What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

Right. Nobody said he's lying. They've just said they don't believe him.
I figured they were fishing to see if a large number of the victims had obesity-related issues, or some other reason for the dramatically young spread.  I certainly would have been interested.  Hard to believe a dozen sub-50 people in "perfect health" would make a list that didn't also include 100 elderly.

Me turning 50 in a matter of days wouldn't have anything to do with my morbid curiosity... no not at all...

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.

SA just crushed previous highs today. Hospitalizations jumped 20% today alone. One quarter of positive cases are in the 20-29 age group. 55% under the age of 40.
Local news is saying majority of new cases traced back to bars and gyms.

I haven't been to a bar, but it seems there is little regard to distancing among the young people.  Worked out a gym couple times a early June, gym was so strict about everything I don't know how that is the case... I would bet this is more the crossfit and boot camp classes.

I haven't been to a bar, but it seems there is little regard to distancing among the young people.  Worked out a gym couple times a early June, gym was so strict about everything I don't know how that is the case... I would bet this is more the crossfit and boot camp classes.
They can clean all they want, but there's still lots of mask-less heavy breathing in a not-so-big space.

Plus, many of the hardcore gym crowd are the type that are still going even if they feel a little sick. 

I miss the gym, but I won't be going back when it reopens here. I'll work out at home as best I can until there's a vaccine / herd immunity / whatever. 

Group exercise classes seem like the ideal place to catch this thing.  

Is it possible to catch COVID and the actual flu at the same time? I know that's probably some crazy nightmare scenario.

But you'd imagine that would have to be a bad time. It's all respiratory.

The reason I bring this up, is what it you had COVID and you're asymptomatic but then catch influenza. Does that somehow open the gateway to respiratory conditions like severe cases of COVID are experiencing?

They can clean all they want, but there's still lots of mask-less heavy breathing in a not-so-big space.

Plus, many of the hardcore gym crowd are the type that are still going even if they feel a little sick. 

I miss the gym, but I won't be going back when it reopens here. I'll work out at home as best I can until there's a vaccine / herd immunity / whatever. 
Same here.  I can tell you from first-hand experience that I have gone to the gym in the past many, many times when I had a cold, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Our gym reopened back on June 1 and I haven't been once.  As long as the weather holds, I'm planning on just using the good old outdoors for as long as possible.  If it happens to be a rainy day, I'll take the unscheduled day off and roll with it.

Is it possible to catch COVID and the actual flu at the same time? I know that's probably some crazy nightmare scenario.

But you'd imagine that would have to be a bad time. It's all respiratory.

The reason I bring this up, is what it you had COVID and you're asymptomatic but then catch influenza. Does that somehow open the gateway to respiratory conditions like severe cases of COVID are experiencing?
Yes it is, and no it doesn’t. Many, if not most people with COVID have been tested for flu, and the vast majority aren’t coinfected.

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 
This is definitely the case in Arizona 

Maybe a little bit because of better treatment but most of the change is the large decrease in the median age of positives cases. We are beyond screwed if this virus starts killing 25-50 year olds at a higher clip.

This is exactly how I feel.  Connecticut leads the nation with 9.31% of it's infected dying.  No state getting slammed right now even comes close.

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.
For medical purposes, this means that youre blood type is Type A.

You inherited a Type A genetic marker from one of your parents and a Type O marker from the other (scroll down about 3/4 of the way down this page for more detail).

Does the home test show whether you are Rh+ or Rh- ?

EDIT: What huthut said.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't as unlikely as people are making it out to be. Viral cases are not randomly distributed around the country. If a person gets COVID, they are more likely to pass it to family and friends than random people. If you have a family member with COVID, you will likely end up knowing a lot of people who get it.
The age of the death the the unlikeliness in this example.  It's a clear outlier...just curious as to the details.  Not the same thing as calling the OP a liar. :shrug:

Are there any states right now that are having high death counts, not just high positives or hospitalizations?
Florida and Indiana are states that you would look to here, both have been outliers in that their death rate has not dropped.  They've stayed mostly constant though, not rising, just sort of staying flat.  :shrug:  

Florida and Indiana are states that you would look to here, both have been outliers in that their death rate has not dropped.  They've stayed mostly constant though, not rising, just sort of staying flat.  :shrug:  
Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 

Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 
You know what we should've done?  We should've assigned states to the folks in here, and we would've had some great numbers.  For example, I have a spreadsheet I made following Connecticut.  It shows daily tests, positives, hospitalizations, and deaths.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/TexasCOVID-19HospitalizationsOverTimebyTSA.xlsx

Texas COVID hospitalizations over time.  essentially doubled in past 3 weeks
Local news just stated San Antonio doubled in the past two weeks.

I'd like to think the Governor would have something helpful and intelligent to say at his 2 p.m. briefing today, but I know that's a pipe dream. Especially giving the idiotic exploits of his idol this weekend, gathering thousands of people in an enclosed space with no masks.

You know what we should've done?  We should've assigned states to the folks in here, and we would've had some great numbers.  For example, I have a spreadsheet I made following Connecticut.  It shows daily tests, positives, hospitalizations, and deaths.
I continue to be baffled as to how difficult it can be to find data like this.  Once they started breaking PA's data out by county, I started watching my county since it's most relevant for my family.  They list total tests and positives, but the only way to get day to day data is to log it yourself by checking the website every day.  Same thing with hospitalizations and ventilators.  After forgetting for a few days, I stopped logging, thinking surely someone will make the daily breakdown available soon.  So far, sadly, not that I've found...

New rumblings from South and Central Texas.

Increased hospitalizations, but the cases are generally not severe.  Still no worry about over running the hospitals but out of precaution may start limiting elective procedures and possibly a brief shut down in July.

Looks like local municipalities here are beginning to do the needful and requiring masks.  It'd be incredibly helpful if we'd have state leadership on this, but he too seems to be punting opting for what I call the "whack-a-mole" approach.  I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.  At least the stupidity is consistent I guess?  So frustrating.

New rumblings from South and Central Texas.

Increased hospitalizations, but the cases are generally not severe.  
That's great.  Probably a pipe dream but the general wisdom is that these bugs evolve into less virulent forms over time.  One can only hope that were starting to see that.

Looks like local municipalities here are beginning to do the needful and requiring masks.  It'd be incredibly helpful if we'd have state leadership on this, but he too seems to be punting opting for what I call the "whack-a-mole" approach.  I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.  At least the stupidity is consistent I guess?  So frustrating.
Knowledge: "We can open up slowly and safely if we wear masks."

U.S.A.: "Yeah we're not doing that."

Insert "test and trace" for "wear masks", same response. 

That's great.  Probably a pipe dream but the general wisdom is that these bugs evolve into less virulent forms over time.  One can only hope that were starting to see that.
I think it is more the fact that new cases are kids at bars and gyms.  Younger population.

I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.
If @Mr Anonymous returns to this thread, I know he'll have some choice words for those who want it both ways -- everything opened up like February, but no face coverings either.

Those folks probably each want warm apple pie and a pony, too.

Went into Home Depot (MN) to grab a couple things at lunch.  Place was packed, as it’s been for the past three months every time I’ve been there.  I was floored at the amount of people not wearing a mask, to the point I decided to count how many customers I saw that were actually wearing a mask during my 15 minutes in the store.  

Two.  That’s it.  Two other customers out of at least a hundred people I saw were wearing a mask.  It’s just dumbfounding.  

I think it is more the fact that new cases are kids at bars and gyms.  Younger population.
Going from memory, but it looks like all the increasing states of late (AZ, TX, SC, FL, etc.) are seeing about half of their new infections in young adults. Accordingly, so far as I can tell in the immediate moment, this is keeping raw hospitalization numbers lower than they could be.

Here is my covid story over the last week.

Wife has been taking care of her mom who is diagnosed with cancer, pretty much living over there the last three weeks (school teacher not working in summer).

She picked up the virus, I am assuming at one of the dr. visits but who knows.  She called me last thursday flipping out that she couldn't smell anything and felt crappy, shes going to get tested.  I hadn't seen her since the Saturday before since she was at her moms all week.    I immediately packed up me and the boys and went to our lake place.  She tested postive...

Somehow her mom didn't get it, I have no clue how, she would have surely died I'm assuming and my wife would have blamed herself I'm sure.  I got tested Saturday same day as her mom (yea its like shoving a pop sickle stick up to your brain), I didn't have it either, that said I wasn't worried anyways because I really haven't been around her and if I did get it I'm not scared of it killing me anyways.

All and all Wife is fine as of now, basically a two day flu more in her case which is great.  and the bonus part is I get to work from the lake all week and into next week.

If @Mr Anonymous returns to this thread, I know he'll have some choice words for those who want it both ways -- everything opened up like February, but no face coverings either.

Those folks probably each want warm apple pie and a pony, too.
meh....it's pretty clear he didn't care about "guidelines" unless they opened up in a fashion stricter than what was outlined.  I haven't seen a single comment from him condemning the states opening outside the guidelines OR the states not shutting back down in accordance with  "guidelines".

I'm floored by the numerous reports in here of folks finding nobody in masks. In Virginia, you can't enter many businesses without masking. I went into a grocery store yesterday that not only had someone at the door enforcing masks, but they had giant buckets of cheap plastic gloves they were asking everyone to put on when they entered! Masking here approaches 100% except in restaurants...where all the severs stay masked and most tables are 6 feet apart.

Which is frustrating - we have repoened and people are doing a good job distancing in public, restaurants, etc.  Not many wearing masks except wear required... and it has worked.

Then you have kids crowding into bars and effing it up again.
you're lucky....that's not been the case here.  I can't figure it out in my local stores though.  I'll go one day and it seems no one gives a crap, then 3-4 days later go into the same store and damn near everyone is doing what they are supposed to.  I CAN say, the latter is happening less and less...we are definitely trending to "not a good job" on a consistent basis, but some days it's damn near perfect.

For the most part, people are wearing masks around here, but social distancing? No one must have learned basic math as a kid. It's a real life game of frogger
Just the opposite here (MI).  Very few masks, but distancing seems OK.  Unfortunately, the social distancing is being applied to driving as well.  Slow drivers leaving 60 car lengths between them and the car in front of them :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread