What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

This site has never been indicative of reality
huh?

Sure, in terms of overall view of people it's not a match to America as a whole, but that doesn't have anything to do with the comment "not a single person is taking this seriously..."  Unless the assertion is we are all lying.

Last edited by a moderator:
huh?

Sure, in terms of overall view of people it's not a match to America as a whole, but that doesn't have anything to do with the comment "not a single person is taking this seriously..."  Unless the assertion is we are all lying.
Do you take everything written as 100% literal Drax?

Have you compared Sweden's numbers to ours?

Cases per M - Sweden (7,071) vs USA (8,872)
Deaths per M - Sweden (537) vs USA (400)
Tests per M - Sweden (51,398) vs USA (111,670)

why not?  Doesn't fit your narrative?
See above. We've butchered this from the start and they're still crushing our death rate. You wish another 45k Americans were dead? Weird narrative. 

Under 5 years old - 1 of every 1.32M
5 thru 14 years - 1 of every 2.93M
15 thru 24 years - 1 of every 303K
25 thru 34 years - 1 of every 59K
35 thru 44 years - 1 of every 21K
45 thru 54 years - 1 of every 7.6K
55 thru 64 years - 1 of every 3.1K
65 thru 74 years - 1 of every 1.3K
75 thru 84 years - 1 of every 524
Over 85 years old - 1 of every 176
What numbers are these?

We had our oldest tested this weekend due to friends of friends getting sick while we were at the beach with close friends. We did a decent job since we had a house on the beach and had no one near our families, but we've heard of a bunch of testing and new cases in high schoolers hanging out. Seems to be a kid who went to our school and goes to a neighboring one who went to a graduation after party interacting with kids from both schools.

Not looking forward to having to do home schooling again. I just can't imagine they'll figure something out. It's a horrible setup and my two boys hated it. My 3rd in college and will be living on campus regardless in his apartment with friends and they are requiring everyone to get tested 5 days before school starts.

Were doctors using it before he mentioned it? Were they using it after he mentioned it? The answer to both is yes. The controversy was over who promoted it. That’s why the controversy was bs. 
Some doctors were, in an act of desperation. Much fewer are using it now, when part of a clinical trial, though many of those have stalled.

The president’s comments certainly influenced investors and laypeople, and a smattering of clinicians as well. But make no mistake, hydroxychloroquine has fallen out of favor because the data is lacking, not political rhetoric.

What numbers are these?
Overall death count in the US, as of 1 July, per CDC.  I decided to do the math, because I haven't seen it reported this way yet.  For example, there are roughly 41,080,000 people aged 5-14, and 14 deaths, which figures out to 1 death in every 2.93 million people.  At the other end of the spectrum, there are roughly 6,550,000 people over 85, and 37,247 deaths, which figures out to 1 death in every 176 people.

They are an OK example of decreased mitigation efforts, but they don’t compare well to surrounding countries with cultural similarities that have been more restrictive.

And I doubt they behave like Americans when given more personal responsibility to look out for the common good.

Some doctors were, in an act of desperation. Much fewer are using it now, when part of a clinical trial, though many of those have stalled.

The president’s comments certainly influenced investors and laypeople, and a smattering of clinicians as well. But make no mistake, hydroxychloroquine has fallen out of favor because the data is lacking, not political rhetoric.
I’m only arguing the first part of your second paragraph. 

I shared on here in the past about a thread I watched go down on a different forum where an admitted Trump supporting, NYC doctor was telling a forum full of conservatives he was using it in his hospital, but it was not working for his patients. They were only using it for severe cases. He got blasted anyway. 

I don’t deny the President’s culpability either. If he would stop being antagonistic with the antagonistic press, they wouldn’t make a mountain out of a molehill, which is what happened here. 

I know the risks with HCQ as well. My sister has Lupus, and it changed her life for the better. My cousin’s wife has Lupus, and she manages without it because she is worried about the side effects. 

In the words of Barney Stinson, challenge accepted.  I bet we could infect 200M in a few days.
Mathematically, yes. If we got doubling time down to 3 days or so, it would take roughly a month. But the population is so spread out it can’t happen nearly that quickly, and Rt peters out as the threshold for herd immunity is reached.

Mathematically, yes. If we got doubling time down to 3 days or so, it would take roughly a month. But the population is so spread out it can’t happen nearly that quickly, and Rt peters out as the threshold for herd immunity is reached.
All we have to do is have another Hands Across America, but this time we can say it's illegal to participate.  I bet we get 200M in one day!

Always been fascinated with Sweden’s approach and to see what happens with the virus there. Deaths decreasing sharply since May while cases increased. Cases fell off a cliff in Late June and lowest 7-day death average since it began in March. So without lockdowns, business closures and kids staying in school, is this showing the virus just dies out? Herd immunity much less than the 70%-80% often cited?
First of all, they don’t have herd immunity.

Second, Sweden had much more collective buy-in from people to social distance.  They also banned large groups.

The idea they did nothing isn’t accurate 

IvanKaramazov said:
I like my coworkers, but I don't want to see them or talk to them on the weekend.
Mrs has to a Friday Mixer couple times a year and it's the worst...you've already seen these people for 40-50+ hours that week, what could you possibly want to talk about over a mixed drink? And you can't indulge too much for fear of blurting out things while you get buzzed. 

It's equivalent to being on a date at the Drive-In with your HS sweetheart and your mom tags along in the backseat.

They are an OK example of decreased mitigation efforts, but they don’t compare well to surrounding countries with cultural similarities that have been more restrictive.

And I doubt they behave like Americans when given more personal responsibility to look out for the common good.
What caused the decline in deaths and recent sharp downward decline in new cases? 

I don't know, as I haven't been following their trends lately. The last I checked, they were nowhere near the herd immunity threshold though.
Right. I think recent antibody tests showed only 6%. That’s why I think Sweden matters a whole lot. Their data is pointing to either this thing just burns out over time, gets weaker or there is undecected immunity in populations that arrive at herd immunity faster than most thought. 

Right. I think recent antibody tests showed only 6%. That’s why I think Sweden matters a whole lot. Their data is pointing to either this thing just burns out over time, gets weaker or there is undecected immunity in populations that arrive at herd immunity faster than most thought. 
Or there are ebbs and flows in viral spread, corresponding to episodic super spreader events and transitions from urban to rural settings + mitigation efforts, whether government mandated or not.

There are certainly other potential confounders, including partial immunity induced by non-SARS viral infections and immunizations.

Regardless, how do you think the Swedish experience applies to the US?

Both countries bucked the hard-line government mandated true lock downs that other, similar and neighboring countries enacted.  Both countries were slow to recognize the crisis and act strongly and decisively.  And both are leading their peers in infections, deaths, etc.

Or there are ebbs and flows in viral spread, corresponding to episodic super spreader events and transitions from urban to rural settings + mitigation efforts, whether government mandated or not.

There are certainly other potential confounders, including partial immunity induced by non-SARS viral infections and immunizations.

The recent opening of US cities is being blamed for massive spikes in cases and driving the fear that the spikes will lead to massive death. Unless the US has some unique form of the virus it seems that other countries experiences, especially one who remained opened, are valuable in reducing panic if they show decreases of cases and death happen over time regardless of different mitigation efforts.

Sweden in particular because they never had to open since they never closed businesses. 

I also think the Sweden experience aligns more with the Oxford model which was rejected by the UK in favor of the lockdown approach recommended by the Imperial College. Since our strategy was in part infomed by the Imperial College model it would be nice to find out who’s theory was correct for the future.

On a serious note, I was surprised it’s still higher than other states.  The cases from 3-4 weeks ago are lining up with other states. One would assume the medical care is better and they have experience. I don’t think NY and Mass are disproportionately unhealthy. Leaves me wondering about the vitamin D theory 
Speaking of vitamin D, for all the changes we've tried to make as a society over this, I don't understand why there was and is very little talk in the media about trying to keep your immune system healthy.  Simple stuff, like getting enough sleep, lowering stress, maybe trying to up your vitamin D levels, etc.  I mean, it can't hurt, right?  Obviously your best bet is to avoid contracting the virus in the first place, but some percentage of people were always going to end up getting infected, and you would think given that they would try to encourage people to do what they could to keep their immune systems working as well as possible.

Speaking of vitamin D, for all the changes we've tried to make as a society over this, I don't understand why there was and is very little talk in the media about trying to keep your immune system healthy.  Simple stuff, like getting enough sleep, lowering stress, maybe trying to up your vitamin D levels, etc.  I mean, it can't hurt, right?  Obviously your best bet is to avoid contracting the virus in the first place, but some percentage of people were always going to end up getting infected, and you would think given that they would try to encourage people to do what they could to keep their immune systems working as well as possible.
You are talking about a nation that thinks it's to much effort to wear a mask. Do you really think you could get them to try and enhance an immune system?

You are talking about a nation that thinks it's to much effort to wear a mask. Do you really think you could get them to try and enhance an immune system?
I hear what you're saying, but it's not like there aren't other things that we try to educate people on for their own good.  Some won't listen (and unfortunately they will probably be disproportionately ignoring other guidance too), but some probably would, and if you're already doing your best to keep yourself from getting exposed, it's certainly more productive than worrying over things that you can't control.

Do you take everything written as 100% literal Drax?
Yes, let's call others names because they can't guess what you really mean.  :lol:

I tend to take what is written at face value.  Write what you mean and this isn't a problem.  There are many people concerned and doing the right things.
Yeah I live in a different bubble than jobarules.  Everybody that I interact with is taking this pretty seriously.  

Watching the national news, those of us taking it seriously are in the minority. Three weeks from now, the numbers are going to absolutely brutal.

Yeah I live in a different bubble than jobarules.  Everybody that I interact with is taking this pretty seriously.  
I wish that bubble were over my state....I wrote on this board at the very beginning of this fiasco that Florida was absolutely going to be a hotspot before this was over.  A large portion of the people here don't seem to care at all.  I also said once Vegas was open again, Nevada would be right up there.  I continue to say that the politicization of wearing a mask is probably THE dumbest political :hophead:  our country has ever experienced.  I feel like it's a dream some days.

I wish that bubble were over my state....I wrote on this board at the very beginning of this fiasco that Florida was absolutely going to be a hotspot before this was over.  A large portion of the people here don't seem to care at all.  I also said once Vegas was open again, Nevada would be right up there.  I continue to say that the politicization of wearing a mask is probably THE dumbest political :hophead:  our country has ever experienced.  I feel like it's a dream some days.
Same here in Texas. Hospitals are pretty much maxed and medical professionals have been PLEADING with the city to take it seriously. And it had absolutely no effect this weekend at all. I am simply stunned.

But they did demonstrate pretty conclusively that it's apparently pretty hard to contract covid in an outdoor setting.  It also sounds like the fomite vector was grossly overblown at the beginning of this.  Indoor air seems to be the main thing.
Yep, but I wonder how something like an outdoor event with a lot of common surfaces (like a sports game) would be

Same here in Texas. Hospitals are pretty much maxed and medical professionals have been PLEADING with the city to take it seriously. And it had absolutely no effect this weekend at all. I am simply stunned.
I think they messed up the messaging and all the focus seemed to be on the bars and not gatherings in general.

It can’t hurt, but making those recommendations is a bit of witchcraft. For example, there is no medical definition of “stress”, nor ideal amount of sleep. And how does one quantify a healthy immune system? Even vitamin D supplementation is a little controversial.

I think it’s far more important to emphasize tried-and-true NPI, as those target a healthy society rather than optimizing individual health. While the latter message is certainly important, we’ve already got enough people focusing on their relatively low risk of death from Covid-19 and ignoring vulnerable populations.

Majority want to complain about the economic impact of the shutdowns and revolt against them. Then reopenings happen and people can’t control themselves. Thus why shutdowns were needed. People are idiots. 

I think they messed up the messaging and all the focus seemed to be on the bars and not gatherings in general.
There's no message you could send that these idiots would listen too. We've had weeks of proof that they are basically incapable of rational thought. I blame our Mayor and law enforcement some. They Mayor knows we are chock full of idiots and they pleaded for the Governor to give them the power to enforce individual mask rules. And now that they have it, they are playing the "We want to educate, not fine them" card. i.e. They got the power and now are utterly afraid to use it. So, people continue to do what they want to do, which is gather and forego masks.

The recent opening of US cities is being blamed for massive spikes in cases and driving the fear that the spikes will lead to massive death. Unless the US has some unique form of the virus it seems that other countries experiences, especially one who remained opened, are valuable in reducing panic if they show decreases of cases and death happen over time regardless of different mitigation efforts.

Sweden in particular because they never had to open since they never closed businesses. 

I also think the Sweden experience aligns more with the Oxford model which was rejected by the UK in favor of the lockdown approach recommended by the Imperial College. Since our strategy was in part infomed by the Imperial College model it would be nice to find out who’s theory was correct for the future.

Get back to me in a month or so. But clarify your definition of “massive” death first.

Even given the US’ numbers to date, would you argue we’ve chosen the correct mitigation strategy in comparison to countries like S. Korea, who also didn’t shutter their economy significantly?

Surely matuski’s surgical colleagues aren’t concerned yet? They’re probably planning on opening up a satellite OR in Mexico.

Actual conversation at a healthcare facility I've been helping at on weekends the last few months:

Several employees to armed security officer: "Masks are mandated"

Armed security: "I'm supposed to do a lot of things"

Employees: "Again, they're mandatory and can be fined for not wearing one"

Armed security guy: "That's ok. I'll shoot em"

All over wearing a mask. Employees went dead silent when he made the comment. Thankfully the "security" is gone. Sad there's people so inconsiderate  (This guy coughs and coughs and coughs....supposedly "allergies" according to him.......not that it should matter). Wasn't some kid. Late 50's gun nut with a few screws loose. I really don't know how he (had) been working security supposedly for 20-something years or able to carry period.

Yep, but I wonder how something like an outdoor event with a lot of common surfaces (like a sports game) would be
I think the air can get pretty stagnant inside stadiums, and there are many partially enclosed choke points where crowds congregate like entryways, concession stands and restrooms. Plus a lot of drunk, belligerent people.

Surely matuski’s surgical colleagues aren’t concerned yet? They’re probably planning on opening up a satellite OR in Mexico.
I haven't had the ability to see one of Matsuki's anecdotal evidence-based posts in quite awhile, so I assure you I have no clue what his thoughts may be. 

I haven't had the ability to see one of Matsuki's anecdotal evidence-based posts in quite awhile, so I assure you I have no clue what his thoughts may be. 
Basically, none of his physician friends are concerned, hospital staff think masking is a joke and elective OR procedures are more important than containing the virus.

And it's good time for indoor drunken revelry with friends!

Basically, none of his physician friends are concerned, hospital staff think masking is a joke and elective OR procedures are more important than containing the virus.

And it's good time for indoor drunken revelry with friends!
Don’t know what ORs he’s at but I can assure you the one I work in think none of those things. Pretty much just tired of taking care of stupid people. 

Users who are viewing this thread