Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

3 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

I'll put my Connecticut up against your Michigan  :D

Might want to hold your horses there.  Betting @Ilov80s would have an easier time getting tested than either of us.

2 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Might want to hold your horses there.  Betting @Ilov80s would have an easier time getting tested than either of us.

We also were a total disaster a couple months ago though so I can’t brag too much. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

That's what I'm talking about!  These are the fights we need to be having.  Not arguing over how bad states are doing, but fighting over which states are, in the words of Charlie Sheen... WINNING!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Biff84 said:

Not at all surprising. I bet I could do the same at many places here in AZ. It’s just depressing.  Next will be the viral videos of people throwing a fit when they can’t enter businesses in cities with mask mandates.

Plenty of these videos already.

11 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

Further proof CT is kicking ### and taking names.  I tried to set up an appointment to get tested, and the website turned me down, because I wasn't a high enough risk.  Makes you wonder, how has CT's positivity rate been only 2% the last few weeks when you basically have to be dead to get a test?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

My county in Florida just posted their back to school alternatives for August.  It's up to each parent to decide between 1.  Go back to school as normal, 2.  Homeschool program with check ins with teachers throughout the week, and 3. Online School with live classes daily so that parents aren't the ones teaching.  We'll probably go with the 3rd option although I've got to figure out how to get my son some socialization.  He's growing increasingly depressed without interaction with other kids.  

Where in Florida are you CC?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Where in Florida are you CC?

Tampa area.  Pasco county.

Edited by Captain Cranks

Going to a memorial service this evening for a coworker's wife who passed away due to covid 2 months ago.  Due to restrictions, the husband has been unable to have a memorial service. I have no idea what this is going to look like except that it is at a big hall. :(

• Sad 3

I never realized how many Florida guys we have on this board.

• Like 2

Customer call just now: Do you need to make an appointment for an immunization? Also do you COVID testing because my friend I spent the day with 4 days ago just tested positive. 😐

• Thinking 1

Ugh.  So the mayor of Tampa imposed mandatory mask wearing for everyone indoors (not their own home, obviously).  I post the article on FB, and my conservative sister in law responds with, "my doctor told me masks are just being used for symbolism."  

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

Ugh.  So the mayor of Tampa imposed mandatory mask wearing for everyone indoors (not their own home, obviously).  I post the article on FB, and my conservative sister in law responds with, "my doctor told me masks are just being used for symbolism."  

Sounds uncomfortable

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

36 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

That's unfortunate.

May have spotted a problem in bold though. Now you and the sister in-law are "those people" to each other. FB is a cesspool.

Now back to the regularly scheduled pandemic.

56 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

Be tough for me not to respond with "Might be time to look into a new doctor.  I can't believe a physician would say those sorts of things given what we now know"

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Be tough for me not to respond with "Might be time to look into a new doctor.  I can't believe a physician would say those sorts of things given what we now know"

:D  I actually typed out that kind of response but then deleted it.  Instead I linked her to the study out of Texas A&M that says masks are effective.  link

It'll be disregarded, I'm sure.

28 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

That's unfortunate.

May have spotted a problem in bold though. Now you and the sister in-law are "those people" to each other. FB is a cesspool.

Now back to the regularly scheduled pandemic.

Oh, I've long known she was one of 'those people' and vice versa.  I'm a black sheep in a field on Evangelical right wingers.  If they don't like to see the 'sciency' or 'lib' stuff that I post to inform others in my area, they're welcome to unfollow me. I unfollowed her and my brother years ago.  If I have to wade through 20 political memes before I get an update on what your kids are doing, you're being unfollowed.  I wouldn't hold it against them to do the same.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Payne said:

Don't think I singled you out, so probably not the type of person I am referring to.  

You didn’t, but I’m among the people who are appalled by widespread dismissal of the virus’ severity and premature return to “normal” living. I just threw in the extreme sports humblebrag to show one can be concerned without cowering in a safe room.

And I’m willing to bet most of the “doom and gloom” crowd share my concerns, but don’t live their lives in fear as you implied.

Edited by Terminalxylem

2 hours ago, TheWinz said:

I'll put my Connecticut up against your Michigan  :D

HI has 100% indoor mask usage and less than 1000 total cases, many of them imported.  While we’ve seen an uptick in cases the last few days, I think we’ve done an outstanding job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biff84 said:

Customer call just now: Do you need to make an appointment for an immunization? Also do you COVID testing because my friend I spent the day with 4 days ago just tested positive. 😐

And she came in after told her not to. Of course I didn’t realize it until after I had a 5 minute conversation with her in the immunization room. Perks of the job I guess.

2 hours ago, top dog said:

Going to a memorial service this evening for a coworker's wife who passed away due to covid 2 months ago.  Due to restrictions, the husband has been unable to have a memorial service. I have no idea what this is going to look like except that it is at a big hall. :(

:wall::wall:

I ended up skipping the service because my 85 year old father just had aorta aneurysm surgery and was being released today.  Didn't want to go to this service, possibly get exposed, then go to his house to help him the next couple days. We were kind of worried about him even getting through the surgery as he isn't in the best of health but the surgery went great and he did great. He was released today and when he got home the hospital called him to tell him that a nurse he had interactions with on Wed tested positive for COVID today. Now he has to quarantine for 14 days. My brother drove him home from the hospital and was potentially exposed. My daughter lives with him to help take care of him. Now we will have to play a waiting gave for 14 days where he could develop symptoms and she is there potentially exposed. She is 27, so I'm not too worried about her, but damn we can't win for losing here.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, top dog said:

I ended up skipping the service because my 85 year old father just had aorta aneurysm surgery and was being released today.  Didn't want to go to this service, possibly get exposed, then go to his house to help him the next couple days. We were kind of worried about him even getting through the surgery as he isn't in the best of health but the surgery went great and he did great. He was released today and when he got home the hospital called him to tell him that a nurse he had interactions with on Wed tested positive for COVID today. Now he has to quarantine for 14 days. My brother drove him home from the hospital and was potentially exposed. My daughter lives with him to help take care of him. Now we will have to play a waiting gave for 14 days where he could develop symptoms and she is there potentially exposed. She is 27, so I'm not too worried about her, but damn we can't win for losing here.

This is a a huge issue and speaks to why the attitudes that we just need to protect the ones in danger and we'll be cool are so frustrationing. 

My MIL got admitted to the hospital. She isn't doing great. Anytime DNRs become part of the conversation you know it isn't awesome. No one was allowed to go with her. Zero support from her loved ones minus phone calls. She spent 5 days in the hospital. Nothing to do with Covid, but Covid is getting in the way of everything. While she was there, a long term (think 70+ year friendship) friend passed. That funeral is tomorrow. We haven't told my mother-in-law. She can't go and doesn't have anyone there to help her bear the news. And this is one is going hurt deeply.  Forget the economy. I just want to get to a point where we can help each other get through this test  called life with some human compassion. This whole situation is breaking my heart.  

Edited by IrishTwinkie
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, IrishTwinkie said:

This is a a huge issue and speaks to why the attitudes that we just need to protect the ones in danger and we'll be cool are so frustrations. 

From what I have been reading in this thread catching up, it seems there are quite a few FBG members that feel older folks are relatively expendable so that they aren't inconvenienced by the horror of wearing a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, proteus126 said:

Brazil with a BIG day.

Ugh that’s awful. And everything I’ve read from there leads me to believe all their numbers are far below the reality.

For the 49 non-New York states, today is far and away the worst day as well. 

It’s clearly getting out of control in many areas.

2 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

My wife it's because they are trying to control us. I keep asking how so and get no response. I don't push it too much because I like sex. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

17 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

From what I have been reading in this thread catching up, it seems there are quite a few FBG members that feel older folks are relatively expendable so that they aren't inconvenienced by the horror of wearing a mask.

I don't think they're expendable but I do admit I don't think it's fair my child's life was upended and education was essentially put on hold for god's knows how long, lack of seeing friends, playing sports all to save 85 year old granny who already lived her whole life. It makes me selfish so be it but my son is my whole world to me and I don't apologize for that. 

1 minute ago, jobarules said:

My wife it's because they are trying to control us. I keep asking how so and get no response. I don't push it too much because I like sex. 

Yeah, my wife and I have been on the same page for most of this, although admittedly I've been on the more cautious side. She's starting to lean more towards "enough is enough, lets open up" I've been treading lightly to avoid arguments but we're clearly diverging on our opinions of this at this stage. I keep pointing out new numbers to keep her realistic.

Any speculation on why the protests didn't make the numbers in places like NYC and Minnesota go up?

46 minutes ago, top dog said:

Perfect illustration of why it's so dumb to be trying to downplay this thing...sorry GB.  Hope things go ok for you :thumbup: 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jamny said:

Any speculation on why the protests didn't make the numbers in places like NYC and Minnesota go up?

masks?  don't know....i don't watch the news all that much, but around here, most of the protests have been requiring masks to be part of the group.  

15 minutes ago, jobarules said:

I don't think they're expendable but I do admit I don't think it's fair my child's life was upended and education was essentially put on hold for god's knows how long, lack of seeing friends, playing sports all to save 85 year old granny who already lived her whole life. It makes me selfish so be it but my son is my whole world to me and I don't apologize for that. 

Good opportunity to teach your son that life ain't fair.  To count your blessings when things are good.  To appreciate the little routine things.  What a great dose of perspective this pandemic offers, that hopefully will add richness to the rest of his long life.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, jamny said:

Outdoors. Masks. You would think you are looking at 1 spreader per 500 people in that demo (Dallas estimate was this, sue me if NYC is higher). 

There is far more risk going to a restaurant 

31 minutes ago, jamny said:

It’s probably too early to determine if it did or not. Many were young and healthy, so they may not show symptoms. The next level of spread is what could cause problems - when the young asymptomatic kids pass it onto the vulnerable people in their family and community.

51 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Perfect illustration of why it's so dumb to be trying to downplay this thing...sorry GB.  Hope things go ok for you :thumbup: 

He should be fine. Spoke to the nurse supervisor and had them pull his paperwork to see how much interaction he had with the nurse. Apparently they notified every patient on the floor, but he was never under her direct care. Considering they mask up and know protocol, I think his chances of contracting it are pretty slim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jobarules said:

It's tough, no doubt. And I get it. But for me - having my kids, and me, being able to see my 78 year old Dad (kidney transplsnt recipient - super high risk) for hopefully a few more years far outweighs my kids need to go to school or play sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, top dog said:

He should be fine. Spoke to the nurse supervisor and had them pull his paperwork to see how much interaction he had with the nurse. Apparently they notified every patient on the floor, but he was never under her direct care. Considering they mask up and know protocol, I think his chances of contracting it are pretty slim. 

Hoping all goes well :thumbup: 

Much better if she wasn't one that actually took care of him.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Outdoors. Masks. You would think you are looking at 1 spreader per 500 people in that demo (Dallas estimate was this, sue me if NYC is higher). 

There is far more risk going to a restaurant 

The outdoors part seems to be becoming bigger and bigger. I mean it makes sense recycled AC air would spread it judging by some of the vectors in NYC (recycled building and subway air).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

I mean it makes sense recycled AC air would spread it judging by some of the vectors in NYC (recycled building and subway air).

It’s kind of the opposite — it’s stale indoor air that’s not getting moved around enough. It’s not so much “recycled” air per se ... it’s air that’s not getting exchanged (recycled) with enough frequency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

HI has 100% indoor mask usage and less than 1000 total cases, many of them imported.  While we’ve seen an uptick in cases the last few days, I think we’ve done an outstanding job.

So bummed my 2 week vacation there first part of August is cancelled. 

I get the masks, the outdoors and even the generally younger crowd but it's still weird that it didn't even cause a blip yet. It definitely should be looked at in considering social distancing outdoors.

20 minutes ago, jamny said:

I get the masks, the outdoors and even the generally younger crowd but it's still weird that it didn't even cause a blip yet. It definitely should be looked at in considering social distancing outdoors.

This could lend itself to 'that other forum' but many places have reported this story about de Blasio instructions to contact tracers to not proactively ask people if they've been to a protest.

Posted (edited)

Went to Costco in Clearwater, FL today - best I could tell, 100% mask wearing by everyone there. I’d say >90% at Target. 

Edited by Blue Dot Orange Dot
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Blue Dot Orange Dot said:

Went to Costco in Clearwater, FL today - best I could tell, 100% mask wearing by everyone there. I’d say >90% at Target. 

Doesn't Costco still require masks?

18 minutes ago, Faust said:

Kayleigh McEnany is actually pretty good at her job, She has so much garbage from Trump to deal with, but overall, she is way more succesful than Huckabee Sanders or Mooch or whatever the otheer dozen press secraties that came before