What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

In the hardest hit areas in Florida, namely, Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, officials have taken more action than elsewhere in Florida. And mask usage in stores is near 100%. Obviously, it's not enough as the virus continues to spread. Other factors are at play such as poverty, living density, types of jobs, protests, etc. Contact tracing is still poor so these are mainly conjectures at this point.

ER doctors in South Florida have said that patients are coming in earlier with less severe symptoms, standard of care has improved and patients are much younger than earlier and length of stay is much less. Overall death rate has declined dramatically, but deaths could be offset by an increase in positive cases. Time will tell. Also, just keeping the total deaths in Florida between 35 and 50 (7-day moving average), as it has been for 2 months, is not acceptable.

There should be strict national standards for contact tracing, so we can better guide decisions. The government and NIH are throwing lots of money at this, what's another couple of billion. 

Contact tracing in Florida: https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1279826497482764290
Less severe symptoms and shorter ICU stays is a direct result of younger patients, in my opinion.

Today the median age for Florida's cases was 38.  That number is, slowly, rising. 38 is the median age for the USA, but the median age for Florida is 42.  So as more and more older ones get it, symptoms will be more severe, and the length of stay will be longer.  That's just how this virus works.

Also, I'd love to get some perspective from other South Florida folks regarding mask usage in stores.  Is it really near 100%? If so, that's great news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several counties in Florida are mandating masks now with similar caveats to previous mandates.  Indoors.  If you can't distance.  Etc.  Basically left up to discretion, which isn't particularly effective. 

I was in Sam's Club Thursday afternoon prior the the 5 pm mask mandate going into effect in my county.  Seemed like all the people who weren't planning on wearing one were in there loading up for the holiday weekend prior to it being effective.  Sad, really.  Older folks.  Clearly unhealthy folks.  I don't get it.  Maybe 50% compliance?

Several counties in Florida are mandating masks now with similar caveats to previous mandates.  Indoors.  If you can't distance.  Etc.  Basically left up to discretion, which isn't particularly effective. 

I was in Sam's Club Thursday afternoon prior the the 5 pm mask mandate going into effect in my county.  Seemed like all the people who weren't planning on wearing one were in there loading up for the holiday weekend prior to it being effective.  Sad, really.  Older folks.  Clearly unhealthy folks.  I don't get it.  Maybe 50% compliance?
Older people are for sure the ones I see using masks rarely.  If over 75 this thing does not #### around.  Yet here we are.

I think it really depends where you are in FL with how serious people are taking this.

For example, we were in Boca Grande last week and the majority of people had masks on.  Some stores even required them for entry.

But if you go to other places like Fort Myers Beach, people are definitely like, "haha, yeah, whatevs".
This seems sort of damning with faint praise, "some" stores requiring masks should be classified under non-compliance with safety procedures, because it should be all stores. Kind of how it feels when I go to Vegas and see people smoking indoors - it has been banned so long here it feels completely alien to see. 

Less severe symptoms and shorter ICU stays is a direct result of younger patients, in my opinion.

Today the median age for Florida's cases was 38.  That number is, slowly, rising. 38 is the median age for the USA, but the median age for Florida is 42.  So as more and more older ones get it, symptoms will be more severe, and the length of stay will be longer.  That's just how this virus works.

Also, I'd love to get some perspective from other South Florida folks regarding mask usage in stores.  Is it really near 100%? If so, that's great news.
I have no numbers for this, but it feels like the start of this wave of spread was mostly younger people partying and such starting around memorial day. The median age will start low which will show a lower death rate per infection, but there will then be a lagging death wave of older people who catch it from these younger people. 

Update:  he was diagnosed 7 days ago, had mild symptoms, and has been symptom-free for the past 4 days, I believe.  He'll get retested here in another week or so, and then get back to work/life.  Awesome.

Assuming there is a genetic component to susceptibility, his experience augurs well for me should I catch it.  Viral load being a key variable of course.  We are of similar age and are both fairly fit.  I'm older at 50, but am slightly fitter.
On the genetic component.  It's something that really needs more study.  Here locally, a 19-year old seemingly healthy young man is on a ventilator, being transferred to New Orleans for ECHMO treatment in a last-ditch effort to save his life.  He is a triplet, and one of the others is also critical in the local hospital.  The third is not infected.  The fact that two 19-year olds who are genetically identical are in such terrible shape while most in the same age cohort are asymptomatic or barely sick strongly suggests genetics are major player. 

This seems sort of damning with faint praise, "some" stores requiring masks should be classified under non-compliance with safety procedures, because it should be all stores. Kind of how it feels when I go to Vegas and see people smoking indoors - it has been banned so long here it feels completely alien to see. 

I have no numbers for this, but it feels like the start of this wave of spread was mostly younger people partying and such starting around memorial day. The median age will start low which will show a lower death rate per infection, but there will then be a lagging death wave of older people who catch it from these younger people. 
This is unavoidable if the virus continues to spread.  The low median age is a great thing if states react quickly.  But if states don't react quickly, it's ultimately not that big of a deal, as the age will naturally drift towards the median.

It appears states are going to try to beat this thing with mask orders, as opposed to shutdowns.  I have no idea what to expect on that front.  Time will tell.

At the tail end of a 10 day trip to Yellowstone / Grand Teton National Parks. I figure this place might be a pretty good representation of the US as a whole, as least the part of it that has the interest and ability to drive a long way to visit national parks. License places from everywhere, it’s oddly fun to glance at them in the parking lots and see just how far some folks have driven.

We come from an area that has had very high mask compliance for months, so I’ve been curious and a bit anxious to see how it would be here. In reading message boards and Facebook groups for trip planning and prep, a lot of people were complaining that virtually no one was wearing masks, inside or outside, just 2-3 weeks ago.

But I’ve been pleasantly surprised to see how many are wearing them here. Within the parks they are mandated indoors in gift shops and food places (all takeout only, no indoor restaurants), 100% compliance, and I didn’t see any whining. But even outside, just walking around the boardwalks looking at geysers, I’d say about 30-40% of people wore them, a lot more than I expected, and frankly not necessary in most cases, it was easy to stay 6ft apart and there were always breezes blowing. Unless you were in a crowd sitting and waiting for Old Faithful, I don’t think you could catch Covid outside just walking around here if you tried.

We’re now in Jackson WY and it’s much higher here, I’d say 75% wearing masks walking around outside, 100% indoors. Though the town just a few days ago passed a mandatory mask ordinance when inside, but from what I’ve heard most stores had already set their own requirements weeks ago. 

It’s made me feel a bit better about where we are as a country with masks, though again, certainly not a full representation. And who knows, maybe people were being extra careful when traveling and will ditch the masks when they get home. 

People are, in general, stupid.  They don't get, nor has their leadership really explained, the point of masks.  
If the messaging has to be bowdlerized anyway ... the messaging maybe should be "COVID-19 spreads by people breathing. People without symptoms can spread it this way just as easily as people with symptoms, so we can't tell who's spreading it. Face coverings of all types -- that completely cover your nose and mouth -- protect everyone: you, your family and friends, and everyone in your community".

Arizona’s case total continue to be limited by the testing restrictions. They’ve been very consistently 25% positive for the last week or so only seeing rises with rises in testing. Acute care, ICU and ventilators use for COVID cases continue it hit highs but overall percentage of capacity remains steady. Seems that they are focusing on getting non-COVID cases out.

Also seeing large number of daily discharges for COVID cases but still being outpaced by new admits. This might be a good sign that they are seeing more cases that they think can be managed at home. It could also be a bad thing and indicate they are using crisis care protocol and sending people home who have less chance of surviving.

Only a few deaths the last couple days, but that is very consistent with previous Sunday/Monday reporting. The number of deaths tomorrow and Wednesday will be very telling of where the state is at.

If the messaging has to be bowdlerized anyway ... the messaging maybe should be "COVID-19 spreads by people breathing. People without symptoms can spread it this way just as easily as people with symptoms, so we can't tell who's spreading it. Face coverings of all types -- that completely cover your nose and mouth -- protect everyone: you, your family and friends, and everyone in your community".
I think the breathing part is the most effective. I think a lot of people still think the only way you’re gonna get it is if someone coughs or sneezing right on you.

I truly hope it is mocking and trolling. But the more I see of people's behavior despite the effects it has on the nation, I'm really starting to wonder if the average mental capacity of many in this nation is really just that low. Logic, cognitive skill and reason just seem so absolutely lacking on such a large scale, I'm not sure I can believe it is all just schtick.
surely you are not really just starting to wonder, or even wondering at all, really.

at issue at least equally, i think, is empathy capacity.

how's that for a useless observation?

:goodposting:   I don't get this whole "we're not locking down again" thing I see sometimes... if COVID gets out of hand we're absolutely locking down again, precisely because people can't be trusted to collectively keep COVID under control otherwise. The whole arc of this was entirely predictable months ago: 
Pay closer attention to Florida to understand it.  We aren't locking down...we never really did.  Not only will we not go back to the pseudo "lockdown" we had before if anyone "shuts down" it will be because local municipalities decided to and then it will be "recommended".  About as aggressive as you'll see here in Florida is shutting down beaches.  Fourth of July the beaches from West Palm south basically shut down....as a result, the beaches by me (central Florida) were at capacity by 9-10 am that day.

I think the breathing part is the most effective. I think a lot of people still think the only way you’re gonna get it is if someone coughs or sneezing right on you.
Yep, that and "touching stuff". At this point, I'm comfortable advising people in my life that groceries can't spread COVID-19. Technically ... yeah, it can if a carrier hocks loogies all over a tin can -- and then I immediately take that same tin can, smash it up into my nose and take hyperventilating deep breaths of the loogies ... then yeah, I might maybe have a 1% chance of getting COVID-19 that way**.

I'm not even sure that touching one's own face is a real factor in transmission, and that's something people are still going on and on about. Also had been an excuse to get away from masks: "You'll touch your face adjusting your mask ... and then you'll be sorry!"

Wash/sanitize your hands like a madman (dozens of times per day) ... then you can touch your face, rub your eyes, fiddle with your face covering etc. with reckless abandon**. Just about.

** Exaggerating to make a point. It's hard to catch COVID-19 from groceries ... but don't be gross. Wash your hands about twice as often as you think you need to. Maybe more. Be overbearing about personal hand cleanliness.

On the genetic component.  It's something that really needs more study.  Here locally, a 19-year old seemingly healthy young man is on a ventilator, being transferred to New Orleans for ECHMO treatment in a last-ditch effort to save his life.  He is a triplet, and one of the others is also critical in the local hospital.  The third is not infected.  The fact that two 19-year olds who are genetically identical are in such terrible shape while most in the same age cohort are asymptomatic or barely sick strongly suggests genetics are major player. 
This was interesting pertaining to genetics.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html

Who/what is the weakest link in your home to prevent contracting this?

For example, I work from home and when I do venture out I'm vigilant about social distancing and wearing a mask, so I'm low risk.  My wife is a SAHM who ventures out on occasion and while probably not as strict as I am with social distancing and wearing a mask, is still low risk.  However, she has two daughters who don't live at home and don't take this as seriously as we do.  They also work in offices with other people and have boyfriends who do the same.  I would classify them as moderate or even high risk.  Since those daughters come over for visits, I consider them our weakest link.  In the back of my head I think it's a mistake to not be SDing and wearing masks around them.  What would you all do in this situation?

Pay closer attention to Florida to understand it.  We aren't locking down...we never really did.  Not only will we not go back to the pseudo "lockdown" we had before if anyone "shuts down" it will be because local municipalities decided to and then it will be "recommended".  About as aggressive as you'll see here in Florida is shutting down beaches.  Fourth of July the beaches from West Palm south basically shut down....as a result, the beaches by me (central Florida) were at capacity by 9-10 am that day.
We never truly locked down and it isn’t going to happen.  Americans are not going to be inconvenienced even with the semi-lockdown again.   This thing is going to play out for good or bad with many folks out and about in great numbers no matter how you feel about lockdowns.   

Yep. Mask + fastidious hand hygiene is plenty for someone with average exposure risk. If it remained infectious in the air for several hours, wafted over grocery store aisles, transferred readily from mail, etc., we’d all be infected by now.
Sound familiar @Doug B?
Yep. That was not long after breathing & stale indoor air reached consensus as the prime transmission vector.

For all intents and purposes, COVID-19 needs to be fought much more like an airborne virus, and much less like influenza.

For example, I work from home and when I do venture out I'm vigilant about social distancing and wearing a mask, so I'm low risk.  My wife is a SAHM who ventures out on occasion and while probably not as strict as I am with social distancing and wearing a mask, is still low risk.  However, she has two daughters who don't live at home and don't take this as seriously as we do.  They also work in offices with other people and have boyfriends who do the same.  I would classify them as moderate or even high risk.  Since those daughters come over for visits, I consider them our weakest link.  In the back of my head I think it's a mistake to not be SDing and wearing masks around them.  What would you all do in this situation?
If you had a heart-to-heart with your daughters on the phone ... do you think it would be a problem to simply ask them to wear masks in/at your home for the sake of you and your wife? Or are you pretty sure they'd react poorly or feel put out or something?

Yep, that and "touching stuff". At this point, I'm comfortable advising people in my life that groceries can't spread COVID-19. Technically ... yeah, it can if a carrier hocks loogies all over a tin can -- and then I immediately take that same tin can, smash it up into my nose and take hyperventilating deep breaths of the loogies ... then yeah, I might maybe have a 1% chance of getting COVID-19 that way**.

I'm not even sure that touching one's own face is a real factor in transmission, and that's something people are still going on and on about. Also had been an excuse to get away from masks: "You'll touch your face adjusting your mask ... and then you'll be sorry!"

Wash/sanitize your hands like a madman (dozens of times per day) ... then you can touch your face, rub your eyes, fiddle with your face covering etc. with reckless abandon**. Just about.

** Exaggerating to make a point. It's hard to catch COVID-19 from groceries ... but don't be gross. Wash your hands about twice as often as you think you need to. Maybe more. Be overbearing about personal hand cleanliness.
I still wipe down the groceries to an extent. For me it’s about creating an extra barrier between my family and me/my work. Most of my shopping is done after working several hours of potential exposure. Along with showering and steaming my clothes, it’s a minor inconvenience that helps decrease the risk to my family.

I know it’s overkill and current research doesn’t support the need to do it, but I don’t want to look back and wish I would have done more.

We never truly locked down and it isn’t going to happen.  Americans are not going to be inconvenienced even with the semi-lockdown again.   This thing is going to play out for good or bad with many folks out and about in great numbers no matter how you feel about lockdowns.   
You're playing word games here.  Rolling lockdowns will happen, and people will abide by them when they do.  This isn't debatable.  Miami just stopped indoor dining.  That means that people CANNOT dine indoors now.  So yes, they are inconvenienced and there is nothing they can do about it.

If beaches get shut down, people will not be able to go to the beaches, thus they will be inconvenienced.  This isn't difficult.

Yes the USA never had a strict lockdown where it was illegal to leave your home, but no one has ever argued that this happened in the past, or should happen in the future.

'Covid Parties' Are Not A Thing

Why do these stories keep catching on? In part, it’s thanks to journalists’ long-standing and uncritical reliance on the pronouncements of public officials. These tales also reinforce existing stereotypes—anti-vaxxer hippies in rural Washington, MAGA bros in the Deep South—and may scratch a psychic itch among readers who already tend to pin responsibility for the ongoing pandemic on other people’s bad choices.
:hey: FFA!

I’m in a plane right now - need to travel for work. American Airlines. I’m in first class, so I at least have a little space. I’d estimate that 3/4 of middle seats are full in coach. I had no idea the flight would be this crowded. 

It’s about a 10 hour drive to where I’m going so I may just drive home. 

"Unfortunately, the @HealthyFla rep called me and attempted to do contact tracing for my Covid-19, but she: 1) Was unprofessional, 2) Her phone disconnected and I have not heard from them since last Thursday. If this is our tracking system, throw all of it in the trash basket."

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShevrinJones/status/1280156115477696512
The mayor of Phoenix was interviewed a couple days ago and admitted that contact tracing in Arizona is woefully inadequate and in most cases on the individual to make the contacts.

Living in Cape Canaveral.....I can attest to this :(....BAD news

Yep. That was not long after breathing & stale indoor air reached consensus as the prime transmission vector.

For all intents and purposes, COVID-19 needs to be fought much more like an airborne virus, and much less like influenza.
That’s exactly why a group of scientists are petitioning the WHO to change their guidelines:

The potential for Covid-19 to spread through airborne transmission by lingering in the air is being underplayed by the World Health Organization, a group of scientists have said.

In an open letter due to be published this week, 239 scientists from 32 countries call for greater acknowledgement of the role of airborne spread of Covid-19 and the need for governments to implement control measures.

WHO guidance states that the virus is transmitted primarily between people through respiratory droplets and contact. Aerosol transmission involves much smaller particles that can remain in the air for long periods of time and can be transmitted to others over distances greater than one metre.

Members of the WHO’s infection prevention committee have said that while aerosol transmission may play some role, there is overwhelming evidence that the primary routes of transmission are through direct contact and respiratory droplets expelled during coughing, sneezing or speech. They said introducing new measures to guard against aerosol transmission was unfeasible and unlikely to make much difference to the spread of infection.

The letter due to be published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases is authored by Lidia Morawska, of the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, and Donald Milton, of the University of Maryland, and has been endorsed by more than 200 scientists, including some who have been involved in drawing up the WHO’s advice.

They say emerging evidence, including from settings such as meat processing plants where there have been outbreaks, suggests that airborne transmission could be more important than the WHO has acknowledged.

Linsey Marr, an expert in airborne transmission of viruses at Virginia Tech and a co-signatory of the letter, told the New York Times that the WHO had relied on studies from hospitals that suggested low levels of virus in the air. This underestimated the risk, she said, because in most buildings “the air-exchange rate is usually much lower, allowing virus to accumulate in the air”.

The WHO says certain medical procedures, such as intubation, are known to raise the risk of aerosol transmission, but that outside of this context the evidence is less clear. “This is an area of active research,” the WHO says.

Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia and a member of the WHO’s infection prevention committee, said the WHO had struck the right balance in its advice.

“Aerosol transmission can occur but it probably isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things. It’s all about droplets,” he said. “Controlling airborne transmission isn’t going to do that much to control the spread of Covid-19. It’s going to impose unnecessary burdens, particularly in countries where they don’t have enough trained staff or resources already.”

If airborne transmission were shown to be a major factor, some experts have suggested it could be helpful to wear masks indoors, even in settings where social distancing is being enforced; that tighter regulations may be needed for ventilation and air conditioning to minimise recirculating air; and that it may even be appropriate to install UV lights in some buildings to guard against potentially infectious particles.
A revision of guidelines would imply changes in masking policy around the world. Even simple cloth masks can provide protection against droplet transmission, especially from an infected person, but only masks that can filter out sub-micron particles, like the N95 respirator, will be effective against aerosolized transmission. It might also lead to stricter physical distancing measures, especially indoors.

I still wipe down the groceries to an extent. For me it’s about creating an extra barrier between my family and me/my work. Most of my shopping is done after working several hours of potential exposure. Along with showering and steaming my clothes, it’s a minor inconvenience that helps decrease the risk to my family.

I know it’s overkill and current research doesn’t support the need to do it, but I don’t want to look back and wish I would have done more.
We still wipe down most stuff we bring in, particularly delivery.

'Covid Parties' Are Not A Thing

Why do these stories keep catching on? In part, it’s thanks to journalists’ long-standing and uncritical reliance on the pronouncements of public officials. These tales also reinforce existing stereotypes—anti-vaxxer hippies in rural Washington, MAGA bros in the Deep South—and may scratch a psychic itch among readers who already tend to pin responsibility for the ongoing pandemic on other people’s bad choices.
:hey: FFA!
It's like the voter fraud stories that are so prevalent.

Or the parent that worries about their kid sitting too close to the tv but being cool with that same kid being outside in the Summer without sun tan lotion, after driving to the beach in a vehicle with low tire pressure, and that kid not wearing their seat belt.  A lot of people are just really poor at understanding risks (especially health risks).

That's kinda my point though, that's a failure of leadership.  If your leaders actually shut things down, there wouldn't be some kind of massive revolt where the entire state refused to comply.  People would be pissed but things would lock down.  The fact that you haven't yet done that, and maybe won't do that, doesn't really change my point.  

That's kinda my point though, that's a failure of leadership.  If your leaders actually shut things down, there wouldn't be some kind of massive revolt where the entire state refused to comply.  People would be pissed but things would lock down.  The fact that you haven't yet done that, and maybe won't do that, doesn't really change my point.  
All I can say is "Florida Man" is real...so is "Florida Woman" and I think you are severely underestimating their prominence.  I'd love to be absolutely wrong about this, but if I had to bet, I'd be betting against you here.  Unfortunately, we'll never know, at least in this state....there's no turning back here.

I'll tell you exactly what we do, we don't have the kids or grandkids over. It sucks, especially for my wife. But our kids all have jobs that require them to go in, and we are higher risk due to age. We've simply told them, sorry, but we'll see you when we feel it is safe. We were almost there when the Governor went full on idiot and threw us right back to day one. Well, worse actually. But it really isn't that hard. I really can't understand why you would tolerate the behavior TBH.

That’s exactly why a group of scientists are petitioning the WHO to change their guidelines:
This is being pretty heavily publicized, but I have some pretty big questions concerning this. The data really seems to suggest that cloth mask use along with social distancing of about 6’ has pretty strong correlation with lower infection rates. If airborne transmission is as big as this group seems to imply, I would think that cloth masks and distancing of only 6’ would show very little effect. 

And are they actually talking about airborne transmission or are they really talking about aerosol transmission? As in, are they saying the virus comes out of us just suspended in air which would mean masks are virtually useless, or are they saying that droplets from the mouth/nose come out and are aerosolized as they move away from us? Because the former would be new and a whole different ballgame, the latter would be what we already pretty well believe. The key difference being that if it’s strictly airborne cloth masks won’t work. If it’s droplets becoming aersolized, cloth masks stop most large droplets before they have the chance to break up into microdroplets and aersolize.

I’m really interested to read what they actually have to say. I know the plan was to release it “later this week”, but now that they’ve teased the release, they really need to release it now so that everyone can evaluate it.

I’m also always wary when a letter/study/report is reported to be “signed by hundreds of scientists”. Ok, but what kind of scientists exactly and what is the exact research and specialty each of those scientists are a part of? Because I honestly don’t care what a paleontologist thinks about all of this.

At the tail end of a 10 day trip to Yellowstone / Grand Teton National Parks. I figure this place might be a pretty good representation of the US as a whole, as least the part of it that has the interest and ability to drive a long way to visit national parks. License places from everywhere, it’s oddly fun to glance at them in the parking lots and see just how far some folks have driven.

We come from an area that has had very high mask compliance for months, so I’ve been curious and a bit anxious to see how it would be here. In reading message boards and Facebook groups for trip planning and prep, a lot of people were complaining that virtually no one was wearing masks, inside or outside, just 2-3 weeks ago.

But I’ve been pleasantly surprised to see how many are wearing them here. Within the parks they are mandated indoors in gift shops and food places (all takeout only, no indoor restaurants), 100% compliance, and I didn’t see any whining. But even outside, just walking around the boardwalks looking at geysers, I’d say about 30-40% of people wore them, a lot more than I expected, and frankly not necessary in most cases, it was easy to stay 6ft apart and there were always breezes blowing. Unless you were in a crowd sitting and waiting for Old Faithful, I don’t think you could catch Covid outside just walking around here if you tried.

We’re now in Jackson WY and it’s much higher here, I’d say 75% wearing masks walking around outside, 100% indoors. Though the town just a few days ago passed a mandatory mask ordinance when inside, but from what I’ve heard most stores had already set their own requirements weeks ago. 

It’s made me feel a bit better about where we are as a country with masks, though again, certainly not a full representation. And who knows, maybe people were being extra careful when traveling and will ditch the masks when they get home. 
I do wonder if the south not wearing masks is really more about it being stifling and uncomfortable in the heat than it is about politics.  I imagine walking around Yellowstone or Jackson, WY is much easier than walking around in 90-100 degree heat with humidity. 

Just wanted to point out that my town actually implemented a mask requirement recently:

http://www.northescambia.com/2020/07/pensacola-council-affirms-mask-requirement-approves-fines-for-violations

While masks are "mandatory," I've seen the occasional person not complying, so not 100%, but definitely over 95%. I forgot my mask walking into a liquor store yesterday, and I didn't walk back to get it. I put it on for the grocery store a few minutes later.

Like I said, when people are discussing Florida, it's not like it's the wild west everywhere out here. My favorite beach bar shut down. I don't think it was mandatory. I hung out with friends on my boat one day, and on another boat for the 4th. We just anchored up at a beach and besides throwing a volleyball to a nearby boat, I didn't come into contact with anyone else. We did get take out from our favorite restaurant on the water, along with a pitcher of what they call a spicy margatini, which is phenomenal. They are currently take out only, and they even delivered to the end of the dock.

People keep harping on masks. Whatever happened to hand washing, sanitizer, and not touching your face? 

This is being pretty heavily publicized, but I have some pretty big questions concerning this. The data really seems to suggest that cloth mask use along with social distancing of about 6’ has pretty strong correlation with lower infection rates. If airborne transmission is as big as this group seems to imply, I would think that cloth masks and distancing of only 6’ would show very little effect. 

And are they actually talking about airborne transmission or are they really talking about aerosol transmission? As in, are they saying the virus comes out of us just suspended in air which would mean masks are virtually useless, or are they saying that droplets from the mouth/nose come out and are aerosolized as they move away from us? Because the former would be new and a whole different ballgame, the latter would be what we already pretty well believe. The key difference being that if it’s strictly airborne cloth masks won’t work. If it’s droplets becoming aersolized, cloth masks stop most large droplets before they have the chance to break up into microdroplets and aersolize.

I’m really interested to read what they actually have to say. I know the plan was to release it “later this week”, but now that they’ve teased the release, they really need to release it now so that everyone can evaluate it.

I’m also always wary when a letter/study/report is reported to be “signed by hundreds of scientists”. Ok, but what kind of scientists exactly and what is the exact research and specialty each of those scientists are a part of? Because I honestly don’t care what a paleontologist thinks about all of this.
I agree it’s a problematic stance. It seems like SARS-CoV-2 transmission falls somewhere on the droplet-aerosol continuum, but it isn’t exactly clear where. If they want to go all in on airborne transmission, that really implies protection from aerosol spread is optimal. Empirically we already know just about any face covering and droplet-based social distancing works pretty well, so I’ll be surprised if they suggest bigger space cushions and/or N95 masks for close encounters. 

I’m also eager to read the actual letter. Hopefully the “scientists” aren’t a bunch of bozos with unrelated PhDs, a la climate change deniers.

If you had a heart-to-heart with your daughters on the phone ... do you think it would be a problem to simply ask them to wear masks in/at your home for the sake of you and your wife? Or are you pretty sure they'd react poorly or feel put out or something?
If I were to ask my wife that her daughters take extra precautions if they come over, there would definitely be some complaining from the girls.  One already complains about how stupid all these restrictions are.  That said, they'd step in line.      

I’m in a plane right now - need to travel for work. American Airlines. I’m in first class, so I at least have a little space. I’d estimate that 3/4 of middle seats are full in coach. I had no idea the flight would be this crowded. 
It was pretty widely published that American was going to sell all seats going forward. It's a shame. We have a voucher with them that will go unused.

surely you are not really just starting to wonder, or even wondering at all, really.
Not really. Every once in awhile, I punish myself and read comments on Yahoo articles. That will, more quickly than anything else known to man,  let you know that the lowest common denominator is much more common than one would wish. It often makes me wonder if many people should really leave their homes without a helmet and elbow pads.

I do wonder if the south not wearing masks is really more about it being stifling and uncomfortable in the heat than it is about politics.  I imagine walking around Yellowstone or Jackson, WY is much easier than walking around in 90-100 degree heat with humidity. 
Meh. People spend the bulk of their time indoors with AC during that type of weather.

It wouldn’t be political if certain politicians didn’t invalidate mask use with their behavior.

New Orders in Miami closing a lot of restaurants and gyms will be closed down again. 

It's really a tough pill to swallow as Miami has been shutting things down since March...it's July and we're in "The Heat" but I don't doubt the number reported and as a Miami Native I know social distancing will never be followed down there/here. Very culturally diverse and different folks come from different places with different values and ideas...In fact one of the "Exceptions" to any mask order is you can abstain due to "Religion" which is a pretty loose circumvent if you ask me. 

Also Tampa ICUs are completely full at 4 hospitals. 

If I were to ask my wife that her daughters take extra precautions if they come over, there would definitely be some complaining from the girls.  One already complains about how stupid all these restrictions are.  That said, they'd step in line.      
Well, on the bright side, at least you now know clearly where you rate on their opinion of you. It is somewhere below the inconvenience of wearing a mask for an hour.

New Orders in Miami closing a lot of restaurants and gyms will be closed down again. 

It's really a tough pill to swallow as Miami has been shutting things down since March...it's July and we're in "The Heat" but I don't doubt the number reported and as a Miami Native I know social distancing will never be followed down there/here. Very culturally diverse and different folks come from different places with different values and ideas...In fact one of the "Exceptions" to any mask order is you can abstain due to "Religion" which is a pretty loose circumvent if you ask me. 

Also Tampa ICUs are completely full at 4 hospitals. 
Yeah one of our exceptions in TN mask orders is at church...which is literally the worst place to not have masks.  Churches themselves need to be 100% zoom right now, imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread