Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

1 minute ago, Dezbelief said:

Maybe the places you go to treat your chronic lung, heart or kidney damage won't require a mask.

Is this shtick? I am asking a legit question. 

Looks like this lesson is one a lot of people apparently want to learn the hard way. It's so simple to isolate for a few weeks, wash hands, and avoid people, especially those showing symptoms, but nope, 3 weeks was apparently enough.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, derek245583 said:

Is this shtick? I am asking a legit question. 

Halfway, there are healthy people getting permanent damage from this virus.

If you get a covid infection most likely the antibodies you develop will protect you from a future infection. How long and how effectively your antibodies will protect you is not known right now.

Edited by Dezbelief

1 minute ago, Dezbelief said:

If you get a covid infection most likely the antibodies you develop will protect you from a future infection. How long and how effectively your antibodies will protect you is not known right now.

So it's unclear if once you have it you can't get it again? Which in turn decides wether you can pass it on?

We really haven't figured that out yet?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, derek245583 said:

So it's unclear if once you have it you can't get it again? Which in turn decides wether you can pass it on?

Correct, there is no conclusive evidence yet.

Edited by Dezbelief

2 minutes ago, derek245583 said:

It’s in the same family as the common cold, how many times have you had that in your life?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CR69 said:

It’s in the same family as the common cold, how many times have you had that in your life?

a bunch

Cold significantly worse than covid for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, derek245583 said:

a bunch

Did you test positive? What was your experience? Did several people in your daily life get it?

Edited by Dezbelief

4 minutes ago, derek245583 said:

a bunch

A lot of it has to do with the viral load. When the first started, I saw an acquaintance end up in the hospital for two weeks. Dude is in his 30’s and is heavy into CrossFit. He lost like 30 pounds. The before and after photos looked like one of those PSAs for meth. That scared the hell out of me. 

NYC likely was so bad because the virus was already overrunning the city before anyone noticed. Testing was so poor that actual cases were many times higher which allowed it to hit the highly vulnerable populations and lead to the massive death doubts.

What were seeing now in Arizona, Florida and Texas is a lot of younger to middle aged people getting it likely due to Memorial Day fun and soon from protests. These by themselves may not lead to massive deaths but left unchecked it will get to the people most likely to die.

Now is the time to act because the Fourth of July is coming up and if there’s uncontrolled spread, another NYC may happen. AZ is taking steps forward with mask mandates, but who knows if that will be enough.

1 hour ago, Joe Summer said:

This article is a few days old but I did a search and didn't find anything, so...

British scientists say common steroid can help save severely ill coronavirus patients

Is dexamethasone what we all hoped hydroxychloriquine would be?

The study results are good but hardly ground breaking. Steroids are known to be effective in breathing issues and a few interviews with COVID doctors, they said Dexamethasone has already been a part of treatment in the US. It certainly isn’t a wonder drug that will change precautions for protection. But it may help to reduce deaths and that could be huge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

This article is a few days old but I did a search and didn't find anything, so...

British scientists say common steroid can help save severely ill coronavirus patients

Is dexamethasone what we all hoped hydroxychloriquine would be?

I don’t think this will ultimately pan out.  Steroids have been studied for ARDS and viral infections numerous times, generally a very mild treatment effect except in very specific circumstances. Hard to believe corona will be the exception given the track record.  But I certainly hope it is.

It’s very very important to keep mind that there is literally hundreds of studies being conducted of multiple different therapies.  Just by random chance some will show an effect based on the usual p value that is required to have a “positive outcome” even if theoretically all the therapies are not actually truly helpful. I can’t stress how important this is.  I would be shocked if there weren’t a dozen ongoing studies of steroids in Covid worldwide. Even if it’s not helpful at all, statistics will dictate that it’s possible one or some would be positive.  It’s the confirmatory studies that truly matter. 

• Thanks 1

To date I personally know of 14 people that have died from it, only one older than 50. I don't know of anyone dying from the flu.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

6 minutes ago, Penguin said:

To date I personally know of 14 people that have died from it, only one older than 50. I don't know of anyone dying from the flu.

Am I reading this right?  13 out of 14 people you know that have died of COVID are under 50?  Where do you live?

Yes, New Jersey

11 minutes ago, Penguin said:

3 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Am I reading this right?  13 out of 14 people you know that have died of COVID are under 50?  Where do you live?

yeah that's approximately .56% of all deaths in the US under 50 from COVID.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex (they report 45-55, so I split that in half...which is probably generous)

• Like 1

The only over 50 was my sons grandmother (her mother not mine) and she caught it from my son,. An ex girlfriend of my was an early NYC victim back on February 28th. She was 44 years old in good health with no underlying conditions.

2 minutes ago, Penguin said:

The only over 50 was my sons grandmother (her mother not mine) and she caught it from my son,. An ex girlfriend of my was an early NYC victim back on February 28th. She was 44 years old in good health with no underlying conditions.

and the other 12?

1 minute ago, Penguin said:

Hope you don't mind if I get nit picky, but can you give age ranges of the 14?  Also, so sorry, dude.  To lose 14 in such a short time is crushing.

According to the CDC website, here are the percentages of COVID deaths by age category:

Under 1 year old = 0.005%
1 - 4 years = 0.005%
5 - 14 years = 0.01%
15 - 24 years = 0.12%
25 - 34 years = 0.68%
35 - 44 years = 1.72%
45 - 54 years = 4.82%
55 - 64 years = 11.91%
65 - 74 years = 20.77%
75 - 84 years = 26.64%
85 and over = 33.32%

These numbers really haven't changed since the outbreak began.  They are one of the main reasons many are calling the younger generations selfish and heartless.

1 minute ago, TheWinz said:

According to the CDC website, here are the percentages of COVID deaths by age category:

1 - 4 years = 0.005%
5 - 14 years = 0.01%
15 - 24 years = 0.12%
25 - 34 years = 0.68%
35 - 44 years = 1.72%
45 - 54 years = 4.82%
55 - 64 years = 11.91%
65 - 74 years = 20.77%
75 - 84 years = 26.64%
85 and over = 33.32%

These numbers really haven't changed since the outbreak began.  They are one of the main reasons many are calling the younger generations selfish and heartless.

And the main reason I call 65+ restaurant goers and maskless shoppers reckless. 

2 minutes ago, culdeus said:

And the main reason I call 65+ restaurant goers and maskless shoppers reckless. 

I am constantly amazed at how many older folks I see without masks on at our local grocery store. I just have to shake my head. I just assume they have miserable lives and are fine with dying. Starting tomorrow, I'll see zero. But as the new mandate isn't in place until then and we need to shop today, we'll have one last observation day to gauge the makeup of the idiot population.

8 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

I am constantly amazed at how many older folks I see without masks on at our local grocery store. I just have to shake my head. I just assume they have miserable lives and are fine with dying. Starting tomorrow, I'll see zero. But as the new mandate isn't in place until then and we need to shop today, we'll have one last observation day to gauge the makeup of the idiot population.

Blows my mind. Went to Target yesterday to pick up a few things for a birthday party. Saw maybe 80% mask wearing. The 20% who weren’t were largely older (55-70) and a few teenagers. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Fan said:

and the other 12?

He lost 14 friends and relatives from Covid. Maybe we can stop interrogating him as though he committed a crime rather then just providing his perspective. The politicization of this epidemic has caused some of the worst traits in people to surface in some people. Maybe the move here isn’t to start an argument or debate, but to offer sympathy and condolences like an actual human being.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

On 6/19/2020 at 12:21 PM, Ilov80s said:

I don’t think we have the money for that. We are taking a massive hit on sales tax this year and probably again next year. 

We have money for that, we always have money for that...we just never use it for that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dezbelief said:

Did you test positive? What was your experience? Did several people in your daily life get it?

Yes, almost nothing. Maybe a headache for a day.

Nobody in my personal life.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CR69 said:

A lot of it has to do with the viral load. When the first started, I saw an acquaintance end up in the hospital for two weeks. Dude is in his 30’s and is heavy into CrossFit. He lost like 30 pounds. The before and after photos looked like one of those PSAs for meth. That scared the hell out of me. 

Couple of younger guys ended up in hospital. Both large dudes...very unhealthy. Both good now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

He lost 14 friends and relatives from Covid. Maybe we can stop interrogating him as though he committed a crime rather then just providing his perspective. The politicization of this epidemic has caused some of the worst traits in people to surface in some people. Maybe the move here isn’t to start an argument or debate, but to offer sympathy and condolences like an actual human being.

Because it’s statistically improbable when looking at the age stratifications of deaths for one person to know that many under 50.  

• Like 2

I've been out to dine a couple of time in the Charlotte area and felt pretty safe.  Last night I went out to eat in the liberal capital of the southeast and the servers and cooks weren't wearing masks.  Wait staff was getting three feet from my face.  I won't be going back there.

2 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Because it’s statistically improbable when looking at the age stratifications of deaths for one person to know that many under 50.  

Not really.  It depends on your definition of "know".

10 hours ago, Dezbelief said:

Healthy people can die from the flu.  That seems like some really bad permanent damage too.

10 hours ago, CR69 said:

Speaking of CrossFit.

My ####### cousin - 43 year old, severely overweight with some sort of autoimmune disease, is way into CrossFit. Her overweight husband is too. I am way proud of them, for they seem to be trying to improve their health. However, they are not there yet, and still struggle with overeating and their love for CrossFit goes very hot and cold.

Well - their gym in Ohio opened up (unsure when), and she is posting videos of them doing their CrossFit challenges (don't know what they are called) from the past few days. Hundreds of people inside lifting tires and #### over their heads and screaming and yelling. A good chunk of them not in the best shape. No masks. No distancing. A lot of sweating and coughing and yelling.

Ugh

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Not really.  It depends on your definition of "know".

Show me your calculations.  I’ll wait with bated breath.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, raidergil said:

I do not understand the reluctance to wearing masks.  I'm in Rochester, NY & our guidance is (has been) based off of NYC so, for the most part, it is mandatory masks in stores etc.  Almost everyone is very compliant so I'm pissed when I see the occasional outlier.  I see it as being disrespectful to everyone around you.  

Uh, maybe because the WHO said it wasn’t necessary for healthy people.

8 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Show me your calculations.  I’ll wait with bated breath.

122,000 dead x 5% under 50 = 6100 people that fit into that category.  Pretty easy to "know of" 14 of them if your socially active.

1 hour ago, beer 30 said:

We have money for that, we always have money for that...we just never use it for that.

Sure we have money but what do we cut for that? 

2 hours ago, TheWinz said:

1 - 4 years = 0.005%
5 - 14 years = 0.01%
15 - 24 years = 0.12%
25 - 34 years = 0.68%
35 - 44 years = 1.72%
45 - 54 years = 4.82%
55 - 64 years = 11.91%
65 - 74 years = 20.77%
75 - 84 years = 26.64%
85 and over = 33.32%

For not dying?  

34 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

122,000 dead x 5% under 50 = 6100 people that fit into that category.  Pretty easy to "know of" 14 of them if your socially active.

That's the whole country.  

27 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Sure we have money but what do we cut for that? 

How about defense.  Just a thought. 

Posted (edited)

My stepsister is friends with a nurse in the Opelika/Auburn area of Alabama, which is apparently a new hot spot. She said her friend is a nurse, handles the Covid report submission for her hospital, has tested twice, and knows she’s has been counted twice. Couple that with another story she knows, where a woman has tested positive 6 times with a nasal swab... did she get counted 6 times? That woman has tested positive for 3 weeks with zero symptoms, regardless. Her doctor has argued she should be allowed to work and questions the validity of the tests her job is using.

I started to post late last night, but I wanted to confirm some details with her before I posted here. She’s an accountant and her husband is a professor. I don’t know why I feel the need to qualify their status, but I know this anecdote will be met with scrutiny here. 

Edited by jplvr
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jplvr said:

My stepsister is friends with a nurse in the Opelika/Auburn area of Alabama, which is apparently a new hot spot. She said her friend is a nurse, handles the Covid report submission for her hospital, has tested twice, and knows she’s has been counted twice. Couple that with another story she knows, where a woman has tested positive 6 times with a nasal swab... did she get counted 6 times? That woman has tested positive for 3 weeks with zero symptoms, regardless. Her doctor has argued she should be allowed to work and questions the validity of the tests her job is using.

I started to post late last night, but I wanted to confirm some details with her before I posted here. She’s an accountant and her husband is a professor. I don’t know why I feel the need to qualify their status, but I know this anecdote will be met with scrutiny here. 

I'm sure there are odd reporting snafus everywhere, it's certainly not a perfect process.  Not sure why anyone would scrutinize your story.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, culdeus said:

How about defense.  Just a thought. 

I don’t think the State of Michigan has a large defense budget.

On 6/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, IvanKaramazov said:

I think what we learned from the protests is that the virus doesn't spread very well outdoors

Not enough time yet for this event to show in the stats.  

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

That's the whole country.  

He's from NY/NJ where a large % of the under 50 deaths were. 

The Rt Live website made great strides with their recent updates, but it's still a bit wonky.  CT is rocking now, as the site shows, but we sucked balls 2 months ago.  I have a spreadsheet that I update daily, and we didn't start "winning" until a month ago.  I have noticed similar disparities with many states.  Arizona, for example, is showing as a bad state 3 months ago.  Yeah right.

jesus. glad I've stayed out of this bottom feeding inducing thread.

people accusing a guy who's said he lost 14 people he knows to this of lying? wtf is wrong with you people.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheWinz said:

1 - 4 years = 0.005%
5 - 14 years = 0.01%
15 - 24 years = 0.12%
25 - 34 years = 0.68%
35 - 44 years = 1.72%
45 - 54 years = 4.82%
55 - 64 years = 11.91%
65 - 74 years = 20.77%
75 - 84 years = 26.64%
85 and over = 33.32%

Interesting, how do you spin that from this data?

13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

jesus. glad I've stayed out of this bottom feeding inducing thread.

people accusing a guy who's said he lost 14 people he knows to this of lying? wtf is wrong with you people.

Yeah that's way ####### over the line. I thought the "grandma should die so my kid can play t-ball" guy would be impossible to beat but here we are. 

That being said, 90% of people in here seem to be compassionate and that gives me hope. ❤️ you guys. 

• Like 6