're so focused on COVID. And all of the extra precautions we take to tresat people definitely interferes with care.

I think that when it's all said and done we're going to find that more of us have had COVID then we thought. IE: Its far more widespread then the current testing indicates, and more people have carried it without knowing it. That might mean that we get through it a bit quicker then some models predict now. Testing has focused on symptomatic cases only except for some studies. We probably should have tested all of our health care workers, but if we did we might not like the results.

It’s easy to destroy your Rt when you have 3 cases or less daily for a couple weeks. But I am concerned with the recent spike, as it includes our first nursing home outbreak.

But I’ll take less than 1000 total cases over 45K+ any day. Your population is less than 3x ours, and even though overall population density is higher in CT, I’m willing to bet the percentage of people living in close proximity is greater on island, as a lot of our terrain is mountainous/volcanic/jungle and uninhabitable.
Yeah, we got hammered at the start.  Our nursing home folks in the southwest corner of the state were dropping like flies.  The only reason we are #1 right now is because we were bottom of the barrel earlier. 

I've been a bit busy lately to poke my head into these threads. I'm an ICU RN and have seen plenty of COVID first hand. It's amazing how long a COVID patient can remain ill, and how incredibly sick they can become. The overwhelming majority of deaths are older sickly people to begin with, but I've seen more then a few fairly healthy 30, 40 year olds spend 2 weeks plus on a vent and a couple end up with a trach heading to weeks of rehab. Kind of scary.

But here's the problem many people have lost sight of in this as we start to open back up a little. Social distancing, masks, etc....were NEVER going to beat this. It was already too widespread, and too contagious to work. 40-60% of us were going to catch it no matter what we did. The draconion measures we took were to FLATTEN THE CURVE, not eliminate the bug. They worked...in most places, health care facilities weren't over-run, and we've allowed the supply chain to pick up a little on critical gear. But unless we want to spend another year in full isolation with most businesses closed down, we're still gonna have to go through the pain....we're still going to have 3, 4, maybe 12 or 14 hundred thousand die. There's no easy answers there.

Opening most things up but requiring masks almost everywhere is the logical step to take IMO....and cases will stay steady or rise slightly in most areas...but that's kind of the point! YES>>>PEOPLE WILL GET SICK AND DIE! But people were going to get sick and die anyway, we cant stop that. We just need to find the sweet spot where our facilities can keep up well enough to save those they can save (IE: actually have ICU beds and vents and enough staff to work them) while allowing this thing to work it's way through us so we can get to the other side and get back to a normal life. Not an easy thing to do, and not easy decisions for our leaders to make, so I really think we need to keep that in mind as we talk about it. 

Why did the US shutdown for 3 months but then move to full open when the pandemic continues to escalate?
@JetMaxxSee your answer above.
Doesn't excuse all the idiots who fight basic measures such as masking...which is the logical step to take while opening back up. We've been generally good about it here in SE VA, and numbers at my hospital have (so far) remained fairly flat.

On a more.......morbid....note....keep in mind that as we look at the death tolls, that many, most actually, of these deaths are pretty unhealthy people to begin with. A significant percentage of these folks were in their last couple of years of life, years which would have been largely spent in hospitals and rehab facilities fighting their various ailments. I'm not saying that their lives don't matter,  but we might well see a slight down-tick in deaths from other illnesses for a couple of years. I wrote above we're missing some current deaths in the totals, but I guess we're also COUNTING some current deaths in these totals also that would have likely died anyway.

None of this is easy

Any speculation on why the protests didn't make the numbers in places like NYC and Minnesota go up?
I think what we learned from the protests is that the virus doesn't spread very well outdoors, and also masks are good.  (As a reminder, the government lied to us about masks for the first couple of months of the pandemic).

New redneck battle-cry Im seeing on FB.... "I aint weain' no face mask. It's illegal to wear a face covering when carrying a concealed weapon with a permit.".... MERICA!

Bar down the road opened this week. Its been packed every day. Talked to someone who works there and asked what they're doing for social distancing. She said "You get 2 warnings before being fined. We're fully open with no restrictions whatsoever until that happens." ... MERICA!
The problem is many of these people likely don’t know anyone that has it and if they do they don’t know anyone who’s died from it.  Not excusing this behavior but so many people are ignorant and selfish and it will take a death close to them in order to get much of America to comply.  Truly disgusting and I’m in the open things up(responsibly) camp and I do wear a mask indoors in public outside no.

The ABC store near me here in VA absolutely won't let you in without a mask. I know this because it happened to me. I had just forgotten to put it on, so went back to my car and rectified that. 

Other places, I haven't seen reject anyone not wearing one even though they had "mandatory mask" signs up.
ABC is state run and the governor mandated that masks are required for entry into any state government buildings. 

The problem is many of these people likely don’t know anyone that has it and if they do they don’t know anyone who’s died from it.  Not excusing this behavior but so many people are ignorant and selfish and it will take a death close to them in order to get much of America to comply.  Truly disgusting and I’m in the open things up(responsibly) camp and I do wear a mask indoors in public outside no.
My boss's grandmother just died of Covid. With the loosening of restrictions, they were able to have 50 person memorial service. She tells me that she and her immediate family (dad and 2 siblings) were the only people who wore masks. 

At a funeral service, for someone who died of coronavirus, nearly nobody cares enough to protect others from a possible spread. It's ####### bonkers how selfish and ignorant some people are

I agree that it's just an abstract concept for many right now.  I hear "we take risks everyday for other things" and "I'd rather be dead than give up my freedoms".  I think that attitude changes for some when those in their circle begin to suffer.  

ETA - Apparently not for the family mentioned just above.  

At a funeral service, for someone who died of coronavirus, nearly nobody cares enough to protect others from a possible spread. It's ####### bonkers how selfish and ignorant some people are
This is the key, as both you and Pipes have stated on this page alone. People can color it how they want. They can dress it up with whatever excuse they choose to hide behind. But the simple fact is, going anywhere indoors around other people is nothing, absolutely nothing, but selfish and self-centered behavior. I can't imagine being such a self-centered tool that I was simply ok with putting people's life at risk just because I thought a mask was to much of an inconvenience. It boggles my mind.

Edit to add: I am talking large cities, especially those seeing spikes. I realize some rural areas simply aren't affected and this doesn't apply.

On a lighter note, is it OK if I keep wearing a mask even if the current situation greatly improves?  I think I'm better looking with a mask on.  :ninja:   😷  :mellow:   I may open an online dating profile with mask only pics....  For research purposes.  :oldunsure:   

ETA:  Unless mandated by the business, mask wearing in my Nebraska small town is ~1%.  :(   It's a little better in Omaha.

On a lighter note, is it OK if I keep wearing a mask even if the current situation greatly improves?  I think I'm better looking with a mask on.  :ninja:   😷  :mellow:   I may open an online dating profile with mask only pics....  For research purposes.  :oldunsure:   

ETA:  Unless mandated by the business, mask wearing in my Nebraska small town is ~1%.  :(   It's a little better in Omaha.
I did finally get my set of Spurs masks. Looking forward to sporting one of those. Though man, NBA.com is cheap. These are decorative covers and you have to insert some sort of filter. Guess I finally have a use for that pack of 4 cup coffee filters I never used once I retired from the military.

Users who are viewing this thread