What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

It was pretty widely published that American was going to sell all seats going forward. It's a shame. We have a voucher with them that will go unused.
Oh I agree. I was just surprised to see that people actually paid for and sat in a middle seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in a plane right now - need to travel for work. American Airlines. I’m in first class, so I at least have a little space. I’d estimate that 3/4 of middle seats are full in coach. I had no idea the flight would be this crowded. 

It’s about a 10 hour drive to where I’m going so I may just drive home. 
Hey my friend, there's been a lot of noise about how full the planes are right now...I don't see how they can stop the spread into States when you see how Florida, Texas and Arizona are just being shredded with cases from all the tourists and folks traveling, I don't see how any States will be spared, it's just a matter of time before places everywhere have stay at home like orders for some period of time. 

Drive back, break it up into 5 hours one afternoon/early evening and then get on the road early next day and you will be back by Noon. I wouldn't get on a plane or travel thru an airport if you paid me ALL the T-Shirts from the exchange, you know what I mean? I don't believe the risk is worth it and if you have any pre-existing or perhaps North of a 40" waistline you might want to stay out of high traffic areas everywhere you can avoid it. 

-I'm serious, if you gas up, sanitize those hands. Any place you stop be super careful. 

Cheers Kutta, safe travels. 

Yeah one of our exceptions in TN mask orders is at church...which is literally the worst place to not have masks.  Churches themselves need to be 100% zoom right now, imo
To my knowledge local churches are not gathering down here...

I know half the congregation at Christ Fellowship, a local church I've never stepped foot in but get invited to all the time, lately no invites and they were having services online. 

One of my workmates lives in Michigan (we are all WFH employees). Glad to hear any good news out of Michigan (as long as it isn't relate to Wolverine sports).
We were doing spectacularly, probably the best in the country when you factor how bad things were in March and April. But with the loosening restrictions and summer came an uptick again. I guess we just have to find the right balancing act of keeping people safe but also allowing life to go on as much as possible. I am hoping we are close here in Michigan though with the fall will come a whole new set of challenges. 

Jobbie Nooner won't help our numbers
Nope and I am sure the 4th weekend will also add a little spike across the country. Hopefully, that spike is temporary and people are smart enough to stay away from elderly and sickly family members. 

We were doing spectacularly, probably the best in the country when you factor how bad things were in March and April. But with the loosening restrictions and summer came an uptick again. I guess we just have to find the right balancing act of keeping people safe but also allowing life to go on as much as possible. I am hoping we are close here in Michigan though with the fall will come a whole new set of challenges. 
Here is an idea for you and @DallasDMac to discuss with me. I think the younger folks should be working like there is no tomorrow meaning they shouldn't have time to fill up bars all day long. They are the least likely to die or have complications and tons of businesses need help right now. My son is 20 and the youngest manager at his work, he is flying thru promotions because they can't hire enough folks.

People over 50 should stay home or be working thru Zoom, etc but younger folks should be encouraged to pick up a rifle sort of speak(WWII Era)...we sent 18 yr olds to War, I know that part is sad but right now we are mostly asking them to just work 40 hours a week and fill in some of the employment gap that is crippling things. Can you even imagine if we had to ask these young men and women to go fight a war over seas?

I feel we could have two messages going at the same time...older folks and those with Pre-Exist need to be vigilant, all of us need to help these people so they don't have to be in public as often and can quarantine easier. That's all i'm saying, my rights are not really being infringed upon much. Yeah I gotta wear a mask but I can do more good on the ground wearing it and helping others. I live in a Community where we have a lot of Seniors and I try to do some small things like when I run to the grocery store for essentials, see if they need anything. 

This online community would give the shirt off their back to help someone suffering right now, it's painfully obvious. But we cannot assume that everyone feels that way or when we are out with the general public, you are going to come face to face or mask to mask or Face to Mask and you need to be ready how to handle that. People driving long distances are going to pass thru different restrictions in different areas, it would be wise to follow local instructions at a minimum. 

That's enough MOP  :lmao:

Thanks for the link.  Not sure I agree with a few of these though (and the details of each could drastically change the number of course).

Going to the beach is a 5 but working a week inside an office building is just a 6 ???  Um, no.  There should be a huge devide between the 5's and 6's (IMO).

Here is an idea for you and @DallasDMac to discuss with me. I think the younger folks should be working like there is no tomorrow meaning they shouldn't have time to fill up bars all day long. They are the least likely to die or have complications and tons of businesses need help right now. My son is 20 and the youngest manager at his work, he is flying thru promotions because they can't hire enough folks.

People over 50 should stay home or be working thru Zoom, etc but younger folks should be encouraged to pick up a rifle sort of speak(WWII Era)...we sent 18 yr olds to War, I know that part is sad but right now we are mostly asking them to just work 40 hours a week and fill in some of the employment gap that is crippling things. Can you even imagine if we had to ask these young men and women to go fight a war over seas?

I feel we could have two messages going at the same time...older folks and those with Pre-Exist need to be vigilant, all of us need to help these people so they don't have to be in public as often and can quarantine easier. That's all i'm saying, my rights are not really being infringed upon much. Yeah I gotta wear a mask but I can do more good on the ground wearing it and helping others. I live in a Community where we have a lot of Seniors and I try to do some small things like when I run to the grocery store for essentials, see if they need anything. 

This online community would give the shirt off their back to help someone suffering right now, it's painfully obvious. But we cannot assume that everyone feels that way or when we are out with the general public, you are going to come face to face or mask to mask or Face to Mask and you need to be ready how to handle that. People driving long distances are going to pass thru different restrictions in different areas, it would be wise to follow local instructions at a minimum. 

That's enough MOP  :lmao:
I didn't realize businesses were having a tough time hiring-  I would have thought it was the opposite. I am not up on that aspect at all. 

Thanks for the link.  Not sure I agree with a few of these though (and the details of each could drastically change the number of course).

Going to the beach is a 5 but working a week inside an office building is just a 6 ???  Um, no.  There should be a huge devide between the 5's and 6's (IMO).
Obviously there are so many variables there. How crowded is the beach, are you drinking and mingling with others or just staying close with your family. How a 40 year old and a 22 year old approach a day at the beach are possibly quite different. But it's a rough guide. 

To my knowledge local churches are not gathering down here...

I know half the congregation at Christ Fellowship, a local church I've never stepped foot in but get invited to all the time, lately no invites and they were having services online. 
My synagogue (Maryland suburbs of D.C.) sent out an email today that they would not be reopening for services or other in-person activities until the end of December, at the earliest.

My synagogue (Maryland suburbs of D.C.) sent out an email today that they would not be reopening for services or other in-person activities until the end of December, at the earliest.
Wow, that's aggressive. My church in NJ (NY border) just had their first live service yesterday (I didn't go and won't go until I feel things have died down a bit.) 

Meh. People spend the bulk of their time indoors with AC during that type of weather.

It wouldn’t be political if certain politicians didn’t invalidate mask use with their behavior.
I don't disagree with your 2nd point - I should have been more clear that I was referencing his point about wearing them walking around.  It is a huge PITA to wear a mask in 95 degree heat.  Most people will just choose to be indoors but not everyone.  Also, some people will just throw up their hands and leave the mask in the car instead of wearing it from the car to indoors.  Hopefully that group goes way down as it becomes more ubiquitous.

I'm in the deep south, and it's mostly politics.
I will say of the people where I know why they are doing it, it is usually politically but I guess I have a hard time just assuming that's why people are doing it.  Of note though, I'm not on social media so don't really know what people are saying.

Probably the same here, although my church meets in a school so that’s going to limit us anyway. We may try to find a way to meet in person as a one off if we can figure out a way/place to do it outside with enough space to appropriately distance.

We do have small groups/Bible studies meeting together outside though at homes, but are staying below 20 people distanced and have asked that everyone wear masks.

After almost 2 months of steady declining percentage of positives, our numbers are creeping back up in the last week. We had dipped below 7%, now we are back above 8. Hospitalizations and ventilator usage both creeping back up. :censored:   Deaths still about the same as the last couple of months as of right now. (~10-25/day). 

Personally, I'm not participating in things thru 2020...meaning I am not interested in gathering in large groups. I play Tennis-Doubles a lot and that involves 3 other people outdoors in 95 degree heat and it still makes me a little nervous, especially since the collective age of many club tennis players is well over 50. 

2020 is over, not the CV-19 mind you, we are in a war if people didn't get the memo already.

After almost 2 months of steady declining percentage of positives, our numbers are creeping back up in the last week. We had dipped below 7%, now we are back above 8. Hospitalizations and ventilator usage both creeping back up. :censored:   Deaths still about the same as the last couple of months as of right now. (~10-25/day). 
Our region is messing up the whole state!  How are things up your way?

Our region is messing up the whole state!  How are things up your way?
Not too bad as far as I can tell by the limited parish data they push out. 

Our total % positive is on a steady decline for the last 3 weeks (down to <8% from >10% in mid-June). Deaths pretty flat at 0-5 (mostly 0-2) per day for the last 3 months.

Really wish they published the by-parish hospitalizations vs capacity in each Region. They have the data. They show it at every press conference the Governor has. :wall:  

Stay safe, GB.

You're playing word games here.  Rolling lockdowns will happen, and people will abide by them when they do.  This isn't debatable.  Miami just stopped indoor dining.  That means that people CANNOT dine indoors now.  So yes, they are inconvenienced and there is nothing they can do about it.

If beaches get shut down, people will not be able to go to the beaches, thus they will be inconvenienced.  This isn't difficult.

Yes the USA never had a strict lockdown where it was illegal to leave your home, but no one has ever argued that this happened in the past, or should happen in the future.
I’m not trying to play word games.   People understand that the semi-lockdowns will reduce the number of cases but once those restrictions are lifted, the virus will take off again.  They don’t want to be inconvenienced just to kick the can down the road.   A lot of the fear that was driving social distancing and masks in March is gone.  If one place or activity is closed or taken away, many people will find a different way to gather.  As an earlier poster wrote, people are even flying again and sitting middle seats like sardines.    That is a big sign of the state of mind of many Americans.   

That is a big sign of the state of mind of many Americans.   
I never thought of "stupid" as a state of mind. But yes, it is right now. Amazing how little effort Americans are willing to make even when people's lives are at stake. As long as it isn't their own, no effort is to small for them to whine, complain and simply not do it.

I never thought of "stupid" as a state of mind. But yes, it is right now. Amazing how little effort Americans are willing to make even when people's lives are at stake. As long as it isn't their own, no effort is to small for them to whine, complain and simply not do it.
How come people don't complain this much about being forced to wear seat belts?

Edit for brevity...
The tricky part to this one I guess would be, young folks that go home to a household with older folks present. Have to be careful there as they could obviously bring it home. But man, if you were young and wanted to get out on your own, seems like it would be a good time. I imagine you could grab all the hours you wanted right. Grab a roommate, rent an apartment, and do your own thing.

How come people don't complain this much about being forced to wear seat belts?
We've had seat belt laws for 30+ years.  We've been telling people to wear masks for like 3 months.  It takes a lot of people a while to get used to change.  
Plus, seatbelts protect the wearer, masks protect others.  Most people are selfish, narcissistic dooshes.

If I recall correctly though, there was quite an uproar over seatbelt laws.  People simply don't like being told what to do.

Two weeks ago, before the county mandates here in FL, if you went into Whole Foods you're looking at 90% mask wearing.  Go into Bass Pro Shop and you're at 10%.  

I've been in a ton of bass pro shops and never in a whole foods.  I'm wearing a mask

I certainly don't fit this stereotype either.

I went to bass pro shop twice since this has started and both times there was less than 10% of people wearing masks while there were 90% of people wearing masks at our grocery store.

I also wore a mask at bass pro shop, but I agree with Captain's post that started this debate.

Plus, seatbelts protect the wearer, masks protect others.  Most people are selfish, narcissistic dooshes.

If I recall correctly though, there was quite an uproar over seatbelt laws.  People simply don't like being told what to do.
I had friends in college who refused to wear one (mid-90's). It was a big deal when the laws were being enacted.

I certainly don't fit this stereotype either.
Nor do I since I was obviously at both stores, but Whole Foods are more likely located in more densely populated, liberal areas while Bass Pro Shops are likely drawing a more rural, conservative patron.  It didn't take me long inside a BPS to realize I was in Trump country, mask or not.   

with seatbelts, you are being told what to do within your own personal property too.  i do wonder if non mask wearers all also non seatbelt wearers and anti vaxxers.

with seatbelts, you are being told what to do within your own personal property too.  i do wonder if non mask wearers all also non seatbelt wearers and anti vaxxers.
I think anti-vaxxers are their own category of crazy. I know plenty on both sides of the spectrum.

In the case of my sister, yup.  It's the personal responsibility of each adult to make that decision for themselves and their kids, I'm told.  Pleas that people are selfish and not responsible as evidenced by the outbreak in our area are met with a shrug.  

'Don't tell me what to do while I siphon off the sacrifices of others'

I was one of those (stupid) people. I refused to wear a seatbelt for a while. Then I took a physics class and everything changed.
Same. Except that I was probably the guy in the video you watched in physics class. Went through the windshield and was in a coma for three days. I wear my seat belt now. 

I was one of those (stupid) people. I refused to wear a seat belt for a while. Then I took a physics class and everything changed.
I'm glad you changed your mind but I'm mostly ok if a person chooses to not wear one (seat belt that is).  That really is a personal choice that doesn't impact others - although I guess you could make an argument about if I hit you and you die I could get charged with vehicular homicide even if you would have lived if wearing a seat belt.  In that case, it's a minor argument but generally speaking I'm ok with that.  Not ok with folks not wearing masks when in public and indoors.

Users who are viewing this thread