What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (8 Viewers)

122,000 dead x 5% under 50 = 6100 people that fit into that category.  Pretty easy to "know of" 14 of them if your socially active.
I know you are trying to be nice, but let’s be honest, I could say I know 50 people under 40 who passed and technically it could be possible. That total is across the entire US. Just NJ is 13k, or around 650 under 40. Adding NY adds about double that. That said, there’s a #### ton of people in NY and NJ. To think that he “knows” around 1% of those under 40 deaths in NY and NJ is a statistical anomaly. It would be the same as saying he knows 250,000-300,000 people in NY/NJ. The guy you replied to isn’t someone I think highly of but I do agree that it’s way more probable that they posted that number to make a point versus actually knowing that many. That said I don’t know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blows my mind. Went to Target yesterday to pick up a few things for a birthday party. Saw maybe 80% mask wearing. The 20% who weren’t were largely older (55-70) and a few teenagers. 
Quite happy to say, though we went early to HEB when the crowd tends to be more casual, I saw 100% mask usage today! I have to say, I was quite happy about that. And, on top of that, I was able to find,, for the first time in months,, two small (35 count) Clorox Wipes and Dial Anti-Bacterial soap! It was a banner day. I hadn't seen Dial since Day One of the pandemic here in Texas.

Quite happy to say, though we went early to HEB when the crowd tends to be more casual, I saw 100% mask usage today! I have to say, I was quite happy about that. And, on top of that, I was able to find,, for the first time in months,, two small (35 count) Clorox Wipes and Dial Anti-Bacterial soap! It was a banner day. I hadn't seen Dial since Day One of the pandemic here in Texas.
HEB is requiring masks in Dallas now. They are going so far as to even ask people to leave that aren't complying once inside.

HEB is requiring masks in Dallas now. They are going so far as to even ask people to leave that aren't complying once inside.
It goes in effect tomorrow here, so I expected to see the last holdouts out in force today. Surprisingly enough, it didn't happen. Though it may have been that way later on. Most the "protesters" tend to be on the younger side and they aren't there at 0730.

I know you are trying to be nice, but let’s be honest, I could say I know 50 people under 40 who passed and technically it could be possible. That total is across the entire US. Just NJ is 13k, or around 650 under 40. Adding NY adds about double that. That said, there’s a #### ton of people in NY and NJ. To think that he “knows” around 1% of those under 40 deaths in NY and NJ is a statistical anomaly. It would be the same as saying he knows 250,000-300,000 people in NY/NJ. The guy you replied to isn’t someone I think highly of but I do agree that it’s way more probable that they posted that number to make a point versus actually knowing that many. That said I don’t know.
I know 5 people that have died and I live in podunk, nowhere WV. 3 of the 5 were younger than 50. So statistically it is possible. 

So I would expect that someone from NY/NJ could hit 14.

I know 5 people that have died and I live in podunk, nowhere WV. 3 of the 5 were younger than 50. So statistically it is possible. 

So I would expect that someone from NY/NJ could hit 14.
Interesting. WV has 89 deaths. The only site I found with ages had 1 out of the first 53 as under 50. Statistically, that means you know every person under 50 in WV who died. That’s an absolute rare case not normal. Again, not saying he’s lying but I surely don’t believe every story in here is fact. I’ll see myself out of this discussion.

Really depends how socially active you are. For those people with hundreds of Facebook friends and members of a large church or school, it’s very reasonable to “know” of all of people impacted.  When the guy in your fantasy league has a brother that passes from covid do you know them?

Interesting. WV has 89 deaths. The only site I found with ages had 1 out of the first 53 as under 50. Statistically, that means you know every person under 50 in WV who died. That’s an absolute rare case not normal. Again, not saying he’s lying but I surely don’t believe every story in here is fact. I’ll see myself out of this discussion.
I live in Berkeley County which is on the border of VA and MD. I have friends and family in both Carolinas, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Colorado, and Arizona. ETA South Dakota. Always forget SD. I also work in the DC metro area.
Not all friends and family are local.

I live in Berkeley County which is on the border of VA and MD. I have friends and family in both Carolinas, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Colorado, and Arizona. ETA South Dakota. Always forget SD. I also work in the DC metro area.
Not all friends and family are local.
OK, why did you say anything about where you live then? He said it was people in his town and neighboring towns in NJ. That's a bit different don't you think? 14 under 40 in a few towns in NJ out of likely 650 under 40 in the entire state of NJ.

I just looked and when NJ had 9000 deaths (they have 12k now, so 33% more), they had 359 deaths under 50. Since the death rates increase a ton going up, it's likely closer to 250 under 40 and add another 1/3rd and you've got 300-350. That's really bad luck.

Really depends how socially active you are. For those people with hundreds of Facebook friends and members of a large church or school, it’s very reasonable to “know” of all of people impacted.  When the guy in your fantasy league has a brother that passes from covid do you know them?
Again, see above. He didn't say that, his 14 under 40 are from his town and neighboring towns. That's a very highly questionable amount just based on simple stats.

All statistically possible, but just extremely unlikely. Anyway, I said I wouldn't respond, but that previous poster wasn't wrong to question it just statistically it's more likely to be made up than to have that bad luck.

The winter will be telling between this and the real flu. I feel awful for the people I know who get sick as a dog every winter.

If you can't dodge the normal flu, how are you supposed to dodge Coronavirus? Second wave has legs, imo.

The winter will be telling between this and the real flu. I feel awful for the people I know who get sick as a dog every winter.

If you can't dodge the normal flu, how are you supposed to dodge Coronavirus? Second wave has legs, imo.
Corona is more closely related to the common cold than the flu. Strep gets me every year or two, but I normally dodge the flu and colds.

SA just crushed previous highs today. Hospitalizations jumped 20% today alone. One quarter of positive cases are in the 20-29 age group. 55% under the age of 40.

My dad lives in northern OH, said he sees about 5-10% of people wearing masks when he’s at Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  :wall:

He wears one and minimizes how often he leaves the house. He really should get his groceries delivered since he’s 74 and had triple bypass surgery 6 months ago. 

The guy you replied to isn’t someone I think highly of but I do agree that it’s way more probable that they posted that number to make a point versus actually knowing that many.
I'm sorry you don't think highly of me. I can't recall a disagreement between us over the years but maybe there was one. In stead of arguing on what causee someone to die I'd rather celebrate their life. My sons been going thru a lot. his grandfather (once again, her father, not mine) passed on March 28th from a long illness unrelated to any of this. He gets infected and is asymptamic and infects his grandmother that died on April 6th. He can't go to any wake or funeral. he carries the guilt of having infected his grandmother who ended up passing from it. 

There's a lot of folks dealing with multiple deaths, heck the first case in NJ ended up killing like 5 or 6 people in the same family, the whole family was whipped out in North Jersey.

There's always exceptions to the rule, nothing is 100% straight forward accurate. Maybe I'm unlucky, maybe we've had a worse time of it. I don't know. I just don't understand bashing that convey their personal experience wi9th this bug. IOf you want to call me a liar, that's fine. I'm not going to argue with you as I don't think that does any justice to our family members, neighbors, schoolmates etc. that have passed from this.​

And I've taken the high ground here. I've never instigated stbugs in any thread in any forum. I have no idea why he doesn't think highly of me (and I really don't care)  I really hope he's not targeting anyone with an opposite opinion based on political beliefs.

And I've taken the high ground here. I've never instigated stbugs in any thread in any forum. I have no idea why he doesn't think highly of me (and I really don't care)  I really hope he's not targeting anyone with an opposite opinion based on political beliefs.
You've been 1000x more patient with these keyboard warriors than I would be.  I'm sorry for your losses and for all your son must be going through.

And for the record, I have nothing against stbugs, I'm at the place in life that I don't want to have any enemies. I just don't understand why he has it in for me. I'm all good buddy, I want no confrontation with anyone and I just want us all to be healthy and prosper.

I'm sorry you don't think highly of me. I can't recall a disagreement between us over the years but maybe there was one. In stead of arguing on what causee someone to die I'd rather celebrate their life. My sons been going thru a lot. his grandfather (once again, her father, not mine) passed on March 28th from a long illness unrelated to any of this. He gets infected and is asymptamic and infects his grandmother that died on April 6th. He can't go to any wake or funeral. he carries the guilt of having infected his grandmother who ended up passing from it. 

There's a lot of folks dealing with multiple deaths, heck the first case in NJ ended up killing like 5 or 6 people in the same family, the whole family was whipped out in North Jersey.

There's always exceptions to the rule, nothing is 100% straight forward accurate. Maybe I'm unlucky, maybe we've had a worse time of it. I don't know. I just don't understand bashing that convey their personal experience wi9th this bug. IOf you want to call me a liar, that's fine. I'm not going to argue with you as I don't think that does any justice to our family members, neighbors, schoolmates etc. that have passed from this.​
He wasn’t saying he thought poorly of you...he was referring to one of the posters who were incredulous of your experience.

I’m sorry you’ve been so hard hit by COVID. And I think all the questioning is just a defense mechanism to avoid the sh!tty reality created by the pandemic. 

I hope so, I don't think I've ever had a run in with him. Personally I try to avoid those at all costs. Nothing good ever comes from them. I'm just here for everyone else

Like I said earlier, I never thought stbugs and I had an issue, maybe we did years ago, of so I've forgotten about it and it was also probably my fault, which again, I apologize

He wasn’t saying he thought poorly of you...he was referring to one of the posters who were incredulous of your experience.

I’m sorry you’ve been so hard hit by COVID. And I think all the questioning is just a defense mechanism to avoid the sh!tty reality created by the pandemic. 
Thanks Terminal and I apologize to stbugs if I misinterpreted anything

hey @Penguin - really sorry to hear about your losses. That's awful. Hang in there buddy. 

@stbugs was replying to BassnBrew. He said he didn't think highly of the guy Bass replied to - that was tjnc09, not you. There are a lot of people on these boards that feel the same way about tjnc09 - just ask anyone who has been active in the various NBA threads over the years. Seems like a smart guy (I haven't read anything he's posted in this thread though) but for some reason only posts here to either argue or talk down to people. Not worth the time imo. 

I have been in this since it started.  Meaning I was an essential business person.  I have been going to work than home.  I have contact with too many people as unknowns at work to let children around me.  Good or bad, I just try not to interact with people besides my wife socially.

You misread. The guy who replied to you about the numbers is the guy I don’t think highly of. He’s an idiot in the pit bull thread and others. Sorry for the confusion. I was just stating that it’s not incorrect to question just purely on stats.

I’m sorry you’ve had to go through that. Me being dumb with math and supporting someone I can’t stand.

hey @Penguin - really sorry to hear about your losses. That's awful. Hang in there buddy. 

@stbugs was replying to BassnBrew. He said he didn't think highly of the guy Bass replied to - that was tjnc09, not you. There are a lot of people on these boards that feel the same way about tjnc09 - just ask anyone who has been active in the various NBA threads over the years. Seems like a smart guy (I haven't read anything he's posted in this thread though) but for some reason only posts here to either argue or talk down to people. Not worth the time imo. 
Yep. I was unfortunately trying to “support” someone I probably shouldn’t have.

I should have stayed out of it. It’s truly just pure bad luck to know that many under 40.

Better not to post sometimes.  Not judging just been there.  Fyi not looking for a response, just an old guy insight.

My dad lives in northern OH, said he sees about 5-10% of people wearing masks when he’s at Wal-Mart or the grocery store.  :wall:

He wears one and minimizes how often he leaves the house. He really should get his groceries delivered since he’s 74 and had triple bypass surgery 6 months ago. 
Western Ohio is the same.  Went to Kroger and only one other person had a mask.  Bars are packed and I have heard that some hair salons are not following the guidelines to be open.

That's where my mom, about to turn 90, is. She rarely ventures out. My brother handles most of her groceries. But occasionally she needs something and needs to go out. I need to ask her what percentage of masks she is seeing.

jesus. glad I've stayed out of this bottom feeding inducing thread.

people accusing a guy who's said he lost 14 people he knows to this of lying? wtf is wrong with you people.
Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

And I still don't think we've seen any follow up answers.

Our outbreak is still pretty bad, but mostly 20-somethings who went to bars last weekend, so likely fewer serious cases and deaths.  Vent usage is not up at local hospitals. I just got back from a 7:00am trip to Lowe's.  I was pleased to see more than half the customers in masks.  The last time I was there mask usage was very limited. Me and another couple.

Our outbreak is still pretty bad, but mostly 20-somethings who went to bars last weekend, so likely fewer serious cases and deaths.  Vent usage is not up at local hospitals. I just got back from a 7:00am trip to Lowe's.  I was pleased to see more than half the customers in masks.  The last time I was there mask usage was very limited. Me and another couple.
A/S/L?

Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

Right. Nobody said he's lying. They've just said they don't believe him.

It isn't as unlikely as people are making it out to be. Viral cases are not randomly distributed around the country. If a person gets COVID, they are more likely to pass it to family and friends than random people. If you have a family member with COVID, you will likely end up knowing a lot of people who get it.

Users who are viewing this thread