Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

36 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

That's a huge number, but how many tests?

Looks like that was taken off the florida site...hadn't been out there in a while.  It's no longer there.  the JHU site doesn't have it on there yet.  I don't know where else to go to get it.  But this state has been testing well this whole time, so I'm not sure it will be a huge number larger than yesterday or the day before.

9 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

2519 new cases in AZ. Haven’t seen the rest of data (total tests, hospitalizations) but don’t see any sign that the big numbers are slowing down.

That's ok. The ice cream man is punting to the Mayors to figure it out. First Trump punted to the Governors and now Ducey is taking a page from his play book. The buck stops elsewhere. Probably belongs in the PSF but the lack of leadership is frustrating. And deadly.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Looks like that was taken off the florida site...hadn't been out there in a while.  It's no longer there.  the JHU site doesn't have it on there yet.  I don't know where else to go to get it.  But this state has been testing well this whole time, so I'm not sure it will be a huge number larger than yesterday or the day before.

I checked - 3207 positives out of 26556 tests = 12.08% positive rate

If you go back to the previous page of this thread, I posted all the daily data for Florida, and today's numbers are in line with Florida's trajectory, which is not good.

10 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

That's ok. The ice cream man is punting to the Mayors to figure it out. First Trump punted to the Governors and now Ducey is taking a page from his play book. The buck stops elsewhere. Probably belongs in the PSF but the lack of leadership is frustrating. And deadly.

What do you want Ducey to do?  I live in AZ and I don't want to see the state shut down again.

2 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

What do you want Ducey to do?  I live in AZ and I don't want to see the state shut down again.

I bet a lot of people don’t want to die. 

You may survive another month eating snacks and watching Netflix 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

2519 new cases in AZ. Haven’t seen the rest of data (total tests, hospitalizations) but don’t see any sign that the big numbers are slowing down.

Arizona getting hammered right now.  If you wanna see the numbers, check here... https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

45 minutes ago, Payne said:

I honestly don't know how some of you sleep at night. Are you constantly anxious and nervous? 

My family has done takeout since the beginning. Just had our first dine-in experience this past weekend. And I live next door to Detroit, a very large hot spot. 

Wash your hands. Wear a mask when needed. Cannot live in fear.   

Agreed. Been doing take out since the beginning. I was a bit more worried about wiping stuff down early on, but I remember some of the horror stories about buying things at the grocery store and five step cleansing routines. We’ve done 3 dine ins. Two while at the beach for Memorial Day and once last weekend. I have sanitizer in every car and use masks every time I go in a store but I couldn’t imagine not having picked up any food in 3 months. I’ve been very careful overall but I can’t live in a cocoon. It’ll be interesting on our annual Hilton Head trip with 3 other families but we need it and it’s a pretty private beach we rent out a house on the beach. I didn’t really feel comfortable being at a hotel on Memorial Day but my wife and boys wanted it and we had no issues. This will be a thousand times easier as we’re bringing food and we’ll just do takeout and when we are at the house we’ll have no other contact and all four families have been good. I’ll likely be the most anal but being right on the beach makes me feel way better. 

19 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

I checked - 3207 positives out of 26556 tests = 12.08% positive rate

If you go back to the previous page of this thread, I posted all the daily data for Florida, and today's numbers are in line with Florida's trajectory, which is not good.

Where did you get that?

6 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Arizona getting hammered right now.  If you wanna see the numbers, check here... https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Clicking on Hospitalization shows a steady decrease since June 2nd.

Clicking on Covid19 Deaths shows a steady decrease since May 28th.

• Like 1

Arizona looks like our test case for what happens if you don't re close if hospitals fill up.  Alabama might be next.  

I'm squinting at the state data and not really seeing what the third most likely state to max will be.   Might be some regionally that struggle. 

If these two don't ultimately max out I feel like it's a huge step forward. 

20 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Require masks in all public and private locations and stop dining and bars.   It sucks but it needs to be done.   This thing spreads like crazy and new cases are a lagging indicator.   Having watched what it does here in NY, it is hard to watch others not take it seriously.  

Do we have a break down in numbers for Phoenix metro area?   Latest I saw was Monday numbers and they were heavily focused there.   To be honest, I am much more concerned with LA and Phoenix then Florida and Texas. You see how those numbers are increasing you realize it is not as bad as metro areas of LA and Phoenix, which look like they will be another NYC.

17 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Where did you get that?

They post a report Monday through Friday on their website. It goes through the previous day. Scroll down to the middle of the page below and click on "See State Report"

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

6 minutes ago, Redwes25 said:

Require masks in all public and private locations and stop dining and bars.   It sucks but it needs to be done.   This thing spreads like crazy and new cases are a lagging indicator.   Having watched what it does here in NY, it is hard to watch others not take it seriously.  

Do we have a break down in numbers for Phoenix metro area?   Latest I saw was Monday numbers and they were heavily focused there.   To be honest, I am much more concerned with LA and Phoenix then Florida and Texas. You see how those numbers are increasing you realize it is not as bad as metro areas of LA and Phoenix, which look like they will be another NYC.

I am not sure you can require people to wear masks.  Perhaps businesses can for entry but I don't think the Governor can mandate it.  

34 minutes ago, shader said:

I bet a lot of people don’t want to die. 

You may survive another month eating snacks and watching Netflix 

You bet a lot of people don't want to die?  Way to take a wild leap of faith!  Of course not.  However, those folks that are scared like you can remain in their house.  

37 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Masks in public 100% of the time. Close bars and in-dining restaurants for 30 days.

My Dad lives in AZ and I lived there for 20 years. So I sympathize with your point, but AZ residents need to understand they didn't handle this properly. They never really shut down, opened up too soon, and now the healthcare system is in danger of being overwhelmed. The next step is refrigerated tractor trailers that will hold the dead because hospitals and morgues will be full. 

The virus is always someone else's problem until it isn't. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

I am not sure you can require people to wear masks.  Perhaps businesses can for entry but I don't think the Governor can mandate it.  

This is not directed at you personally. But the attitudes need to change regarding mitigating the virus. It isn't about "freedoms". Masks work and they should absolutely be mandated. 

• Like 4

You see near 100% compliance in NY and they are required anytime outside your home when you can't maintain 6 feet distance.  

4 minutes ago, jamny said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1273640783178915841

Their website doesn’t work well on my phone, so I don’t know if you are talking total hospitalizations or COVID hospitalizations. The account I linked to is the data guy at one to the news stations and uses the data from that site. His data shows record highs in total ICU and vents in use. Total acute bed use is down but acute beds for COVID is at record highs as are ICU and emergency use for COVID patients. So not sure what part of hospitalizations shoe steady decrease.

6 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Masks in public 100% of the time. Close bars and in-dining restaurants for 30 days.

My Dad lives in AZ and I lived there for 20 years. So I sympathize with your point, but AZ residents need to understand they didn't handle this properly. They never really shut down, opened up too soon, and now the healthcare system is in danger of being overwhelmed. The next step is refrigerated tractor trailers that will hold the dead because hospitals and morgues will be full. 

The virus is always someone else's problem until it isn't. 

AZ did shut down.  Full stop.  Deaths and hospitalization are on the decline.

6 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

This is not directed at you personally. But the attitudes need to change regarding mitigating the virus. It isn't about "freedoms". Masks work and they should absolutely be mandated. 

Disagree on mandate.  However I agree they work and I wear one whenever I go out in public.

10 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

He can mandate it but left it up to the cities. Several of the major city have already said they’re gonna put a mandate in place.

5 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Just want to highlight that I am rooting hard for this, and apologies if it came off otherwise. The virus is no joke. I saw in another post you mentioned that you are wearing a mask in public. You are doing the right thing and literally saving lives, so thank you for that on behalf of my 71 year old Dad in Chandler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jamny said:

If you click on the "Hospital Bed Usage & Availability" and "Ventilator Usage & Availability" buttons, they tell a different story.

38 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

This is absolutely false

“Emergency department visits and counts of inpatient beds, ICU beds and ventilators in use for suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients hit their highest-ever numbers Tuesday, according to hospital data.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fauci says likely no football this year 😮

"it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall"

2 minutes ago, the rover said:

This is absolutely false

“Emergency department visits and counts of inpatient beds, ICU beds and ventilators in use for suspected and confirmed COVID-19 patients hit their highest-ever numbers Tuesday, according to hospital data.”

There are certain viewpoints that twist the numbers to fit agendas.  Always be cautious of them.

If cases are rising, "yeah but how many tests".  

If hospitalizations and deaths start rising, they will ridicule those, say they are fake, claim conspiracies, say the flu has more deaths, etc, etc.

The reason I know this is that we just went through this 2 months ago.

The idea that a 2nd wave isn't going to happen in a country that is opening up is sheer idiocy.  It's 100% coming.  Not everywhere, not quickly, not with the same speed as before, but it is coming.  Every scientist and epidemiologist I've listened to is worried about it.

The ONLY people that aren't worried about it are a specific group of people that all have similar beliefs, but about which I cannot speak in this forum.

• Thanks 2

As states are trying to open up, it seems like important numbers would be ICU and bed availability percentages.  Here are the 5 worst and best in each category:

ICU - Worst - AL (21%), FL (26%), GA (27%), AZ, MD, RI (28%)

ICU - Best - ND (68%), OH (61%), NJ (60%), WI (59%), VT (56%)

Beds - Worst - RI (18%), MD (22%), NV (30%), MA (31%), AL (32%)

Beds - Best - WY (58%), ID (57%), ND (56%), KS, WI (53%)

Alabama has been getting recognition as a state in need, but MD & RI are on both worst lists and I haven't much much about them.

A second wave would have implied a sustained period below R1. That never happened. Maybe for one week in April that's it.  Still completely in first wave.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

God I hope he's off here.  I will be the first to admit I'm being short-sighted about it all by saying this, but I will absolutely lose my ish if there's no football this year.  It's been one thing to have lost March Madness and waiting on basketball to return (if it even does), but if we were to lose football on top of everything else I don't know where my mind will go.  We absolutely need distractions and hobbies.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

God I hope he's off here.  I will be the first to admit I'm being short-sighted about it all by saying this, but I will absolutely lose my ish if there's no football this year.  It's been one thing to have lost March Madness and waiting on basketball to return (if it even does), but if we were to lose football on top of everything else I don't know where my mind will go.  We absolutely need distractions and hobbies.

Well Fauci has been wrong so many times on this so the odds are he is wrong again.

Edited by Don't Noonan

Well Fauci has been wrong so many times on this so the odds are he is wrong again.

I think he's clearly an intelligent guy with plenty of background on the subject, but I fear he's been steered by "forces unknown" too many times to know if what he's saying is legit or just where these "forces" wish things to be steered.

Edit:  Or heck, maybe these "forces" are known.  I'm just unsure as to who to believe these days.  :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR69 said:

They post a report Monday through Friday on their website. It goes through the previous day. Scroll down to the middle of the page below and click on "See State Report"

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

:hifive:  Thanks!  It used to be right on the dashboard as a tab....guess it was too easy to get to there :lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug B said:

We haven't even done take-out. I'm game for take-out, but my better half still isn't there yet.

Some of the indoor-dining experiences I'm reading in this thread and from other sources make the prospect sound less than enticing. Being a family that probably got take out and/or ate out 2 or 3 times a week ... I can envision not dining anywhere until 2021 if the experience won't even somewhat approach pre-COVID.

Not sure when we can get back to take-out ... it takes a unanimous vote in our household.

First month we didn't do take out but restaurants were closed for a good bit of it. Been doing take out since May with no worries. Again, restaurants are just opening up to dine-in here in SC so a little more nervous when I walk in and the only people wearing a mask are me & the workers. I sanitize after leaving, wash hands thoroughly when I get home and eat in peace.

38 minutes ago, culdeus said:

A second wave would have implied a sustained period below R1. That never happened. Maybe for one week in April that's it.  Still completely in first wave.  

:goodposting:So many people saying second wave, and there well might be a few areas of the country that can claim this but 90% are still firmly imbedded in the first wave. Don't kid yourself.

Posted (edited)

Every state (some punt to local municipalities) has laws about shirts/shoes, but somehow we can't have one for masks?  Really?  Come on!  Of course we can.  It just takes the will to do the correct thing.  The politicizing of masks might be the dumbest, most short sighted thing I've seen in politics ever.  

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Do you have a link for this?

9 minutes ago, Clayton Gray said:
2 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

This was the link posted earlier.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Something seems off there, though.  "Hospitalizations" shows a steady decline, but all other pages related to hospitalizations show steady increases.  Something on the hospitalizations and deaths pages seems out of whack with the rest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

he will probably say the opposite next week. the guy is a clown

4 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

This was the link posted earlier.

https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/epidemiology-disease-control/infectious-disease-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php

Something seems off there, though.  "Hospitalizations" shows a steady decline, but all other pages related to hospitalizations show steady increases.  Something on the hospitalizations and deaths pages seems out of whack with the rest.

Deaths have decreased, that’s not an error and is not unexpected. Hospitalizations, I have no clue about. The only category that shows any decline is overall hospitalization which has decreased while COVID hospitalizations have increased. That’s likely an indicator that they are opening up beds for COVID patients.

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

Every state (some punt to local municipalities) has laws about shirts/shoes, but somehow we can't have one for masks?  Really?  Come on!  Of course we can.  It just takes the will to do the correct thing.  The politicizing of masks might be the dumbest, most short sighted thing I've seen in politics ever.  

I believe California just announced one

8 minutes ago, shader said:

https://twitter.com/cagovernor/status/1273694391543054336?s=21

NEW: Californians are now required to wear face coverings in public spaces - particularly indoors or when physical distancing is not possible. 😷

Most places here were already like this.  But they just reopened bars/restaurants (where masks obviously can't be worn), sooo not sure how that all works out.

I'm fine with wearing my mask indoors.  Have been for awhile now.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clayton Gray said:

I can give you a dozen that says it’s false.  

here’s a Harvard epidemiologist that says Arizona is actually the worst situated state in the country

Link

Edited by the rover

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

You don't have to shut everything down but you can step up and require masks and other safety measures. You can certainly shut down things like bars. I'm sorry but they aren't smart to be open in a pandemic. Give financial assistance if necessary. Do agressive testing and contact tracing. Enter into agreements with hotels to temporarily house non-serious Covid patients. Stop playing games with reporting of data and burying the truth. It's not just a matter of more testing being done. We've got a problem. Not sure how accurate but I saw one chart that said AZ leads the world, not the US, the WORLD in per capita case rates.

That last statement is probably not accurate. It was a chart where AZ was at the top but may not have had ALL the hotspots in it.

Edited by cap'n grunge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nirad3 said:

Most places here were already like this.  But they just reopened bars/restaurants (where masks obviously can't be worn), sooo not sure how that all works out.

I'm fine with wearing my mask indoors.  Have been for awhile now.  

In restaurants/bars, my understanding is that you need to wear them when anytime you’re not sitting and can’t maintain social distancing (entering, waiting, ordering at bar, restroom). Waiting to see if either of the cities I work in will issue a mandate.

ran some errands in north Austin and i was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of masks being worn.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

In restaurants/bars, my understanding is that you need to wear them when anytime you’re not sitting and can’t maintain social distancing (entering, waiting, ordering at bar, restroom). Waiting to see if either of the cities I work in will issue a mandate.

They should all do that.